Fringe Bosses Tease Peter's Return: He's Now the Show's 'Focal Point'

The World Series is over, so viewers can finally welcome back Fringe — and, more importantly, Peter — this Friday (Fox, 9/8c).

In the following video interview, executive producers Jeff Pinkner and J.H. Wyman tee up Joshua Jackson’s long-awaited return and preview what’s to come.

Exclusive Fringe First Look Video: Has Peter Returned to Save the Day?

The key takeaway: Peter is now the “focal point” of the show, confirms Wyman, who adds, “He now takes a forefront position in the storytelling and how it’s going to unfold.”

As an added bonus, the EPs also touch upon on the Peter-is-an-Observor theory!

1. Brad says:

Friday can not come soon enough….again.

2. Shar says:

AWESOME!!!..and hopefully that PRbabe lady or what ever its called can shut up now.

3. Irishgirl says:

Oh…I saw that video on YouTube Friday. I do wish they’d release a new sneak peek clip.

• Dessy says:

I want more too, but how much more can they put? They wouldn’t want to spoil the whole episode.
      It’s only 4 days left!!

4. kay says:

I came here hoping for a new little tidbit about the rest of the season, the next episode, whatever. This was already on Youtube on Friday. :(

5. OMG says:

I am still kinda mad because i feel like this means the Past 3 seasons were useless and things are never going to be the same…. :(

• Katy says:

@omg i agree, thats the thing i’m most worrierd about! i love the idea that we’re seeing things through Peter’s point of view more and that he’s back (YAY!!!) but don’t want it to be that they’ll never remember, it’s just too sad and at the same time annoying. i have a feeling it will be heartwrenching to watch Peter, when all the people he loves don’t have a clue who he is, Joshua Jackson can pull at the toughest heartstrings, could always make me well up in Dawson’s!! But I’m hoping and praying that he will fugure it out eventually and be able to get the time line back on track, although i’m not too sure how that will work – as how will that affect these ‘new’ olivia/walter/broils etc -they have all these memories of things that have happened that won’t have if the timeline reverses again and – oh gosh i’m giving myself a headache! Sorry peeps! Just really don’t like the idea that the relationships that we’ve been rooting for and watchin develop over the past 3 years will be reduced to nothingness. But i guess you just gotta trust that the writers know what they’re doing……..right???? :?

• Carrie says:

Of course the last 3 seasons still count. Only specific things changed with Peter’s absence. Now he’s back and it seems that he still remembers everything the others have forgotten.

• Aaron says:

Wow it sucks that most Fringe fans are so frikkin annoying and picky…just sit back and enjoy the ride, jeez. I love this show

• KofTroy says:

It breaks my heart to see Peter as he and Olivia were really close. How many husbands and wives still sleep together holding hands after 15 + years together? They are entwined for whatever reason only to be broken by Walternate in the future as vengeance for Peter destroying everything he loved.

Walter tells Peter he can send him back in the machine, have Olivia back and fix everything. But they knew there would be a price to pay. But Peter wanted her back and now he has her back, she’s alive….exactly what he wanted. But she has no idea who he is, but eventually she will realize the hole can be filled by Peter. Peter or she will be affected by the time slips. The price ? He was sacrificed to create a bridge
        and peace between 2 worlds…which we are seeing did not work. But I kinda miss the Alt-Fringe team…Lincoln is much sexier over there. But I think he will start to get her like he does over there. No love triangle though!

Also it seemed Olivia grew up wealthy and privileged which can change someone, but not her relationship issues.

6. Sarah says:

All the people that hate Peter are mad about this…luckily I love Peter so I’m very happy. :D

• br says:

I was going to say I’d be surprised if Anto didn’t make one of her hateful comments about Josh Jackson and Peter and there he/she is!

• Annon says:

Yes, her post is below. However, she is ridiculous now. She must copy and paste to every site, because it is bascially the same post in other places too.

7. clpsampath says:

FINALLY! Yes, so excited. This is probably going to be the best storytelling this season.

8. Melody says:

I am so happy that baseball is over! Peter’s back and I’m so excited to see the drama unfold.

