Glee Recap: Eire Walk With Me

This week’s installment of Glee introduced us to an Irish exchange student (and possible “sprightly green mythological creature”) played by Glee Project winner Damian McGinty, cemented Quinn’s position among the Top 10 least likable characters on television, and featured a “whoa, did that just happen?!” kiss between [SPOILER AHEAD] Puck and Shelby. (Tell me I’m not the only one who felt that smooch was as realistic as Lord Tubbington pooping candy bars.)

Ah well, at least Santana was there to keep things light with her patented brand of bitchery. And at least we saw a spotlight turned on an underrated Christina Aguilera gem.

If you were busy watching Jennifer Aniston’s 1993 horror flick Leprechaun and missed the proceedings, please allow me to catch you up — in the classic “here’s what you missed on Glee” format:

Brittany mistakenly thought Rory, the Irish exchange student living with her family, was a leprechaun who could grant her three wishes, but all he wanted to do was get into her “pot of gold.” (Gross.) Finn and Santana got wind of Rory’s treachery, with the former enlisting the friendless kid as a spy to see if Santana and Brittany might defect to McKinley’s rival show choir, and the latter enlisting Rory’s help in making that defection happen. (Santana would only commit mutiny if Brittany went with her, and made the little Irishman work his magic to get Britt on board with the plan.) By episode’s end, Mercedes was thrilled to have Brittana on her team, and after informing Sugar that she’d be nothing more than a near-silent backup singer, the ladies and their mentor (Shelby) dubbed the troupe The Troubletones and performed a sassy, saucy take on “Candyman.”

Meanwhile, Finn found all of his worst insecurities activated by Blaine’s presence in the choir room; Burt decided to run for Congress against the arts-hating cuckoo clock named Sue; and Brittana held hands under a napkin at Breadstix. Plus, Finn called Brittany an “idiot” for believing in Rory’s wish-granting powers, but later apologized and tried to forge a friendlier vibe between New Directions and Shelby’s rival troupe. Plus, Finn recruited lonely Rory to join New Directions.

And finally, we had Quinn plotting to get Child Protective Services to return the baby she gave up for adoption by planting items in Shelby’s home (including a book titled Basics of Baby Sacrifice — as if!) that in only the most far-fetched scenarios might lead to a change in custody. Then again, maybe Quinn should’ve rigged Shelby’s house with a hidden camera, seeing how Shelby and underage Puck ended up in a lip-lock right before the credits rolled. (Again, gross.) Here’s hoping by next week, Glee’s writers will have maneuvered themselves out of that deeply disconcerting corner. And that’s what you missed on Glee.

Before we get on to the night’s best dialogue and grades for the musical performances, a few random thoughts: Would Burt and Carole really be so openly ambivalent about Finn’s future? Is there any way a character like Shelby would cross such a moral line with a teenager — even if Puck kind of does look like he’s 35? And would onetime anti-bullying advocate Santana casually act as if Rory’s suicide would be a welcome event? “Do this whole school a favor and just disappear,” Santana hissed at Rory. None of these character arcs really make sense to me. But I guess there’s no law saying they have to.

Now, with that out of the way, let’s run through a couple of the episode’s memorable bits of dialogue.

* Sue describing West Side Story as a a musical about race that promotes gang violence
and yet “still seems extraordinarily gay.”

* Brittany revealing her regimen to try to turn her cat’s digestive tract into a confections shop: “Every night I feed Lord Tubbington nougat and sprinkles, then rub his belly with glitter sticks.”

* “Lord Tubbington’s poops are crispy and delicious.” –Brittany, after discovering the candy bars planted in the family cat’s littler box

* Santana calling Finn a “bacon-wrapped bug-eyed hypocrite,” and a “double-stuffed, fatty, gassy, McGravypants.”

