ABC Gives Full-Season Orders to Once Upon a Time, Happy Endings and Last Man Standing

ABC on Thursday granted full-season orders to two more of its freshman series — Once Upon a Time and Last Man Standing — as well as the sophomore comedy Happy Endings.

The Alphabet network also ordered five more scripts for the first-year drama Pan Am, which after a few turbulent weeks of ratings dips seems to have stabilized in its most recent flights.

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Once Upon a Time‘s Paternity Mystery and More!

Once Upon a Time — which premiered very strongly (giving ABC its best Sunday-at-8 numbers in more than three years) and held steady in its second outing — and Last Man Standing represent the third and fourth ABC freshman series to be offered full rides, following Revenge and Suburgatory.

Happy Endings First Look: ‘Red Band’ Trailer Recaps Season 2′s Naughtiest Moments

Happy Endings, meanwhile, in its past two airings has set and matched all-time highs in the coveted 18-49 demo.

Which newly blessed show are you most excited for — Once, Happy Endings or the third one?

Comments (83)

• Yes Happy Endings! Now where’s Revenge?

Comment by Matt – November 3, 2011 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Revenge already got a full season order. I’m so happy about OUAT & H.E.

Comment by tvaddict – November 3, 2011 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • YES! Happy Endings is the best! I am so relieved. I just wish Max would be his old self again.

Comment by Taylor Geary – November 4, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Revenge already has a full season pickup.

I guess Pan Am is doomed now. Shame, it’s a nice show.

Comment by Daisy – November 3, 2011 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They have ordered 5 more scripts so I wouldnt say its doomed just yet.

Comment by Olivia – November 3, 2011 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • NBC ordered more scripts for CHASE last year and you see how well that worked out.

Comment by Dav – November 4, 2011 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by What?!?! – November 3, 2011 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My fault, sorry!

Comment by Matt – November 3, 2011 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great, no surprises there, but I’m happy.

I’m hoping for a full season pickup of Pan Am. Then I’ll feel things are complete.

Comment by Ben – November 3, 2011 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The update added 5 more scripts for Pan Am. Thats not a bad deal.

Comment by Ben – November 3, 2011 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Matt, what freshman shows does this leave hanging? And does this take Pan Am to 18 episodes? Do you think that will end up being the full season? Thanks.

Comment by Ben – November 3, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I asked him that recently too: Of shows that have premiered already- Prime Suspect, A Gifted Man, Man Up, Pan Am. (Terra Nova has always been 13 and only 13 episodes, and it’s season finale has already been scheduled.)

Comment by Epicurious Erin – November 4, 2011 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thrilled about everything but Last Man Standing. It represents everything I hate about sitcoms.

Comment by Anna – November 3, 2011 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I actually think Last Man Standing would be pretty good if it starred someone besides Tim Allen. He has never been funny, and his “manly man” schtick is so limp. It wasn’t funny when he started doing it decades ago, and it has faded since. But if we had an actual actor playing the story, instead of a hack comic doing schtick, the show would be funnier.

Comment by CJ – November 3, 2011 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt, Revenge was already picked up, too! :)

Comment by Jamie – November 3, 2011 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And PAN AM? Only 5 additional episodes? :( I love that show!

Comment by sheldon – November 3, 2011 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pan Am got scripts, not even episodes. I like it but ratings haven’t been so hot.

Comment by chris – November 3, 2011 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Which is too bad, because it’s a great show. Pan Am deserves a full season to prove itself.

Comment by Tarc – November 4, 2011 01:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m waiting for a full Pan Am season :(

but YAY! for Once Upon A Time

Comment by Luis – November 3, 2011 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s awesome for OUAT – its cheesy, but really enjoyable

Comment by pv – November 3, 2011 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, ABC has done right by the viewers this season. Especially with the complete revitalization of Wednesdays.

Still have hopes for Pan Am.

