Ratings: Fringe Inches Up, Grimm Dips, Chuck Spies New All-Time Low, Blue Bloods High

For Pete’s sake, Fringe upticked a bit after being benched for two weeks straight. The Fox sci-fier returned to 3.3 million total viewers while scoring a 1.3 demo rating, up 4 and 8 percent from its last original episode.

Time slot rival Grimm (5.92 mil/1.8), meanwhile, dipped 10 and 14 percent from its solid premiere, yet outdrew Fringe in total viewers and won the 9 o’clock hour in the demo.

The news for Chuck, alas, was unarguably unfortunate. With 3.1 million viewers and a 0.8 rating, the spy comedy in the second week of its final, 13-episode season dropped 10 and 20 percent, hitting a new all-time low in the demo.

Elsewhere on the night….

8 pm | CBS’ Gifted Man (8.4 million viewers, 1.2 rating) held steady versus its last fresh episode and led the hour in total audience. Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, averaging 5.1 mil/1.3 across both hours, surged some 30 percent from last week’s World Series-impaired outing. Kitchen Nightmares (3.7 mil/1.5) inched up 7 percent. Nikita (1.8 mil/0.6) drew a handful more eyeballs but was flat in the demo.

9 pm | CSI: NY (9.65 mil/1.6) led the hour in total viewers and placed second in the demo, though down 10 percent from its last fresh eppy. Behind Grimm, EM: HE and Fringe, Supernatural was rock-steady at 1.72 mil/0.7.

10 pm | Blue Bloods was Friday’s most-watched program and drew the best demo rating, with 12.56 million total viewers and a 2.1 (up 15 and 24 percent, respectively). In fact, CBS notes, Blue Bloods copped its largest audience and best 18-49 numbers since its September 2010 series premiere, and hit an all-time high with the 25-54 crowd. Combined with A Gifted Man and CSI: NY, CBS in turn easily won the night on both counts

What did you watch live (or live-ish) this Friday night?

1. Azuriel says:

Reassures me, NBC will broadcast the last 11 episodes remaining of Chuck, right ? They can’t stop the show so close to the end after 5 years ?

• Becca says:

Ah that would suck so much! NBC’s been really loyal to Chuck over the years, I think even if the ratings continue to plummet, they’ll still finish out the season as a courtesy.

• Troula says:

They should air all the episodes… Unless they want an entire community against them. Chuck may not have high ratings, but as we all know has very loyal fans. It’s us after all that made 5 seasons of the Show. They wanted to stop it after season 2 for those who don’t remember. So, yes. THEY WILL AIR all the remaining episodes. For their shake after all.

• Bunny says:

I didn’t even know Chuck was on, I just happened to be channel flipping, I love Chuck, spread the word he’s back on!!!

• Ben says:

NBC set an end date for a reason. There is no point to cancelling it midway through such a short season. I think the chances of it not all being aired are very close to 0. It’s really great to see Chuck treated in such a respectful way. I really hope we see the same for Fringe.

2. mm says:

so happy Nikita got more viewers this week. Finally people are realizing how good this show is. Last nights episode was awesome as always and badass. Come on people start watching.

3. trev says:

NIKITA is the baddest kick-butt show on TV! Hope it gets renewed!

4. Melanie says:

Yaaay for Supernatural!

5. Audrey says:

Fringe is stable!!! Thank you sweet baby Jesus.

6. br says:

Well done, Fringe! Let’s inch up a bit more next week!

7. kea says:

It’s the worse for Chuck….i still love the show no matter what!!

8. Sg. Grant says:

Friday night, with Chuck, Fringe, Nikita, and now Grimm, has become one of the best nights for TV.

Though since it is Friday, I rarely watch any of these shows live.

9. mrflamethunder says:

Let’s make it 1.4 next week, Fringe!!

10. JJ says:

NBC just put Chuck out of it’s misery and cancel it. NO ONE is watching it! I don’t care if the fanbase is vocal they’re not large in number and it’s ratings are just terrible. Kitchen Nightmares beat it. Enough said. TV Line start writing next weeks column “Chuck latest episode, lowest rated ever” and repost it every week.

• Kris says:

I’ve never seen Chuck but I know a lot of people who enjoy the show. Why do you care what shows are doing better than it? How does that concern YOU? Lets leave it on for those who likes it,stop being a troll and shut up and go do something productive.

• skyfan says:

Chuck is trying to be less whimsical, it seems, and it’s NOT working! Now the show just seems to be serving out its time. I hope it improves, the writers have gotten out of their funk, and the end is truly memorable. I hope…

• JJ says:

Settle down Kris. Calling someone a “troll” because they posted their opinion begs your own question “How does that concern YOU?” and actually makes yourself the troll so please take your own advice. I can’t fathom why you’re so upset by me saying NBC should cancel a show and it’s not just because of you’re painfully poor grammar but its irrelevant nonetheless. The show consistently fails in the ratings so tell your friends who clearly have poor taste in tv shows to be the ones to go do something productive.

