Ratings: Glee, New Girl Return Down 19 Percent, Parenthood and Body of Proof Hit Highs

Get More: News, Ratings

Absence makes the heart grow fonder? Or “out of sight, out of mind”? The latter idiom seemed to be in play this Tuesday, as Fox’s Glee and New Girl both returned from their three-week X Factor/baseball-induced hiatus to markedly — yet expectedly — lower numbers.

Coming back to a 2.9 demo rating, Glee was down 19 percent from its Oct. 5 outing, and slipped 12 percent in total audience (with 7.43 million viewers). Similarly, America’s sweetheart aka Zooey Deschanel’s New Girl not only dropped trou but also dropped 19 and 13 percent in the demo (3.5) and total viewership (7.53 mil), respectively.

As such, CBS came away from the night with a double win, in both total viewers and in the demo.

Michael Slezak’s Glee Recap: Eire Walk With Me

Going hour-by-hour….

8 pm | NCIS led all of Tuesday in viewers and in the demo, holding steady with 19.4 mil/3.9. ABC’s Last Man Standing (9.3 mil/2.6) dipped 7 percent in the demo, while Man Up! (6.4 mil/1.8) fell 10 percent. Trailing Glee in its first hour, The Biggest Loser packed on 15 percent to deliver 6.4 million viewers and a season-high 2.3 rating. The CW’s 90210 (1.5 mil/0.7) drew a few more eyeballs but dropped 12 percent in the demo.

Dancing With the Stars: Did the Right Couple Get Booted This Week?

9 pm | NCIS: LA (15.6 mil/3.4) was down 8 percent in the demo but still bested the Dancing With the Bieber results show (15.2 mil/2.8, up 8 percent). Raising Hope (5.5 mil/2.5) didn’t suffer quite as badly as its lead-in, dropping “just” 14 percent from its last fresh outing. The CW’s Ringer managed held steady following its one-week break, with 1.8 million viewers and a 0.8 rating.

Parenthood Scoop: Black Donnellys‘ Jonathan Tucker Cast as [Spoiler]‘s New Boss!

10 pm | Unforgettable (11.3 mil/2.3) led the hour on both counts, even while dipping 8 percent in the demo. Body of Proof (10 mil/2.0) was up 7 and 11 percent, and delivered its largest audience of the season. Parenthood (5.3 mil/2.2) gained 10 percent in the demo to match its season high, while playing to its biggest audience since Sept. 27. (Versus its November 2010 averages, NBC notes, P’hood is up 34 percent in audience and 16 percent with the 18-49 crowd.)

What were you tuned into this Tuesday?

Comments (74)

• Friggin baseball. People probably didn’t even realize the shows were back. A shame :(

Comment by Mark – November 2, 2011 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, they just realized how bad Zooey is.

Comment by JJEFF – November 2, 2011 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Here here!

Comment by ESLKid75 – November 2, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Where? Where? Are you sure you didn’t mean to say “hear hear”?

Comment by CJ – November 2, 2011 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like a ton of people had no idea that the Fox shows were back last night. They haven’t been advertising them nearly as well as Terra Nova and The X Factor.

Comment by E – November 2, 2011 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh I knew it was back and on my TiVo main menu screen there was an advertisement that there was a new glee tonight. I find it absolutely hysterical that the TiVo didn’t record it because of some technical issue with whoever provides the listings! lol

Comment by Mike – November 2, 2011 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I noticed last week that Glee wasn’t on my “to do” list even though I have a season pass. I was able to record it and next week’s episode is set to record. Not sure what Tivo’s problem was.

Comment by dan – November 2, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A “ton of people” wouldn’t affect the ratings much. That would only be 10-15 people, and chances are, no more than a couple of them would possibly have Neilsen boxes.

Comment by CJ – November 2, 2011 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What makes me mad is that my TiVo decided not to tape Glee last night. No idea why. It’s high enough up on my list that it should tape. And Fox must have been working because New Girl did tape. So odd.

