Ratings: X Appeal Gives Fox Demo Win; Modern Family Again Tops Viewers, Revenge Surges

The X Factor‘s do-or-die rounds kicked off strongly on Wednesday night, with the Fox freshman holding steady at 11.5 million total viewers and a 3.9 rating, leading the network to a demo win for the night (while CBS claimed the top spot in total audience). Tonight, someone goes home!

Modern Family meanwhile returned to repeat as Wednesday’s most-watched program, inching up 2 percent to 13.25 million viewers while scoring a 5.6 demo rating. (P.S. How hard did Leslie Mann rock? Answer: Very, yet not enough.) That teed up Happy Endings (7.9 mil/3.5) to match last week’s all-time demo high.

Michael Slezak’s X Factor Recap: Boom Boom Ow!

Revenge (8.6 mil/3.0) followed by rising 11 percent in the demo to score its best 18-49 numbers since its premiere. (ABC points out that the frothy soaper is its most-watched Wednesdays-at-10 program in four years, since a little show called Lost.)

Elsewhere on Wednesday:

8 pm | Survivor (11.9 mil/3.5) bested the opening X Factor hour in viewers, with its largest audience since Dec. 15, 2010, and matched its season high in the demo. ABC’s sitcombo of The Middle (9.4 mil/2.9) and Suburgatory (8.5 mil/3.1) dipped 10 percent. NBC’s Up All Night (4.75 mil/1.8) dropped 14 percent in the demo to a series low.

9 pm | Criminal Minds, with 12.8 million total viewers and a 3.6 rating, was down 3 and 8 percent from its last fresh outing. Harry’s Law (7.1 mil/1.1) dropped 15 percent. Top Model (1.8 mil/0.8) saw last week’s pre-sweeps honeymoon end, plunging 20 percent.

10 pm | CSI topped the hour in total viewers with 10.6 millon, and gained 4 percent in the demo to place behind Revenge with a 2.7 rating. SVU, with 7 million viewers and a 2.0 rating, was down 9 percent.

What were you watching this Wednesday evening?

1. Kyle says:

Revenge is great! Never expected it to become a favorite of mine!

• MJ says:

Revenge is SO good! Last night’s episode was another good one. I hate to have to wait 2 weeks for a new episode.

• Mika says:

Same here Kyle. I saw the previews and thought “bleh”, but thought I’d give it a try and got hooked immediately. Fast moving stories and great cast. I hope more and more start watching.

• Christa says:

I am so addicted to this show now but am also still a little worried… anyone have any idea how to make this into a two season show?

• shaun says:

@Christa The producers said that they would begin stretching out the revenge plots and they would leave the hamptons for NY I believe.

2. Marco Montalvan says:

Revenge is the best new show of the season
    I really want Golden Globe nominations for Emily Van Camp and for the one that plays Victoria the name slips my mind

3. kevin says:

Really don’t watch REVENGE on Wednesdays but I always watch MODERN FAMILY and HAPPY ENDINGS but these two won’t be back in two weeks ’cause ABC airing the CMA Awards next week with Brad Paisley and the always hot Carrie Underwood. :)

4. Haiden says:

Revenge was great last night, Happy Endings great as well :)

5. Sina says:

Revenge!! My new favourite show… Nolan is just pure awesome!!

• Heather says:

I agree! Nolan is my favorite character on this show followed by Jack! I did not expect to Ike this show as I have never been a fan of Emily but the supporting cast actually make me like her too…especially Nolan.

• ChrisGa says:

LOVE Nolan and LOVE Gabriel Mann! And I was so NOT surprised to see Nolan and Tyler go down that road; I had a feeling Nolan was at least bi, if not gay, and recording it for future “posterity” was brilliant. I can’t wait to see how that turns out.

6. JJ says:

Dear NBC, Please cancel Harry’s Law. The ratings suck.

• Magically Suspicious says:

Getting rid of the younger folks and moving the lawfirm upstairs killed the show for me. The charm of the show in season one was the interaction with the rag-tag group of not-your-standard-lawfirm employees and the cases involving the problems with the people of the less than safe neighborhood. All of that is gone now, and the show has lost it’s character for me.

• grannygeek says:

Agree. Standardizing the show to just another The Practice, or LA Law or Abby McBeal killed its appeal for me and viewers way younger than me, too. Watered it down and farked with a formula that worked last year. Why why why don’t these network suits ever learn?

7. TinCan says:

Can NBC recant on their pick up of season two “Up All Night”? It’s going down fast.

8. postman says:

up all night was suppose to be about acouple and there new baby not about a couple and her job that killed it for me less work and more home might save the show.

9. Lila says:

I am so happy Revenge grew in ratings! It is a great show & last night was a good episode.

Wow, I feel sorry for NBC! Up All Night dropped a lot. I really hope Grimm doesn’t drop too much in the ratings tomorrow. It’s the only show I’m watching on NBC right now.

10. fernando says:

YES YES YES! I love Revenge and I am so happy for its success, great show with great twist with WTF moments and OMG moments like last night Nolan turning out to be gay and sleeping with Tyler that was both a OMG and WTF moment, I love Emily Van Kamp and her great acting.

11. alyssa897 says:

I think that one of the reasons Revenge did so good was because of the amazing promo that was playing all week. You know, the one with the amazing Adele song. I thought it was an awesome promo!

12. Paul says:

I wish NBC would move Harry’s Law, I really like the show. They should drop the new Monday 10 pmk news show – waste of time!