Ratings: Versus World Series, Chuck Spies Series Low While Grimm Scares Up Strong Debut

It seems that Chuck should have followed the Gifted Man‘s lead and sat the bench.

Facing stiff competition from Game 7 of the World Series — which appears on pace to improve on Game 6 by some 17 percent, final numbers due later — Chuck‘s fifth and final season premiere delivered 3.4 million total viewers and registered a mere 1.0 demo rating amongst the coveted 18-49 crowd.

Hot Video: Fringe Has Some Fun With World Series Preemption

UPDATED: For comparison’s sake, Chuck‘s Season 4 opener drew 6 mil and a 2.1, NBC’s School Pride in the Friday lead-off spot last fall did 2.9 mil/0.9; and NBC’s comedy repeats a week ago averaged 1.8 mil/0.6.

In its time slot, Chuck placed fourth in viewers and tied the Gifted Man rerun and Extreme Makeover‘s first half for a distant, distant second in the demo (behind baseball).

The Chuck premiere as well as the debut of NBC’s Grimm will repeat tonight at 8 and 9 pm, respectively.

Turning to NBC’s Grimm at 9 o’clock, it scared up 6.5 million total viewers and a 2.1 demo rating, building greatly on Chuck‘s lead-in. The supernatural newbie easily placed No. 2 in the demo (far, far behind baseball), but was edged out by the CSI: Miami repeat in total viewers.

Among the other fresh fare daring to air Friday, The CW’s Nikita (1.8 mil/0.6) drew a few more eyeballs while staying flat in the demo, while Supernatural (1.7 mil/0.7) dipped 10 percent opposite Grimm.

1. That CHUCK 2-hour premiere you’re thinking of is back in January of 2010 for season 3. And that aired on a Sunday night from 9pm-11pm after heavily being promoted. Last year, CHUCK’s 1 hour premiere hovered around 6mil and a 2.0.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Fairish point, though the numbers for Season 3’s first Monday episode (added above to story) weren’t as shabby as you suggest (7.36 mil/2.6).

• abc123 says:

No offense, but I don’t know why you’re comparing Chuck’s fifth season opener to season 3 in the first place. Shouldn’t you be comparing it to Fall 2010 when Chuck premiered to a 2.1?

2. DryedMangoez says:

Yay! Plesantly shocked by those numbers for Grimm! I guess America is in to fairy tales this season. Really though, a 2.1 for a show on NBC… on a Friday.

You’d think some NBC affiliates mistakenly aired the World Series or something! Nonetheless, I hope they maintain those numbers with the full load next week.

And it’s worth noting, Grimm premiered better than The Playboy Club and Prime Suspect. It’s on NBC. On a Friday. With Chuck as its lead-in. Against the World Series. Nothing negative about that!

• Kara says:

Thanks for pointing out the positive. Seems like everyone is on the ABC bandwagon this year. Hurray for NBC. They need a victory.

• DryedMangoez says:

And ABC has been having just as much trouble as NBC in launching shows, yet they get a pass since NBC is a favorite punching bag for people.

• shaun says:

That doesn’t track….Revenge is doing well,Happy Endings is doing okay,Suburgatory seems to have some fans.Meanwhile NBC has Whitney and other assorted garbage,plus killing all their decent shows.Only thing NBC has going for them is The Voice(which is Xfactor with a bit more pizazz) and The Sing Off.

• Holly says:

I don’t agree. ABC launched this season:
          Suburbgatory 8.8 mill viewers/3.1 in demo;
          Once Upon a Time (12.9 mill viewers/4.0 in demo);
          Pan Am (5.68 viewers/1.8 in demo);
          Revenge (8.7 mill viewers/2.7 demo);
          Last Man Standing (9.8 viewers; 2.8 demo);
          Man Up (6.7 viewers; 2.0 demo) and
          Happy Endings (8.3 viewers; 3.5 demo).
          The network has cancelled one show: Charlies Angels.

NBC launched this season:
          Grimm (6.5 mill viewers/2.1 demo)
          Whitney (4.2 mill viewers/2.0 demo)
          Prime Suspect (4.6 mill viewers; 1.3 demo)
          Up All Night (5.6 mill viewers; 2.1 demo)
          The network has cancelled two shows: The Playboy Club and Free Agents.