Comment by Steve Olson – November 2, 2011 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just telling Ausiello that my Cablevision DVR does the same, fails to record GLEE. So odd.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 2, 2011 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Your DVR wants to save you from watching Glee, you should be thanking it.

Comment by Viv – November 2, 2011 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • True. LOL.

Comment by Renee – November 2, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • So what? You’re such a horrible and miserable person that you can’t allow others to enjoy what they like without you feeling the need to make negative comments regarding it.

Comment by CC – November 2, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My TiVo for DirecTV did, or didn’t do, the same thing. Luckily I double checked my “To Be Recorded” list in yesterday morning and manually set “Glee” to record.

Comment by Richard – November 2, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My Tivo ALSO decided not to record it (even though I checked the To-Do list on Monday and it was on there). Luckily I was going to watch it live anyway so I caught it.

Comment by David – November 2, 2011 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I did some googling last night and found some info on the TiVo forums. Apparently, the LISTING information provided to TiVo did not provide a flag that said this was a First Run of the Glee episode, so anyone who had their TiVos set to “First Run Only” for Glee would not have gotten the episode unless they manually set it.

I guess this technically isn’t TiVo’s fault…but it’s not OUR fault either!! I feel like compensation should be made. lol Of course, it’s only a Glee episode so it’s basically just the principle of it all at this point. :-)

Comment by Mike – November 2, 2011 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Cause we should always depend on a machine to tell us what is going on…

Comment by Joe – November 2, 2011 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I wish we all could have that “I’m better and far superior than you” attitude, Joe. But yes, in this case we should normally be able to rely on the DVR to get it right. That’s its one and only job! Now, I normally don’t trust “MACHINES” (as so many sci-fi movies have taught us) and do double check the “to do” list. But, I really didn’t think about it with Glee and I was busy doing other non-TV things like eating dinner, preparing my home for soon to be newborn child. And just this one time, I relied on the TiVo to do its job. And it didn’t because of some silly “INCORRECT” technical flag.

Apparently, you also didn’t catch the joking tone of my last post either. I really don’t care for compensation for a Glee episode, but I do think it’s ridiculous that it didn’t record…especially with the TiVo advertising the “new episode” all over its menus.

Comment by Mike – November 2, 2011 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It isn’t a better than you attitude.

It’s an attitude of relying on technology to do the simple things and how it has made society lazy and just added to the whole, I want and deserve everything.

If TV is to the point that one can’t even turn it on to see what is On and if it is new or not, then perhaps people need to rethink their priorities if they should even be taking the time to watch something…

Comment by Joe – November 2, 2011 10:24 AM PDT
          • It’s really all how you look at it. Technology has made life more convenient so you can focus on the more important things without having to waste your time managing your TV schedule. As I mentioned, I was never serious about DESERVING compensation for missing an episode. It was a light-hearted joke that I assumed some people (excluding people who always bring “society collapsing” into the equation) would relate to.

In my case, my priorities were on everything BUT TV which is why I didn’t happen to catch the episode. And, I’m guessing the birth of my child should probably take higher priority than seeing the Glee Club sing about Kermit the Frog. So, I’m not really sure what you’re trying to get at here with your soapbox speech.

Comment by Mike – November 2, 2011 11:56 AM PDT
          • I totally agree with you, Mike. It’s not the end of the world that TiVo failed, BUT when we spend money on technology we expect it to work according to instructions (and their own ads of “we’ve improved our product with this and this”). When it doesn’t, it’s not providing the service we paid for by buying it. It’s like when you’re surfing the net but your browser keeps freezing. It’s NOT the end of the world, but it sure as hell is not providing the service that it’s meant to.
            SO JOE, no, we’re not expecting our technology to poop candy bars —unless the company advertises that it will poop candy bars, in which case it better!

Comment by lipsticksocialism – November 2, 2011 12:18 PM PDT
    • Mine has done this twice, but with CSI. I had take it off of my record list and then re-put it back on for it to start working.

Comment by Cheyenne – November 2, 2011 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same thing happened with Glee and our TiVO. Good thing we were paying attention!