• Sunny says:

Ummm just shut up dude.

• Rowan says:

Just a word to the wise, JJ. If you’re going to piss on someone’s “painfully poor grammar,” have the common sense to fix your spelling. It’s “YOUR painfully poor grammar,” not, “You’re painfully poor grammar.” Unless you meant to say Kris is the physical embodiment of poor grammar, but I doubt that.

As for the ratings. Yeah, they stink. But the show has a loyal fan base and NBC likes the show creatively (although this season is a misfire so far. Let’s hope for better plotting in the remaining 11 episodes) and respects the fan base enough to give them closure. You don’t have to watch, so I suggest you find something else that interests you more.

• JC14 says:

JJ is a troll, folks. Please, no more feeding.

• Hothothot says:

Chuck is already canceled. It has 11 more episodes for the season and then its done.

• Carmichael says:

No one is watching it eh? I watch it. My nephew watches it. My cousin watches it. I’ve got friends scattered around the country that watch it. I guess we’re nobody.

• Ben says:

Lol JJ. The grammar thing was hilarious. But even more so… Chuck has already been cancelled. Keep up! This is its last season!

11. Annika says:

Way to go Fringe! And that pic is delicious ;)

12. TinCan says:

Matt, you are a punny, punny guy! I LIKE THAT! I also like how fast you add comments to this list. Keep up the good work.

13. Debbie says:

Go Blue Bloods! What a fantastic episode last night.

14. Anna says:

Team Grimm!

15. Kimo says:

I don’t care about the ratings! We love Chuck! We must get the full 13 episodes to finish – must see Chuck get the intersect back!

16. Tater says:

It’s a shame that the best show on Friday night at 8:00 P.M (IMO) has declining ratings…CHUCK deserves much better than it gets. There is not another show like it on television. I don’t know the true number of viewers of CHUCK cause I don’t know anyone who actually owns a Nielson box…And apparently NBC.com, DVR, and Hulu views account for nothing…But the viewers of Chuck is alot bigger than we get credit for. Either way I plan on being there till the very last second of the ride. #TeamBartowski and to borrow a concept (slightly altered) from another favorite show of mine Community… CHUCK: 100 episodes and a Movie!!!!

17. champmav says:

I’m SO irritated that networks program genre shows that appeal to the SAME DEMOGRAPHIC opposite each other (Fringe/Grimm; also, the most annoying example to me: Big Bang Theory/Community). They’d do better to AVOID CONFLICT by separating them in the broadcast schedules. Both networks would see improved ratings for their respective shows. Why can’t they see this?? Scheduling is one BIG reason quality programming gets canceled. Remember schedule-volleyball victim Firefly anyone? Anyone?

• Rowan says:

The demographic they are most concerned with is the 18-49. They care about it so much that when they refer to simply “the demo,” that’s the only group they mean, so by definition all primetime shows are after the same demo. Community and TBBT are two very different shows with very different comedy. NBC historically has had a comedy line-up on Thursdays for 30 years. What should they do? refuse to put sitcoms on opposite other sitcoms? Sci-Fi and fantasy shows on on Friday nights because the networks think that all “nerds” are dateless on a Friday night. It’s not based in fact, but in an outdated understanding of the small demographic that watches these shows. But I’ll let you in on a secret – they use the same day time-shifting numbers and add that to the actual broadcast time numbers as if they are the same number, so go ahead and DVR one and watch it before midnight (if you’re a Nielson that is. If not, it doesn’t matter what you watch. No one is paying attention).

18. kevin says:

A ratings boost is a ratings boost but I was wrong (thanks a lot whoever wrote it on the reply yesterday). Feels like CHUCK has a long way to go for its final episodes but we really don’t know on which NBC series will replace CHUCK after the series ends but my bet has to be AWAKE the new drama series starring Jason Isaacs or perhaps another series which I can’t think of one and let’s hope there’s fate for GRIMM on if the suspenseful fairy tale thriller gets a full season pick-up or maybe additional scripts just like it did for PAN AM and PRIME SUSPECT.

19. Ryan says:

Comcast DVR didn’t record Chuck as scheduled. I know my home doesn’t count, but now I have to watch it online or something.

20. Darren says:

Chuck might get better ratings if NBC actually did any kind advertising on it. Grimm got multiple mentions (commercials and teasers) during SNF and Parenthood (the only other NBC stuff I watch), but nothing on Chuck.
    NBC has already given up on it, IMO. I just hope they air the rest.

21. Christine says:

I love Grimm!

• Danielle H says:

I’m really enjoying it as well. The pilot was better then the 2nd episode, and maybe we need more life outta the lead, but it’s very interesting. I just hope it finds its groove and doesn’t get too campy because I think they are doing a good job at it right now.

22. Midori says:

Yes stable in the “clearly canceled” land.