Comment by Sourabh – November 3, 2011 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So freaking excited about Once Upon a Time!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Comment by Julie – November 3, 2011 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed… Once Upon A Time is the best new show of the year. Pan Am is really good as well.

Comment by Tarc – November 4, 2011 01:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pan Am is not doom, its last two ratngs has been 5 million so if ABC has order 5 more ep. thats a good sign, its a sign that ABC likes the show and is giving it a chance by now Pan Am should be cancel but it’s not instead it has been giving 5 more ep. we should be happy.

Comment by fernando – November 3, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They didn’t order 5 new episodes they ordered 5 scripts which is a bad sign.

Comment by bhm1304 – November 3, 2011 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How is that bad news they did the same thing with happy ending. 5 scripts means 5 ep.

Comment by Fernando – November 3, 2011 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • There were basically 9 possibilities (ranked in order of best to worst news):
          1. Renewed for future seasons
          2. picked up for full season
          3. additional episodes (short of full season) ordered
          4. additional scripts ordered
          5. no action taken
          6. officially dropped at end of current order
          7. production halted but finished episodes will air
          8. production halted and show yanked immediately
          9. production halted, show yanked, cast and crew beat up.

So of those choices, Pan Am got good news. But since those other shows were picked up for a full season, the lesser order for Pan Am could be taken as bad news.

Comment by CJ – November 3, 2011 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Great list CJ! That really puts things in perspective!

Comment by Epicurious Erin – November 4, 2011 06:47 AM PDT
        • Additional scripts does not automatically mean additional episodes. It’s not a BAD sign…but it’s not a guarantee either. And the 5 million rating is total viewers. Advertisers only care about the 18-49 viewers and therefor TV executives only care about 18-49 viewers. So far, that number has been pretty low for Pan Am.

Comment by Jim – November 4, 2011 04:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Does ANYONE ELSE think the 18-49 demo is way too broad. Why isn’t it subdivided?

Comment by Epicurious Erin – November 4, 2011 06:48 AM PDT
  • Really good news for ONCE UPON A TIME and its full season pick up but I hope ABC better cancel MAN UP in the coming days and I’m going feel so emotional if PAN AM gets the ax the same situation the network did with CHARLIE’S ANGELS and let’s hope ABC better turn things around come next Fall the same thing it would happen with NBC.

Comment by kevin – November 3, 2011 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess “Body of Proof” is dead then.

Comment by Jamie – November 3, 2011 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is in its second season, no? At the end of spring, it was picked up for a full second season as I understand it.

Comment by Gretchen – November 3, 2011 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • According to Entertainment Weekly, ABC has five episodes left of season one that were unaired.

Together with the order of 13 episodes for season 2, the show already has 18 episodes this season, so no rush for ABC to order more at the moment.

Comment by Lambsilencer – November 3, 2011 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh, good. More Geoffrey Arend for me :)

Comment by Gretchen – November 3, 2011 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was picked up for a 2nd season of 13 episodes BUT it has 5 leftover episodes from the 1st season, so it already has an 18-episode second season.

Comment by phantom – November 3, 2011 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • amzing news for Once upon a time !!

Comment by Tom – November 3, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Summer – November 3, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAy! Happy Endings FTW! Hate OUAT..! It looks so stupid…

Comment by Ka'lel – November 3, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think you mean “I’m not interested in watching OUAT. It looks so stupid.” That would be valid. Saying you hate it without ever watching it… not so much.

Comment by may – November 3, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I second May’s comment

Comment by Julie – November 3, 2011 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I watched. It was terrible. Completely abismal.

Comment by bob – November 3, 2011 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, Jen Morrison is not a good actress and has a show, while Lisa Edelstein just got an arc. Lisa is a better actress, she deserves her own show not JM!

Comment by Mel – November 4, 2011 02:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • bitter?
        Jennifer has her own show because she deserves it!

Comment by Todd – November 4, 2011 04:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really…this again. Look, neither of these ladies is on House anymore so all you shippers just shut up and go away.