Comment by lore – November 2, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me to, I fixed the problem last week when I saw that Glee wasn’t on my ‘to do’ list (even though next week’s episode was set to record). I suspect that FOX must have originally planned to air a repeat after the world series and then changed it to a new episode; TiVo and other DVR providers may have been told the episode was a rerun so that is why it didn’t record for many season pass holders.

Comment by dan – November 2, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Most of my friends didn’t know it was back- they were upset they missed a new episode. Fox dropped the ball with advertising that it was coming back this week.

Comment by gleek – November 2, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They probably assumed you’d know that the World Series ended last week. And that you had noticed that they said the show would return on November 1 back when they said it wasn’t going to be on for a couple of weeks.

Comment by CJ – November 2, 2011 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, for next week I asume that Glee will have a super high rating.

Comment by Nathaly – November 2, 2011 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the Hiatus threw people off and yes many didn’t know that Glee was back on last night…well that and the lack of Klaine related scenes but of course I am bias. <3 Our Boys Kurt and Blaine…Klaine all the way!!!

Comment by Stefan – November 2, 2011 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about, out of power? CT and MA are in bad shape!

Comment by Ryan – November 2, 2011 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yep, just before my daughter wanted to watch Glee, I noticed that the tivo was not set to tape this week and assumed it wasn’t on til my daughter made me check again.

Comment by kyrjar – November 2, 2011 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s blame this on the wide spread power outages in the north east from the freak October snowstorm… yeah that’s what I’m going with

Comment by Hannah – November 2, 2011 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that could explain the viewers but not the demos. Demos are percentages of sets in use. So if you have no power you wouldn’t impact the demos

Comment by lil jo – November 2, 2011 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe only old people lost their power? (I for one didn’t, though everyone else around me in Northern NJ did. I’m special that way.) Although that would seem prejudicial of the electric companies, no?

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 2, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Where I am we had massive power shortages that affected every age group, the towns looked like ghost towns as nothing was working. I still don’t have power and the nights are freezing.

Comment by Gee – November 2, 2011 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t worry about ratings that much. There is so much on on Tuesday night’s that I have to DVR half of it to watch later.

Comment by Kendal – November 2, 2011 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My TiVo also didn’t have glee setup for record but I noticed it a wk before and hit to be recorded myself (even though the season pass should’ve done that) I wonder how many people this happened to. Not sure why it didn’t have it as a new episode :(

Comment by Dee – November 2, 2011 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lack of Finn and Rachel is the problem for glee. They are the leads, but you would never know it. I am done watching it myself. I only watch for finn and rachel, so next week will be the best. but I am slowly slipping away. Fox really messed this winner up – stick with the story of the underdog – finn and the superstar – rachel. and the joining of those worlds. It is why it was a huge success in season one and a major f up in season two.

Comment by mike – November 2, 2011 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yup this was Foxs mess up i barely saw any advertising for any of the shows

Comment by ggny – November 2, 2011 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee was boring last night. I turned it off halfway through. They keep reducing Lea Michele’s role and it’s making Glee a boring show. On the other hand Ringer was really good.

Comment by Laure – November 2, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yessss, NCIS is killing it–and last night’s ep was hilarious! :D
    The best eps are the one’s where Tony’s bouncing off the walls and last night he was in rare form (he and Ziva need to take their act on the road). Meanwhile, Abby is too cute and the Gibbs/Fornell bromance tops all. Long live NCIS!

Comment by Alicia – November 2, 2011 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What Alicia (and Dani down below) said – YAY NCIS! Fav moments – when Abby asks for a do-over, and Gibbs actually leaves and comes back in, and when Leon is about to explain to Gibbs why Fornell has lead, and realizes Gibbs had said it was fine by him. All around most hilarious episode in ages.

Comment by carlie – November 2, 2011 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yep, definitely the funniest ep in a long time. It felt like a throwback to season 5 or 6; everything was clicking and everyone was at the top of their game. Glad other people enjoyed it too; seems like almost all the comments are about the ~sturm und drang~ of some TiVo/DVR fiasco.
        Well, props to the show that’s slaying competition left and right!