23. LuLu says:

Hopefully Grimm will continue to drop…

• Ben says:

How mean. I never hope that programmes I do not watch drop. Why deprive others of the shows they like? In an ideal world, every show could finish on its own terms (mind you, in my ideal world, no scripted drama would go longer than about 6 or 7 seasons, and networks would tell shows ‘you are still rating well, time to go out on a high’)

24. Shayla says:

So freaking glad Fringe didn’t decrease :)

25. Justin says:

Fringe and Nikita, episode-wise, kicked butt last night! Loved them!

26. Charlotte says:

What I wouldn’t give for a Nielson box to help out Fringe! My house was actually selected for a Nielson box a WEEK before we moved out of state.

27. Mdz says:

So sad for Chuck :(..It’s and amazing show. Just hope the cast and Crew know how much we love and appreciate their work to keep our favorite show on the air in spite of these numbers..

28. Loni says:

Does anyone know why the episode of Chuck last night isn’t up on hulu or nbc.com? Usually shows are up the morning after. I just hope it isn’t a foreboding sign or anything…

29. Alice says:

So happy Peter’s back! Go Fringe!

30. jericho says:

In two episodes thus far, Chuck has literally taken everything that was fun about the series and gotten rid of it. Chuck is not “Chuck” without the intersect. There is no outside comedic relief, there was only a token bit of Jeff/Lester and absolutely zero of the Chuck we grew to love. With only 11 episodes left, here’s hoping that they fast turn around, give Chuck back the intersect and stop this lame crap with Morgan asap.

As for Fringe, we waited 2 weeks for that? It was a bland episode at best, that just pushed the idea that the otherside is worse than ever. We know there had to be consequences from last season, but make them actually… interesting.

31. matt says:

Awesome for Blue Bloods. And Grimm didn’t drop too much.

32. Dan says:

Hate ta say it but CHUCK is just bad now and deserves its low ratings…
    I’ve been a huge Chuck fan since the start and even watched the awful episodes in season 3 but the two episodes sofar this season is just bad.
    They really have to stop with the Morgan crap and move back to the show we used to love. So sad the last season had to go down like this.

33. Ana Muller says:

Peter is back yaaaay (: Fringe is awesome!

34. terry says:

i totaly agree i have loved chuck from the begining but this morgan is the intersect is complete crap. i would rather see jeff or lester as the intersect,ha kidding. chuck has to be the intersect.

35. terry says:

36. Danielle says:

I don’t understand the way ratings work – how could people with Neilson boxes possibly be representative of the entire population? We’re talking about a group of people who still watch Survivor (I’ve lost count of what season they’re on…), I can’t imagine that the same people would be interested in a show like Chuck. Shows like Chuck, Eureka, etc are being cancelled because of low ratings, but I can’t help but think that part of the problem is that the true audience is being ignored. And what about the people who watch the show online?

• Ben says:

Hey, Chuck and Survivor are pretty much my two favourite shows on at the moment. And my families too… we all love both. I imagine that there is quite a significant crossover there.

37. Vi says:

Put the intersect back into Chuck! That’s why the show was so great the first 4 seasons. Morgan is great as Chuck’s friend but the intersect needs to be Chuck!

38. J says:

All of friday is so hard to choose what to watch when it airs. Chuck or Nikita, Supernatural or Fringe. This week I chose Chuck and Fringe, I usually go with Supernatural but I was really excited to see Peter back on Fringe. And yes I’m really liking this season of Supernatural more than last, Chuck could be better, but it’s still awesome, Fringe keeps the thrills coming awesomely, but Grimm was such a let down for me. You need to have a special way to kill monsters or else they’re just hairy serial killers.

• Kathryn says:

I watched the first episode of Grimm and it just didn’t appeal to me. Since I love the fairy tale genre, I was hoping to have two shows, but I just didn’t care for it. I prefer Once Upon A Time. I love how they reimagine and add depth to the old fairytales I grew up on and love.

Nikita, for me, has been the best returning show. It’s just been hitting it out of the park every episode. I’ve enjoyed The Cleaner being more of a presence this season. That’s one creepy dude. And Percy is great. They’ve added some tension into Michael and Nikita’s relationship.

Glad to hear Nikita is getting a boost in the ratings.

• JC14 says:

Once Upon a Time is quite a bit lighter than Grimm with more direct interplay with the fairy tales. Grimm is a bit more like Supernatural
        IMOP….which is fine with me. It would suck if they were photo copies of one another.

39. Lisa says:

I refuse to give up my Fringe/Supernatural time slot to Grimm. I do like Grimm but I hope it moves to Syfy so as not to compete with the other great shows on Friday.

40. verver says:

Chuck and Grimm!!!

41. elke says:

I’m pretty sure that Chuck’s poor ratings have something to do with Morgan being the ‘intersect’…. It is BORING me to DEATH that Chuck doens’t have it. Once Chuck gets it back, we will be glued to our sets again!

42. chelsea says:

Blue Bloods is awesome this season!