Glee Spoiler Alert: 8 Things You Must Know About Next Week's Sex-cellent Episode, 'The First Time'

Glee rebounds mightily from Tuesday’s subpar “Pot O’ Gold’ episode with next week’s stellar sexual rite of passage-themed “First Time,” which finds two of the show’s supercouples — Rachel and Finn, and Kurt and Blaine — going all the way. But the standout episode isn’t all about getting it on. It’s also about…

1. Talking about getting it on. During a West Side Story rehearsal, director Artie tells Rachel and Blaine that they lack passion as Maria and Tony, then guesses that maybe they’ve never, you know, done it. “How do you expect to convey the human experience to an audience when you haven’t even opened yourself up to one of humanity’s most basic and primal needs?” he asks. Fun fact: We also learn Rachel and Kurt aren’t the only McKinley-ites in the Virgin Club: Coach Bieste and Blaine are also waiting for the right guy. Speaking of which…

2. Bieste and her new football recruiter boyfriend (played by Eric Bruskotter). They’re super-sweet together. So super-sweet, in fact, that it’s going to really suck when she finds out about this.

3. The arrival of Sebastian. No sooner does Grant Gustin’s gay Warbler debut than he sets his sights on Blaine. And what he wants, I suspect he’ll get: He’s got charisma to spare and tons of chemistry with Darren Criss. Fun fact: He’s not the only obstacle to Klaine sex — the other is Kurt’s wardrobe. Specifically, “All of his layers.”

Glee Scoop: A New Directions Exit, Post-Grad Plans and More!

4. The opening night of West Side Story. I did mention that that was coming up, right? Right. So it won’t be a huge surprise that much of the hour’s play list comes from the musical. My fave: Lea Michele and Naya Rivera rendition of “A Boy Like That,” which is cleverly intercut with Sebastian doing some hardcore flirting with Blaine.

5. Karofsky’s return. When Sebastian invites Kurt and Blaine out to local gay haunt Scandal, Kurt runs into his old nemesis at the bar. Apparently, transferring to a new school has done wonders for the bully’s disposition. He’s mellowed out considerably and coming to grips with his sexuality. It’s my favorite scene of the episode and should fire up those Kurt-Karofsky ‘shippers out there (and I know you’re out there).

6. Santana’s putdown. The snarkiest Cheerio gets the episode’s best line when she urges Rachel not to do the deed with Finn because, well, he’s a lousy lay. “Finn is terrible in bed. It was like being smothered by a sweaty, out of breath sack of potatoes that somebody soaked in body spray.” Fun fact: Brittany called Artie by the wrong name four times when he lost her virginity to her.

7. Kurt’s bucket list. No. 87 on it? “To become CEO of Logo.”

8. Finchel and Klaine sex. Ultimately, both couples do the deed, and it’s romantic, tasteful and all very satisfying. (For the kissing-conscious Klaine ’shippers, there’s one significant smooch, but it does not take place during The Act. For more on that, scan my Twitter feed.) Finchelcourse, meanwhile, comes on the heels Finn receiving some bad news, but I would hardly call it pity sex. Again, you will be pleased. Maybe not as pleased as Finn. But pleased.

Got Qs about “The First Time” that weren’t answered above? Email ‘em to me at askausiello@tvline.com or tweet me at @MichaelAusiello.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Glee, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Marcela says:

This episode should be a good one, considering Finn and Rachel have been together (on/off) for two years. It’s great that they’re finally taking this step together! As for Kurt/Blaine, I will probably never root for this pairing, but I’m happy that the writers are showing that physical intimacy is positive between two people of the same gender. I can only hope that Kurt feels just as special, loved and ready as I know Rachel will. Finn is so in love with her and she with him, that I can only hope that Kurt/Blaine show that, too. (So far, we’ve yet to see it, really…)

2. Kirsty says:

As I’ve followed Glee since it first aired, I’ve really enjoyed the storylines and trust the writers to do this obviously sensitive subject with care and truth. I will admit to being a Klaine shipper and a fan of Darren Criss since his early starkid work, but as we know art imitates life and there is not many people who are still with their first loves sadly.