And with that, let’s assign some grades for the week’s musical numbers…

“It’s Not Easy Being Green,” Rory
Rory sounded heartfelt enough on this classic Muppets ballad, but I wish the whole sequence had been shot with a fresher eye than the one that had the new kid on the block strolling sad-sack-like through the cafeteria and sitting alone on the bleachers.
Musical grade: B Relevance to the plot: B

“Last Friday Night,” Blaine
As much as I love-love-loved Blaine’s “Teenage Dream,” I equally disliked the former Warblers frontman getting Auto-Tuned into submission on a lesser Katy Perry hit. Darren Criss is better than this song. Musical grade: D Relevance to the plot: C-

“Waiting for a Girl Like You,” Puck
Sweet: Puck singing this to Beth. Not so sweet: Puck singing this to Shelby.
Musical grade: B+ Relevance to the plot: B

“Candyman,” Mercedes and the Troubletones
Let me state for the record that I do not — and never will — endorse this “rival show choirs” plot device, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t love seeing Mercedes, Santana, and Brittany in their blue retro suits absolutely soaring on “Candyman.” (Nice choice for the day after Halloween, Ryan Murphy!)
Musical grade: A Relevance to the plot: A-

“Take Care of Yourself,” Rory
I can’t lie, this number made me feel a little drowsy, although Damian’s falsetto was pretty. I guess. Um, zzzzzz.
Musical grade: B- Relevance to the plot: B-

What did you think of this week’s Glee? Which plot points made you happy, and which had you looking for a rewrite? What was your favorite musical number? Take our poll below, then hit the comments and argue your points. And for all my Glee recaps and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. party girl says:

It was a very Glee episode. The characters we love do stupid things so fans will turn on them and then in a few weeks they will redeem themselves and they will be loved all over again.

New guy was fine. His acting is uneven but its his first gig and I’m feeling a bit charitable and just to be a contrarian I think he breathed NEW Life into the show. Its getting stale and tired and the actors are looking too old. Next to someone who is actually a teen-ager the rest of them are starting to look a bit creepy.

2. Robby says:

Take Care of Yourself is a great Teddy Thompson song from his latest album “Bella” Damian did a decent job, but the original is a knockout…sorry the song made you sleepy, Slezak

3. Snsetblaze says:

I generally like the show but realized when I saw it on the tivo when I got home that I did not miss it the weeks it was off. I am having problems suspending my belief because of some of the stupid things that the producers put in or fail to put in the show. Its one thing to just ignore the magically appearing piano player, dancers and musicians and the fact that they all immediately know every word to songs and choreography as well, without really working for it, but some of the other storyline idiocyncracies are hard to swallow. And there are more and more of them. I’m starting to get more annoyed with the show and I enjoy it less and less because of that.

I did like Rory overall. The constant smiling was a little much. Plus wearing green in every scene? Sort of ridiculous. I love Lord Tubbington – but the pooping thing was too much. And eating the candy after it had been in the litter box — eeew. Plus wouldn’t the litterbox be somewhere else in the house – not in Brittany’s bedroom?

I love the Burt Hummel storyline. He’s almost become my favorite character. I loved the way he looked at Sue as she was “bullying” him – like he could not wait to start laughing. Just for that, he deserves another Emmy nod. And Sue’s finally met her match. Shue was always just too nice and trying to act like a professional (though not always succeeding). Burt doesn’t have to take her garbage — in some ways Will does and has to because the guy in charge does not back him up. It always amazes me that Figgins is still in charge – I could never see a school district putting him in charge in the first place. Worst school principal ever. And him siding with Sue most of the time would probably cost the school more money through lawsuits than the money he saves by letting her have her way.

And the mother that threw a rock at Figgins – that was not funny (although her standing there with a sign was). The difference – one was entirely illegal – the other wasn’t – shouldn’t she have been arrested for at least – assault?

I was also wondering when the writers were going to bring up election law. As soon as I saw her on the news show after she announced her candidacy several episodes ag, I started to think – isn’t the tv station required to give all nine of her(at the time) opponents equal time and wouldn’t the owners know this? The anchors would have. And was Burt the only one of all the candidates who questioned the TV station [we never saw that he did but he did look up election law so it can be presumed that he did]? It would have been funny to see some of the nine if they were crackpots.

