House's Jesse Spencer on Romance with the New Doc and His Series-Ending Death Wish For Chase

“This is turning out to be the best season for me,” declares the actor, whose alter ego, Chase, officially rejoins House’s team in Monday’s episode. “The [casting] shift and the new characters have opened things up a lot and given the writers more of a chance to write for Chase. It’s really exciting for me to play with, and it’ll be exciting for any Chase fans out there.”

Spoiler Alert: Departing Show Poised to Kill Off Major Character

Might some of this “exciting” material include a romance with new girl Adams? In the following Q&A, Spencer confirms that sparks will begin to fly between Chase and Odette Annable’s rookie doc. He also hints at tensions with new boss Foreman (Omar Epps), previews two upcoming Chase-centric episodes, and shares the one (really dark) storyline he’d like to play before House (the show) checks out for good.

TVLINE | Was it weird being back on set this season with all the new faces?
Sort of. I didn’t know [Odette and fellow newbie Charlyne Yi], so I got to know them more or less at the same time [as Chase]. It’s good. They’re trying to learn how House operates and how he works. And Chase and Taub are coming back as the tried-and-tested doctors, so they sort of guide them in the first couple of episodes. We give them hints as to what House is doing and what we think he’s thinking. We mentor them a little bit.

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on House, Castle, Gossip Girl, Fringe, Dexter and More!

TVLINE | In a clip from Monday’s episode, House wastes no time playing matchmaker between Chase and Adams. Have there been any other hints that the show is building to a romance?
Yes and no. There are definitely scenes where there’s some flirting going on. But they also disagree a lot, which could be translated as sexual tension, I suppose. [Something is] definitely there, but whether they actually follow through with or not, I don’t know. The good thing about our show is they don’t want to turn it into, “Who’s sleeping with who?” They want to stay focused on the medical storylines and how we respond to the patients. That always comes first. But the flirting thing with Odette is nice to have on the side.

TVLINE | Foreman has gone from being Chase’s equal to his boss. Any tension there?
There is a bit of ribbing that goes on. [Chase and Taub] give him a little crap because he’s the boss now. Foreman is trying to assert his dominance in that position and Chase and Taub sort of laugh at that because they know who he is. [Laughs] They’re not sure why he’s trying to manhandle House. I’m interested to see where that goes, in terms of whether we end up helping Foreman or helping House, because we have loyalties on both sides.

TVLINE | Any Chase-centric episodes coming up?
I’m happy to say there are. There’s going to be some stuff in the next couple of [episodes that we're going to shoot] that really focuses on Chase, which is great. I’m really looking forward to that. I’ve heard hints about what it’s about.

House Exclusive First Look: Here Comes the Bride!

TVLINE | Anything you can share? Does it relate to his career? Personal life? Family members coming to visit?
Um…. None of those, actually. [Laughs]. There are two [separate stories]. The second one I don’t know what it’s about. The first one involves a patient. Chase is affected by a patient. A patient gets into his head and it will have implications.

TVLINE | A decision about whether this will be the final season is expected soon. What are you hearing?
I heard a decision would have to be made by now, too. Who really knows? If we were going to wrap up the season it would be nice for [series creator] David Shore to know by now, so he has time to complete the job properly. But I really don’t know… I’m preparing for it to end. I think that’s the best way to look at it. And then if it does [end], I’m prepared. And then if it happens to go for another year, I’ll deal with it then. The energy on the show feels really good this year. And the writing is still top-notch. I’m really enjoying this season… I think the main thing is people don’t want to feel like they’re floating a dead horse. And I don’t think we are. It’s the No. 1 show in the world again. [Laughs] And I think there’s a reason for that. If it kept going I wouldn’t be against it.

TVLINE | Anything you’d like to see Chase do before it ends?
It’s very cliché, but I’ve never ended up in a hospital bed. Chase is pretty much the only [character] who hasn’t gotten sick at some point.

TVLINE | You’re right! We definitely need to see Chase almost die.
[Laughs] It’s so cliché, but it would be kind of cool. I want to be in a bed for an episode dying and self-diagnosing.

Want House scoop and spoilers 24/7? Follow me on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

Comments (91)

• Jesse Spencer is the best thing about House for me. I can’t wait for monday!

Comment by Sophie – November 4, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First!

I like that they’re going to put more focus on Chase. I wish they would bring back Cameron for the final season, though. Cameron vs the new girls would be kinda cool

Comment by Stephen – November 4, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So close :(

Comment by Stephen – November 4, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • um, she’s kind of busy with a little show called once Upon A Time.

Comment by Dessy – November 4, 2011 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s not unheard of for actors to do guest spots on other shows…

Comment by Stephen – November 4, 2011 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Not to mention that Once… totally sucks.