Comment by Alicia – November 2, 2011 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The first episode or two I saw of New Girl, I liked it. Now, however, I find it annoying. That voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

Comment by CAM – November 2, 2011 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. In the pilot ZD’s character was a little annoying, but she was mostly quirky. Now she is full on annoying. I will give it one or two more weeks, but I can really see myself dropping this show.

Comment by Patrick – November 2, 2011 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • totally agree! I think Wayans made the show to be honest and I am happy that Happy Endings is still around but New Girl just isn’t the same show without him. The Basketball guy from Latvia? really? And the emotionally stunted teacher with the feeling stick stuff is getting old…FAST. Quirky is one thing. (Happy Endings) She is coming off as more of the “Special” girl than that special girl that just moved in with 3 guys…

Comment by Sarah – November 2, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think people are tuning out of glee because they know the vets are leaving, the storylines are awful, more guest stars are taking over and yes they are marginalizing Lea’s role probably because Blaine is more than likely going to be the new lead next year. This show wont last a year without the original characters.

Comment by Katie – November 2, 2011 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My TimeWarner DVR didn’t record Glee either — wonder if it wasn’t listed as ‘new’ somewhere in the DVR universe.

Comment by Jessica – November 2, 2011 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, with Glee I just want to ask where is the Rachel and Finn interaction? So much of this show has been about the two of them and their journey. The first few eps this season they are nowhere to be found. I know Rachel has had an impact in the first few eps and finally we got to see more Finn last night but where is their interaction together? Finally next week, 5 eps in, we get to see them as a couple. Thanks, I guess. Also, I agree losing Lea, Cory, and Chris is going to be the official death of that show. I know people like Blaine/Darren but not it won’t be enough to keep that show a float.

Comment by Bryn – November 2, 2011 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now that the baseball season is over I really feel like in my mind that I don’t consider on how long FOX going to keep up with all of their televised baseball playoffs and World Series schedule ’cause Kevin Reilly really screwed up everything he had with his network and taking it all the blame he had because of ratings. On the other hand I’ll always keep watching PARENTHOOD every Tuesday nights ’cause it’s still the best family drama on television and I don’t know if more than one cast member may be gone after the season ends.

Comment by kevin – November 2, 2011 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought about that too. I guess CT and MA aren’t considered to be big enough or important enough to impact ratings? *sigh*

Comment by Alex – November 2, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was just my TiVo that didn’t record Glee. The one night that I was not sitting in front of the TV watching the red recording lights come one, TiVo decided to screw up. :-(

Comment by Christina – November 2, 2011 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see Parenthood doing well. More people need to enjoy this lovely show. With Kleenex.

Comment by Ainavrw – November 2, 2011 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it………. NCIS Rocks!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Kiran – November 2, 2011 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NCIS is the best show on Tuesday and is tied with Castle as the best show on TV period. Last night’s episode was great writing and acting. I love when Fornell is on the show to spar with Gibbs. Tony was hilarious worrying about losing his hair. When are Ziva and Tony ever going to further explore their relationship??

Comment by dani – November 2, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go Parenthood!

Comment by DL – November 2, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad Parenthood is doing so good. Love this show, one of the best on TV, since they took off Brothers & Sisters.

Comment by Shar – November 2, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see Parenthood and Body of Proof doing so well, they are both great shows.

Long gone are the days when you saw a complete season and then a summer hiatus. Now we’re lucky if we get 6 or 7 eps in a row before we are imposed with a 3-6 week hiatus. So if shows loose their audience, blame the networks. Yes, it’s expensive to produce an episode, but hey, if things don’t work out, we’ll get another new show that we may or may not get to see depending on their hiatus schedules.

Comment by frustrated – November 2, 2011 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched NCIS only! I’m loving this season! More than normal amount of Abby, no angsty daddy/dinozzo issues for Ziva, and Gibbs has been pretty hilarious too! My only problem is McGee’s voice, is SM ill or something?
    Last night was also the first time I miss New Girl… Decided to catch up on Monday’s Conan in NY instead.