As far as Finn taking over the tire shop, there is no reason he can’t go to college and work in the shop concurrently. Plenty of people do it. Unlike Kurt, Tina, Rachel, Mike, Artie, Blaine (and possibly Quinn and Mercedes), Finn never hit me as a particularly good student gradewise which would make it tougher to get into a good college. And don’t you actually have to be really good at football to get a scholarship? There’s been no indication that Finn’s been anything more than average at the sport despite being team captain and despite the great Coach Beiste (doesn’t the team always lose)? There are community colleges. He’ll need the business classes. He can go part-time or at night

Will Shuster refering to himself as an Arts teacher was wierd. Wasn’t he the Spanish teacher? I thought New Directions was an after-school activity (and I could never figure out why he gave them “assignments” as he could not grade them) that the students did not get credit for (and thus could quit at every whim). But perhaps he teaches music and Spanish.

The Quinn/Shelby/Puck storyline is disgusting and the kiss was gross (although I don’t mind Puck liking “cougars” in general – just not Shelby). I understand that Quinn is troubled but she did give the kid up. Plus, what she doesn’t understand is that she won’t get the baby back in two weeks no matter what – whether Shelby is caught because of what she planted or because of a relationship with Puck. Child Services would take it and put it in a foster home or some kind of facility or a new adoptive family … and she’d likely have to be at least interviewed by child services or go to court for any chance at getting it back. It would be an uphill battle for her. More than likely, she’d have to prove she was fit (physically, mentally and financially) to take care of the child. She’d have to pay a lawyer. Plus she assumes Child Protective Services would look through the bookcase and kitchen cabinets in the first place. And once Shelby indicates to child services or her own attorney that Quinn had access to the apartment … it just looks too fishy.

As far as the rival show choir, how did it go from four to seven or eight people (the background dancers?) Mercedes commenting about how the powers that be shoud just hand the Troubletones the trophy for sectionals – wasn’t it established in the first season that 12 students (all of them singing) were needed for a show choir to even compete at all? Right now they are nine short (unless you count Sugar’s “singing”, then eight). Wasn’t that a plot point in season 1 – Sue was always tring to get New Directions disqualified by stealing a student so that it did not have enough students. Neither show choir has enough students to compete at this point. New Directions only has 10 (four guys who are strong singers (Kurt, Blaine, Artie and Puck) two ok singers (Mike and Finn), one who seems to be good but is still new (Rory), one really strong girl (Rachel), one okay-voiced (Tina) and one mediocre girl (Quinn)). If Sam and Zises come back, New Directions has enough but Troubletones does not.

Wow more bugged me than I initially thought.

• Canna says:

Have a couple of questions I need answers for: what happened to the Sam/Mercedes hookup at the end of last season? I know that Chord is coming back, but they haven’t said anything about where he is at OR Zicees or Dave. How can they just leave them hanging out there in the wind?

• kimberly wilson says:

1. quinn does have good grades she once said she was the most popular and had all a’s.

2. ummm the football does win games..where do you get your info from..if you have forgotten they won the championships last season.
      im done

4. beegeethree says:

I think I may be done with this show. I thought this seasons the writers said that they would be focusing on the core characters and getting back to basics. I guess basics for Glee is completely destroying all the characters and continuing to make them do things that make them all irredeemable. I mean, seriously. Why is Rachel still running for class president … doesn’t that sort of fly in the face of the sweet friendship she sort of started to develop with Kurt? WHAT POINT DOES THIS SERVE? And why are there THREE Glee kids running for president? Doesn’t everyone hate them?

I missed the kiss between Shelby and Puck, thank god. I must’ve still been ranting about that stupid Katy Perry song. Call me old-fashioned (though I’m not), but I don’t want to see a teacher make out with a student who just happens to be the father of her adopted baby! I also don’t want to see teenagers plant things in said mother’s house to get her wrongfully accused of child abuse! Like who thought up these lame-ass, morally repugnant storylines? Glee is over the top but come on, people.

And honestly, this whole rival Glee club crap is insane.

Here’s a storyline that would be good. Get Rachel to therapy for being a horrible person. Send Quinn to a penitentiary for the criminally insane. Break up Blaine and Kurt because they are increasingly ridiculous, too. And just make Santana the star of the show because she’s the only one who holds my interest. And do more fun Broadway, less current pop hits. Oh, and bring back Gwyneth, but not the Gwyneth from her last appearance because that was, unfortunately, a miss.

