The X Factor Top 12 Performance Night: Follow Along With Our Snappy Judgments

Spoiler alert: Stacy Francis is going to go for a giant glory note, Rachel Crow is gonna be all gosh-darn-aw-shucks cutesy, and those gentlemen from Stereo Hogzz shall bust a move.

Yes, it’s Top 12 Performance Night on The X Factor — and also your first opportunity to get your vote on and challenge the authority of judges who prefer Dexter Haygood to Elaine Gibbs.

If that sounds like your kind of party, then please consider this live blog post as your pithy, mildly inebriated viewing companion.

As the episode rolls on, I’ll update you on who’s performed what and offer my opinions of said performances in five words or less. So keep refreshing the page for all the good, the bad, and Nicole Schairheelsandmascara ridiculata.

The X Factor Top 12: Strengths, Weaknesses, and Suggested Song Choices

* Stereo Hogzz, Janet Jackson’s genius “Rhythm Nation”: Dreadful intro. Simon hyperbole! Decent?
* Chris Rene, The Carpenters’ “Superstar”: Likable, but underwhelming. Drops phrases.
* Leroy Bell, Lonestar’s “I’m Already There”: Pretty. Saw Lunesta butterfly though.
* Rachel Crow, Katrina and the Waves’ “Walking on Sunshine”: “America’s sunshine?” Nicole, please. Ai’ight.
* Lakoda Rayne, Fleetwood Mac’s “Landslide”: Echo-ey FX? Good + Predictable = Predictagood?
* Josh Krajcik, Christina Perri’s “Jar of Hearts”: I’d download, though wee wobbly.
* Melanie Amaro, The Eagles’ “Desperado”: Who needs five words? Awesome.
* Astro, a modified mashup of Naughty By Nature’s “Hip-Hop Hooray”/Missy Elliot’s “Get Your Freak On”: In Atro’s own words: “Dope.”
* Intensity, Kim Wilde’s “Kids in America”/LMFAO’s “Party Rock”: Need warm milk and pillow.
* Drew Ryniewicz, Nelly’s “Just a Dream”: I’m in disbelief, too. Tremendous.
* Marcus Canty, Bobby Brown’s “Every Little Step”: Tsunami of spectacle. Kinda upsetting.
* Stacy Francis, Patty Griffin’s “Up to the Mountain”: Too many candles. Contender, though.

Full recap will post early thursday morning, but until then, hit the comments and share your own opinions! And for all my X Factor news and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (148)

• fire the warbrobe department now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what a horrible song choice

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love how I have no idea which song was playing when you posted this one…pretty much right for nearly all of them.

Comment by Kevin C. – November 2, 2011 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • best part of the performance the lead singers arms

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what in the world is Simon sipping out of his pepsi cup

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Simon, the best group on the world? Really?

Comment by BeachBum – November 2, 2011 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At his hyperbolic best :(

Comment by Tusk – November 2, 2011 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely, absolutely beyond credible. Beware salesmen.

Comment by jw – November 2, 2011 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The judges must hear a completely different sound track than I am hearing

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As least they weren’t as dated as last week but they’re basically a singer with 4 backup dancers.

Comment by BeachBum – November 2, 2011 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If only Chris singing was as fine as his looks

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Huh? Have you seen the (drug caused) gaps between his teeth?

Comment by Medic – November 2, 2011 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First performance was meh

Comment by Nicole – November 2, 2011 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • flames and dockers really lol

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MUCH better than last week.

Comment by BeachBum – November 2, 2011 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • he is my favorite and looks damn good for his age

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lone star got to love him making this song his own

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Paula…Snap !

Comment by BeachBum – November 2, 2011 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • time to change the channel let me know when Rachel is gone

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • get ready for some sugar overload.

Comment by BeachBum – November 2, 2011 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People, people, PEOPLE!!!!! Really? Why so negative? Give these folks a chance, for crying out loud. Think positive.
    Oh wow this sucks.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – November 2, 2011 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • rachel annoys me

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Walking on Sunshine”?
    Wow, and here I am in the kitchen. Somebody hide the knives and sharp objects.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – November 2, 2011 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my ears and eyes are bleeding

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hit the x and end this now oh sorry wrong show lol

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This. Is. Terrible. I miss Kradam.

Comment by Brian – November 2, 2011 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is LA Reed high?

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • real mature

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She so “adorable” that they avoid critiquing her singing and the missed notes.

