TVLine Items: Charisma Carpenter Plays a Lying Game, Criminal Minds Casting Scoop and More!

Fresh off her celebrated visit to Supernatural, Whedonverse alum Charisma Carpenter has landed a recurring role on the upcoming season of ABC Family’s The Lying Game, playing Char’s aunt Rebecca aka “Annie, ” TVGuide.com reports. The nickname might be slightly confusing for viewers given the fact that it’s also the name of the twins’ long-lost birth mother, but rest assured these two are vastly different women.

If you’re wondering if anything will be made of Carpenter’s slight resemblance to series lead Alexandra Chando, a source tells us that Rebecca will factor into the larger mystery of who the twins’ birth mother is.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Crime novelist Patricia Cornwell (she of the sometimes literally mouth-watering Kay Scarpetta series) will guest-star on CBS’ Criminal Minds as herself, TVLine has confirmed. In the hit procedural’s Jan. 18 episode, Cornwell will be seen speaking at the “2012 Great Lakes Violent Crime Seminar” in Chicago, before she introduces Reid (played by Matthew Gray Gubler) as the next speaker.

One Life to Live creator Agnes Nixon will guest-star this January on the sudser before it ends its run on ABC, TV Guide Magazine reports. The soap opera legend is set to play Agnes Dixon, the creator of One Life‘s soap-within-a-soap, Fraternity Row.

• Mary Steenburgen has landed a multi-ep arc on NBC’s 30 Rock, playing Charlotte, “the highly spirited and attractive” mother of Elizabeth Banks’ Avery, per EW.com. 30 Rock returns with new episodes at midseason.

• And just like that, all is right with the world… ABC’s Suburgatory has officially promoted Ana Gasteyer to series regular, EW.com reports. The Saturday Night Live vet had been recurring on the quirky freshman comedy as George and Tessa’s nosy neighbor, Sheila.

• Showtime has renewed the docu-series The Real L Word for a third season, which for the first time will go bi(-coastal), shooting in both Los Angeles and New York.

• Syndicated game show Family Feud has been renewed through 2015, per The Hollywood Reporter. Comedian Steve Harvey currently acts as host.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

Comments (15)

• Not sure why she keeps getting roles, she is annoying as hell.

Comment by Jake – November 3, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think you might be confusing her with that chick in the mirror. Charisma’s awesome.

Comment by Ella – November 3, 2011 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re right Ella, I’m sure JAKE is confused by the girl in the mirror. Considering Jake’s a boys name.

As for Charisma? Meh. She doesn’t really live up to her name…

Comment by Ella – November 4, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Charisma Carpenter and I’ve been enjoying TLG more than I thought I would. Looking forward to seeing her! Though yeah two Annie’s is confusing, and Annie seems like an odd nickname for someone named Rebecca.

Comment by Tee – November 3, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree.

Comment by Carrie – November 3, 2011 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She could totally be Sutton and Emma’s mom(even though we know she isn’t), it would explain where Sutton gets her Bitchy-ness

Comment by Russ – November 3, 2011 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, she was great on Buffy/Angel/Veronica Mars. Saw the SPN ep, eh it was alright. She’s awesome and TLG had a weak pilot, but is super addictive and I was thrilled Adrian Pascar joined.

Comment by lorna – November 5, 2011 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would love a whole lot more of James Marsters on my TV.

Comment by Lisa – November 3, 2011 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK, so I’m confused now…I thought that the Annie who is Char’s aunt was the same Annie that is the twin’s birth mother? Are you saying now that these are 2 different women? I thought it was the same woman?

Comment by Heather – November 3, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m confused, too. We’ve already seen Annie Hobbs more than once and I thought she was the aunt who called Char and the twins’ biological mother. Charisma Carpenter does resemble the actress who plays the twins, though. Maybe we’ll have to see what happens when the show returns to make sense of this.

Comment by Kalie – November 3, 2011 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • im in the same position … maybe annie hobbs really is crazy.. obsessed with charisma and nuts enough to think she is her.. idk im confused!

Comment by what – November 4, 2011 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love charisma i can’t wait to see her

Comment by silvia – November 3, 2011 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does that mean no more Ana Gasteyer’s “in your opinion” judge on The Good Wife?

Comment by jennrae – November 4, 2011 12:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She resembles miss Chando so I’m pretty excited about this news. Idc for that actress that plays their mother and it would be a twist if she was convinced to be the mom or was the surrogate and thought the twins were her babies or that rebeccas eggs were used and somehow the twins end up being Annie 2.0 kids instead of Annie 1.0.

Obviously crazy theory lololol X)

Comment by Danielle – November 4, 2011 12:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks TVLINE for the announcement. You are so good to me. I am genuinely thrilled to be doing a 6 ep arc on TLG and feel at home with ABC Family. I love the cast and crew and look forward to the development of my character. As for the nay sayers, I absolutely live up to my name. Anyone who KNOWS me would agree. Be well Frans and thank you for your continued support!

Charisma, yes, it is me.

Comment by Charisma Carpenter – November 9, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post