Ratings: Halloween Is Only a Treat for Castle; All Others Got Rocks (or Rock Center)

On a night tricked by depressed Halloween viewership, Castle was the only program to notch an increase in the coveted 18-49 demo. Drawing just shy of 13 million total viewers whole scoring a 2.9 demo rating, the ABC drama copped gains of 20 percent.

Most everyone else, though, got rocks in their pillowcase. See:

* Dancing With the Stars averaged 16.3 million total viewers and a 2.8 rating, down 12 percent in the demo to an all-time low for a performance show. NBC’s The Sing-Off (4.4 mil/1.4) upticked 5 percent to its best audience in four weeks, yet dipped 7 percent to an all-time low rating. (If only to rile people, I pass along a rival network’s observation that The Sing-Off is averaging 27 percent lower numbers than Chuck/The Event delivered a year ago. Consider yourself riled!)

* Onto the CBS sitcoms, How I Met Your Mother (10.7 mil/4.1) and 2 Broke Girls (11.1 mil/4.2) both slipped 7 percent in the demo, Two and a Half Men (13.8 mil/4.7) tumbled 15 percent, and Mike & Molly (11.53 mil/3.8) was down 10 percent.

* The Fox dramas, back from their baseball hiatus, took pretty much the biggest hits on Monday. Terra Nova, at 6.4 mil and a 2.1, dropped some 22 percent, while House (6.55 mil/2.5) was down about 20 percent.

* Trailing far, far behind Castle and Hawaii Five-0 (10.3 mil/2.9, down 6 percent), NBC’s Rock Center newsmagazine premiered to 4.1 million total viewers and a 1.0 rating — improving on The Playboy Club‘s final audience but down 17 percent versus Amber Heard’s comparatively bodacious demo.

What were you watching on Monday as you consumed “fun size” Baby Ruths?

1. DK says:

Yikes. Castle had an uptick, ’cause this Castle was the epitome of Castle. Just an amazing episode all around.

• Greg says:

I agree Castle stinks.

• Michael says:

Castle and House suck. House is unwatchable this season and ratings are a shame.

• DK says:

Yeah, here’s the thing. I wasn’t being sarcastic. I loved the episode. It had caring, it had action, it had wit, it had family. It was an all around amazing episode, and if you can’t see that, then a) you didn’t watch it or b) you’re just being a jerk on purpose, which, since this is the internet, not really surprising.

It was an amazing episode, the best of the season so far, if not the best of the entire show so far!!!

• Jillian says:

I agree. I wasn’t taken by Castle at first…but ever since the premiere, it’s really starting to grow on me, especially that last episode.

2. Elodie says:

I saw Castle last night ! It was amazing ! *O*

3. Alicia says:

Great ep of Castle last night! So much Mamihlapinatapai between Castle and Beckett :). Also great that it gained nearly 2 million viewers from last week, considering the night’s depressed viewership and all…
    As for House’s numbers… JUSTICE—-’s “stress” just came up on my shuffled playlist. Hmmm.

• PHXcowbot says:

Mamihlapinatapa – what a perfect word to describe those beautiful brief personal exchanges between our heroes.(check wiki). And I’m so glad Alexis is back on the market – she needs more plot lines than that dork/dick at Stanford.

4. Kelly says:

Numbers don’t lie. Good job David Shore! lol

• D says:

Baseball. Two week break. A holiday. We have yet to see three episodes of House, in the span of three weeks, uninterrupted and aired under normal circumstances.

But I’m sure you’re billion-dollar TV show did better last night. Numbers don’t lie, right?

• Jane2 says:

Bad writing. Lame new cast. Consistent downward trend in ratings. Can a new series low be too far away?

• Beth says:

Fox had baseball last year, and the ratings didn’t drop this much. Last year it started at 4.2 and the first episode after baseball was 3.7. This year it went from 3.9 to 2.5. Last year the ratings for this period average 3.84 this year 3.05. I’m don’t claim to know what the cause is but it has dropped a lot from last year. Those that though the loss Cuddy would bring back viewers were wrong.

As for Halloween, while it affected all shows last night, Fox shows took a much bigger hit than any of the other networks. HIMYM and TBG didn’t even hit season lows last night.

