American Horror Story: Rubber Man, the Ultra-
Scary Ultrasound and More Burning Questions!

American Horror Story – which now holds the record as FX’s highest-rated series premiere ever and just earned a Season 2 pick-up –- is starting to answer some questions and spill some (albeit very creepy) exposition. During a conference call with reporters, Connie Britton and Dylan McDermott, who play Vivien and Ben Harmon, increasingly estranged marrieds who perhaps bought the worst fixer-upper in real estate history, shared insight on the show’s success, what’s been going on and what (may) lay ahead.

HOW IS THIS FREAKFEST HITTING RATINGS HIGHS, AND NOT SCARING PEOPLE AWAY? | Britton, who being horror-averse would have been one of the last people to give AHS a try, assigns all credit to the series’ twisted masterminds. “What is so brilliant about what Ryan [Murphy] and Brad [Falchuk] do is they have a very distinct vision that is so outside-the-box of anything we’ve seen before, and they have such a great talent for bringing that to fruition. I think audiences — even those whose natural inclination is not to watch a show like this — are drawn to and appreciate being challenged.” McDermott concurs, saying, “People are smart and want to have something to watch that’s interesting and intelligent… and a lot of television doesn’t offer that. It’s the complexity of the show that makes it stand out.”

HAVE WE SEEN THE LAST OF ADDIE? | In discussing his favorite storylines, McDermott confirmed that Constance (played by Jessica Lange) dragged her daughter, felled by a hit-and-run, to her lawn “to make her a ghost, which I thought was such a great storyline.” As such, we must assume we’ll see the wannabe “pretty girl” in some form again. Says McDermott, “I’m really interested in what’s go to happen to [Lange's] character.”

Exclusive: American Horror Story Casts Mena Suvari as Infamous Hollywood Murder Victim

WHO IS THE RUBBER MAN? | Britton, addressing one piece of speculation that the “infantata” – the Frankenstein-like monstrosity that the house’s original owner sewed together from his dead child – is grown up and wearing the suit (when it’s not Tate goofing around), said “that’s a great guess,” but declined to confirm or deny the identity of the unsettling icon aka Vivien’s baby daddy. McDermott meanwhile raised at least this reporter’s eyebrow by disclosing, “I’ve had to put on the rubber suit a few times myself.” Hmmm. Speaking of Vivien’s freaky-yet-fruitful hook-up….

WHY DID THE NURSE FAINT UPON SEEING THE ULTRASOUND? | “I really don’t know what she saw,” Britton told TVLine when we lobbed this question her way, “but my suspicion is that it was something with horns. I think that’s Vivien’s fear, that it was something with horns.”

Modern Family Star to Pay the Horror Story Family a Visit

HAS DELIVERING ANY OF THIS OUT-THERE FARE MADE THE ACTORS UNCOMFORTABLE? | “After masturbating in the pilot ” — while crying — “what else is there?” McDermott counters with a chuckle. “I couldn’t be uncomfortable again.” As Britton points out, “Ryan and Brad can come up with something that I think is going to be hideous and awful, but I’ve grown to really trust them to create it in a way that is only interesting.”

BUT WILL CONNIE AND DYLAN BE BACK FOR THE JUST-ORDERED SEASON 2? (PERHAPS AS GHOSTS TO HAUNT THE NEXT VICTIMS?) | “It’s open-ended – we’re not quite sure about the next episode never mind next year,” McDermott hedged. “We’re just sort of like flying by the seat of our pants.” Britton even suggests, “I don’t know that Brad and Ryan know, which I think is really fun! It’s such an evolution in progress.”

1. Lucy says:

I really like this show. But I know why she fears horns. Babies are supposed to come out head first. Now imagine with horns? OWWWWW

2. Luisa says:

This show is the best thing on TV. Really like it and can’t wait for more.
    So happy about the Season 2 pick up!
    Dylan and Connie rock. And Jessica just knocks it right off the park.
    All cast, and guests, are simply fantastic.

3. Anthony Newhall says:

I seriously hope they kill off the family and start with a new family. Then that can happen every season. Otherwise the show will get boring and repetitive.

4. Kim says:

Yes, Anthony, because killing off the main family every season and replacing them with a new one wouldn’t get boring and repetitive at all. RME.