3. kbreezyy says:

i love Finchel, they’re a goood couple in my opinion .
    c:

4. Maria says:

I’m just really happy with finchel and klaine. I just don’t get it the hate!

5. Karina says:

Although it doesn’t happen often in reality the pairing of Finn and racheal is so cute! I love their chemistry and having them break up in season 2 was worth it because we got to see them get back together which was like the best! Blain and Kurt are also so adorable and Im hoping they stay together. Basicly the show rocks pairing is good enough to satisfy my entertainment and I hope it keeps putting that smile on my face :)

6. @BunnyGleek says:

I think it is amazing that Finchel and Klaine are taking to the next level. Good for them (tho klaine will be more romatic cause BOTH ARE LOSTING their viginity *cough* Finn) And I don’t know if I can put up with this whole Santana thing. I like her at first but now I’m sick of it. I swear this is gonna best one of the greatest ep ever. Not even Ryan can mess this up #TeamIrishRory

7. Doctorscompanion says:

Am I the only one that mad about all this? I mean, Kurt and blaine can’t hold hands or hug in the hallway, but they can have sex on tv. Can nothing just stay cute and innocent anymore? Does everything have to be about sex? This makes me lose so much respect for both couples. And I really loved klaine :(

• K says:

The reason they don’t hold hands or hug in the hallways is because they fear repercussions from homophobic classmates…you know, the same people who voted Kurt prom queen.

8. orni says:

Kurt & Karofsky !!! oh god! disgusting pair ever. I don’t want any Sebastian between Klain.I think Blain will understand his fault at the end of the season. I can’t wait to see this episode. Klain Forever! they r perfect for each other. No one can beat them. I love Kurt so much. somebody says he is annoying or selfish and bla bla. He deserves true love. If blain gives a heartbreak i will kill the writers. though i don’t know how!

9. Doug says:

I beg to differ on the quality of Pot of Gold. It was the only episode this year that was gleeful. The musical performances this season are better than ever but the show hasn’t been a fun comedy this year until Pot of Gold. It has been a vehicle to sell I tunes songs but little else. Pot of Gold has been that breath of fresh air that shows the current writers have a clue.

10. mkc says:

Wait? Drunk Darren? Again? Yes please. Hahah. But forreall. I think the main reason that the ratings SUCK is because there are too many writers trying to make good stories for way too many characters. Think about it. Darren and Chris. Lea, Cory, Harry, Naya, Jenna, Heather, Kevin, Amber, Dianna, Mark, Jane, Matt, Jayma, Dot, Chord is coming back need I continue? There is way too much focus as a group setting. I completely forgot that there even was a finchel this season until Last Friday Night when they were dancing together. And all this sex stuff is stupid. There are people in high school who do believe in waiting until AT LEAST college before turning in their v card, first love or not. What happened to Harry again? Was that just that episode where he was the main focus. And as a huge Darren Criss fan I do think that Ryan Murphy is trying to get way too much out of “Klaine” and Darren and Chris. Darren has had the most screen time our of all of the characters put together. I thoroughly enjoy all his performances but come on, Murphy. Stop milking it and move on. I do not like anything that this man is doing with this show. But I did enjoy Damian. :)

11. Meeeee says:

THANK YOU. no one else seems to feel this way. Theyre all excited for it. But really I’m upset that nothing can be kept innocent anymore :(

12. Eric says:

I cannot wait for Karofsky’s return!! I’ve been hoping this season he’d get comfortable with himself and it sorta sucks he had to transfer for that to happen. But it also makes sense. I honestly don’t know how I feel about Kurt and Karofsky anymore. At first I loved the idea of them together. Then I was swooned by Blaine late in season 2. I think the idea of Sebastian coming in and TRY to ruin things between Blaine and Kurt is a good idea for the show. But I also agree that I don’t think anything could come between Klaine. I’ll have to watch the episode to get a feel for Sebastian and see if Sebastian and Karofsky would make a good choice. But I think after what Karofsky went through internally last season, he wouldn’t want to hurt Kurt anymore.