9. Karen says:

Gosh I love Fringe. I really, really hope the shows stays on the air for years to come, cause it’s got so much to tell, and so much more to give. It would be a waste if they ever cancelled the show (which I’m beginning to fear they soon will!)…. And thank God, Joshua Jackson is back. The show was literally not the same without him (hehe:)

10. ridiculous says:

Peter and Walter, Jackson and Noble have been centre in season 1 and 2, and the second half of season 3, from 3.11 it was about Peter and his choices, peter and the machine, etc.
    The only thing you did with a fantastic female character was brainwash Olivia, replace her and reduce her to a needy, insecure Petersgirl, and Fauxlivia pregnant, cliche.
    And turn Peter in the hero, the bridgebuilder, everything what Olivia was supposed to be.
    So Josh Jackson complaining in the media entire season 3 has resulted in this, every storyline has already been about or with Peter, Olivia has been completely isolated because of him, every storyline has been about him or with him, how many more do you want to make him special, important?

• Carrie says:

Whoa, what are you even talking about? Olivia was never reduced to some needy, insecure woman and Fauxlivia is no cliche. Olivia is extremely smart and capable, she’s very good at her job and a strong woman with a big heart. Also, Peter was always supposed to be the bridge. He didn’t take anything away from Olivia. They’re both important, and why can’t they both be heroes?

• Anon says:

Don’t worry about some of these posts. There is one or two Josh Jackson fans that go around and post made up negative stuff about Anna Torv and sometimes John Noble. They’ve struck before and I’m sure they will do it again. LOL!

• Moe says:

Please. This show has revolved around Anna Torv and the great Olivia Sue since mid season 1, and it’s never stopped. She’s a joke of a character and has been since then. But then she’s also played by a mediocre actress who can’t deliver with the material they give her, which is a shame, since she’s pretty much the center of the Fringe universe.

But I get it, you’re just channeling your fave’s true feelings, since Anna Torv has been nothing but gleeful and excited about Josh Jackson’s reduced role and about having Peter off screen. Never seen an actor show this much glee at her co star’s onscreen presence being reduced, so she doesn’t have to deal with someone better than her stealing some of her precious screentime. It must be KILLING her that Josh is back. I’m sure that the screenwriters who worship at her altar will make sure that Peter doesn’t get any real screentime or real story, and that Precious Olivia is the center of all things, forever and ever, amen.

What a joke.

• Liz says:

Wow what is going on with some of you. Did you ever consider that everyone needs each other. This is very much an ensemble show with different points of views and different characters. Stopping hating the show wouldn’t be the same without and Anna Torv or Josh Jackson.

• Tech says:

This cast has some serious acting chops. That’s all.

• Sam says:

“But I get it, you’re just channeling your fave’s true feelings, since Anna Torv has been nothing but gleeful and excited about Josh Jackson’s reduced role and about having Peter off screen.”

I was very disappointed in Anna Torv because of that. Still she has every right to dislike a working colleague as much as she wants. What gets me is that if Josh Jackson had been as enthusiastic, had her role been reduced, all hell would have been raised by some fans. See for instance how aggressive fans got, when he dared express some anti-PO opinions and compare that to how awesome they thought Anna Torv was, when she did the same recently. She has been so anti Olivia/Peter and pro Olivia/Lincoln… that fans have jumped ship and they are all for whatever floats Anna’s boat.

• Sn786 says:

I second that!

Actually, I had some issues trying to express this idea in a decent way, because it would seem as if I were attacking Anna Torv.
          But seriously, It always bugged me how fans respect (some of them almost worship) what Anna Torv has to say. I was so shocked when she said in some interviews that Peter caused pain to Olivia and that she wants her to date Lincoln now that He’s gone, what kind of lead actress says that about a lead character?? But people never complained about that, they went on shipping Lincoln and Olivia. on the other hand, I still remember the war that has started against Josh’s opinion about the PO relationship.
          I understand Anna’s a great actress as everyone would see her (Although I might disagree at some point judging by her performance as William Bell and of S4 so far) But it doesn’t have to include being blinded by their ideas/thoughts, they’re persons just like we are, and we don’t know them as persons, so…

11. Shayla says:

Love it,can’t wait for Friday…and no need to be mean folks,we’re better than that :)

12. Moe says:

I’ll believe it when it actually manifests on screen. They’ve said stuff like this before about how Peter is now important and will now get focus, and it’s always been a lot of hot air. So I’ll believe them when they FINALLY deliver ON screen.

We’ll see.

13. Liz says:

So people just don’t get it. It’s not that we are going to see Peter all the time or that every shot is about him. But every story line circles back to him. Every character action is directed to his character. I love this because essentially Peter is us (fans/Audience) he is sort of a third person character. He knows whats happening and what happened but doesnt know what’s going to happen.