Comment by Fran – November 4, 2011 04:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • mel, you are so pathetic, get a life, really.

Comment by valeria – November 4, 2011 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jennifer M. is a great actress and O.U.A.T is simply amazing, amen.

Comment by Greta W. – November 4, 2011 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jennifer Morrison has been gone from House for a lot longer. Lisa Edelstein left the show too late to be involved in this development season. If she wants “her own show,” next season is more likely.

Comment by CJ – November 4, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Honey let it go. These types of comments are no longer irritating, they’re just sad now. You got your precious Huddy so cling to that. Lisa has moved on and so should you. Love and support her and get over your irrational hatred of the lovely, classy and talented Jennifer Morrison. This type of behavior isn’t healthy and reflects badly upon Lisa and her fans. Just sayin’.

I’m thrilled that OUAT has been picked up for a full season. I had hopes that the show would do well but it went far beyond my expectations. I’m so happy to see Jennifer Morrison in a lead role and playing a total bamf to boot.

Comment by Teresa – November 6, 2011 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy about OUAT and Happy Endings! I’m kind of surprised they ordered a full season pickup for Last Man Standing, as it started great but it’s been losing steam… they’re probably giving it a chance because of Tim Allen.
    As for Pan Am, I;m not surprised they haven’t said anything. The ratings have to improve ad fast because this show is headed straight to cancellation.

Comment by Gerald – November 3, 2011 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe if you watched it instead of going by what it looks like, you’d realize it’s great.

Comment by Robin – November 3, 2011 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAYY!!! Soo excited for Once Upon A Time!

Comment by tinypplrock – November 3, 2011 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When I posted my doomed comment, the 5 script order of Pan Am was not in the original news item. The next two weeks are most likely critical for the shows future.

Comment by Daisy – November 3, 2011 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Last Man Standing” is better than it has any right to be.

Comment by Adam L. – November 3, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY for Once Upon a Time!

Comment by Michelle – November 3, 2011 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess I’m the only person that likes “Man Up”.

Comment by Davey – November 3, 2011 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy that ABC picked up Once Upon A Time, but I wonder why ABC is dragging their feet on announcing either pick up or cancellation of Pan Am. I really hope it is picked up. The suspense is just killing me! Please, ABC, do NOT cancel Pan Am. WE need quality programs on networks…and this is one show I make the time to watch each Sunday.

Comment by Pan Am Fan – November 3, 2011 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Last Man Standing.

Comment by Lisa – November 3, 2011 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very happy to hear Once Upon a Time got a full season order. It’s now a new favorite of mine. So great to hear the ratings held. I missed it on Sunday due to a powe outage on the east coast after a storm and was worried ratings wouldn’t be as high. Imagine what the ratings would have been if us east coast power outages had power! Can’t wait for more, it’s my new Lost!

Comment by Cat3 – November 3, 2011 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings pick up. Ah-mazing.

Comment by Sg. Grant – November 3, 2011 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, I know. LMS is very much Home Improvement in an alternate reality in where Tim Allen has three girls instead of boys. However, I love it!

OUAT is wonderful and I’m glad that it’s sticking around. (I’m hoping that I’m right and that the Sheriff turns out to be the huntsman from Snow White!)

As for Happy Endings… well, I find it enjoyable enough but I don’t DVR it.

Comment by Sarah – November 3, 2011 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for OUaT!!

Comment by Dessy – November 3, 2011 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch and like all 3 of these, so yaaaay!

Comment by Kristina – November 3, 2011 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome news for OUAT! Very happy about this pickup!

Comment by Moe – November 3, 2011 10:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congrats to OUAT on a well-deserved pickup.

Comment by Justin – November 3, 2011 11:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So I guess Man Up! is the only thing without a pickup or extension?

I don’t hate it, it seems like it could gain some traction. But I won’t exactly mourn it if it goes away, either.