13. ct says:

Am I the only one asking how high school seniors get into a bar??? This show is going so weird. They call a teacher by her first name (sue) 98% of the school seems gay. There must be more gays in this highschool yet it is intolerant?? Now they have seniors going unto bars….

• dee says:

“I mean this isn’t one of those progressive schools where the teachers are called by their first names and the students are partners in learning. And there’s a fund raising auction at the end of the year where the more creative parents put on musical skits about the community garden. This is public school. If I can keep the girls off the pole and the boys off the pipe I get a bonus.”

• SH says:

I thought all the student’s called her “Coach Sylvester.” I would be really weird if her colleagues called her “Ms. Sylvester.” And at times, teachers are called by their first names if kids know it.

Aaaand, there’s one gay 3 gay boys and two gay girls (kind of): Kurt, Blaine, Kurofsky; and Santana and Brittany. That’s hardly 98%, isn’t it.

I think it’s funny that the hockey team has mullets.

14. Nicole says:

Finn and Rachel deserve this moment. Their story has been a huge part of Glee since the pilot, and it’s clear they love each other and are ready to take this big step. Their relationship has had its problems like most relationships do, and the writing went south for their characters in season 2, but it’s clear they’re back on track. I’ve loved both characters individually and together from the moment I first saw them on my TV screen, and Lea Michele and Cory Monteith have done an amazing job portraying these characters over the last 2+ years. People may hate on them, but those of us who love them do so from the bottoms of our hearts.

15. Ann says:

I really love Finchel. Finn and Rachel together and individually have been the best characters on the show. I love how he has waited for her and I love how she believes in him. They are the best couple on tv right now.

16. Mari says:

I’m looking forward to Finn and Rachel. Their relationship has progressed so wonderfully. Thank You Glee :)

17. Klainelover says:

Blaine will pitch (I hope)

And Kurt will catch.:)

18. Tom Galloway says:

The reason we should boycott this episode is because they shouldn’t be putting sex on this show! What good is it to portray teens doing this? It’s not okay. And i’m not some disgruntled parent, i’m 17 years old. I don’t want this on there! this is my ALL-TIME FAVORITE show! But this is NOT okay. It’s very disappointing…

19. Danielle H says:

I stopped watching this show a long time ago, but I wanted to check out this article to see what it entailed. I honestly can say I find it sad that the show wants to get rid of all the virgins. It’s good for kids to see that it’s OK not to go have sex with someone you date in highschool that you’ll likely never see again
    I know what some will say, that most kids have sex way younger then the portrayed ages of these characters, but that doesn’t make it right. I think this is almost a twisted form of peer pressure, and it would be VERY sad if some kids decided to lose their virginity because of their favorite characters on a show losing theirs.
    I am not a prude in any way, I just appreciate those who decide not to have sex while they are young. I really hope this is done in a way as to not encourage anyone to lose their V-card.

20. Nova Keegan says:

Isn’t it supposed to say HIS virginity to her? Am I the only one who noticed this? (I’m NOT spending all day reading through comments to see if anybody else did.) Can’t wait for Tuesday!!!!

21. open minded gleek says:

