Ratings: Bones Strong In Delayed Return, CBS Has a Good Night, NBC Comedies Rebound

Bang! Mama Bones delivered on Thursday night, welcoming back 10.02 million total viewers while scoring a 3.3 rating — up 22 percent in the demo versus its Season 6 premiere.

In its time slot, the Fox drama copped more viewers than Grey’s Anatomy and placed second in the demo behind the ABC medical drama. Compared to its May finale, Bones matched that total audience while gaining a tenth in the demo.

The Bones Season 7 Premiere, In Review: ‘Whatever Life We Want’

Over on CBS, the Eye eyed all-time Thursday highs for both The Big Bang Theory (15.5 mil/5.1) and Rules of Engagement (11.9 mil/3.7), while The Mentalist (13.5 mil/2.9) scored its best demo numbers since April. UPDATE: Per finals, Big Bang bagged 16 million viewers — its third-largest audience ever — and gained 0.3 in the demo to make its Thursday high a robust 5.4.

Also of note: With the World Series now out of the way, NBC’s comedy line-up — which got beaned hard last week — satisfyingly rebounded. Community (3.87 mil/1.7), for one, surged 22 percent versus last Thursday (and is up a bit from its pre-baseball tallies). Similarly, Parks and Recreation (4 mil/2.0) was up 11 percent week-to-week, and is up a tenth from its last “regular” outing.

Going hour-by-hour….

8 pm | Big Bang led the whole night in viewers as well as in the demo. The X Factor results show placed second in the hour with 11.3 million viewers and a 3.7 rating. Close behind the NBC comedies, The Vampire Diaries (3.34 mil/1.5) matched last week’s season highs. The penultimate episode of Charlie’s Angels (5.4 mil/1.2) placed last in the demo. UPDATE: Per finals, Vampire Diaries had its most-watched episode since Dec. 2, 2010 (3.5 mil) and its best rating (1.6) since Jan. 27.

9 pm | CBS’ Person of Interest (11.66 mil/2.7) led the hour in viewers, holding steady week-to-week. The Office (6.05 mil/3.1) was up a few percentage points from last Thursday, but is down a tenth in the demo from pre-World Series times. Whitney (4.33 mil/2.1) ticked up a bit. The Secret Circle (2.3 mil/0.9) was flat.

10 pm | Trailing far behind The Mentalist, Private Practice (6.8 mil/2.6) gained 6 and 8 percent to score its best numbers since the premiere. NBC’s Prime Suspect (4.47 mil/1.2) was up some 10 percent.

What were you watching this Thursday?

1. Ingmar says:

Good for Bones! I expected that. Sad to see Grey’s down but I bet it will be up in the finals. Plus, it made sense the show had to drop due the return of Bones. PP up, is nice aswell! In the finals I expect Grey’s to get a 3.6 and PP down a little point to a 2.5. Still great numbers for both shows!

• Patty says:

I am so glad to see Bones back on. I have recorded all of the old episodes and love to watch them over and over.. Please keep Bones and Booth together, you can see the love they have for each other and that is what makes the storyline work so well.. Thanks for being back on..

2. Lisa says:

Bones was fabulous!

3. Maria says:

Bones was indeed fabulous.

Could they have maybe chosen a better pic of Booth, though?

4. Alicia says:

The Mentalist KILLED last night (pun intended)! Definitely the best ep of the season (glad it pulled great numbers) and the ending was just brilliant. Way to keep your hands clean while doing dirty work…
    Patrick Jane is the undisputed master!
    Grey’s was good, but so help me, if they kill Henry ಠ_ಠ

• Alicia says:

Forgot to add, Simon Baker actually directed the episode. Good on you, mate! :)

• Sina says:

So true! Jane is really starting to freak me out (and yet, I’m loving it!) And apparently it’s going to get even more crazy, according to Simon Baker himself (tweeting last night on his assistants account)
      Can not wait!

5. rcwblessed says:

Let’s give credit, where credit is due. Seeley Booth (David Boreanaz) ROCKED this episode!!! Yes, I agree, Mama Bones (Emily Deschanel) delivered a good performance, as well.

6. John says:

One teensy thing. Booth still calling Brennan “Bones” now that they’re love is established sounds off, to my ears anyway. A nickname established alongside “squints” back when Booth was antagonistic towards the entire science thing doesn’t ring all that intimate…. so at tender moments it”s “Agent Booth”?