5. Jorge Jose Herrera says:

Quinn- Dianna Agron is too talented for this bull crap of a story. She needs to leave and join a cast that will actually showcase what a true actress she is. This taking back her baby plot is despicable and disgusting.
    Puck- Really? That’s all I have to say. Disgusting. That too.
    Mike and Tina- Did they have any lines this episode?
    Blaine- Stop being so perfect, it’s more annoying than sweet.
    Thanks heavens for Santana and Mercedes saving this episode for me.

6. JmanPHX says:

Has anyone else noticed that the majority of evil characters on this show are women? Santana’s bitchiness, Mercedes has been on the verge of going full diva forever and sometimes does, Rachel’s selfishness and full on diva attitude, Sue’s constant hatred of pretty much everything, and Quinn’s manipulative attempts throughout the show to get what she wants. Granted there are some nice ones… Coach Bieste, Emma, Tina, etc… but it seems the show is trying the “girls are evil” theme. I mean… how many of the guys have been as hated as the girls have become at various times during the show’s run? Really only the school bullies and they aren’t as central to the plot as the other others listed above.

7. Jenny says:

So agree that Cory is underrated as an actor. So nice to see that we have some Finn this episode and the next one. Like the whole idea of him being threatened by Blaine but this time taking charge of being a leader. Also liked him confronting Brittany about leaving. Sure he went a step too far but then apologized. Yet there are many mad at him because he was mean to Brittany but I actually think what Santana is doing is worse. I actually feel like she is manipulating Brittany because Brittany is naive.

8. BoyHips says:

I’m so irritated with Mercedes, Brittany and Santana.
    Let Mercedes go. She’s a bigger diva than anyone else. “I won’t do it if I have to share the lead.” Really? Good riddance.
    Also, why is it when Finn calls Brit an idiot it’s “mean, bullying and she won’t accept it”, yet, her girlfriend can call him “double-stuffed-fatty-gassy-McGravy pants” and a “bacon-wrapped-bugeyed hypocrite” and she stands there, forgive me, like an idiot and says nothing? So, the bullying that Santana does is ok because it’s sassy and not directed towards her? I’m calling BS on that one.
    Finally, Brittany is absolutely ridiculous. Leprechauns? Unicorns? Cats pooping candy bars? Some of her old lines are classic, but the bigger her character gets, the more unbelievable her dialogue gets. It’s not funny anymore, it’s just sad and kind of desperate.
    I love Glee, but I hate what they’re doing to some of the characters.

9. Kristin says:

I can’t feel bad for Shelby at all. She puts all her love/dedication to Beth, when she could be also bonding with Rachel (her own flesh and blood).

Plus, I guess Will should hand over his Pedo crown to her. That is some Mary Kay crap that is creepy and gross. She is willingly making out with the same kid that made out with her daughter.

Now Quinn, you can tell this girl is broken. Seeing her think that she’ll basically become a Lima Loser is disheartening.

10. karenb says:

Has Artie had one line this season?!

11. Linderella says:

When Glee got the politically correct memo – re bullying and gay-bashing – they must have missed page 2 – teachers are not supposed to be kissing students. Now given Puck’s difficulties with school rules, he probably missed the social promotion bus and is well over 18 (the character, not the actor), they get some forgiveness. However, don’t they read the news in GleeLand? Teachers assaulting students is inappropriate and illegal. Stop this stupid storyline and find Shelly a real man.

As for Quinn, she’s like one step away from Crazy. Get her some help or transfer her to a school for wayward teens. She’s nuts.

The posters who say Santana needs remedial education about not bullying are spot on. I for one found the green wardrobe for Rory the Muppet was a clever device and I actually liked the Muppets song. Rory was trying to win Brittany’s affection and hooked on her incredible and simple world view. My only complain was his hair looked like he stole it off the Bobby Darin at Trussaud’s Wax Museum in Dublin. Yuck.

As for Blaine – if you’re going to lip sync it helps to have your mouth match the lyric.

Loved the anti-Sue from Burt. Sue got old last season.