By any objective standard, ABC has been much more successful at launching shows this season. And it’s certainly been more successful than NBC in maintaining viewership in its returning shows.

3. Adam says:

Not worried about Chuck’s ratings at all this season, its 13 ep’s and the final season, it wont be canceled cause NBC isnt that stupid, oh wait? its NBC, now im worried

4. DN says:

Anyone who thinks differently is naive, in my opinion, but NBC is trying to get rid of “Chuck”. The show has a strong fan base — and is a quality family program — but Friday night is the graveyard of TV. The question will be the DVR viewing, for will be the people who chose to go out last night but will watch the show at their convenience.

But, as I stated at the top, I believe NBC wants “Chuck” to fail. The network has officially made this the show’s last season on their network (I still believe another net should buy the show) so any middle ground ratings would put them in a difficult position. NBC could get bitten badly if another network buy the show and it beats the networks own program up against it.

• Rachel says:

I’m starting to doubt Friday night as “the graveyard of TV”. While it definitely, consistently, gets less viewers than other nights, it seems to be carving out its own fantasy/sci-fi niche. Frankly, it’s my favorite night of TV right now. Chuck is failing because people aren’t watching it anymore, or consistently. The numbers it and Fringe, and Supernatural for that matter, would NEVER survive on any other night, but with such strong fanbases and the low number that are usually on Friday anyway, they actually work out okay. I wasn’t a fan of the Fringe move to Fridays last year, but now that I see the whole night taking shape, it really fits.

• Rowan says:

Friday night is a graveyard if you are going for the coveted 18-49 demo that night – which everyone is except for CBS. CBS always skews older and they know that on Friday nights older folks are much less likely to go out than their younger counterparts, so they program for the older demographic, hence their line-up of A Gifted Man, CSI: NY and Blue Bloods. ABC is trying for the young families who can’t go out because they can’t afford a babysitter with Extreme Makeover: Home Edition and The CW, Fox and NBC are hoping that the idea that people who watch sci-fi/fantasy genre (who are not as common as the average viewer, so they are not adequately represented by the Nielson ratings) can’t get a date and therefore watch TV on Friday nights.

BTW, Supernatural has been adjusting up lately, when the final ratings come in. At this point last week they had the same 1.7 rating. Let’s see what happens in a few days when all the results are in.

• Carmichael says:

>The CW, Fox and NBC are hoping that the idea that people who watch sci-fi/fantasy genre (who are not as common as the average viewer, so they are not adequately represented by the Nielson ratings) can’t get a date

That stings just a little that they think like that however true it may or may not be

• Dawn says:

WOW! Did typing all of those stereotypes make your arm sore?

• rowan says:

Get your righteous indignation back in check. Just because network execs believe the stereotypes doesn’t make them true and doesn’t mean I subscribe to them. I know how networks program and why they do what they do because I’ve been working in TV for a long time and have had many discussions with various programing execs who haven’t a clue about what to do with genre TV. CBS is right on the money about their Friday line-up though, and that’s why they win the night.

5. nath says:

let’s just hope that chuck numbers will raise. anyway, i’m glad that’s we’re on the final season, soooooooo we already have 13 episodes… it sucks to be a chuck / fringe fan… we’re ALWAYS in pain :(

6. Jenn says:

By the time Grimm was shown in the Pacific time zone the baseball game was over.

• Rowan says:

With that kind of discrepancy in available viewers, you can’t get any accuracy. I think the next few weeks will give a better idea of who the show will do overall.

7. Sarah Lim says:

Chuck‘s fourth and final season premiere delivered 3.4 million total viewers and registered a mere 1.0 demo rating amongst the coveted 18-49 crowd.

Check out -> Chuck’s fourth***

8. LJ says:

I have been a Chuck fan since the first episode. I voted and campaigned to save it. Even ate subways sandwiches for the cause. BUT…the show is Chuck Bartowski as the intersect. I have no interest in seeing super spy Morgan Grimes. I will watch for a few episodes but if Chuck doesn’t get his flash back soon then I’m bored and gone.

• MelindaB says:

I’ve been here since the beginning, and I’ll continue to be to the end (although I was tired of Volkoff last season and let episodes build up before watching) but I have to agree that Morgan with the Intersect is not what I want to see. I felt sorry for Chuck last night when he was shunted to the surveillance van, although he proved that he still has his brain as a weapon, and can come up with a plan on the fly. I like Morgan, but I wanted to punch him for “stealing” Chuck’s intersect…the little punk.