Comment by tripoli – November 4, 2011 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Once is awesome. It´s Jennifer Morrison who sucks. Don´t blame the show because the boring lead.

Comment by Kelly – November 4, 2011 04:08 PM PDT
          • You both suck with you stupid comments get over it already.

Comment by Valerie – November 4, 2011 06:01 PM PDT
          • Neither Once nor Jennifer sucks. What really sucks is jealous bitches (male or female doesn’t matter) like you.

Comment by Sam – November 5, 2011 06:31 AM PDT
          • OUAT is an AWESOME show. Considering that it only took two episodes to get a full season pickup, most people would agree.

Comment by Emgee – November 5, 2011 07:01 AM PDT
          • The show could be great but that doesn’t help the fact that JMo is not a good actress.
            But let’s not talk about OUAT here.

Comment by MiMi – November 5, 2011 07:39 AM PDT
          • Seriously? Once is fun.

And frankly, Jennifer Morrison is far better playing a badass than she ever was on House. Playing Cameron must have been like trying to hit a moving target.

Comment by Sharona – November 5, 2011 07:46 PM PDT
      • how many haters! envious? Jenn is hot/good actress/real woman, marry me baby XD

Comment by gHg – November 5, 2011 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Hot? She looks old for her age. Good actress? Yeah whatever. Real woman? Yes, except for her new fake boobs. Probably the rest is real.

Comment by Sally – November 5, 2011 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • new fake boobs? ehh?? are you drunk?
            old for her ages? ehhh??
            some people are crazy, totally really!

she is good actress and real woman! yes, she is. what is your problem? jealous? some women are witches, she is so sweet and adorable.

Comment by cate – November 7, 2011 07:56 PM PDT
          • I think she looks young for her age. She’s a great actress; I’ve seen her in other roles. And she most definitely did not have breast implants. That’s just a silly rumor. But I guess some people will like who they like, and hate who they hate.

Comment by Emily – April 11, 2012 10:21 PM PDT
        • Let’s see, Jen is the lead of a new hit show, Lisa E got a little arc and no one is talking about her anymore. Yes, LE fangirls are so bitter, lmao, they want to watch for LE but there’s nothing to watch for

Comment by Ash – November 5, 2011 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • ^^^ Ditto Ash well said …. also @Sally & MiMi jealous much? you both are really sad and pathetic envious woman who need to grow up already. is getting so Lame this silly hate for Jennifer.

Comment by Ginna v. – November 5, 2011 07:33 PM PDT
          • @Ginna v.: Why would I be a “pathetic envious woman” just because I criticize someone’s acting? You should grow up, dear.

Comment by MiMi – November 6, 2011 05:35 AM PDT
          • hahahahahahaha precisely, Ash

Comment by wtfisthisshow – November 7, 2011 09:36 PM PDT
    • I was not able to follow the show for a long time. Whatever happened to Chase and Cameron? Weren’t they married?

Comment by Virginia jones – May 23, 2012 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to see Chase almost die…for a fan of the character that sounds weird lol

Comment by Christine – November 4, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Horray for more Chase!

For those of you who would like to see a sick/hurt/dying Chase storyline (hey, it’s good drama! medial stuff happening to a beloved character on a medical show!), check out the Sick!Chase Fan Fiction List. Over 300 fan-written stories, by a variety of authors, listed so far… recommended reads are marked with a star. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll want to give Chase a hug :). We also include a links list to help you research and write your very own Sick!Chase fic!

Enjoy!

Comment by resourceress7 – November 5, 2011 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jesse is sooooo awesome!!!!

Comment by LINDA – November 4, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its so good to have Jesse Spencer / Chase back on the show again! Can’t wait to see whats going to happen to Chase this season! Thats why I watch!!!!!

Comment by Michelle – November 4, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chase!!!!!! Where have you been??? We missed you!

Comment by MIA – November 4, 2011 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as Chase – Jesse Spencer is back and on House again I’m going to watch!

Comment by Kimi – November 4, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank god the Chase-less time on House is over! Hopefully he’ll really gets those great storylines :)

Comment by CC – November 4, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i knowz i want Allison Cameron 2 come back i onlly wacth episodess with her or masters in it :P

Comment by maggie – November 4, 2011 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please, no more office romance. I’m actually struggling to see how it work. Adams is such an over achiever and Chase borders on Jim Halpert levels of not caring. Regardless, good interview.

Comment by D – November 4, 2011 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No romance is right. All they need is House, Chase & Wilson, and some interesting medical puzzles for them to work out.

Comment by maggie – November 4, 2011 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Chase how I have missed you <3
    So happy you'll be back soon!

Comment by Sue – November 4, 2011 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too, I missed Chase. Cross my fingers for a great season form him!

