Nathan Lane, Cheyenne Jackson and Scrubs Alum Booked for USA Comedy Pilot

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

USA Network, which recently began to expand its brand by picking up two comedy pilots, has locked in primary casting on one of them.

In an as-yet-untitled comedy from Bullets Over Broadway scribe Douglas McGrath, Nathan Lane — also an executive producer on the project — will star alongside fellow Great White Way staple Cheyenne Jackson, who most recently exercised his funny bone on both Glee and 30 Rock, as well as Scrubs/Cougar Town alum Ken Jenkins.

Lane will play Jasper, an unlucky actor who puts his life (and middling career) on hold to move back to his Texas hometown and care for his ailing father (played by Jenkins). Jackson’s character, Tim, is the town’s handsome doc who befriends the recent import.

USA, which to date is best known for its dramas and dramedies, also recently greenlit Paging Dr. Freed, a half-hour comedy pilot about two brothers who take over their father’s medical practice after his untimely death.

Comments (9)

• Cheyenne Jackson is just a friend, right? Not a potential love interest, right? Please say this.

Comment by Mark – November 4, 2011 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would be ecstatic if USA had a LGBT show.

Comment by Sam – November 4, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And what would be wrong with a love interest, Mark? Probably not happening on USA, but it would be interesting!

Comment by CJ – November 4, 2011 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You misunderstood my post. Absolutely nothing would be wrong with a love interest for Lane IF it is age appropriate. Victor Garber and Nathan Lane would make a lovely couple for example. Cheyenne Jackson though who is 36 and Lane who is 55 though doesn’t work for me.

Comment by Mark – November 4, 2011 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’ll grant that Cheyenne Jackson would seem to be an unlikely love interest for Nathan Lane. The age difference itself doesn’t bother me, but in such cases, the older partner is very difference from the kind of character generally played by Nathan Lane. I have to say, though, that Cheyenne Jackson as Nathan Lane’s love interest seems less unlikely than Ken Jenkins as Nathan Lane’s father. I presume they will “olden” Jenkins, or “youngen” Nathan Lane (or possibly both).

Comment by CJ – November 5, 2011 03:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • USA have a pretty good track record IMO (White Collar, Burn Notice, Suits etc) so I’m really looking forward to this.

It’s about time Cheyenne Jackson had a lead role (I have the brilliant “Power of Two” on repeat on my i-Pod as I type!!) and Nathan Lane is always good value.

Comment by Rhian – November 4, 2011 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With actors as awesome as these, I’ll definitely be watching!

Comment by Angie – November 5, 2011 02:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anything Cheyenne Jackson (and Nathan Lane for that matter) will definitely peek my interest. Good job USA!

Comment by Julio – November 5, 2011 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post