• sc says:

I agree, the show just seemed to be off without Chuck being the one with the intersect. I hope that this does not last all season but in interviews prior to the start of the season it did not sound like this would change. Hope I am wrong.

9. Jon says:

I watched Chuck, and unfortunately they’ve stayed one year too long at the fair. Interesting new premise, but should’ve been done last year. Jeffster, once funny, is just now plain tired.

10. Rebecca says:

Grimm absolutely stank. I give it an F.

11. Brandon Rowe says:

I believe this is Chuck’s 5th season.

12. Rachel says:

SO MAD about Fridays at 9PM now. I gave Grimm a B – loved Hank & Eddie, and I think it’s got a lot of potential. I’ll keep watching it, but on DVR probably. Supernatural comes first! (Although I did DVR it last night to watch Grimm live…)

13. Clare says:

I don’t think Supernatural stands much of a chance opposite Grimm. It was a huge tactical error writing out Misha Collins, and Gamble’s chickens are coming home to roost. Good.

• Freedomwatcher38 says:

SPN ratings have been steady since Misha left so keep telling yourself that…. SPN hasn’t dropped that much since the premiere and we always inch up in finals. Considering, that the rest of the network isn’t doing all that good, were pretty much on par with the rest of the shows minus Thursday’s. That is a fact!

Grimm will fall next week most new shows do, and all through the episode I watched, I kept going where’s Sam and Dean =p

• Eli says:

lol. keep telling yourself that…

• Rowan says:

Supernatural also has a fairly large overseas following, which the studio keeps track of. The actors go to conventions regularly which helps keep the fan support up. These fans buy DVDs and recruit their friends to watch the show. Like Chuck, this is one show where the Neilson ratings don’t accurately represent the viewing audience.

14. Guildish says:

Dude! Get your facts straight please. Last night’s episode of #Chuck was the Season 5 premier, not Season 4. As for all the other comments, as most die-hard Chuck fans who have worked steadily, un-endingly, and persistently to bring this show back know … this IS Chuck’s final year. It is a massive Thank You from NBC to these same dedicated fans who managed to bring truckloads of positive publicity to the show, their advertisers and NBC while at the same time teaching the executives, cast and crew what skills will be needed to survive in the new digital age! Chuck and Chuck’s fanbase were revolutionaries and made television history because of this! We will not be worrying unduly about misleading/inaccurate ratings or bringing Chuck back for Season 6 or any other such nonsense because we are truly grateful to be able to send off OUR show, cast and crew in the style they deserve. So please everyone … just jump on for the train ride, sit back and ENJOY!!!!

15. Samantha says:

This was Chuck’s fifth season opener, not the fourth.

16. mm says:

YAY for Nikita. Im glad it got a few more viewers. Nikita is the best show to watch on Friday nights. Maybe Chuck fans should check it out

17. JoJo says:

Grimm was so freaking good omfg…..NOT

18. Eric says:

Watched “Grimm” last night and yikes, its total bull****! Seriously! A procedural and a main arc – just like every show out there! The lead doesn’t have enough charisma and the whole thing looked just too tired! For a freshman series, that’s awful! I’m not watching it anymore!

• ChrisGa says:

Couldn’t agree more. The premise is semi-interesting, but you’re right noting that the lead, who’s great eye candy, is almost completely charisma-free. The miscasting here is a near-fatal flaw; I don’t see it lasting the season and I doubt I’ll be tuning back in.

19. AuntieMM says:

This is Chuck’s announced LAST season. There’s really no reason for any newbies to get on board and some of the diehard fans like me (who already have the DVDs from previous seasons) may try new shows. They know they’ll buy the discs anyway so why get further invested in a show that they know will end.

20. GK says:

I don’t understand why Supernatural isn’t getting more viewers. The show is on fire this season, unlike the last one. Every episode is better than the last. The brothers are on the run from this episode onwards and it is so freaking entertaining.

• Jess says:

Supernatural is too difficult to get into unless you watch everything from the beginning. A lot of people I know like it, so I’ve been trying to watch on multiple occasions, but I can never get into the mythology and the cinematography is too dark and gives me a headache.

