TVLine Items: Summer Glau Is on TNT's Scent, Seinfeld Succeeds Regis, Hot Homeland and More

Summer Glau is ditching geek for doggy chic by joining TNT’s new pilot, Scent of the Missing.

The sci-fi goddess will star opposite Tricia Helfer and Eric Winter on the cabler’s upcoming pup-centric drama, playing a member of the K-9 Search and Rescue team who is described as being “tougher than she looks,” Deadline reports. Brothers‘ Daryl “Chill” Mitchell has also joined the project.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

And Regis Philbin’s first Live With Regis & Kelly fill-in will be… Jerry Seinfeld! The comedian will join Kelly Ripa as co-host for three shows (starting Nov. 21) following Reeg’s Nov. 18 daytime departure. Guests during Seinfeld’s time in the tall chair will include Jason Segal (How I Met Your Mother), Kim Cattrall (Sex and the City), celebrity chef Jamie Oliver and Miss Piggy.

Niecy Nash (Reno 911!) will play Cedric the Entertainer’s wife on TV Land’s upcoming Hot in Cleveland spinoff, per Deadline.

• True Blood alum Chris Coy (aka Barry the Bellboy) has landed a series regular spot on the third season of HBO’s Treme, playing a young reporter who is new to New Orleans, Deadline reports.

• In ratings news: Showtime’s Homeland this Sunday enjoyed its third consecutive week of growth and delivered its largest 10 pm audience yet: 1.3 million total viewers, up 18 percent from the acclaimed drama’s debut. Factoring in its Sunday encore, Homeland‘s latest episode amassed 1.6 million viewers.

• Jimmy Kimmel will host the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner, which C-SPAN will air April 28, 2012.

• NBC’s new new trivia game show Who’s Still Standing? — which is hosted by Cash Cab‘s Ben Bailey — is set to premiere over the course of a week beginning December 19 at 8/7c.

• Bravo has ordered a second season of Million Dollar Decorators, per The Hollywood Reporter.

• TLC has renewed its docu-series Long Island Medium for a 12-episode second season, set to bow in March.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

Comments (31)

• Yay for Summer! Might check that out if it’s picked up even though I don’t really watch TNT.
    As much as I love Cash Cab, I feel NBC has just given up on its scripted shows. It just can’t compete against ABC or CBS, so it’s been filling up time slots with game shows like a Minute to Win It. *facepalm*
    Also, I love how TVline has just stopped updating Game of Thrones castings! LOL, I’m still getting my info over at Winter is Coming, but I can understand other websites becoming tired of “GoT just casted the n-th character in their cast of thousands!” I’m sure those who haven’t read the books are having a hard time wrapping their minds around how one show is planning on casting every British/Irish/Australian(?) TV/stage actor there is.

Comment by Sara – November 1, 2011 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • On this website, they only seem to cover glee and x-factor. Which is why I rarely read their crap.

Comment by Nick – November 1, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What a ridiculous analysis of this site! I don’t read the glee stuff and only give the x factor stuff a quick once over… but this site is full of stuff about every show I watch regularly.

Comment by Ben – November 1, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If that’s why they don’t report on every GoT casting, I don’t blame them. I’m a superfan myself and even I gave up caring once they casting itty bitty role #37 with little-known foreign actor #93. I “get” the need to hire cheap actors, but….

Comment by lauren – November 1, 2011 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • if its crap to you then why waste your time commenting?

Comment by @Nick – November 1, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • GoT has a huge azz cast!!If they added more well known actors they’d go bankrupt!!

Comment by shaun – November 1, 2011 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Who gives a damn if they arent well known. I’d prefer they keep to hiring strictly unknown actors as theay have had great success with their picks so far. Would you replace Conleth Hill’s Varys for one done by Tony Scali or the guy from Pawn Stars? Hell no.

That said, the casting of the kid in the horse barn Araya stabs when escaping King’s Landing was literally the worst actor I’ve ever seen in my life. If it was going to be such a terrible performance I wish the would have casted someone horrible and famous, even Tommy Wiseau could have done a better job than the chubby bundle of nepotism the stuck into the role. (You’re stabbing me apaaaart!)