• Stacey says:

I disagree John, it’s nice to see they didn’t totally change their relationship. It’s a term of endearment and it’s a part of them.

I thought the entire cast did an amazing job. And let me just say Micheal Hodgins is an adorable scene stealing little guy! I was happy to see this new Booth and Bones, starting a family and evolving. Great job Bones cast and crew!

• John says:

Perhaps it has morphed into an endearing term, but it didn’t start that way. I totally agree it is wonderful to see that their relationship has added items (Brennan snapping naked omelet photos!) while holding onto who they’ve been as you say.

Oh yes on Micheal Hodgins being a scene stealer extraordinaire! I expect those grins on Cam’s face were unavoidable and were either anticipated or the writers just ad-libbed in her automatic reaction. That hat didn’t hurt,

• Ana Muller says:

Did you actually expect him to stop calling her Bones? God that would be so weird! I’m really glad with the way the writers handled the two of them being in a relationship without making us feel uncomfortable, it didn’t seem forced or over the top, I mean they are still essentially the same people, and I love that!

• John says:

It may be the effect of having just re-watched the pilot a short while ago: same name delivered with a different intent. Way different.
        Agent Booth was not a fan.

• shaun says:

Captain Kirk kept calling McCoy Bones even while best of friends.So it’s the intent not the name.

7. O'Brien says:

Bones continues to be a pretty good story in the raitings game – the show has continually gained viewers over time rather than lost them, a tough job for a scripted drama. So happy to see my favorite show being loved by so many!

8. Evelyn says:

Bones was FANTASTIC. They managed to get these ratings without having their cast do the usual talk show interviews. Off the air for 6 months, really no a great deal of traditional promotion and yet, still good ratings. Goes to show that when you have a show going into its 7th season where there writers and the cast are still passionate, you keep viewers coming back and new ones switching you on.

9. Julie says:

It might have been one of those «Amy episodes» we’ve been having for a while now, but I don’t mind I adored last night’s Big Bang Theory. I’m glad they are showing this needy side of Amy; we all said that she was the female Sheldon (which she is: Sheldon with female hormones) but I’m glad they are showing that she is different (and yet the only compatible match for Sheldon; just look at how he still went to save her from the sidewalk after the cuddling session). Mayim simply rules.
    (And I am SOOOOO happy that Leonard did specify that he was single again…. bye bye Priya!)

• Magically Suspicious says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one that won’t miss Priya. I do want Penny and Leonard to reunite, but my dislike of Priya goes beyond that. Her character was just annoyingly arrogant and controlling. Wouldn’t it have been much more fun to portray Penny’s rival and someone really likeable?

10. Kath says:

Glad Vampire Diaries is doing so well this season! It may not have the kind of quality worthy of Emmy’s, but it’s still honestly my favorite show on TV right now.

11. Ana Muller says:

I’m so happy Bones is doing well! Last night’s premiere was brilliant.

12. Arthur says:

The Mentalist was AWESOME last night! Who agrees?!

But I have a confession, I tried to watch Prime Suspect (again) – that was a BIG MISTAKE – I don’t like it. So that’s why I’m glad a switched to The Mentalist!

I think NBC should just go ahead and cancel Prime Suspect, I mean what are they waiting on? It’s gone belly-up like The Playboy Club & Free Agents.

I bet Bob Greenblatt regrets moving around Law & Order: LA and not trying to revive the mothership Law & Order!

13. Renee says:

Person Of Interest was terrific last night! I absolutely did NOT expect that ending. This show just gets better and better.

14. Ethel says:

I thought Bones was great last night! And why should Booth stop calling her Bones when she continues to call him Booth? The baby is adorable and it was wonderful watching Bones finally expressing human emotions and even admitting she loves Booth. Can’t wait for more next week.

15. shaun says:

I think CW will take Secret Circle being flat….it does have pretty good numbers and the story remains interesting.

16. Sg. Grant says:

Person of Interest is the best new show of the season. And one of the best shows, period.

My DVR gets a workout on Thursday nights. Monday nights, too.

17. TigerNightmare says:

Why why WHY does Whitney get better ratings than both Community AND Parks and Recreation? It doesn’t do that much better, but man, that sucks.