• Linda says:

“Last year the ratings for this period average 3.84 this year 3.05. I’m don’t claim to know what the cause is but it has dropped a lot from last year.” Probably the different timeslot and the very bad lead in? You can`t compare both datas and once people started to watch dancing or CBS comedys they dont change the channel later. it is a given fact,Sorry.

“Those that though the loss Cuddy would bring back viewers were wrong.” You are wrong, look at my comment below. LE self-choosen exit didn`t hurt the show the lack of love interest hurt the show and that the writers were totally unprepared of her exit hurt the show and the bad lead in hurt the show,Yes

5. Julie says:

SO happy for Castle! So well deserved!!! This episode kicked more bee-ew-tee-tee!

6. Liz says:

Why am I not surprised that Baseball screwed with Fox’s ratings?

• Holly says:

I keep hearing the argument that FOX always does this with baseball and it’s the same every season, so it doesn’t matter, yadda, yadda… but I do wonder what you would see if you ran the numbers from premieres (especially of new shows) and early season versus after-baseball. I, for one, had been watching Terra Nova regularly until baseball, but then I forgot it was on last night. I think it may have even been on last week, but it seemed like every time I turned to Fox to watch it, it was interrupted by something else, so I kind of gave up. I wonder if there will be drops for other shows.

• Beth says:

Terra Nova wasn’t on last year so you can’t compare it, but I do have numbers for House, which aired in the same slot last year. House had a break between 10/18 and 11/08 last year. The ratings were 9.65 total &3.6 (18-49) on 10/18 and came back at 9.63 total and 3.7 (18-49). So I don’t know how much you can blame Baseball for ratings declines.

7. DSW says:

I’ve tried to like Terra Nova but it’s just not working for me.They are trying to build mystery around an annoying character that no one likes (teenage son,Josh) or cares about.It’s hard to believe this is Steven Spielberg produced,it’s horrible,imo.Yay for Castle!

• Anana says:

I was just telling a friend that I totally forgot this was on last night and it was only when I realized the DVR was on that I had to think about what I was recording. Not sure if I’m going to bother watching, since I feel so apathetic about this series right now.

I had such hopes for a Brannon Braga scripted series that perhaps my expectations were just too high for what I’ve seen so far.

• Snapy says:

I like Josh better than the creepy, chauvinistic father Jim.

• Alienate says:

Hard to believe it’s a Spielberg? It sucks precisely BECAUSE it’s a Spielberg. The man has not produced anything watchable by an intelligent adult in years.

8. Melissa says:

Yeah for Castle. It has been my favorite on mondays since the beginning.

9. AJT says:

Last night would have been a great night for the death of Hawaii Five 0.

• Kate says:

I dont know about the death of the whole show, but I was hoping the new girl would die.

• dee says:

Totally. They ruined this show by adding all these characters. Who thought that was a good idea?

• Kate says:

No idea but they should be fired. We barely saw Kona as it was, but now even the new girl gets more screen time than her and Chin. Normally I like the relationship angles on shows but this a show that was doing just fine without it. I didn’t mind the occasional appearance of Danny’s ex or Steve’s friend, but this season they seem to be trying to force the romantic side. Between newby and the museum girl it seems we are doomed for a season where Steve and Danno giggle like school girls. The reason I loved this show was the relationship between the team, but the creators seem hell bent on screwing up the chemistry they created in season one.

10. Martha says:

Castle is an amazing show with a great talented cast that doesn’t need for ABC to get guest stars each week to lure viewers.
    Yesterday it totally rocked!

11. shirl says:

House sucks. After the last show in season 7 I can not bring myself to like house again. Would of been alot better to end season 7 with after hours.

• Liz says:

Season 7 was total crap (esp. the first part), the first episodes of season 8 were completely awesome compared to it. Live with it, Huddy fangirl, and follow LE to TGW, annoy that fandom. BTW I’m not surprised about the ratings, after all it was Halloween, I have better to do than watch TV on Halloween.