14. br says:

Like Moe above, I’ll believe it when I see it on screen. These producers have a history of talking a lot about Peter, how important he is and how he is key to the story, but they’ve always failed to deliver. Sure they make him do things, sometimes heroic, sometimes stupid and sometimes baffling, but most of the time it ends up being about Walter and Olivia, their character development and their emotions, not about Peter and that’s incredibly disappointing and unfair to a main character.

Perhaps they have finally listened to the fans, who have been demanding character development and focus for him for 2 years now. Last year they responded by destroying him as thoroughly as they could: making him an idiot who couldn’t tell a fake from the woman he loved, killing shapeshifters for no reason whatsoever, etc. Maybe they have decided that after 3 seasons of neglect, it is time to feed the unloved child. The beginning of S4 couldn’t have been less promising, 3 episodes without him and 1 minute of screentime on the fourth one. They’ll have to walk the talk if they want me to take them seriously.

• sunday says:

And I didn’t miss him a bit; season four so far has proved to me that the characters that I care about are Walter and Olivia. I hope the writers don’t make the mistake of neglecting their SLs. The episodes that had Peter as the focus, for instance, Northwest Passage, were the least interesting. Let it be all about him, but let the real great characters of the show, Walter and Olivia, save the world.

• Sam says:

I missed him a lot. The first 4 episodes have been lackluster and boring, which highlighted the fact that Olivia is one of the most boring lead characters ever. This version of Walter can’t hold a candle to the original Walter and I hope we get him back, before I lose my patience. His relationship with Peter was the true heart of the show and I think it’s a shame the writers destroyed it.

Northwest Passage is one my favorite episodes, more of that would make me happy.

15. peter says:

The show had a great start with this season and the story seems interesting and so does peter’s return. I wish the ratings will go up again and hopefully we ll get 1 more season after this one ends.

16. Bob says:

The show has mostly been about Walter and Olivia from the beginning, with some focus on Peter occasionally, especially the back half of last season. Anna Torv and John Noble have had more than enough screen time with their dual characters. There should be no complaints from their camps.

• Bubba Bo Bob Brain says:

Oh, trust me, they’ll do another. The way they do cliffhaners at the end of every season…. wow.

Besides, if they were to make this the last season of a TV show this big, we would have said something by now. They’ve finnished filming so they can’t change their minds on the last minute; especially with the cliffhanger we’re waiting for in four months. They’ll do AT LEAST another season after this.

No worries

17. Chris says:

Oh Boy. Looks like some of the psychotic Joshua Jackson fangirls have discovered this site. Maybe I’m watching a different show, but the it’s an ensemble cast, the fact that you are trying to say who has more time on air and etc is ridiculous. And the notion/comments that Anna Torv and John Noble have done less than stellar acting since day 1 is an insult to everyone’s intelligence out there. Just because Peter isn’t on air in a scene, well the entire story REVOLVES around him! You need to watch Fringe because it’s a fantastic show that can’t compare to anything like it on TV, not because you are in love with an actor who plays a role on it. Fringe isn’t Dawson’s Creek people.

18. Zew12 says:

Chris, be quiet. Anna torv and John noble fans are just as obsessed with them as Josh fans are. Read the reviews, every single review always mention how perfect Anna and John are and they NEVER mention Josh, unless to either call him Pacey or to criticize him. So stop picking on the Josh fans when the Anna and John are JUST as loud.

19. Plum says:

Um, if Peter is the focal point why did they film 5 episodes without him? Same goes for Chuck; how long are we supposed to watch Chuck fumbling without the intersect? Even if we are to forget that not long ago Chuck started the season unable to access the intersect, now he’s lost it completely.

Why are these shows taking away the reason we watch?

• Buba Bo Bob Brain says:

The same reason why they waited 8 episodes before our Olivia and Holivia went back home: buildup. With the cliffhanger and suspence buildup since the spring, it would have been silly to just *POP* and have Peter back all of the sudden in the first episode. It was meant to keep people on the edge of their seat and see what life is like in this “new universe.”

I think Peter appearing at the lake was a neat idea. but you know September (the Observer) is going to catch hell for this. After two and a half decades of observing Walter/Peter, you can tell he got sort of a soft spot for the two of them. I hope nothing bad happens, becuse the Observers (September, specifically) are my favorite minor characters. Them and alternate Astrid…. Man she looks so cute in that beret.

• Sam says:

Peter can’t be the focal point, when he has been out of the story so far. I believe this is something they say to calm down the fans, but it bears little resemblance with reality.