• Holly says:

Honestly? I kept meaning to give Supernatural a try, but by the time I had the spare time to check it out, I had heard about the more… how shall I say this? Extreme ends of the fandom? Like the girls at Comic Con who got indignant because one of the actor’s girlfriends came to the convention. And after I heard all of that, I was like — I don’t think I want to be associated w/ that fandom, so… I realize it’s a small group of fans who are like that, but it always seems to be the first thing that’s brought up when discussing the show and to be honest it turned me off. Not the show’s fault, but there it is.

21. Patrick says:

I have been a Chuck fan since Day 1, and I think the Morgan as Intersect is stupid. I will watch, but I had no real desire for this season.

Plus, given the savy nature of Chuck’s base, the fact that Holloween is like their High Holy Day (for costumes and parties) I was not surprised. I think there was a lot of DVR of Chuck, and I think that a lot of Chuck’s fans will sit out the shortened season and watch it on DVD. Since there is no point tuning in each week to “save” the show, why bother? I think they wait and watch the shortened season in a marathon once the DVD comes out.

22. Lindsey says:

Thankfully/sadly, we don’t have to worry about Chuck’s ratings anyway. There’s no way it’s coming back, so I’m just going to enjoy the ride. I didn’t expect it to do well this week anyway. Fridays nights are hard enough, but when you add in the World Series and Halloween weekend, it makes it even more difficult. Even if I’m the only one, I will continue to watch. I just hope they don’t pull the plug early and not air all of the episodes. I’m more surprised Grimm did as well as it did.

23. Jess says:

Pilot of Grimm was just not entertaining. I miss Fringe Fridays.

24. Jess says:

I actually enjoyed Grimm more than I thought! Of course, I’m not going to skip Fringe for the 2nd episode of Grimm, but hopefully it’ll do well!

25. Jillian says:

sorry I am a little confused, I thought that CSI Miami aired at 9pm and CSI NY aired at 10pm, so did Grim beat CSI Miami or CSI NY in total veiwers in the 9pm slot? The article says it beat CSI NY in the 9pm slot.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

You are correct, a CSI: Miami repeat aired at 9 pm; I assumed CBS had swapped in repeats of the usual shows.

26. ggny says:

i like Morgan but him being the intersect ruined Chuck for me…The show is called Chuck not Morgan stupid plot twist to try and ramp up the last season that didnt work

27. Jenny says:

Friday night has so many good shows! Thank goodness we now have more choices on Fridays than the CBS procedurals-for-idiots.

28. Rebecca GetEqual Barber says:

NBC will lose my viewership after Chuck ends, and it’s sister network USA will lose me after White Collar and Psych ends and I will boycott. I’m ashamed of NBC for giving Chuck a swan song like this. It’s a slap in the face to fans of Chuck who clearly loved this show and to not only give it only 5 seasons, but to only give us half a final season? Slap. In. The. Face.

• Meg says:

I don’t watch Chuck, but at least NBC is giving them 13 episodes to wrap up the season and didn’t just cancel it at the end of last season. There are countless fans from other shows that never got closure on their shows because they were canceled without warning.

• Isaac says:

Heroes?

• Rebecca GetEqual Barber says:

Yeah, but the fans have been loyal the whole time and fight for the show to come back every year, so it’s a complete slap in the face to us to treat us this way. That’s my opinion.

• melita says:

but morgan being the intersect is a slap in the face anyway the guy is gonna become a pighead soon
          its called chuck not morgan
          hoping ssome sane person like ellie gets it or chuck gets it back
          not liking the direction the show has taken :/

29. Ashley says:

I liked “Grimm” more than I thought I would given the middling-to-bad reviews it’s been getting and I’m looking forward to seeing them flesh out the stories and characters now that they’ve gotten whole introduce-the-premise-of-the-series out of the way. I started watching “Supernatural” again (I stopped after Castiel/the angels-and-demons storyline ate the show), but it’s going to get the DVR treatment while I watch “Grimm” live.

30. Me says:

I hate to disagree with you all but GRIMM was great. I jumped twice (which I never do), the characters sucked me in. The Grimm backstory fascinates me and Nick is gorgeous! I hope they move it to a better night though. I will faithfully DVR but I guess DVR doesn’t count in the ratings.

• tripoli says:

Agreed. I liked it. I didn’t go into with great expectations but was pleasantly surprised. Far better than the awful Once Upon A Time.

