Gossip Girl Exclusive: Michelle Trachtenberg Returning For [MAJOR SPOILER ALERT]!

A holy terror alert has been issued for New York’s Upper East Side, and here’s why: Georgina Sparks is headed back to town!

Gossip Girl exec producer Josh Safran confirms to TVLine exclusively that professional pot-stirrer Michelle Trachtenberg is returning to the show for a sizeable arc.

And far be it from her to slip in quietly in the night, Georgina’s reentry has been timed for maximum impact.

“Her first episode back is our 100th episode,” Safran reveals of the show’s milestone outing, which is set to air in early 2012. “Her arc is unlike anything that she has done before on the show. Of course, she still is Georgina and all that implies, it’s just taking that in a new direction.”

When last seen in the Season 4 finale, the now-married mother of one — bored to death by domestic life — returned to the UES looking for some trouble. What she found was an unlikely kindred spirit in interloper Charlie. (Ms. Sparks skedaddled shortly after discovering Charlie’s Big Secret, which is sure to make their reunion a tense one.)

But wait, there’s more: The sixth coming of Georgina promises to take on added dramatic effect when you learn what Gossip Girl‘s 100th episode revolves around — a burning question I will be answering this evening in the Nov. 1 edition of Ask Ausiello.

Hint: It’s a doozy.

Until then, feel free to welcome — or unwelcome — Georgina back in the comments!

Comments (50)

• Wow, best GG news I’ve heard in a long time. This show could use a little trouble-making.

Comment by Allie – November 1, 2011 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree something big needs to happen and Georgina can make it happen!

Comment by Chris – November 1, 2011 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who better to stir up trouble than Georgina! For some reason Diana’s (played by Elizabeth Hurley) hijinks haven’t gripped me so far, so let’s hope crazy Georgie can spice things up as is her wont.

Comment by Wolfman Jacque – November 2, 2011 01:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there any logical reason she has not been added to the show full time? Has Trachtenberg denied the offers? What gives?

Comment by Logistics – November 1, 2011 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think she’s had a couple of failed pilots. I remember one was Mercy.

Comment by E – November 1, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Mercy wasn’t a failed pilot. It aired a full season on NBC, and probably should’ve been renewed considering NBC’s dire ratings strait.

Comment by r0ckmypants – November 2, 2011 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Like Jean-Ralphio in Parks and recreation, the best characters seem to be the ones that pop up occasionally. I think it’s better that she recurs, it adds a spice to episodes that have been dragging along.

Comment by Desola – November 1, 2011 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because she works better as a recurring character. Her appearances are big Gossip Girl events, her character would not have as much impact if she was simply cooking up new schemes every week. It would also render Blair a bit pointless as she is the show’s regular go to person for schemes even though she has somewhat mellowed recently.

Comment by CK – November 1, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Completely agree.

Comment by Ashley – November 1, 2011 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad Georgina’s back! It’s not Gossip Girl without her!!

Comment by Heba – November 1, 2011 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope we get some Dan/Blair in the 100th!

Comment by E – November 1, 2011 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I been waiting this news since the stary of this season, Wellcome back. Georgina we miss you so much… Bring Milo with you please

Comment by miri – November 1, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Very Awesome news!!!! I love Georgina and her appearance will be awesome!!!! Bet its to do with the paternity of blairs child!!! Hehehehehehehehehe

Comment by shuayb – November 1, 2011 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woah! This is great news! I love me some Trachtenberg!

Comment by Raksha – November 1, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Georgina. So yay! Now I’m really curious about the 100th episode news.

Comment by Sandra – November 1, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Yes yes yes! While I’m glad they never made her a series regular – I’m afraid the writers would somehow ruin the character if that were to happen – I love that she’s never gone for too long.

Comment by Summer – November 1, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh good a guest star for gossip girl with a sizeable arc. Can you feel the excitement?

I knew they would have to write in a new guest star for the second half soon. God forbid they write for main characters. So we can expect the second half to be all about Georgina. I believe Josh Schwartz even commented once that it is bad for a show when it is all guest stars. Can not wait to hear about the 300 guest stars that will be supporting Georgina and her storyline.

I honestly wish the media would be a little tougher on Safran.

Comment by Tammy – November 1, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love for Georgina to somehow be involved in helping Chuck get Blair back. That would be a dream story line for me.

That being said, welcome back, Georgie! You’re way more interesting that Louis and Diana Payne combined.

Comment by Emily – November 1, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also, looking forward to your scoop about the 100th- hope it’s CB-related :)

Comment by Allie – November 1, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Delusional Dair fan. Like they will actually give people Dair for the important 100th episode. Get over yourself.

Comment by lol no – November 1, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just curious as to what the point of comments like these are? Do you KNOW what’s going to happen on the show? Stop telling people what they can and can’t be excited for. Chair fans don’t own Gossip Girl.

Comment by Elle – November 1, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I laugh because you’re in for a rude awakening. Just you wait and see.

Comment by lol yes – November 1, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If you have info to share, share it. If you really think they will have something concerning dair for the 100th episode, then lol at your life.

Comment by lol at your life – November 1, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “…when you learn what Gossip Girl‘s 100th episode revolves around — a burning question I will be answering this evening in the Nov. 1 edition of Ask Ausiello.”

The only burning questions revolve around Chuck and Blair. Maybe he’ll tell us what comes after that kiss…if it already hasn’t been figured out.

Comment by No name – November 1, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “The only burning questions revolve around Chuck and Blair.”

lol…no

Comment by Elle – November 1, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Are you going to reply to every comment concerning Chair? Don’t be so hypocritical.