i think all those people who are writing about kurt as someone who has had his self esteem broken or say that hes been treated badly are both right and wrong in my opinion. Yes he has had to deal with a bunch of tragedy, angst and bullying but the whole point of his character is to continue to be strong as an example to the underdogs. That is the reason for so many fans being crazy about him, is his resilience, passion courage and determination in dealing with so much crap. The fact that he has so much of the focus is more an indicator of his popularity with viewers then that there is some evil plan to break his spirit or something. The reality is, as has been mentioned before, none of the characters are perfect, they are highschool students! All with insecurities, mixed emotions, hormones and a personality of their own. So really all the writers are showing, in a bad/good/mediocre way is the fact that teen life and the experience of high school and growing up are not straight forward or easy/smooth sailing.
    By the way just to remind everyone Kurt is not the only one who has experienced bullying as a character, think back to season one and two of all the slushies etc that were sent at the other members of ND’s. The bullying that have even recieved from each other at various times like Rachaels numerous unplesant nicknames from S1 and S2.
    As for Blaine, he may have only been originally been brought in as a temporary character to show some care to Kurt as a means of making the whole Kurovsky situation resolvable but tge fact is he is here to stay for a while. So many people love Darren/Blaine and/or Klaine, but the fact is Blaine is just as imperfect as all the other characters so of course he will make mistakes. Thats basically what we do as humans especially as teens.So as much as people idolize and worship Blaine/Klaine its really us who are setting him/them up to have a long way to fall by putting them up on such a high pedistool. We (I)really need to remind ourselves(myself) that as much as it is awesome at times and has done so much for people in various ways, including the people who play these characters, that it is still at the end of the day a tv show and they are playing characters. It will never be ideal or happy happy all the time because its not what real life is like. If people want that they should either go watch cartoons, write their own sunshine and rainbows happy ever after story of find something that makes them feel better in the Glee fandoms on fanfictions sites or something

22. Seb says:

Ah, so this is where the Puckleberry Fuinn fans decided to stage their little protest! Ha. I’m looking forward to the Finchel scenes. It’s about time their relationship is viewed with some substance.

23. Christy says:

Haha I was thinking the same thing, but I think we all know…..

24. plotterftw says:

I just want Rachel to be happy. It doesn’t matter to me who she’s with, and to me it kind of seems like Finn’s only nice to her when they’re not together. This season he’s been so much better about it, so as long as she’s happy, I’m glad for everything she does. I just hope Finn can really get his act together this season and stick up for her the way she sticks up for him. Finn’s good for her though, she has lots of ambition and so far he hasn’t been holding her back.

AND KURT. YOU’RE HAPPY AND THAT’S ALL THAT MATTERS BECAUSE YOU FOUND SOMEONE YOU CAN LOVE. I’m less interested in Kurtofsky. There’s just way too much unpleasant history between the two and they have to be very mature in order to put it past them. They’re high school students; entering a relationship with each other would seem like Kurt’s settling. Plus, Burt would never approve. Karofsky’s a fascinating character, and his storyline is really important, but for him to date someone he has bullied would NOT be good for his self esteem.

It makes me sad to see all the Blaine hate…he makes Kurt happy. He’d do virtually anything to make Kurt happy when he’s not drunk. He’s a stupid teenage boy who doesn’t know how to deal with things but tries very hard. He transferred out of a fancy private school where he’s treated like a rock star and probably guaranteed Ivy League admission because Kurt begged (or as close to begging Kurt ever gets) him to. He had a traumatic experience at his school dance that resulted in physical injury, yet he went to Prom with his boyfriend despite knowing how homophobic the McKinley population is. He tries to make everyone excited about glee club, only to be shot down by Finn every single time. He didn’t even audition for the role of Tony because he knew how much Kurt wanted it, and read for the role when the casting directors asked him to.

Obviously he’s done stupid things, but everything Blaine did, he did it because his heart’s in the right place. Yes, he’s been insensitive about Rachel and Kurt, but consider it from his perspective: it’s been implied that Blaine’s father doesn’t accept his sexuality, he has never even kissed a boy, and kissing a girl felt great so maybe he’s bi. If he was, he can date a girl and life would be so much easier for him. Didn’t Kurt try to impress his father with Brittany even though he knew he was completely gay? The entire bisexuality storyline was not handled with grace and some things were rather offensive, but the actions of Kurt, Blaine, and Rachel are ultimately understandable even though they’re not laudable. Every single character on Glee has been an a** at some point, but we love them anyways because despite of all the stereotypes and hyperboles, they have redeeming qualities that make them relatable.

25. Dani says:

I believe that the cast and crew, and especially the writers, would have an uprising if they spilt up Klaine! People would revolt! I would!

26. Toto says:

If a boy has anal sex with a girl is he still a virgin? YES. Two boy sex still = virgins.