Comment by Clarissa – November 2, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I seeing the irish lad on glee. I didn’t know he had such a pure falsetto. Although I have to say that Britney’s fast and quiet dialogue is more of a problem than the irish accent!
    The girls did a great job with “Candy Man”.

Comment by Bink – November 2, 2011 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here is what’s wrong with Glee. The kids are seniors. Plenty of interesting stories to look into about rites of passage, life changes, etc…. So Glee does stories on:

1) An idiotic woman’s ludicrous quest for Congress based on her hatred of a glee club. Um, yeah, that stuff is comic gold. Not. Oh and so believable, too.

2) An idiotic girl’s ridiculous plan to overturn her legal adoption because “she’ll never do anything perfect again”. For example, HAVE ANOTHER BABY. She’s 18. The guy she had the baby with is… AROUND. The chance of her getting the baby back if this were real life? Zero by the way. Same as Sue’s chance of getting elected to Congress.

3) An idiotic girl’s paying for a second glee club. This so we can have two glee clubs that lack the requisite number of members to compete in inter-school competition (a theme Glee has addressed so we know about it). Our “New Directions” friends who made nationals this year not even eligible for sectionals. COMIC GOLD.

All three of these story lines are nothing short of idiotic. But at least they aren’t funny. GOLD.

Comment by Mark – November 2, 2011 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice about Body of Proof ratings going up. I like the show but hope TPTB listen to the fans and drop the Megan’s ex and boss storyline which adds nothing to the show except their daughter’s angst.

Comment by nitemar – November 2, 2011 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Angst? That’s a shame.

Comment by vincentdante – November 2, 2011 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think TPTB are fixing the storyline on Body of Proof– they just let the story tell itself rather than having a sudden fix as correction.

Comment by swthompson – November 2, 2011 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • New Girl was completely unwatchable last night. What were the writers thinking? This episode could have been a Beavis and Butthead script – except B&B would have been funnier – and using that comparison shows just how bad this episode was. Hehehe.. she said the p word … heheheh UHHGGGG!

Comment by econruth – November 2, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY Body Of Proof, went up in demo, I hope it stays at 2.0 or higher.

Comment by fernando – November 2, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NCIS was great last night. It was close to perfect: it had great comedy, a great main story, I loved the Tony/Ziva stuff going on, Ziva got some good action-Ziva is a total BAMF and hottie and everyone was in top form. Who wrote this episode? If anyone from the show reads the feedback on here, give us more episodes like last night. With everything mentioned above. Fantastic. :)

Comment by Shiloh – November 2, 2011 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC is consistently making some of my favourite shows at the moment. Parks & Rec, Chuck, Parenthood, Harry’s Law – shows that are not exactly booming in the ratings and might not survive if they were on other channels. It’s great to see Parenthood up over last year, that suggests chances of survival are reasonable.

Comment by Ben – November 2, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad to see I am not the only one who finds New Girl annoying. I agree with the poster who said ZD’s character has gone from quirky to annoying. It is no surprise to hear the ratings are down.

As for Body of Proof and Parenthood- HURRAY! Both are great shows that deserve larger audiences.

Comment by CAM – November 2, 2011 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • New Girl was really cute and quirky and I really enjoyed Wayans Jr. but once he was gone the show became less funny and Zoey became more annoying. So I am no longer a viewer.

Comment by Monique – November 2, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nice to know you enjoyed that ONE EPISODE.

Comment by CJ – November 2, 2011 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go Ringer!! Glad to see its ratings held steady.

Comment by Snapy – November 2, 2011 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A few million people don’t have power and simply can’t watch anything right now.

Comment by Midori – November 2, 2011 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love how 99% of this timeline is about Glee! You people LOVE to hate! Lol

Comment by Christina – November 3, 2011 02:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee is definitely overrated.. i don’t know why people watch it..

Comment by Amy – November 3, 2011 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post