Comment by Chugg – November 1, 2011 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @Lauren: I’m still caring!!! There are still a few critical people they haven’t been cast for season 2 (or rather, book 2), so I’m still waiting here twiddling my thumbs! Where are my Reeds?!?!?!?!?!

@Chugg: I agree! I’d rather have actors who can act over actors who are famous/pretty but crappy. The casting directors have done great so far. Everyone is superbly talented in season 1, especially the child actors! Can’t wait to see (some of) them in 5 years!! btw, who cares that the boy getting stabbed was a bad actor, he’s just some extra and of no importance…

Comment by Sara – November 2, 2011 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scent of the Missing sounds like a terrible title. What little I’ve seen about the premise doesn’t sound much better either, Summer Glau or no.

Comment by Tee – November 1, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s about a search and rescue dog…title makes perfect sence to me. BTW it’s the title of the book on which this show is based.

Comment by Jackson – November 2, 2011 04:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Even Tricia Helfer and Summer Glau don’t make me want to check it out.

Comment by Lauren – November 2, 2011 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jerry would be a great permanent replacement for Regis.

Comment by Rose – November 1, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s not funny,or even entertaining,so no.

Comment by shaun – November 1, 2011 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait, they are seriously making a drama about saving dogs? That just sounds plain adorable.

Comment by D – November 1, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you read the post?
      It’s about a K-9 police unit saving people or finding dead bodies.
      It’s not about saving dogs!!!

Comment by anonymous – November 1, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Summer Glau back on tv :). But the title, Scent of the Missing, now that’s a right stinker. Missing people smell….. oh dear

Comment by Fido – November 1, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh for god sakes. It’s about a search and rescue DOG. They find people using their keen sense of smell hence the name of the show. And by the way…yes, missing people smell and so does everyone else. That’s how the dogs find them!

Comment by Emily – November 2, 2011 04:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Summer Glau – My Goddess!! I’d watch anything of hers, but this sounds so terrible.

Comment by Eric – November 1, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Scent of the Missing” meets “Summer’s Curse of the Failed (Show).” Countdown to cancellation in 3,2,1…

Comment by RAGGEDT – November 1, 2011 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m waiting for Summer to take down an entire network with her this time. She has killed a dozen shows, but she needs to move up to a higher tier of fatal casting.

But still, this is proof that she must be a fantastic human being and a lot of fun to worth with, because I’m amazed that her name isnt the TV equivalent of saying Macbeth in a stage production.

Comment by Chugg – November 1, 2011 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jimmy Kimmel? Really? What, was Letterman unavailable?

Comment by Zoe – November 1, 2011 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Summer Glau & Tricia Helfner on the same show… Count me OUT.
    Two of most annoying actresses I have ever had the pain of watching.

Comment by El – November 1, 2011 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tricia was okay on Dark Blue.

Comment by shaun – November 1, 2011 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy to see that Homeland, the best new show on TV is finding an audience.

Comment by BeachBum – November 1, 2011 10:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That title was very misleading. You got me excited that Jerry would be the permanent co-host, I’d give up watching The View to see that!

Comment by David – November 2, 2011 01:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Firefly…Firefly…Firefly…

Comment by Bob – November 2, 2011 05:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excited to see Summer Glau back on my TV!

Comment by val – November 2, 2011 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s always a good thing to have Summer Glau on tv.
    She is the best thing about all the show’s she’s been in and i hope the pilot will be picked up by TNT.

Comment by olivia45 – November 2, 2011 06:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes Summer back! she is awesome along with Tricia should be an interesting show Scent of the Missing definitely deserves a look

Comment by damon – November 2, 2011 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the Long Island Medium show! I read that she has a two year waiting list. That’s great for her! But I feel bad for people having to wait that long. Seems she’s referring people to other mediums since her waiting list keeps growing and growing.
    I recommend Justin Terry. Even though he is young he is an amazing psychic medium. I have had phone readings by him and I swear by him. He is an angel that has proven there is an afterlife and has connected me with loved ones in spirt and answers any questions I have about anything. Here is his website:

Comment by Sally – November 3, 2011 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post