• Michael says:

Well it looks like since LE left the show is going downhill. Last season it pulled pretty good numbers for a show in its 7 season and it was steady until the few last episodes. This season ratings are falling like a stone and there in no excuse to deny it.

• Rose says:

Hopefully House will improve with Chase returning. There needs to be more Wilson. Don’t like the prison doc, and haven’t made up my mind yet about the Asian doc. And Foreman isn’t believable as the Dean of Medicine. No way he would have jumped from a medical fellowship to Dean of Medicine. They should have made a new character Dean, and had House come back to Foreman heading the Diagnostics Department.

12. Melinda says:

I agree! This was the best episode of the season so far! I loved the line that Martha yelled at the Robber (something like “Don’t you dare touch him, you Son of a Bitch!”) Especially after I read the story that TvLine wrote about how she changed that line. It fit her character perfectly!)

13. LOL says:

Rock Center was actually pretty decent. Check it out.

• Rose says:

Rock Center was good. I would have liked the story about the Chinese baby tourists to have included the stuff about the 1 Baby Policy has on this business. Too bad they said you had to go online to get that part of the story. It would have given the TV story more depth to have included it on the show.

14. Diane says:

I enjoyed Rock Center, it had really good reporting with a nice mix of stories but had a little fun with it especially with Jon Stewart popping in…

15. EdTV says:

I was very surprised networks aired programming on Halloween anyway, I wouldn’t trust any of these numbers because viewing habits were likely thrown off for most live viewers.

16. MEME says:

Well THERE YOU GO FOX!
    It’s pretty obvious right now, that Fox can’t handle premiering its shows and then putting them on schedule with baseball, the right way. I mean, I don’t have a problem with baseball, YAY… But I’m starting to think Fox should just premiere all its shows until November except for X Factor. It’s ridiculous, and Terra Nova better come back to steady ratings because I really want a 2nd season. As for House, which I’ve seen every episode of, I just don’t get it. Why couldn’t they have just have 2 girls when Jennifer Morrison and Olivia Wilde were still in the show? Why until now, with 2 newbies?! I hope its ratings increase too, and I will be sad if it’s the last season… but they’re definitely not helping themselves.

17. Katie Hart says:

I watched How I Met Your Mother, 2 Broke Girls, House, and Castle, same as I do every Monday that there are no repeats. But Castle blew all the others out of the water, so I’m not surprised it did so well. But I wanted to smack Martha at the end when she ruined the perfect “almost kiss” moment!

18. Emily says:

I’m sorry, I know that NBC has pretty poor judgement, but who decides to DEBUT a show on Halloween? Whose idea was that really?

19. Maria says:

Last night was the first episode of Castle that I’ve ever watched from beginning to end, and I’m so glad I did. What an amazing show and a talented cast. I think I’m gonna stick around for more.

20. Maria says:

Yep, Castle! Hold on!!! It’s so amazing.

21. Liz says:

Why don’t they move Chuck back to Monday?

22. Erika says:

Last night’s episode of Castle was just awesome. From the very first moment Kate found out Castle was in danger you could see in her face the emotion of possibly losing Castle. The way she spoke to the bank robber you really tell she was up to anything to get him back safe. That moment inside the vault was priceless I so wished they could have kissed but Castle’s mom so killed the moment. But I loved that they had that moment and they are both showing their emotions towards each other but not the fact that they aren’t actually confronting those feelings and talking about them. I’m good with them expressing their feelings like that but at some point I want to see a kiss or something.

23. nitemar says:

Love Castle since the beginning, but last night was one of the best. Not surprise of the nunbers since new fans are watching like there’s no tomorrow. Ouch! only way to describe House.

• Templar says:

That was a good episode of Castle, however, as soon as they had the guy say he just wanted to see his family I picked him as a bad guy. How long are they going to have to shoot around Nathan’s growing size. Every scene is shot at odd angles, 3/4 profile featuring his shoulder, chest up not showing his waist, seated in dim lighting, someone between him and the camera so only his head and shoulders show.

24. Aidan Williams says:

The Ratings really wory me for Two and a Half Men but at least it is still strong.

