Nathan Lane, Cheyenne Jackson and Scrubs Alum Booked for USA Comedy Pilot

USA Network, which recently began to expand its brand by picking up two comedy pilots, has locked in primary casting on one of them.

In an as-yet-untitled comedy from Bullets Over Broadway scribe Douglas McGrath, Nathan Lane — also an executive producer on the project — will star alongside fellow Great White Way staple Cheyenne Jackson, who most recently exercised his funny bone on both Glee and 30 Rock, as well as Scrubs/Cougar Town alum Ken Jenkins.

Lane will play Jasper, an unlucky actor who puts his life (and middling career) on hold to move back to his Texas hometown and care for his ailing father (played by Jenkins). Jackson’s character, Tim, is the town’s handsome doc who befriends the recent import.

USA, which to date is best known for its dramas and dramedies, also recently greenlit Paging Dr. Freed, a half-hour comedy pilot about two brothers who take over their father’s medical practice after his untimely death.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Pilots

1. Mark says:

Cheyenne Jackson is just a friend, right? Not a potential love interest, right? Please say this.

• Sam says:

I would be ecstatic if USA had a LGBT show.

• CJ says:

And what would be wrong with a love interest, Mark? Probably not happening on USA, but it would be interesting!

• Mark says:

You misunderstood my post. Absolutely nothing would be wrong with a love interest for Lane IF it is age appropriate. Victor Garber and Nathan Lane would make a lovely couple for example. Cheyenne Jackson though who is 36 and Lane who is 55 though doesn’t work for me.

• CJ says:

I’ll grant that Cheyenne Jackson would seem to be an unlikely love interest for Nathan Lane. The age difference itself doesn’t bother me, but in such cases, the older partner is very difference from the kind of character generally played by Nathan Lane. I have to say, though, that Cheyenne Jackson as Nathan Lane’s love interest seems less unlikely than Ken Jenkins as Nathan Lane’s father. I presume they will “olden” Jenkins, or “youngen” Nathan Lane (or possibly both).

2. Rhian says:

USA have a pretty good track record IMO (White Collar, Burn Notice, Suits etc) so I’m really looking forward to this.

It’s about time Cheyenne Jackson had a lead role (I have the brilliant “Power of Two” on repeat on my i-Pod as I type!!) and Nathan Lane is always good value.

3. Angie says:

With actors as awesome as these, I’ll definitely be watching!

4. Julio says:

Anything Cheyenne Jackson (and Nathan Lane for that matter) will definitely peek my interest. Good job USA!