• Stephanie says:

I KNOW. It makes me die a little bit inside. Community is so awesome!!!

• Magically Suspicious says:

I know Whitney doesn’t get a lot of love, but I don’t hate it. Especially Alex. He’s such a funny character. Him being drunk and putting the moves on his pillow last night was hysterical.

18. Jasmine says:

I swear I have tried to watch BONES on a number of occasions and I just don’t see the appeal. It is at best, a pleasant, harmless cute show. People carry on like this is FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS. It’s not.
    PSYCH does it better and has for years.

• TigerNightmare says:

I’m with you, Jasmine. I watch the show regularly and I enjoy the character interaction, but the story of the week is almost always less than stellar. It’s the kind of show that lingers on my DVR until I’ve watched all my favorite shows first. I’ll probably watch last night’s episode on Wednesday.

• Selbs says:

Jasmine, TigerNighmare – what show are you watching? Bones is, without a doubt, the most amazing scripted show to come along in decades. Exaggeration? Maybe, but how can any person come away from any episode and not be madly in love with this unbelievable cast? I have never seen a show with such chemistry between each and every character – from squints to Bones and Booth. Only criticism about last night’s show, Bones telling Booth she loved him was more of a throw-away line than a heart-felt special moment between them. No matter, this is a show for the ages!

• TigerNightmare says:

I’ll give you that the cast is great, like I said, but as far as greater cast chemistry in a drama, I’d have to say anything Joss Whedon, Veronica Mars, Friday Night Lights, Lost, 24 has at least as much.

Hell, Bones got rid of the black dude no one remembers after season one and they made Zack a serial killer apprentice in the most hated storyline for the show ever. That was worse than the cast shake-up on House and that says a lot.

19. Alisa says:

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. And Bones delivered!!! I keep rewatching the episode. Thank you for dvr!!!

20. Ed says:

Grey’s was very good, it was nice taking a stroll down memory lane with Ms. O’Malley. I still miss George AND Izzie :(

Secret Circle on the other hand, ROCKED! Kept me thinking until the very end. I just hope it can pull in better ratings.

• Jessica says:

Grey’s was wonderful last night. It’s much better this year than last year. I loved Mrs. O’Malley coming back and especially loved her scenes with Callie. Callie trying to tell her about her new life was hysterical!

21. BonesFringeFan says:

BONES WAS A-FREAKING AMAZING <3 I'm SOO happy that the rating reflected that :)))

22. Niobe says:

“The Mentalist” was good last night and very creepy. Almost too dark. And Simon Baker did an excellent job directing. I loved when Lisbon got all tough on the red herring guy. And what was with Jane trying to teach her to use her instincts more? It was interesting to watch but it seemed to lead to nowhere. Are they going to do more with it or was that a single episode thing? I don’t like how they seem to want to lead the audience to Jane being a psycho and possibly Red John now. If that’s the path they’re going to take I might have to stop watching. I like “Dexter” but I knew he was a psychopath when I signed up for the show. Jane hasn’t been characterized that way at all (even though, to be fair, the possibility was always open). In season one remember how he gave that woman from the casino all that money for the operation for her mom whose liver was failing? Or gave money to an orphanage or some charitable establishment like that? He’s cared for his friends and cheered them up and done nice things like that from the beginning and I really love that about him. A psychopath wouldn’t have compassion or empathy like that.
    I’m glad “Bones” did well last night. They’re starting off on a fresh twist to the show and I hope they don’t pull a “House” debacle and get their fans excited about finally getting the main pair together only to destroy them utterly in front of the fans’ eyes. I keep reading over and over again from fans (and have all summer and even today people have discussed this) who are either current or ex-”House” fans that they will never get into a ship again like House/Cuddy because the producers or FOX (or whoever made the call to go all destructo on the ship like they did-I don’t know who is responsible) burned them so badly. I think Hanson is a good producer who won’t pull that on his fans. At least, I hope he is.
    Sorry for the ramble, Matt. As always, thanks for the great work you do on this site. :)

• Sg. Grant says:

I think you took the Mentalist the wrong way.

They weren’t trying to lead the audience the think Jane is a psycho or is Red John. Jane was simply provoking the blogger on the tv show into publicly talking about how SJK was better than Red John. Jane knew that the real Red John was still out there. As a result, Red John took out the blogger, who was also the SJK. Thus, Jane was able to “kill two birds with one stone.” SJK is out of the picture, and Red John has shown that he is still alive.

