Ratings: Once Upon a Time Steady, Pan Am Up, Allen Gregory Gets Low Grades

ABC’s Once Upon a Time continued to work its magic this Sunday, delivering 11.64 million total viewers with its second episode while scoring a 3.9 rating (down just 4 percent in the demo from its series debut).

In turn, Desperate Housewives upticked a bit (to 9.3 mil/3.0) and even Pan Am (5.6 mil/1.9) gained 6 percent in the demo.

Elsewhere for the night:

* The Simpsons‘ annual “Treehouse of Horror” (8 mil/4.0) served up a ratings treat, gaining 33 percent from the show’s last fresh outing and marking its best demo since Jan. 9. New lead-out Allen Gregory, though, dismissed 40 percent of that audience in its debut.

* NBC’s Sunday Night Football (20.2 mil/8.2) surged some 60 percent from last week’s blowout.

* CBS’ numbers are scrambled for now, due to delayed starts, but my best guesstimation shows that Amazing Race was up a bit, The Good Wife was flat (meaning it matched a season-low demo), and CSI: Miami dipped a little.

Because someone will always ask: “Cable ratings come in much, much later.”

What were you watching this Sunday?

1. Arielle says:

“Allen Gregory” was beyond awful..wow..just wow..

2. xav says:

CBS is trying their hardest to kill The Good Wife.

3. kevin says:

ALLEN GREGORY is becoming an “animation failure” for FOX and BOOOOO on its Animation Domination but Once Upon a Time is still looking great and hope ABC picks up for a full season and PAN AM has some life left but its ratings still garnered almost 6 million viewers and probably won’t make it until midseason and may join CHARLIE’S ANGELS and PLAYBOY CLUB in the cancellation club.

4. Carolyn says:

The Good Wife is my favorite show, but I am ready to switch back to Desperate Housewives. I know, I know. CBS says to set the DVR for two hours, but that means giving up the possibility of DVRing two other shows.

CBS, are you trying to kill this wonderful show?

• lil jo says:

You always have CBS.com or CBS on demand. I believe they are putting it on On Demand the same day because of football and knowing many will miss some of it.

• carolyn says:

Cablevisiob in NY does not have CBS on demand. Just ABC, NBC and Fox. Because of the crazy scheduling Amazing Race and Good Wife are no longer on my viewing schedule

• Tania says:

That’s how I get to watch The Good Wife by way of CBS on Demand. Do those ratings count?

• Doug-H says:

The Good Wife was available at midnight on CBS On Demand… I’m not bothering to DVR that show now since it’s available that way and CBS On Demand is viewer friendly ( very short breaks)… CBS On Demand is available on Comcast and Time Warner.. I guess not Cablevision so those folks are out of luck…

• Denise says:

EXACTLY! I can’t spare 2 hours for The Good Wife. My dvr is on overload on Sundays and I already ditched DH because of their move. Now they want me to ditch something else, greedy.

5. JLCOLLINS says:

I watched the first 10 minutes of Allen Gregory and was just flabbergasted at how awful it was.

6. Che says:

The stupid game got TGW to start super late again and I missed the first half hour of Pan Am, but I’m glad to see that its recovering, now that i’m six episodes in, and intrested in the characters, I would hate for it get axed.

7. Franklin says:

I am so upset w/ CBS for moving The Good Wife to Sundays. Clearly, it’s “season low” ratings are due to the obnoxious and egotistical CBS bosses who thought The Good Wife would kick b oot y on a Sunday night. The show misses a ton of viewers because the show doesn’t even start at its scheduled hour half the time because of football going over time. Clearly the move was a big blow in the face. CBS, shame on you.

8. Alicia says:

CBS… what. what. WHAT are you doing?? Slowly strangling your best program with a death slot on Sundays while giving Totally Forgettable it’s place on Tuesday? Of all the bullsh-ttery… it’s almost as if you don’t have a f-cking clue. And that weak-ass “set your DVRs for TWO hours” PSA won’t fix sh-t. Give The Good Wife it’s original time slot back, cuz I got your number, hussy. Seriously, I saved it after last summer’s fiasco with CM. Do I need to start leaving Nina Tassler voicemails again?

• Peter says:

You go girl… I say start calling today and don’t stop until the show is moved.

• Ace says:

Feel better after that hissy fit? Becuase trust me, your complaints will fall on deaf ears at CBS. Why? Becuase Unforgetable is doing far better in the coveted 18-49 adult viewership demo then The Good Wife. TV is a business…and it all comes down to prime viewership for advertsing money. You are lucky The Good Wife even remains on the air with it’s very low 18-49 demo.