For those who wonder about Finn’s clueless look, my son had the same look in high school and he has an IQ of140. Go figure. It’s the hormones. Teenagers generally have three looks (1) clueless, (2) snarky, and (3) smarter-than-all-the-adults-on-the-planet. Clueless works.

As for Glee, I’m glad they’re back. I kind of enjoyed a Rachel-less week. Loved the Troubletones with the exception that the talents of Vanessa Lengies are wasted. Why hire her if she’s going to have nothing to do? Unfortunately I can only stand Mercedes when she’s singing…but the singing is awesome.

• yep says:

Yep Brittany has been endearing until she showed some sassiness toward Finn when he brought out her illogical reason to her believing in magical creatures. Before Brittany has had some of the most hysterical lines 1 liners in Glee history. But since Glee christmas episode s2 her character has regressed to being too idiotic so Finn says so then immediatelly regrets his comment and he’s the douchebag. Santana has been 1 of my favs til this episode. I realize Sue and Santana are the resident beotches and they suit the b word well. But Santana’s snarkiness was just evil and uncalled for toward Rory and Finn. So sad for my feelings about Tana on this 1.

• BlueSkyCrying says:

@Linderella:
      Funny you should mention Bobby Darin because I think that is the exact kind of music Damian excels at. =)
      I really was rooting for him (as well as Cameron, who sadly took himself off) to win Glee Project, but I’m not sure I’m enjoying the plot they’ve written for him. It was really weird and sudden how he was all of a sudden there, this foreign exchange student that had never been mentioned before, and he seemed to exist only to further the agendas they had for Brittany’s and Santana’s storylines. What a shame, he is such a cutie.
      And he can really hit those high notes! Surprised me.

12. Gleeeeek says:

I thought it was good. Glad to see cory showing he is one of the best on the show. Sanatana is a b word, but I just can’t hate her. Same with Mercedes. I love her too. Quinn just needs help, but I still love her as well. I hate Kurt and Blaine. Kurt is the worst character on tv. His story is nothing but making you feel sorry for him and him being a victim, and that is truly annoying. Blaines I don’t have a flaw and I am always a nice guy attitude is even more annoying. Klaine guys are perfect and don’t have a flaw and are always the ones being wronged. Give me a break. I hate them both. Shelby, haha I don’t man. Spend time with her daughter cause homegirl is crazy. Even though rachel is my favorite. I enjoyed it, and will continue to say that finn is the most normal on this show, especially compared to his insane girlfriend. He is a real character that has lots of flaws, but is still trying to be a good guy. Blaine is not a real character yet, he is just a brick wall. I love all of the characters with the exception of the perfect can do no harm klaine. That is quite annoying.

13. B says:

Rory Flannigan! Welcome to GLEE..you’re a great addition mate!

• LisaLisa says:

It was great to see him again, after faithfully watching Glee Project. Can’t wait to see Sam and what they’ll do for a storyline for him as well.

14. jj says:

only good thing about this episide was brittana

15. Matt Blum says:

Puck isn’t underage. The age of consent in Ohio is 16, which makes a relationship between him and Shelby perfectly legal. That doesn’t mean it’s a good idea, of course, either in the show’s world or for the show’s success in the real world.

16. j says:

Needs More Rachel Berry.

17. I Heart Slezak says:

I didn’t watch Glee Project, and I had no idea that the kid playing Rory was one of the winners, but I thought he was absolutely adorable. Loved his voice, too.

But am I just getting old and hard of hearing, or are a lot of these actors getting a serious case of the mushmouth? I often have a hard time understanding Qunn through her nasal monotone, but it also was often difficult to make out anything Brittany was saying (it took four tries to understand the feeding Lord Tubbington line). I am about to just give up and turn on closed captioning.

18. Justin says:

Santana is one of my favorite characters on TV. But when she told Rory “Do the whole school a favor and just disappear” that was harsh. If this were any other show besides Glee. The kid probably would have killed himself after being bullied the whole episode then being told to make himself disappear. Usually Santana bully tactics are for laughs. This was not funny at all.

19. Karen says:

I might be a very disturbing person for saying this, but I absolutely loved that Shelby and Puck ended up locking lips last night. I have rarely been this exited about a build up to a kiss.