• @Sg. Grant says:

I knew what he was going to do before he did it with the blogger. I knew as soon as I saw him staring at the blinking red light he was baiting him and RJ. But they are leaving hints, like the new chief-what’s his name?-saying that he’s a psychopath in an earlier episode and with the carefully constructed ambiguity, especially near the end of last night’s episode. But believe me, I hope I’m wrong. I truly enjoy this show, I think Jane is awesome and I love the team-not a single boring or unlovable character in the bunch. Because of this I don’t want to suddenly come to an episode one day revealing, woops! One these people that we made you love and watch all this time well, they are really a psychopath/sociopath. I love the family dynamic that they have, much like the NCIS team has and Jane is part of that. I think the “House” fiasco of last season, what they made him into and everything they did is telling of the power producers have and how they can muck everything up because they don’t see things from the same perspective a fan does. So as a fan, if you get lucky, you have a really great showrunner who cares about and appreciates (not just gives lip service but truly appreciates) their fans and finds a nice balance to make the show great and do some of what they want and give the fans little things they like here and there as well. Bruno is one of my favorite showrunners, of the shows I watch. In every interview I’ve seen him in he’s smart, nice and articulate. And thus far he has never disappointed me. This season is shaping up to be one of their best. They’ve had funny episodes, episodes filling us in with good backstory on the characters, great banter, some nice tension with Grace and Rigsby, and some nice Jane and Lisbon moments, good action, good stories that run from dark and somber like last night’s – to light, fun, funny and interesting, like ‘Pretty Red Balloon.’ Thanks for the chat. Always glad to “speak to” a fellow “Mentalist” fan. :)

23. K_Frem says:

I agree, I think Bones is a term of endearment. He’s the only one she lets call her that. Plus, he doesn’t like anyone else to call her that! And I love how they still have their banters and even more serious arguments! And Booth snapping pics all the time, adorable! Also noteworthy, him driving with the siren cause she fell! Lol

24. Rachel says:

Bones was amazing, although the case of the week was downright boring. The Mentalist was not as all-around strong, but as they started to wrap up the case-of-the-week it got really good, and the ending BLEW ME AWAY. All in all, a great night of TV. (Also Burn Notice was back! Hooray!)

25. kevin says:

NBC better cancel PRIME SUSPECT very, very quickly until the end of the year ’cause if it does, I’ll better switch to THE MENTALIST and it truly does have a great following with PERSON OF INTEREST on CBS every Thursday nights.

26. Grey's lover says:

Well the first minute of Grey’s Antomy was great. It had moments of greatness, but it used to have 43 minutes of it. I’ll agree with others that it’s so much better than last year. They can’t write this unless they find out if EP, PD, SO, SW,JC,and other’s sign on for a new season. A lot of filler so far. ABC GET ON IT!

27. Eric says:

Vampire Diaries, Mentalist & Person of Interest. All these shows blew me away! TVD had one of the best episodes this season with the Originals story. Who else thinks Mikael is awesome!
    Mentalist just got more dramatic and thrilling with the confirmation of Red John being alive and Jane getting rid of the psychopath SJK along the way. I like this new Jane!
    Person of Interest! WOW! What an awesome ending! They already showed us the main bad guy – Elias this early!!
    I’m just happy that all my fav Thursday shows are doing so well.

28. VaultDweller says:

Am I the only who really, I mean really, likes Prime Suspect? I find myself looking forwards to every episode, even more than most of the other shows that I follow. I’d even go as far as to say that it’s one of the best new (as far as you can call PS “new”) shows this season. The only other new show I like so much is Homeland, and perhaps Revenge. There are a lot of good shows this season overall though, so I am bit concerned about PS’ chances of a full season pickup. And even if it does get picked up for a full season, I’m afraid it will end up receiving the same treatment that the equally awesome Detroit 1-8-7 got last year.

• Adrienne says:

I really like Prime Suspect, and this past week’s episode with the woman picking up men and killing them with ketamine was great. I like Jane with her boyfriend- hope they show more of him- and I like the detectives and their grumpy personalities. I especially liked the ending with Jane at the shooting range- fantastic!

29. Kelly says:

I hate that Whitney gets more viewers than Community. Community is 100 times better.