Exclusive

TVLine Items: Charisma Carpenter Plays a Lying Game, Criminal Minds Casting Scoop and More!

Fresh off her celebrated visit to Supernatural, Whedonverse alum Charisma Carpenter has landed a recurring role on the upcoming season of ABC Family’s The Lying Game, playing Char’s aunt Rebecca aka “Annie, ” TVGuide.com reports. The nickname might be slightly confusing for viewers given the fact that it’s also the name of the twins’ long-lost birth mother, but rest assured these two are vastly different women.

If you’re wondering if anything will be made of Carpenter’s slight resemblance to series lead Alexandra Chando, a source tells us that Rebecca will factor into the larger mystery of who the twins’ birth mother is.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Crime novelist Patricia Cornwell (she of the sometimes literally mouth-watering Kay Scarpetta series) will guest-star on CBS’ Criminal Minds as herself, TVLine has confirmed. In the hit procedural’s Jan. 18 episode, Cornwell will be seen speaking at the “2012 Great Lakes Violent Crime Seminar” in Chicago, before she introduces Reid (played by Matthew Gray Gubler) as the next speaker.

One Life to Live creator Agnes Nixon will guest-star this January on the sudser before it ends its run on ABC, TV Guide Magazine reports. The soap opera legend is set to play Agnes Dixon, the creator of One Life‘s soap-within-a-soap, Fraternity Row.

• Mary Steenburgen has landed a multi-ep arc on NBC’s 30 Rock, playing Charlotte, “the highly spirited and attractive” mother of Elizabeth Banks’ Avery, per EW.com. 30 Rock returns with new episodes at midseason.

• And just like that, all is right with the world… ABC’s Suburgatory has officially promoted Ana Gasteyer to series regular, EW.com reports. The Saturday Night Live vet had been recurring on the quirky freshman comedy as George and Tessa’s nosy neighbor, Sheila.

• Showtime has renewed the docu-series The Real L Word for a third season, which for the first time will go bi(-coastal), shooting in both Los Angeles and New York.

• Syndicated game show Family Feud has been renewed through 2015, per The Hollywood Reporter. Comedian Steve Harvey currently acts as host.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. Jake says:

Not sure why she keeps getting roles, she is annoying as hell.

• Ella says:

I think you might be confusing her with that chick in the mirror. Charisma’s awesome.

• Ella says:

You’re right Ella, I’m sure JAKE is confused by the girl in the mirror. Considering Jake’s a boys name.

As for Charisma? Meh. She doesn’t really live up to her name…

2. Tee says:

I like Charisma Carpenter and I’ve been enjoying TLG more than I thought I would. Looking forward to seeing her! Though yeah two Annie’s is confusing, and Annie seems like an odd nickname for someone named Rebecca.

3. Lisa says:

Would love a whole lot more of James Marsters on my TV.

4. Heather says:

OK, so I’m confused now…I thought that the Annie who is Char’s aunt was the same Annie that is the twin’s birth mother? Are you saying now that these are 2 different women? I thought it was the same woman?

• Kalie says:

I’m confused, too. We’ve already seen Annie Hobbs more than once and I thought she was the aunt who called Char and the twins’ biological mother. Charisma Carpenter does resemble the actress who plays the twins, though. Maybe we’ll have to see what happens when the show returns to make sense of this.

• what says:

im in the same position … maybe annie hobbs really is crazy.. obsessed with charisma and nuts enough to think she is her.. idk im confused!

5. silvia says:

i love charisma i can’t wait to see her

6. jennrae says:

Does that mean no more Ana Gasteyer’s “in your opinion” judge on The Good Wife?

7. Danielle says:

She resembles miss Chando so I’m pretty excited about this news. Idc for that actress that plays their mother and it would be a twist if she was convinced to be the mom or was the surrogate and thought the twins were her babies or that rebeccas eggs were used and somehow the twins end up being Annie 2.0 kids instead of Annie 1.0.

Obviously crazy theory lololol X)

8. Thanks TVLINE for the announcement. You are so good to me. I am genuinely thrilled to be doing a 6 ep arc on TLG and feel at home with ABC Family. I love the cast and crew and look forward to the development of my character. As for the nay sayers, I absolutely live up to my name. Anyone who KNOWS me would agree. Be well Frans and thank you for your continued support!

Charisma, yes, it is me.