25. Diane says:

I’m wondering how low the ratings for Two and a Hal Men have to go before Walden can (nakedly) swim away into the sunset

• mike says:

I agree 2.5 men is lame. The only time I laughed last ep. was when Allen was reading Charlie’s diary. Walden should save everyone the trouble of firing him and quit.

26. Leigh says:

I agree – Last night’s episode of Castle was AWESOME! Glad it did so well with the ratings and I can’t wait for next week. It’s going to be hilarious!

27. rubik's cube says:

I haven’t been able to watch everything from last night but everyone is going on and on everywhere I go today about how awesome “Castle” was last night. So that’ll definitely be tops on my list. And what the frak have they done to “House”? It totally blows now. It’s stultifyingly boring, sadly redundant and disgustingly immoral by turns. And why did they get rid of Cuddy? She was one of the most entertaining people they had left. Her and House were great together. I hate it when networks rework a good show so late in the game and just screw it all up. I can’t watch anymore. I’d rather remember it like it used to be and not the shell it’s become. Thanks so much, Matt, for the update. Your hard work and funny quips are always appreciated. :)

• Linda says:

Again for the umpteenth time:
      It was LE`s choice to leave House. The showrunners never wanted or planned it to happen and now they have to deal with the problematic situation. I´m sure if they had known it earlier they would have finished season7 completely different. I feel sorry for all Huddies who only watched the show because of H/Cu and are now disappointed & bitter. Thank your Queen!!
      I never watched House because of Huddy/LE. The show is about Houses journey and i still think it is one of the best shows on TV. YES,I pretty much enjoyed the episode yesterday.
      However i agree that the missing love-interest for house or will they/won`t they story makes the show a tad more unexciting.
      My guess is that DS made in season6 one super-BIG mistake. He placed bets on the wrong two horses. Now both are gone and the one he has been screwed over is on another new Hit-Show. Karma can be a B**ch, sometimes!!! It makes me laugh a bit.

I don´t think that the declining ratings are solely based on the lack of Cuddy or love-interest for House. There are other factors: Halloween,very bad lead in ( lets face it Terra Nova is a flop) and a very intense competition with the most watched shows of the week, for example. House is on a timeslot what was a cancellation hot spot for a lot of good shows in the past years, remember what happened to Chicago Code, Lie to me.

Anyway House is in its eigth season and has nothing to prove anymore. It is the most watched freaking show in the world,it was a major super smash-hit in the first seasons with very,very,very high ratings and additionally House is an iconic character we will very likely never forget. Can you say the same about any other show/character on TV recently? I doubt it.

• rubik's cube says:

House isn’t an icon to me. He’s just a TV character. To me, he used to be cool, funny, nuanced and deep, but now he’s become a simple one-dimensional jerk, unbelievably selfish and a total loser at everything. They’ve completely ruined him. And the revamp and rehash of things they’ve already done before and better in yesteryear on the show is a snoozefest. It’s almost embarrassing watching what the show has become. What does Huddy mean? And what do you mean by calling Cuddy my queen? Your post is full of fan jargon that you shouldn’t assume that I know. And as for defending the numbers last night, I didn’t comment on those so there was no need unless you were feeling insecure about them. Another presumption. I came here and stated my opinion just like everyone else, including you, did. If you loved it last night, that’s great. Different people have different tastes. Most of the people I know have already given up. I think they’re right. Cuddy made a big difference on the show. I always enjoyed her but her being gone just has made me realize what a big difference she made to the show and to House’s character. House watching one of the new girls with a bat he gave her smashing up someone else’s stuff smiling exultantly at the violence and destruction just made me disgusted and totally dislike him again, like they did with the finale. They’ve taken all of my favorite things out of the show and maimed or destroyed them. It’s either boring, or uber negative and immoral or an embarrassing thinly-veiled redo of things they’ve done in the past-making it look like they’ve ran out of ideas and are there for the money at this point. It’s sad. I used to love this show. So as I said, I can’t watch anymore. I’d rather remember it for what it was.