27. Eden says:

This is the worst idea for an episode ever. Is it really necessary to focus an entire episode on two couples having sex? really? This whole thing is unnecessary. Fans can fill this in on their own if they care to. That’s what fanfiction is for. It’s so painfully obvious that all this is is fanservice that the writers are using as a cheap ploy to keep people watching because “sex sells”. Meanwhile, they’ve got about 1340765359762 other more interesting plot lines and loose ends that need to be addressed….

28. Nicole says:

I can’t wait! Kurt and Blaine! But I don’t want Sebastian or karosky to get between them! I would die! I am soooooo excited!

29. Joshua says:

I have to admit I would have much rather seen how Sam’s original storyline played out with Kurt dating the new football stud than all of the writer’s machinations to put Blaine(and by default in Ssn2 the Warblers)front and center in Kurt’s world. Unfortunately this is the hand dealt to the fans by an overly capricious writing staff so now I make due with the story line as it is. I have to say when Klaine shared their first kiss last season it took my breath away and made me happy so now heading into their first time having sex together I can’t wait and I simply hope that the writers treat their decision with the amount of respect that it deserves.

• Kay says:

It was a beautiful episode and was in my opinion the best one of the season so far. I’m glad that Kurt and Blaine consumated that relationship in a meaningful and loving way. Even though Blaine got drunk and tried to get Kurt to have sex in the car in a parking lot of a gay bar, Kurt had the good sense to put a halt to that because that was not how he wanted his first sexual experience to be remembered (and Blaine would not have remembered any of it). Instead, they waited until the right time and it was handled very delicately and beautifully. I wish they would have allowed them to share a kiss afterwards but they did not but it was still a beautiful scene. Even now going into the fourth season they still do not allow them to kiss publicly or privately (this episode is the last they ever show them kiss) and with episode 4 “The Break Up” who knows if we will ever see them together again (not sure if they break up but it has been hinted that they do). Ryan Murphy has said that they will kiss again, so hopefully if they do “take a break” during the season, that they will reunite in an epic and romantic way and we will get that kiss. I think it is terrible that they allow Brittany and Santana to kiss every chance they get, but Kurt and Blaine are now allowed to show that side of their relationship.

30. Zaynah says:

Finnalllyyy klaine sex! Can’t wait

31. JKR says:

LOL!! Santana is so funny…!! Rachel you should have listen.. Finn might have end pleased but Rachel? Did he lasted more than 3 seconds? mailman mailman! lol… also klaine :D I dislike finchel so much… idk why teens see them as a cute couple.. they have cheat, been mean.. ughh i wont continue… but klaine : perfection. Best glee couple.

32. Rocky says:

Omg so excited for Blaine and Rachel duets!!
    But I really want a Kurt or puck solo soon!

33. Katie says:

Why is everything about sex nowadays? Really what was so bad about Rachel wanting to wait?

34. Satinna says:

I feel torn I’ve lost my finchelness lately and now I feel like I should be mad at them having sex but on the other hand this is what I’ve wanted all along my years of waiting errr it’s infuriating!!!!!!!!!

35. jackie says:

I agree Colfer fan. Chris is so talented yet they are hiding his glorious voice by not
    giving him any solo’s. Yet Darren sings in every episode. Npw instead of coming
    up with good stories for the, they add Grant Gustin to come between them. So what
    happens the stupid Gleeks are fawning over Sebastian saying he’s so hot. They have
    no loyalty to Chris, and his talent. The boy is beautiful with emotion, and passion
    in his eyes that Grant Gustin will never have. The writers are awful, and that’s the
    reason the shows ratings are down. Bring back the old Kurt who had magic..

36. Sarah Jane says:

Are there really audience polls on who likes finchel? And what percent of the people that don’t are internet crazies? I swear some people have too much time on their hands

37. J says:

Why is this website so far up Glee’s ass? It is one of the worst shows on television right now, yet they get like 2 posts a day…? Are you alright?

• cc says:

Why? Look at the list of most commented on stories and you will see that 4 out of the 5 are Glee stories. They write about what brings people to their website.

38. Jackson says:

this episode is going to be epic

39. Petra says:

Ugh, I can’t stand Finchel. Puckleberry all the way :) I keep hoping it will happen at some point. Finchel just has no chemistry. That’s all I want in a couple, is that really too much to ask?