20. redalert says:

Extreme fangirls like ridiculous and Moe are a disgrace to the Fringe Fandom.Luckily the rest of the fans love Anna and Joshua equally. But then again we are intelligent and stable.

21. Annon says:

Peter is the focal point because he like the audience knows knowledge of the last three seasons. We will see the show through his eyes. That doesn’t mean this season is going to be all about him. He wasn’t even in the first four episodes of this season. Seth Gabel said in an interview that the next episode will have a strong Lincoln component for example. So, people are taking this the wrong way.

Every season Peter, Walter and Olivia have all had story arcs of different sizes, with the other characters supporting those arcs. I don’t see season 4 changing that fact. We already know from the writers that Lincoln has an arc of his own this season. This is an ensemble cast and it’s always been an ensemble of characters that has told the story of Fringe and that has always been the case. Those wishing for something different are deluding themselves, because it’s never been like that.

22. LunarstarBabies says:

I think its quite sad that every single Peter-related article on TVline always has to end up with people fighting. I’m sure if it was walter or olivia related article, there would be no fighting.

23. billk says:

I, for one, am looking forward to Peter meeting and interacting with someone else who knows what has changed. Maybe an observer or a completely new character out of left field. I am a fan of the story. I love that every time I think I got it figured out they shake things up. Keeps me watching, albeit on demand lately due to schedule conflicts.

24. Anon says:

Wow. Who let the fangirls out of their cages??? If you don’t think Peter is the focal point of the show, CLEARLY you have NOT been watching since the beginning of the season (or the series for that matter.) When a show has amazing writing like this one does, they do something called ‘setting up a story’ and just because you don’t SEE an actor doesn’t mean that he/it’s not present. However I think this comment is falling on deaf ears and real fans of this show (and not just an actor) already get that. I wish there was at least one place that fans of the show could go to discuss this show and not be invaded my hormonal fan girls.

• zew12 says:

i love it when people accuse Josh fans of being “hormonal” when Anna and John fans can be just as annoying with their “I love Anna so much, she is sooooooo beautiful! she is a goddess! nonsense.

• Anon says:

Their love for an actor could be considered annoying when saying that they are awesome or beautiful but the absolute disrespect for the actors that some of the Peter fans are doing is outright childish. I never see AT or JN fans be hateful towards other actors on the same show. Which makes me think it’s a select few that keep posting the same remarks here about Peter/JJ over and over. Patty is that you? LOL!

• zew12 says:

You’re joking right? Haven’t you read ridiculous’s posts? probably not. Let me give me a refresher.

“To the showrunners, especially mr. Pinkner who said as recently as a few months ago that he found it hard to watch how Anna Torv was treated in the media, simply because she had no decent material in season 1 and season 2 and had to be a professional, only to be given the first half of season 3 and a bit in the 2nd half to prove herself, a truly amazing actress.
          Where is your great writing and great storylines for great actresses Anna Torv, Blair Brown, Jasika Nicole?”

• Annon says:

There is one poster who is a AT fan who makes hateful remarks about Josh all the time, who then sends the JJ fan off spouting her stuff about AT etc.

There are mainly just the two, and you see them on all sites. You can tell it’s the same two, even though they change their names, because it’s the same language they use over and over.

• Sam says:

This might be news to you, but you don’t get to define, what “real fans” are. Accusing of hormonal, whoever disagrees with you won’t help your case, it’s just rude.

25. zew12 says:

BTW, answer me this folks, where was all the whining when season 2 was all about Walter and season 3 was all about 5 Olivias? hUH? where the heck was all the whining?

• Anon says:

There wasn’t whining because people liked the story and didn’t care if one actor was on less than another. It’s called watching a SHOW, not watching an ACTOR.

26. Mike says:

Dear TVLine.com on behalf of the normal fans that come to this site to read info on their favorite show, we apologize for clearly one person on here who has lost their mind. Please don’t stop posting info on our favorite show because some people can’t handle reality and disrespect everyone else s opinions.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

It’s fine, I am marking as Spam and deleting anyone who resorts to childish/shrewish name-calling. It’s stated clearly that discussions should stay on topic.

If you see any offensive comments slip through, use the CONTACT US link at bottom of homepage to let us know and we’ll start blocking ISPs.

27. Annon says:

Thankyou Matt. In all honesty, I love to come to this site to read your articles on Fringe. However, I’m always scared of what I will find in the comments. It’s good to see that something can be done.

28. orion says:

These hormonal fangirls have to be under the age of 18 to post such foolish and insulting posts.