Comment by Doug – November 3, 2011 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last Man Standing (9.30 million viewers) compared to Fox’s Glee (7.43 million viewers) and New Girl (7.53 million viewers). You can trash LMS, u prerogative and opinion as it is our right as Americans, but as u can see 9.30 million disagree with ur assesment, and when the Powehouse that Glee is supposed to be is finishing behind LMS, that is a statement itself

Comment by BRJericho7 – November 4, 2011 01:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry to burst your bubble Doug but the total viewer number (while interesting) means nothing in the world of show success. Advertisers (and therefor TV executives) only care about the 18-49 demographic. That’s what they look at primarily when determining if a show is successful or not.

New Girl’s last episode rated 3.6 (18-49)
      Glee’s last episode rated 3.0 (18-49)
      Last Man Standing rated 2.7 (18-49)

To be clear those are all good scores and I think any network would consider all of them a success. However, to claim that LMS is doing better than Glee is incorrect.

Comment by Jim – November 4, 2011 04:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You are incorrect, Last Man Standing as a show is doing better than Glee. But it is not doing better as far as advertisers are concerned.

Comment by Mike – November 4, 2011 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I guess it all depends on your definition of “doing better.” Yes, LMS had more total viewers and logically you could argue it is doing better. However, you could legitimately claim that Glee is doing better because it has the higher number in the demo that the people who are in charge of producing and airing the show care about. Regardless of who’s “doing better” both shows have good total numbers and good demo numbers. Both are doing well and making the network happy so I don’t think you have any cause to disparage one because of ratings.

Comment by Jim – November 4, 2011 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so thrilled, every show I have picked up for my DVR for this Fall Season has gotten a full season. Dont get me started on how awful How to Be a Gentleman is, that is 30 minute of my life I will NEVER get back lol

Comment by BRJericho7 – November 4, 2011 01:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news for OUAT!!! I’m so happy about it!!!

Comment by Sally – November 4, 2011 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sooo happy for Once upon a time! [best show ever!!!!!!!!!!]

Comment by CCCCR – November 4, 2011 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great for once, like it.

Comment by Brandy – November 4, 2011 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEAH for Happy Endings!

Comment by Karen – November 4, 2011 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I am thrilled about Once and Happy Endings, I am concerned about CougarTown since Happy Endings is in their old slot. I hope this doesn’t mean they won’t bring back Cougar Town!!!

Comment by Megan – November 4, 2011 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK–

A Lot of people are watching Pan Am on their ABC Player/iPad. Is that counting towards the ratings? I sure hope so. Sunday night is jam packed with must see TV, on both Network and Cable. Some shows I watch live, some have to be watched later on my iPad. A Sunday night spot is the most competitive, and I hope Pan Am can make it.

Comment by Lemon – November 4, 2011 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unfortunately no, watching shows online or on your iPad don’t count. It’s all about Advertisements. TV executives are not trying to sell tv shows to you, they are trying to sell viewers eyeballs to the advertisers. The only thing right now advertisers really care about is people who watch live because they are more likely to actually see the commercials. While they may track how many people watch online, the fact is that online viewing doesn’t have the same number of adds and does not bring in enough revenue so TV executives don’t really care about those numbers.

Comment by Daphney – November 5, 2011 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping that Last Man Standing would be cancelled so that Nancy Travis could go back to Hart of Dixie. Her talent is so wasted on LMS.

Comment by Andy – November 5, 2011 04:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • !Go Once Upon a time Go!

Comment by kathleen – November 5, 2011 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any idea whether once upon a time will be a stand alone mini series with a complete story or if they’ll drag it out til we hate the very thought of it like lost or fringe?

Comment by Tuk – November 15, 2011 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey is pan am done after the last episodes or not? Yay for once upon a time though! But i do really like pan am….

Comment by Leslie – November 25, 2011 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once upon a time is the best… It will be devastating if it is cancelled…. Seriously…we’re all invested at this point mad my Sunday night parties rely on it… :) make more! Make more!

Comment by BOnnie – December 13, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post