• Linda says:

No way, i believe that you are the same person i accidently answered. I recognize your wording/language and you are are pretty much aware of the meanings of the Queen and huddy. Okaaay it seems we are arriving now the stage of denial where the LE/Huddy fans pretend that they have no idea of the usual fan jargon, hehe .House is the only fandom i take part and your actions are familiar for me (the Cameron fans aren`t differnet). There is obvioulsy a pattern. Where are all the social scientist? ;) Okaay, I´ll play the game.
          IMO an iconic character is someone everybody knows, loved and someone who is occasionaly cited. After reading your comment i think you have spend a lot of time to analyze House and you didn`t stop (it helps that i know who you are, remember your wording). It is highly probable that in a few years later you`ll remember him and say for Petes sake i spend too much time to analyze him. Very likely for the wrong reasons.
          Let`s move on:
          Imo House is still the “cool, funny, nuanced and deep” Dude. House worked allways in a moral grey-zone, nothing has changed. It was from the beginning a challenge to figure out: Is he working on the good side or the bad side? What did change for you that you feel different? Cuddy?.yeah because she allways practiced medicine or was such a sweetheart in an ethitical right way?!! (cutting out his muscle without his approvement,setting tripwires to a crippled man, spilling out patient secret to her lover aso aso??) I never had the impression that she had any idea who the real man House is. She saw the genius but not the man in pain and the man who suffered. Something you can clearly figure out in season7 where she thoroughly tried to change him to her ideal version of a man, like her 50`s dream in bombshells. Their whole relationship was comparable to Bismarks “carrots and stick” politicy, like Do what i (cuddy) want and we (huddy) can peacefully live together & have fun (sex, whatever)! She made him high hopes that he is the “most incredible man” and that he shouldn´t be afraid because “common is boring”. He took the risk to offer her his heart and passion but at the end she dumped him in the most cruel way, for what? …. yeah right,because he is the man she has known for many years and allways was, an addict? a man in pain? depressed?; Even my parents & grandparents mourned about her behaviour, (sorry,i just want to adress this iconic character thingy again) :)
          House is hurt,angry and dissapointed.Methinks it is the theme of the recent season. House allways felt too much standalone if it is love, obssesion, guilt and this season (& the last season) it is anger. House still and allways tries to help the people around him to feel better. He wants to stabilize them. It was allways his strength & good side.In yesterdays episode he invited Adams to lash out her anger towards her unfaithful husband in a controlled,save way (shocking,he even paid for it) to minimize the possibility that she for example isn`t tempted to drive her car into the ex-husbands house. There is nothing wrong with it.
          I could continue but i realized that you ignored my arguments in my comment above because you thought i`m insecure and that`s why my chatting about ratings and the diffrent timeslot etc…
          It is, was it is …i say again if the creators had known that LE would leave the show they would have done alot of other different creative decision in the past, for example introducing another reliable love interest for House only to satisfy the passionate fans of romance ;) The Audience loves romances, look at Castle or bones!

• lucy says:

Any show still on the air has something to prove. It needs to stay creatively good to justify taking the audiences time. It needs to provide enough viewership to justify the money spent on it. Otherwise the show is just taking up space.
        I think a lot of people will remember Charlie Sheen’s character on TAAHM, Michael on the Office, Marc Harmon on NCIS, Barney on HIMYM, Dexter, Don Draper on Mad Men. I don’t watch all of these regularly but I think they are cultural icons to a lot of critics and average viewers.
        I don’t think House is still the most watched show anymore, last I read it was CSI.
        Blaming the ratings on the time slot and lead in is ridiculous. There is more people watching TV at 9 than there are at 8, LTM and CC just weren’t popular. A show as old as House shouldn’t need a lead in, it didn’t have one for several years.
        LE didn’t exactly chose to leave. She planned to come back, but got offered a bad deal. DS admitted the way he wrote the end of season 7 played into the hands of the negotiators at NBCU. It’s not as though LE quit on a whim.
        I love how you’re blaming the ratings decline now on the Cameron being written off in Season 6. There was no big drop in ratings when she left, the ratings didn’t jump when she came back for one episode. The ratings went down when JM was on HIMYM and jumped this season with her gone. Once Upon a Time is doing well because people like the concept of the show and like the character including hers on that show. It is not proof that people loved Cameron (different character on a different show) more than 13, Cuddy, Masters, or the new girls.