• Alicia says:

“Becuase trust me, your complaints will fall on deaf ears at CBS.”
        I’d find that more believable if complaining hadn’t already gotten CBS to rehire two fired actresses from CM which, you know, cost money.

• dan says:

To their credit, CBS is the network that listened to fans and brought back “Cagney & Lacey” (granted that was about 25 years ago) and that other show with Skeet Ulrich a few years ago. It also brought JAG over from NBC after it was can’d and it lasted another 8 or 9 years. This year they started running a crawl at the bottom of the screen on Sunday evenings to advise the start time for TAR, Good Wife and CSI: Miami. A football overun actually helps the ratings (especially for 60 Minutes and TAR) because viewers don’t change the channel so don’t look for things to change especially if Unforgettable continues to do better in Good Wife’s old slot.

9. CD says:

I watched the whole episode of Allen Gregory and it was bad and I usually dont say that about shows at all. I say bring bad Bob’s Burgers asap.

10. Ingmar says:

I don’t think The Good Wife is in real danger. It seemed steady and I guess the final rating will be a 2.1, which is up from last week. As long as it stays around the 2.0-2.5 it will be save. The thing is…CBS isnt trying to kill it. It is trying to find a spot where it doesnt lose to many viewers or maybe gain a few. Problem is, that no matter where you place it the average viewership is the same. Last season they were around the 2.0 aswell and that was on a tuesday with a way better lead-in ( NCIS + NCIS LA ). The awards and prestige sure can’t hurt. I think there will be a 4th season which will be moved to fridays or stay on the sunday, and they make it the final season for syndication.

• Alicia says:

“I don’t think The Good Wife is in real danger…I think there will be a 4th season…and they make it the final season for syndication.”

O___O GURL… that’s what I call danger.

Only 4 seasons of flawlessness is not enough. Moreover, last year The Defenders averaged 2.2 in the demos and about 10 million viewers overall and was still canceled. Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior averaged 2.7 and 10 overall as well and yet it was canceled too.* Not accounting for quality or taste, those shows were doing well by network standards (except for CBS’s, apparently) and could have lived to see another season. TGW is down a couple million viewers from last year and settling at 2.1 isn’t going to cut it.
      It’s definitely in danger, especially considering CBS’s track record of terrible decision making.

*would provide a link to info source but then this comment would be deleted ;)

• Rebecca says:

Keep in mind that CM: SB and The Defenders were in their FIRST year, nowhere near syndication, very unlike The Good Wife. Now, I don’t believe that Good Wife is necessarily safe, and I don’t care if it gets cancelled, but I think it is clearly in better position than those two other shows were.

• howie says:

Keep in mind those shows blew!

• Holly says:

Good Wife should be safe, I agree. It’s the 3rd season and CBS will want to make it to syndication. And let’s be honest — CBS, while kicking butt in total viewers, has serious issues w/ gaining critical acclaim or awards nominations/wins. The network might keep the show around simply for that reason. Aside from Amazing Race, and possibly a few comedies, nothing else is even in contention for a nomination. That’s the difference between it and The Defenders.

• dan says:

Your logic doesn’t hold up after this year’s Emmy Awards: Along with TAR for best competitive reality show (it has won every year the category has existed excepted one), Jim Parson’s won his second Emmy for BBT, Melissa McCarthy won her first for M&M, and Julianna Marguiles won for GW (and one of the female co-stars won best supporting actress last year). CBS does rely on procedurals which don’t garner a lot of Emmy awards, but you can’t say “nothing else” is in contention when they’ve done pretty well lately.

• dan says:

Forgot to mention: Jeff Probst has won the best host Emmy for Survivor every year that category has existed. Another CBS show.

11. jen says:

I’m absolutely loving OUAT! Glad to see it’s holding up. I do think TGW is being hurt on Sundays. CBS should move it back to Tuesday and move Unforgettable to Sunday; it’s a better fit with CSI:Miami anyway. I use to watch TAR, but the time delays were too frustrating to deal with.

12. Shari says:

Loving Pan Am!!! Has so much potential – please ABC give this show a rel chance (in another time slot!)

OUAT is fantastic – love it so much!

13. Lisa says:

I watched some of Allen Gregory but couldn’t finish it. It was terrible.

14. Matt says:

The Good Wife got a 2.0, one episode last year got a 1.9

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yep, meant to say “season-low.” Fixed.