Comment by BeachBum – November 2, 2011 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Simon is the worst song picker ever. Yuck.

Comment by Betsy – November 2, 2011 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the seasons really???

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they look like bargain basement pageant girls

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, despite the Lennon Sisters Meets Sesame Street Wardrobe, Lakota Rayne looks and sounds pretty good.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – November 2, 2011 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ehh I dunno, they had something going on, but one of the girls kept going flat.. and it was very obvious

Comment by Shindig – November 3, 2011 01:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dixie Chicks have nothing to fear from these girls

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know. I couldn’t help but make the comparison myself and found LR lacking.

Comment by Elena – November 2, 2011 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ha, you dumb motherhuncher, lawler. you pretended to be a woman for years and duped a lot of people. now it’s caught up with you. you need help, man.

Comment by busted lawler – December 15, 2011 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lunesta LOL
    yikes the sorority babes i predict are going bye bye

Comment by rose – November 2, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now it gets interesting…Melanie and Josh

Comment by BeachBum – November 2, 2011 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mr. Slezak they were clearly butchering the Dixie Chicks version not fleetwood mac

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they could just put Josh’s voice in Chris’s body I would be in complete bliss

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they could just put Chris on another show (“Gossip Girl” works for me) I would be in complete bliss.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – November 2, 2011 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • poor josh, nicole must have a really poopy cd collection, cause man does she pick stinkie music, seriously who does she think she is, i say she is off the show next year

Comment by rose – November 2, 2011 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know what Nicole was thinking–that was a horrid song choice for Josh. I wanted him to do what he does best–soul, blues, something ragged and wild. Not–NOT “Jar of Hearts” whatever.

Egads she might as well hang Englebert Humperdink around his neck and count the hour till he’s voted off the show. What, does she hate him or something?? I’m so ticked at her right now!

Only being an excellent artist/singer is saving him.

Comment by ana_muti – November 2, 2011 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hey, I think Josh could do a pretty good job with a reworked version of Englebert’s “Release Me”.
        Although, I’d kind of like to hear him sing Steppenwolf’s “Snowblind Friend”.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – November 2, 2011 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I really want her to stop giving him predictable song choices :/ and I heard someone else say he should sing Pearl Jam, so I’m not alone. That makes me feel totally fuzzy, haha.

Comment by Shindig – November 3, 2011 01:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • His voice seemed a little tight tonight but I really like his voice

Comment by BeachBum – November 2, 2011 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m angrier than words can say about what Nicole is doing to both Josh and LeRoy–song choices are horrible! Josh deserves better, as does LeRoy

Comment by ana_muti – November 2, 2011 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whoa, this girl is amazing !

Comment by BeachBum – November 2, 2011 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Melanie Amaro’s performance, but The Eagles had so many interesting songs…I would have liked to have heard her sing something not quite so shopworn. “Desperado” has been done to death, IMO.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – November 2, 2011 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All I could think of as soon as she opened her mouth was the Seinfeld episode that was on the other night about the “Desperado, that’s my song.” episode, lol.

Comment by Shindig – November 3, 2011 01:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sorry roommate called demanding I clean the bathroom did I miss anything good?

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Only the best performance of the night :)

Comment by BeachBum – November 2, 2011 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • really astro in letters taller than the kid himself

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this was American Idol they would already have Astro and Rachel in a showmance thank got X factor hasn’t crossed that line

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who else feels like punching this cocky jackass in the face. That’d be dope.

Comment by Medic – November 2, 2011 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • another over-hyped performance

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to watch this, I’m on West Coast.

I suppose it’s a given that Drew gets the pimp spot?

Comment by Tim – November 2, 2011 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Tim looks that way.

Comment by ana_muti – November 2, 2011 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope, actually 3rd from last.

Comment by ana_muti – November 2, 2011 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • looks like I missed the best performance of the night and my god who watches that horrid tripe Gossip Girl

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I suspect (mind you, it’s only a suspicion) that was D.E.T’s point.

Comment by My Alter Ego – November 2, 2011 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you. Exactly!

Comment by darcy's evil twin – November 2, 2011 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tell your roommate you’ll clean it later. Your presence is required elsewhere.

Comment by BeachBum – November 2, 2011 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what is with the Glee comparisons this kids are nothing like glee

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cheesy but not in that good Velveeta shells and cheese kind of way

Comment by Matthew B Lawler – November 2, 2011 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post