Comment by Heidi – November 4, 2011 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jesse Spencer’s return gives me new hope for House! I just hope the writers keep their promise and give him the good storylines he and his fans deserves!

Comment by Dorn – November 4, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally! Jesse is such a great actor and Chase is my favorite character so I was going to give up on the show if he wasn’t coming back next season. Now here’s hoping the writers actually give him a good storyline.

Comment by ST – November 4, 2011 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad that Chase is coming back. These last few episodes haven’t been the same without him.

Comment by maggie – November 4, 2011 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for monday when Chase/Jesse returns to #House!
    Jesse is such a great actor and such a total hottie too :)

Comment by Jo – November 4, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chase is my favorite team member, always was my House season #8 starts on monday!

Comment by DD – November 4, 2011 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awww Chase! Why isn’t it monday yet?!

Comment by Kate – November 4, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So looking forward to Dr. Chase’s return!

Comment by Kabby – November 4, 2011 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do hope Chase gets a real dramatic storyline! But he is just too pretty to die :)

Comment by Uma – November 4, 2011 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chase is BACK!!!

Comment by Sammie – November 4, 2011 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not only is Jesse Spencer back but it looks like TPTB have finally realized how much the fans love and miss Chase. We’ve waited a long time for him to have a substantial arc and it looks as if we’re at last going to be rewarded. Thanks for the great interview, Michael. Can’t wait to hear more.

Comment by Finally! – November 4, 2011 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not a Chase fan and certainly haven’t missed him.

Comment by NotAChaseFan – November 4, 2011 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news yet!

Comment by Cam – November 4, 2011 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I missed Chase sooooooooooooo much! He is my favorite! Jesse Spencer is the BEST <3!!!!

Comment by Penny – November 4, 2011 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very glad to have Chase back. Too bad I can’t say the same about Taub. I hope things work out so we can have another season. I adore Hugh Laurie and would really miss him. :(

Comment by Grace – November 4, 2011 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t sure if they were coming back but sooo glad they are!..It is definitely a different show now but I still like it. I however feel they should end it after this year, don’t let it get dumb.

Comment by J – November 4, 2011 11:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when will you upload this interview to youtube?

Comment by liat – November 5, 2011 12:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “House vet Jesse Spencer found a silver lining to the show’s recent cast changes in the unlikeliest of places: his scripts.”

Thanks Ausiello, for spelling it out. The actor has been criminally under-used for over three years now (with the exception of S6 arguably), and it is about time they give the more talented cast members some substantial story lines. Did they really have to get rid off the superhot movie star and House’s love interest to realize what a great character Chase is? S8 starts on Monday for me, and I’m really thrilled about the upcoming eps now. It’s nice to hear the enthusiasm back in the interview. If Jesse Spencer is happy with the show, then things can’t be so gloomy. Hopefully there will be another season, and they better not let Chase die!!!

I’m confident they’re up to better things than another dreadful office romance for Chase. Since the new doc seems so much Cameron (ugh), I’d like Chase to hit her over the head a few times, metaphorically speaking! I always loved him with House and their interplay. If I get some of those again, it would be perfect.

Comment by Nina – November 5, 2011 01:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woohoo I can’t wait for Chase’s comeback :) I also hope we get lots of Chase & House interaction!

Comment by Maria – November 5, 2011 02:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah Chase the ManWhore is back. Any bets on how many women he will be dating at one time.
    Now that is Can’t Miss TV

Comment by Ebowers – November 5, 2011 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well if you remember the last episode in season 7 (with 13′s cell mate) He wasn’t out with women when she phoned for help and was laid on his bed reading a book about the Crusades. We all saw Chase look sad and empty in the episode where he was betting Foreman about NOT sleeping with the women and although at the end of the episode he was in bed with a women…he sat up and looked lost…then we get the episode with where he’s just laid in bed reading…As most Chase fans know, he is an ex-seminarian, and although most people thing he’s lost his faith, he hasn’t! In-fact, we see and hear much more of his faith come to the forefront in season 7. Chase is the counter weight to House. House likes to play God while not believing in Him and Chase does believe in Him. In ‘House Training’ he say’s to Foreman that he likes to talk to God. In ‘Here Kitty’ He tell the patient that he believes in Faith and Prayer ( but not in the O.R) There are actually quite a lot of references to Chases faith throughout the entire series. He lost his way after Allison left him and went on a women bender..but by the end of season 7 he was back to being at home
      The book he was reading was called Crusades and it’s about the 12C religious crusades..it couldn’t have been more obvious if they’d placed a bible on his chest during that scene! So, I think, his ‘faith’ issues will surface more and more. The one thing that does affect him are issues of Faith..and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the writers don’t have Chase have some sort of epiphany and run off to join Doctors Without Borders..or some sort of other ‘giving’cause.
      If you’re in any doubt about this watch this interview with Jesse.
      go to YouTube and type in “Jesse Spencer & Lisa Edelstein. Fans Ask Part 4″ he talks about Chases faith.
      and another little tidbit. Jesse actually has bible quotes and ‘Gods daily love’ quotes twitterd to his account daily..and also twitterd that he likes to give thanks every night before sleeping..so that say’s a lot about Jesse.