• Alicia says:

Wondering where you get your numbers because I’m seeing TGW reported elsewhere at 10.12 mil/2.3 demo. Not that those will save it from the chopping block…

• @Alicia says:

The 2,3/10,12 contains the ratings from Amazing Race from 9 to 9.30 and The Good Wife numbers from 9.30 to 10 which we btw don`t know yet. CSI Miami and TGW had together a 2,0 demo.
          I have read Amazing Race overall numbers from 8.30-9.3O were about 2,9 and 10.94mio viewers. So we can do more or less the math. I would say it will get a 1,9 or with some luck a 2,0 rating :(

15. qwerty says:

OUAT is awful!!!Honestly don’t see what the buzz is all about…

• Holly says:

I think, much as the TV Line review said about the show pre-fall season, it’s one of those shows you either “get” and just love, or you don’t get it at all and think it’s awful, or at least nothing special.

• Gretchen says:

I finally watched the pilot last night–it was entertaining, moments of cheesy-ness, but overall OK. I’d give it a 6 out of 10.

• Michael says:

I agree. It´s like a bad soap. Everything seems forced, predictable and convenient. And i´m not feeling the girl who plays the lead at all. Is she lying about her age? Because there is no way she can be a 28 years old.

• Kitty says:

OUAT is the only good, original show this fall. It’s like a breath of fresh air, to see something that isn’t a cookie cutter show, yet another police procedural, and/or a bad copy of other shows (I’m looking at you, Grimm!) I’m glad to see it doing so well in the ratings.

16. Tusk says:

I don’t get what about Allen Gregory was the slightest bit funny, that would convince ANYONE to put the amount of advertising and money behind it that fox did. At no time was that piece of comedic sewage funny, smart or entertaining……

17. Gavin says:

Everyone complaining about The Good Wife being on Sunday seem to forget that it was getting very low ratings where it was last year. If they were trying to kill it as you say all they would have to do is leave it where it was. You’re lucky they didn’t cancel it last year.

18. fernando says:

Happy to hear Pan Am is going up a little but 5 million is still not alot, we need at least 7 million for three weeks in a row for ABC to want to keep it, I still think ABC is not being smart, instead of burning the Charlie’s Angels ep. just move Pan Am to thursday and put a show from mid season on sundays at 10/9 pm maybe GCB

19. Denise says:

Just got around to watching the pilot for Once Upon A Time and found myself with a happy grin when the clock moved. Hooked.

20. Pia says:

No late starts on the Best Coast!

• East Coast says:

I have a hard time agreeing with if you mean the Best Coast by the one with all the earthquakes, wildfires, and mudslides.

• Pia says:

Yeah but the power doesn’t get knocked out for days from a little snow.

• East Coast says:

Oh honey, you westcoasters would have a panic attack if you saw so much as a little flurry.

• Pia says:

And yet, we are world-renowned for our skiing. Sorry, try again.

• East Coast says:

I’m sorry Pia, based on your ego I assumed you were a spoiled Southern California brat like you assumed that I, personally, was affected by the snow up north. In case you didn’t realize, it takes having electricity to surf the internet whether on a cell phone or a computer and after 2-3 days both would probably be out of power and need to be, and even if I were affected by the power outage I wouldn’t be wasting what precious little battery I had on entertainment websites, so you probably should have considered that before you made your comment about the electricity outage. And also most people generally don’t care about skiing as a sport unless it is an Olympic year.

• East Coast says:

And if you were referring to ski resorts, the middle of the country has that covered with Vail, Colorado and Sun Valley, Idaho; neither o.

• East Coast says:

Neither of which are on your coast either, despite being closer.

• Pia says:

I make one light-hearted comment and three oversensitive Easterners jump all over me with insulting personal remarks. I am not the one with an ego here.

• lilkunta(to pia) says:

pia : there arent late starts on the west coast bc the networks know that since all that cali sun has fried you all’s brains, you wont know how to set dvr for 2 hours or understand that shows begin after the football game.

east is BEAST!

• east coaster says:

guys, don’t spoil Pia’s delusion. we WANT the west coasters to keeping thinking their coast is best (if they ever realized how truly inferior it is, there’d be a mass emigration from west to east… and then our superior coast would be sullied by west coasters. we can’t have that.)

• Pia says:

Ladies and gentleman, the New England ego.

• east coaster says:

lols. it’s cute that you think that “east coast” means new england.

• Pia says:

You probably think I surf.

• east coaster says:

YOU MEAN YOU DON’T???? haha no, don’t worry Pia, i was just trolling. but all this fact-quoting and logic is killing the joke. Y SO SERIOUS, GUYS? logic has no place on the interwebs….. i actually like west coasters. and middle-coasters. and non-coasters (feel sad for them. they have no coast). and i even like those pesky non-contiguous states (shout out to hawaii and alaska!)….. so enough with this nonsense. let’s get back to talking about the REALLY SERIOUS STUFF, like what was on TV last night.