I loved the introduction of Rory, and I’m really hoping for some more Rachel/Blaine duets. Because even though the other kids are complaining about these two getting the spotlight, they’ve only had one duet together in the middle of season 2 (which was AWESOME!). Besides the auto-tune I really loved ‘Last Friday Night’. It was so fun, and great to see (almost) all of the glee members having fun with this.
    Also, can we get a little spotlight on Artie, and give Kevin McHale some spotlight, puurr-lease!

20. Erin says:

I used to like Quinn, but this season when she turned all “bad” I don’t like her as much. I absolutely love Finchel and Klaine. I’m disappointed that they made Santana awful. She was really mean before but some of the stuff she said was horrible. She’s basically implying that Rory should kill himself. I love Rory! Damian sings beautifully. Bein’ Green was very revelant to the plot, he was saying how it was difficult being Irish and trying to fit in. Glee has turned nasty and I’m actually a little disappointed in the show. The idea of The Troubletones has screwed up Glee and the New Directions. The Glee cast members have turned nasty, and the show feels really negative. It was supposed to be about positivy and overcoming obstacles but now, I’m not so sure.

21. Amber says:

I give this whole episode an F, though I did dig the whole retro USO number with the girls, I kinda liked the last number, and I can’t help but swoon every time I hear an Irish accent, and they had that one great line (which maybe is the best of the whole season so far) “Say it! Say U2 is overrated!” (Take that, my ex-bf with his whole bizarre U2 obsession). I also kinda think Shelby and Puck have some good chemistry. I just can’t buy into the whole “but he’s a teenager!” thing. He does indeed look 35 and I just see him as some remedial student who’s already failed his senior year, like…5 times already. So on second thought, I will upgrade the episode to a D-. But I still hold no hope for this show anymore and watch out of boredom more than anything else. I used to get the DTs when they would go on break and I would always watch it first when I got home from work at nights and would be so excited to see it, and now it’s like…what else can I watch before starting Glee? Daily Show? Colbert Report? Conan? The news? Why yes, I think I will.

22. T says:

Plots I like: Burt taking on Sue, Anything with Damian McGinty.
    Plots I hate: Everything else. The Quinn/Puck/Shelby plot is tired and crazy, the 2nd Glee Club plot infuriates me, and Brittany is so blind to see that Santana bullies everyone.

Asian F was so good, but it seems like Glee has gone back to the shallow side. Somehow the majority of their characters have all become unlikeable and inconsistent.

Check out my other thoughts here: http://rantsofacrazyperson.wordpress.com/2011/11/02/glee-review-pot-o-gold/

23. Dexter Q says:

Damian McGinty’s rendition of Bein’ Green is brilliant. My new favorite version of the song.

24. Cleo777 says:

I think it’s hilarious that some of these actors actually have musical names…Chord…Melody…LOL!!!

25. aperson says:

I loved the first season, was ambivalent about the second, and started to take interest again during the third. BUT the adoption storyline is the worst. At first i was very excited (and nervous) about the OPEN adoption plot line. Please, please: writers and producers, consult with real birth mothers and birth fathers and adoptive parents about successful open adoptions. It’s tricky enough in reality, this show makes everyone involved with the adoption story arc just seem sick. Oh and Brittany ate cat crap? Done.

26. lastberry says:

The best line of the episode
    Rachel: No, you can’t cancel my musical, I was considering changing my name to Maria! (hides behind Finns arm)

27. Gleek! says:

Okay,I’m just gonna lay it down-

Puck and Shelby-I understand the emotions incorpirated but still..ew, just ew.(btw- how awks would it be if *god forbid* they were married. Puck would be Rachel’s like, step, half dad or whatever
    Quinn- Meh. Nothing new really.
    That Irish Dude-Too soon to judge anything. All the characters have had bad songs so show a little patience.
    The T.T and N.D Split-*Sad Face* No idea where the writers are planning to take this.
    Britney-…….She was never really an important character, but in my opinion is a great laugh

Cant wait 4 da nxt episode!!!;)

28. kimberly wilson says:

to the writer…if you didnt apparently notice this is SENIOR YEAR for most of the glee club members…noting that MOST OF THEM are 18…so the kiss btw Puck and Shelby is definetely legal.