40. Sarah says:

I totally agree. I mean, they said it would be romantic but if Blaine is pressuring Kurt into having sex then thats not romantic at all. I feel that in order for it to be “fair” that both of them have to be ready. And if I remember correctly, In season 2 Kurt wasnt even ready to learn about sex. The writers should really pay more attentuon to the story line from the other episodes.

41. Malina says:

this whole “sebastian” thing is pissing me off. why do the writers continue to put crap in kurt’s life? When does blaine get an obstacle to overcome? Kurt definitely does NOT deserve blaine to breakup with him.

42. Yvonne says:

Wait–Artie basically gives Rachel and Blaine the “homework” of having sex, because he doesn’t think they can act out the romance otherwise? I don’t have a problem with high school students having sex. I’m kinda glad these two couples are taking that next step. And yet–I somehow have a big problem with this as the reason. Also… isn’t it called “acting?”

43. dyane says:

Wow. First I will say I love kurt. Now my opinion. First lets start with his character. His downward spiral came from the way of bullying. Karofsky and some of nd. Some of the scenes that were hard to watch were of karofskys treatment of kurt. Rewatch. Kurt turned into a defeated shell,as do most bullied kids. As for blaine. I dont see it being all blaine. Like real life you can like someone who is a friend and they have no clue. Blaine didn’t want to ruin the friendship. As for the rachel thing. That was a blaine issue. I don’t think blaine intended to hurt kurt by questioning his sexuality. I think darren is doing his best. Remember he was hired to play a older mentor. No story involved, just a prop for the kurt story line. He nailed it. I believed it. Then he was hired on to be the boyfriend. No BA story, doesn’t have a clue who blaine is. He. Did a good job. The kiss was believable. Now glee says forget all that. Go through a time machine and now you’re younger than kurt. Still a prop. Still no story or charter development. As for him being horrible to kurt. I don’t see it. I think blaine is willy whipped. When they lost regional. Blaine reminded kurt that they had each other because lurt only cared about nationals.

44. dyane says:

Sorry I didn’t finish. Also’ he support kurt when kurt left dalton and him. He also though scared he went to the prom for kurt. Though he didn’t want to leave dalton and his friends. He did. He was willing to take a minor role in the play. Seems he does alot of giving and support to kurt. As a friend I don’t think the intent was ever to hurt kurt. As a boyfriend I think he does just fine.

45. zaza says:

Just a short question to think about for you: do all of you know about what you battle here?? Glee is a TV show with just fictional characters and stories! Is such a tv show really worth to be at strife with some peeps on the internet you never have met? I like glee as well but in my mind something like that should never be this important for one!

46. Finchel4eva xx says:

I don’t care if this sounds wrong cos I ADORE Finchel, their so cute together!! :) <3I'm super excited for this episode! When i found out what was gonna happen i just HAD to find out spoilers!! To bad i have to wait till thursday (UK glee day) :(
    Finchel forever!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 :D

47. Jenna says:

I’m pretty much curious for Karofsky/Kurt scene. In every review I had read is this scene highly praised and even my favorite reviewer Kath Skerry from Give me my Remote – who always tend to favour Klaine – said, Max Adler is so amazing in this scene that she wishes he would come back in McKinley and that his friendship with Kurt should be explored. I mean, what the hell can happen in a single two minute scene, that everyone is head over heels with it?

48. mymy says:

So basically – message of the Klaine sex is: Dance with random guy, who is obviously after you, force yourself on boyfriend while being drunk – in car!!!, run away angrily when he refuses to have sex with you, later apologize and sing a romantic song – and voila! – your boyfriend let you in his pants!!! Yay!!!

49. gleelover says:

i herd blaine gets drunk and trise to get with kurt but he says no and blaine storms out and blaine is a wierd name

50. Jon says:

Whatever happened to the whole speech Blaine gave Kurt’s dad about “the talk” with Kurt and making sure he knew how important it was not to through yourself around. Did the new writing staff forget to review the last 2 years of Glee history?