21. Nero TheTVFiddler says:

I also tried to watch Allen Gregory last night – I’m still shaking my head at how this show got on the air. I gotta hand it to FOX, when they hit a homerun [Simpsons, X-Files, AmerIdol, Arrested Dev, House, Glee] they produce game-changers; but when they miss, they miss very badly. I guess that’s the nature of the business – risk and reward. Allen Gregory was not ready for prime time viewing on Sunday night. Somebody at FOX let this show get through and spent a lot of money marketing/advertising this show. Really hard to understand, but people make mistakes. Learn and move on.

I’m assuming ABC will let Pan Am run through its 8-9 already ordered/filmed episodes, and that will probably be it. ABC will wait to see how the mid-season shows [GCBelles] fair in January/Feb before making any further decision on Pan Am and whether to extend the order – maybe complete filming of std. 13 episodes and that may be the end. Too bad – the show is improving, but probably costs more than the average show drawing 5.8 million viewers. Last night’s episode was a good one – a nice back-story for the C. Ricci/Maggie character. I was wondering when they were going to give her something more to do, and last night’s show explained quite a bit regarding how Maggie became a Pan Am stewardess. A nice episode for her – makes the casting of Ricci make more sense now as well. Maybe too late, but the show certainly tried to entertain and be different. I’ll remember it fondly if this is the end of the line for the series as it wraps up before the holiday re-run season.

22. Nero TheTVFiddler says:

An additional thought regarding Pan Am – there have been some reports/rumors that Pan Am may be ‘re-tooled’ [read - new showrunner/producer] for the second half of the 2011-12 season. I’m assuming if that were possible and could be done relatively quickly, then Pan Am might indeed get that ‘second-chance’ this spring and get the ‘back-order’ of 13 more episodes to complete the full season of approx 22 shows. They’ve got 8-9 ‘in the can’ already, and they could go with an order of 4 additional episodes to see if improvement is possible [to complete 13 episodes] and then a full order of ‘the back-9′ episodes to get them from (for example) March to May 2012 for a full 22 episode season.

That’s actually good news – the show would at least get a new life to complete the season, which might also get the series released via DVD next fall 2012/winter’13. ABC could ‘re-introduce’ the show at a new time and day in March 2012, and by then, ABC would also know how well mid-season shows like GCBelles are doing. A new showrunner is ‘hope’ that the show can continue and that ABC is trying its best to save it.

That’s the good news – there may also be some bad news. A new showrunner probably means one thing – cut the costs. New showrunners are normally an indication that the network ‘requires some changes’. They can’t keep the show going with 5.8 million viewers and not have the costs come down to meet advertisers expectations. Pan Am might even be a nice 9pm Friday night show, but the production costs would have to come down – a lot. What that would mean to the ‘look-feel’ of the show, as well as the number of cast and crew, is unknown at this point, but I would suggest we all ‘fasten our seat belts’ and expect some potentially harsh turbulence and changes to the show. That said, in my mind, it may be worth the risk – have ABC go all out to try to save this show and make it work. Worth taking the gamble with that new showrunner. Something is better than nothing at this point – keep the plane flying and hope time (and a new day and timeslot) this coming spring can save the show for a least a full season, if not beyond.

23. Julie says:

I’m still curious as to how this rating thing works. I mean I watch my shows on Canadian networks or the station (ex. when I watch Supernatural my channel is on CW but it’s the CHCH network that pops on the CW during the show). Last week I watched Once Upon a Time on ABC (CTV who airs the show in Canada doesn’t pop on ABC because the show is actually aired 2-3 hours before it is aired on ABC) but this week for the reason stated in the ( ) I watched the show on CTV (I wanted to see it earlier than on ABC because I wanted to watch The Simpsons). So yeah ABC «lost» me but the show didn’t really lose me since I watched it on CTV…
    But I can garantee you that after 2 minutes of Allen whatever FOX did actually lose this fan here…. blergh!

24. Gary S says:

Sunday night is loaded with good product. Too much. And the demographic targets are crazy. NFL soaking up all the males, while The Good Wife gets pushed all over the place, thanks to football over runs (by design). Pan Am could have legs, but it might have fared better by being on a Cable channel,like Mad Men. Speaking of Cable, HBO and SHO are adding to the confusion, by dumping first runs of two of their best shows, Boardwalk Empire and Homeland,, in the mix. I’m glad everyone is taking their best shot, but some good progammiing may get dumped because it got crowded ou, and couldn’t potentialize.