5. Tim says:

maybe they could kill off the family halfway through season 2–that would be unexpected

6. Pam says:

I have not found this show particularly scary…. until this last episode! I went to be right after watching it and convinced I would have nightmares. If it was not Addie beneath the bed and rubberman instead, I may have had nightmares.

And where is the dog during all this? I have my dogs to protect me from stuff like this. Why isn’t the dog barking at Addie when she breaks in?

I am really hoping that it is not the dog in the microwave in the next episode. I will definitely be shielding my dogs eyes during this.

7. TimWnTX says:

I love this show. Glad to hear of a 2nd season. I too do not care to guess where this show is going as long as the ride is interesting. Love Lange in this and she is great as always. As for the dog, I don’t think I’ve seen it since the pilot. lol It’s still in the basement.

8. Pum says:

No, do not kill of the Harmons, they are tough and resourceful, no way should they move out. Plus where else would you raise a demon baby but in a ghost house with a dead maid and basement full of evil?

9. Aloma says:

The show isn’t that scary, the scariest part is the intro! But it is very unpredictable!

10. Renitamac says:

I love this show. I hate horror films. This has just enough spook factor to keep it interesting for me, but isn’t so disgusting that it turns me completely off to it. It takes very talented writers to pull that off!

11. Aprilcot26 says:

I really like this show, but I’ll be seriously concerned if Ryan and Brad don’t have a plan for the future. A show like Glee I can take at face value and ignore the inconsistencies, but with AHS they are starting to build a mythology. I hope they keep it consistent.

12. Daw Johnson says:

How can Britton talk about this awesome vision Murphy and Falchuk have but then crack that they probably don’t have a plan in place for season two?

13. Ruby Lioness says:

Jessica Lange is my favorite character in the show. She is like the “Crypt Keeper” of that house. She knows everything about that house and, Addie and Tate wathches over the house. By the way, who is Tate? (in reference to the house) What is his story? This show is awesome! The maid is my 2nd favorite character. She’s kind of sad because she bound to that house because her body is buried in the backyard. The flip side is that her presence is Constance’s punishment! :-)

14. Missfitz says:

I love this show and asolutley hate television in general. I will continue to watch and try to figure how all the characters play into the story line. Great stuff!!!

15. Rianne says:

I love the idea of a new family in season 2 — fresh new people and clean start! Also would love to see more characters of color play a role.

16. Cassie Hill says:

I love this show but if they kill off all the characters in the next season and have a whole new cast, I won’t be watching it anymore. It would be like remaking a movie over, and over, and over.

17. J says:

I would hate for them to kill off this cast/family. I believe that much of the brilliance of the shoe stems from their dynamic. I love horror films but this show takes it one step further. Excellent show, I’m totally addicted and craving more. I have no doubt they can continue with these characters and manipulate the house around their storyline.

18. Christina says:

This the best show!!!!! I have told all my friends about it.

19. tracy says:

I love this show i have to agree with every one it is the best show on tv and i’m so over the moon it’s coming back. Who ever the writer
    s are they have a sick way of thinking and i luv luv luv it

20. jilly mcgillian says:

I’d do Connie Britton six ways to Sunday. Good lord, that’s one hot cougar.

21. RC says:

I think the family is already dead

22. natalie says:

I really love this show!! its one of the few shows I actually watch anymore. Im so addicted to it!! haha

23. salarina says:

Why doesn’t anyone ever turn lights on. They all walk around in the dark. Really who wanders around in a dark old basement with the lights off. I would have 30 8ft. Shop lights in there.

24. Aliana says:

Its Not Scary But I Love It

25. Donald says:

Incredibly intiguing tv. Can’t miss a minute! Does anyone know what the repeating sound effect in the weekly intro is saying? I can’t stop trying to translate from the “ghost-latin”!

26. L & C says:

Does anyone else hear ‘It’s quite a scare’ in the intro? I hear it loud and clear and everybody just thinks I’m crazy.

27. Caitlin says:

Where is the dog in all of these episodes? I’ve only seen it in episodes one and twelve, lol.

28. Caitlin says:

Hahaha nevermind, he’s in episode five. :-)