• Linda says:

First: You can`t compare cable dramas with dramas of a broadcast network. It is complettly different style of writing because cable dramas don`t have to integrate commercials and they are able to write coherent storys in 12 episode instead of 22-24.

Second: you can`t compare dramas with comedys or reality shows. It is a well known fact that beside others that during economy crisis comedys are more popular.

Third: I never said that Jen`s exit hurt the show at the time it happened. Just because at this time house was very busy pining for cuddy from every balcony he could found. Romances and will they won`t they couples are highly popular and H/cameron was one of them and allthough you won`t believe it. Of course Huddy was a popular too. It is a reason why we still have this fan wank.
          Cameron was fairly popular particularly in combination with House.Two years after a lot of people still writing fan fics. The H fandom would look completely different with Cameron on the team. I dare to say it would have exploded after LE exit announcement.

Fourth: I never said that Once is succesful because of Jennifer Morrison, God No !! There are other reasons, of course. Though i saw that a hell lot of Jen fans came out of her closet.
          I wanted to imply that the H-producer would be able to bring her back as a regular (remember love interest) if she wasn`t busy on another show. Now it is simply impossible!
          The PR of a Cameron return would have been huge.

fifthly : I´m afraid to say that the ratings increase of HIMYM is due it hasn`t House as competing TVShow anymore :) Last season of HIMYM was horrible written, especially the second part, i don`t think it is better, but the ratings decreased in a big way the episode after it was clear that Zoey is not the Mother. Have a Look and you`ll see :) Probably another reason of many others that Zoey was unpopular. The episodes before said episode it even beated house in the demo.However it was not JM fault the ratings were bad later in her 30sec appearances on HIMYM in the same way LE isn`t the reason for Houses ratings decrease.That`s a fact, sorry!!

• Linda says:

OhOooh and sixth:
            All the supporting actors of House had to to accept a paycut. LE was, it seems to be the only one who didn`t want to. Think about that for a moment.

• rubik's cube says:

Linda you sure do like to talk a lot. I was going to try to read your lengthy response and respond but, what’s the point? You’re more of a talker than a listener. I came and said honestly what I felt. You seem to need to try to rationalize it to make it more comfortable for yourself. That’s okay. If that’s what you need to do, talk away. ;)

28. casper says:

Yay Castle! “Cops and Robbers” was an amazing episode. The only drag was the Alexis storyline. They could have been given more focus on Martha/Castle or Castle/Beckett post-hostage situation/case solving instead.

Still, Castle is one of the few shows I anticipate watching every week. Well done, Marlowe & Co.!

29. docvap says:

Way to go Castle!!! Fantastic Episode! So glad to see the ratings were in their favor! They deserved it!

30. kevin says:

Think it’s time that FOX better end TERRA NOVA until its “series finale” on December 19th as does HOUSE which should be ending after eight seasons. Can’t wait for the new year when FOX has two of its much hyped new dramas in ALCATRAZ (JJ Abrams new drama) and TOUCH with the return of Kiefer Sutherland.

31. sara says:

Yaaaaaay!

32. Sarah says:

Castle is a great show with a talented cast.
    I don’t even dvr Hawaii anymore. The show is boring and Alex is just awkward . He sounds really odd when he talks..

33. cc says:

Castle was AWESOME!! It might be my favorite episode so far and that is saying alot considering how many fantastic episodes of Castle there are. Great Cast and great team of writers. Well deserved ratings. So happy for them all.

34. Jennifer says:

What happened to the story line driven episodes of Hawaii 5-O? This feels more like “CSI light” now that they have dropped the underlying story. Now they are just a crime show set in Hawaii with a few disjointed episodes about Steve discovering his father’s past.

35. Kate says:

Go Castle!!!!! The episode last night was amazing! I think it was one of the best of the series so far, and that’s saying a lot since most of them are fantastic.

36. Ronnie says:

I’m surprised it wasn’t mentioned that a lot of homes in the northeast are without power and/or cable as a reason for lower ratings. Are cable just came back on today so I missed all of yesterday’s shows!

37. Anna says:

Since large sections of the northeast were still without power, I’m sure that effected the overall ratings.