60 Minutes Icon Andy Rooney Dead at 92

Legendary 60 Minutes curmudgeon Andy Rooney, who one month ago wrapped up his 33-year run as the program’s straight-shooting commentator, has died after suffering complications following minor surgery. He was 92.

“It’s a sad day at 60 Minutes and for everybody here at CBS News,” said CBS News chairman Jeff Fager. “It’s hard to imagine not having Andy around. He loved his life and he lived it on his own terms. We will miss him very much.”

CBS’ president and CEO Les Moonves said in a statement that Rooney’s “wry wit [and] unique ability to capture the essence of any issue, and his larger-than-life personality made him an icon, not only within the industry but among readers and viewers around the globe.”

Rooney is survived by his four children, five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

Press play below to relive some of Rooney’s more memorable onscreen rants. And then scroll down further to check out his very first Minutes essay circa July ’78.

60 Minutes will pay tribute to Rooney with this Sunday’s telecast.

Loading video...

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: In Memoriam, News

1. Scott says:

RIP, Andy! You were the only segment I would tune in for on 60 Minutes

2. robinepowell says:

Wow, I was shocked to hear that. I already miss his commentary at the end of 60 Minutes every Sunday. :(

3. Joe says:

I’ll miss those segments that you’d catch before amazing race started where he’d ramble in senility about the evil of things like plastic, electricity, talking pictures, and the new fangled telephone.

4. Rebecca says:

I see 41 comments for the ratings post that was made more than two hours after this one, and just four comments (prior to mine) for this piece. Ageism? Lack of respect? Whatever the reasons, it’s sad.

Andy Rooney usually spoke sense. We need more like him.

5. nitemar says:

Best spent minutes ever watching Andy. RIP and say hi to your high power friend you already met, Im sure.

6. Js says:

Why is the headline ‘Andy Rooney Dead’? That always seems kind of disrespectful to me. If you were a doctor, would you go to the family and scream, ‘HE’S DEAD!’? Why not say ‘Andy Rooney Passes Away at 92′? Even ‘Dies’ would be better than ‘Dead’.

7. jaq says:

Ageism? I am 23 and I grew up watching Mr. Rooney with my grandparents; even when I was 6 or 7, he seemed to make sense. I will always have fond memories of him and his rants. Television is much less interesting with out him. RIP Mr. Rooney!