Comment by lol yes – November 1, 2011 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Now who’s acting like they know what is going to happen on the show? The biggest question I can think of is who the father of Blair’s baby really is, whether it’s actually Louie’s or not. So it would make sense that people are assuming it revolves around Chuck and Blair.

Comment by Ashley – November 1, 2011 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s obviously a slap because Blair isn’t interested in being with Chuck for the first time in three seasons, good for her.

Comment by Beth – November 1, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the reason she hasnt been made a regular imo is because making her a regular would kill the character that she is…what is she gonna do if she stick around full time? date nate? she works best when she can pop up during a season and cause trouble

Comment by ggny – November 1, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the fact that this is her “sixth coming” shows that she is way overplayed and that they need to get a new idea

Comment by Alexis – November 1, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is GOLD. The thing I love about Georgina? She brings out the bitch in everybody. Blair, Serena, Chuck, Dan, heck, I think Nate even makes somewhat angry faces at her. I’d love to see her come along and give Blair the kick she needs to break out of this storyline where she’s subjugating herself to the whims and desires of others instead of being her own person. Last season, Blair said she couldn’t be with Chuck because she wanted to be her own woman first. She’s abandoned that. Georgie could be the cure!

I also posit that the 100th is Blair’s wedding. Just saying. It’s going to be a disastersplosion, so why not?

Comment by O'Brien – November 1, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a huge Darena fan but Georgina and Dan better have some scenes together, they’re amazing together.

Comment by Chalice – November 1, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lord..GG NEEDS this!! Sadly GG has be horrible the past 2 seasons….

Comment by Monique – November 1, 2011 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pretty obvious… Miss Sparks is going to hook up with either Dan or Chuck, which will make Blair jealous, thus revealing her true feelings for whichever boy it was.

Comment by Luke – November 1, 2011 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very excited she’s coming back during the 100th episode!
    This should be fun!

Comment by Wendy – November 1, 2011 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do too. Plus I think her character would be more around those two seeing as she did trick Dan into being a baby daddy. And her and Blair have always been nemesis

Comment by Liz – November 1, 2011 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ooh yes one of my favorites is back….i miss little J tho (pretty reckless)

Comment by kirk – November 1, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michelle Trachtenberg should have been a SERIES REGULAR by now. It’s beyond me that they didn’t make her one this season. Anyway, I love that she’s back and looking forward for whatever trouble she’s causing. GG with Georgina is always the better show!!!!

Comment by Dennis – November 1, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Georgina but her character has no purpose. She was genius in Season 1 but every reappearance since-then has been a pointless publicity stunt. Really, what did she do in Seasons 2,3 and 4 that were even remotely as interesting as she was in Season 1? Every time she comes back it just feels like a cheap stunt to get people to watch and it never pays off.

Comment by Captain – November 1, 2011 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let me guess she’ll be on the good side this time & take down the über annoying Diana Payne.

Comment by dee123 – November 1, 2011 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really hope there’s some Dair in there!

Comment by Violet – November 1, 2011 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dair????
      Yesterday I saw some new pictures of Blair without her ring of engagement. Perhaps this news and the arrival of Georgina coincide. So go Chair!!!!!!!!!!!
      And how nice is to see her again.

Comment by Chiara – November 2, 2011 12:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love crazy Georgie! Can’t wait for your scoops on the 100th :)

Comment by Carly – November 1, 2011 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FINALLY!
    I’ve been waiting for Georgina to make a comeback since the S5 premiere. To hear that her arc’s going to be extended makes it all the more better! I still think they should’ve promoted Georgina as opposed to Charlie/Ivy. No one cares about her… Now if only Juliet could make a comeback as well.

Comment by Will – November 1, 2011 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Ivy/Charlie calls Georgina to help her get rid of Diana Payne, but then Georgina obviously sticks around to cause some more trouble.

Comment by Mehr – November 2, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah!! Well, if someone calls a Genie for a help, surely there’s a price to pay.. And Georgina is like that.. Hahaha!! Actually, she’s one of my favorite characters in GG!! Welcome back, G!! Go and run the UES!!

Comment by chris08 – November 16, 2011 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is very good news. I’m 4 episodes into this season in the UK and it needs a kick already. I was hoping to see the news that Sebastian Stan would return but MT returning is better.

Comment by kess – November 2, 2011 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • woww.. yeahhhh!!!
    GEORGINA SPARKS IS BACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!! YEYYYYY!!!!
    so Happy !!… i hope this time… she really very useful and very exciting in the storyline…
    bcoz last few season her story line come back to town was useful.
    hopefully this time her RETURN MUST BE VERY EXCITING AND BOOMING!!!

what about juliet sharp??
    georgina team with juliet? hahaha

whatever i know Georgina will Take Diana Down!

hopefully JOSH AND STEPHANIE make her to play until the finale of SEASON 5!!!!
    xx

Comment by gossip girl asian – November 5, 2011 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Michelle Trachtenberg and I really hope that they continue to have Georgina Sparks appear throughout the show’s run. I feel that Georgina should be that character who comes in and out from time to time. I like that she comes in and wreaks major havoc and then quietly leaves. However, when we start to wonder what she is up to, she pops up again.

Michelle even said in an interview that while she has been trying to find her own show and been doing a bunch of other things. She still wants to play Georgina. I feel that while Georgina is not a regular character, she is still important to the show. I feel that each of the main characters need a little Georgina in their lives.

I also like that when we think that they have gotten rid of Georgina for good, they always find some reason to bring her back.

Comment by Pete – November 29, 2011 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michelle Trachtenberg is one of the most beautiful caucasian actresses that have been on the movies. I really love that girl.

Comment by Health and Medicine – June 24, 2012 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post