Comment by Oceandeep – November 8, 2011 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry for the long post…it just get’s me annoyed that people think ( and fanfic) that he’s lost his faith..when if you really watch the show, you’ll know that although, at times he’s lost his way, he still have belief. Not in religion per se, but in his relationship with God. Oh and I’m not some religious freak..I just watch the show. ;)

Comment by Oceandeep – November 8, 2011 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Cameron

Comment by sara – November 5, 2011 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ll second that. IMHO, she was the most interesting of any of the team members, but putting her together with Chase was the wrong move…the ST between her and House was great. There was almost nothing between her and Chase…never been able to figure that pairing out.

Comment by Pat D. – November 5, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad to hear that Chase will be returning to House – the show isn’t the same without him. Jesse Spencer’s very talented and deserves to have some of the limelight, for a change, after being loyal to the show for 8 seasons.

Comment by Great! – November 5, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting that he says that the energy on set is better this year than last year, I wonder why……..

Comment by Maddy – November 5, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A storyline for Chase in the last season, really?
    Is it still a show about House?

Comment by JT – November 5, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Echo de menos Jennifer

Comment by jhon – November 5, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly dont care if Chase gets a new love interest. We need better cases and storylines to keep things interesting.

Comment by cher – November 5, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • does anyone know whatever it was aired or whatever there be a rerun?

Comment by liat – November 5, 2011 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news!!! Chase was always my No.1 duckling!

Comment by LK – November 5, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its fantastic that Jesse Spencer will finally return to House on monday. Of all the characters, besides House himself, Chase has always been the most interesting one for me. Now I’m really looking forward to see the new episodes!

Comment by Jill – November 5, 2011 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEAH!!!!! for more Chase and hopefully more Chase and House interaction!

Comment by Pia – November 5, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad and happy that Chase is back now! Jesse deserves to get a good story-line this year :) Can’t wait!

Comment by Jamie – November 5, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited to see Jesse Spencer back…but please, no more romantic storylines for Chase. He’s talented but even he couldn’t save that crap they wrote for him last season. It’s not fun to see a female character largely defined by her romantic relationships (*coff*Cameron*coff*), totally true for male characters, too.

Comment by Sharona – November 5, 2011 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :((

Comment by Samia – November 6, 2011 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, I didn’t think the House spoilers could get any more boring, but this new batch is absolutely pathetic. Remember when House was can’t miss TV? After the destruction of Cuddy and Rachel’s home, the life completely went out of this show. It’s sad to see the decline.

Comment by Dara – November 6, 2011 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The decline of the show started with the awful huddy, Cuddy and Rachel are finally out of the way but the damage they made to the show is sadly too big

Comment by Lor – November 6, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DID DAMAGE GY, DS, NBC and Fox

Comment by LOLA – November 6, 2011 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy that Chase is back! He is the BEST!!!!! :) :) :)

Comment by SAMANTHA – November 7, 2011 03:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With Lisa Edelstein and Olivia Wilde and Jen Morrison gone and a rather wacko story arc, HOUSE isn’t what it used to be and I may not be watching it anymore. I’ll give it a chance with Chase and Taub back, but I suspect I will have lost interest and take it off my TV watching schedule.

Comment by charlie – November 7, 2011 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh…whatever !!! i absolutely LOVE ‘ once upon a time ‘ !!!! faithful watcher !!!!

Comment by brandy – November 7, 2011 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be glad to see both Chase and Taub back. The only female characters I’ve liked were Amber and Thirteen (guess I like them tough). I am not comfortable with Foreman as the boss. He is not a good fit in that position, but I guess there isn’t a better fit available. Looking forward to tonight’s show!

Comment by Deborah – November 7, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What you do not know if Cameron is going to return anyway she confirmed the end of the season in the last chapters will come out and I’m glad and very

Comment by Giselle – November 7, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jennifer morrison is an ok actress. dont diss her on her looks. although I didn’t like when she went blonde. Anyways, I think chase should end up with odette simply because cameron never really loved chase. She was still obssessed with house. She left chase because he was becoming like house?!? Really? Dumb reason. House is brilliant. Chase needs a fresh start. Its time to see him with someone as attractive and smart as he is, and odette is perfect.

Comment by Belle – November 7, 2011 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post