31. SPN says:

Great episode of Supernatural yesterday, and my favorite episode so far, I hope continue with episodes as of yesterday, with action, fun and brothers moments, but without exaggerating in drama.:D

32. Isaac says:

I wonder if Grimm’s numbers were better than they would’ve been because Fringe was bumped last night. Now that Peter’s back, it’ll be interesting to see what the numbers will be next Friday. Hmmmm….

• Claire says:

That’s what I was thinking. Without Fringe, many Fringe fans had to go watch something else… That’s all good, as long as they remember to DVR Grimm watch Fringe live next week!

33. SW says:

It’s funny to me that so many people watched Grimm last night, but people won’t give Supernatural a chance. Grimm is basically the same show, except with fairytales, and Supernatural does it much better. I even tried giving Grimm a chance this morning, and while I thought it deserved maybe a C, I don’t think it has very strong dialogue or acting. I have a feeling that it’s numbers will drop next week once it’s put up against Fringe and CSI: NY, as well as Supernatural. Also, it disappoints me a little that while Supernatural’s ratings are steady and not dropping, that more people aren’t watching because this season has been incredible so far. The writers are really on top of their game this year (despite what some fans would say because of a certain character). I wish more people were getting to see that.

• Ding Dong says:

Oh shut up,after season 5 Supernatural went downhill. The CW is geared towards teenagers and women with poor taste in t.v and no one else.

• Marz says:

I think the problem with attracting new viewers is that SPN is a very mythology-heavy show and has been on for 7 seasons. I was curious in it for a while, but did not watch it until I caught up on all six seasons over the summer (thank you TNT for repeats!). I just hope that all the people who dropped out in season 6 will give season 7 another go, because it just keeps getting better!

34. DN says:

Two words for EVERYONE: Game 7. That’s it. ANY analysis of the ratings is a complete waste of time. It was game 7 OF THE WORLD WORLD SERIES!

And, aside from niche audiences, weekends are the end of the line for tv shows.

Warner Bros. should sell chuck to a cable network where there aren’t hissy fits if the ratings aren’t skyrocketing, and the show can go on for another few years.

35. kristine c. says:

No matter what happens. No matter what the ratings shows, I still love Chuck. I am not part of the Nielsen Family after all.

36. Pam says:

Can I get a woot-woot for the Cards? Dug themselves out of elimination to go all the way! It was beautiful!

I did DVR Chuck. I found a lot of the fun that attracted me to the show gone.

I am watching Grimm today. Oh, and lots and lots of horror movies!

37. nitemar says:

Watched Grimm, hmm, gave it a C. Knowing NBC, dont see it pass season 1.

38. Madde says:

SERIOUS. Do you guys believe what a wonderful show chuck is? Yeah right, s5 is not as s2, but it’s STILL good missions and funny scenes. I hope for more romantic scenes between chuck and sarah. But how could you stop watching chuck? It’s nothing else like it on the whole TVplanet. Im sitting here in sweden just waiting to buy s 4 and later also s5. Do what i can. We chuckfans used to be so strong? But not anymore?

39. Holly says:

Friday nights are interesting because, leaving aside CBS and ABC, it’s the night of genre shows with intensely loyal, but small for network tv, fan bases. It’s weird that the networks feel the need to shunt genre television to Fridays — it really does feel like they still believe that old story that geeks are at home Friday nights, dateless and in front of the television and computer. Whereas, in reality, geek culture has mainstreamed and there are so many more people to appeal to, but the reality is that you’re not appealing to a bunch of dateless people w/ nothing to do on the weekend. If that stereotype was ever true, it’s certainly not true now.

Genre television can work on prime time in a big way. We’ve seen it before — X-Files, Lost, etc. And ABC is having a good go of it so far with Once Upon a Time. The people @ home Friday nights watching television skew older — CBS has the right strategy and I have no idea why the other networks haven’t picked up on that.

40. Holly says:

Forgot to add — I hated Grimm. I thought it was humorless, lacked charisma and dear God was it slow. It felt like it was 2 hours rather than 1 and I was FF the commercials. I really wanted to like it, but eek. No. I think it will see a steady and sizeable decline in viewership in the next few weeks.

41. Lisa says:

I’m hoping Grimm will move to Syfy Tuesdays.