World Series Forces Fringe to Sit the Bench

Get More: News, Scheduling News

In another timeline, the Youngstown Buckeyes beat the Kansas City Royals last night in Game 6 of the World Series.

But in the reality we here live in, Game 7 of the Rangers-Cards showdown will air tonight on Fox, forcing Fringe — featuring the now extra-long-awaited return of Peter Bishop — to ride the pine.

UPDATE: And no, CityTV will not be broadcasting the new Fringe episode in Canada, my peer at TV Guide Canada tells me.

The Cardinals’ good news of a final lifeline is also bad news for NBC’s Chuck, which will now premiere its final season against the deciding game of the Fall Classic. Likewise, NBC’s Grimm (at 9/8c) will now debut against Game 7′s later innings. And a Peacock insider says there’s “no chance” the network will blink and go with repeat programming instead.

Fringe (and yes, Kitchen Nightmares) will now resume their seasons Friday, Nov. 4.

Comments (80)

• Does that mean we only get 3 Fringe episodes before the hiatus? Someone please answer! This isn’t fair!

Comment by Marty – October 28, 2011 05:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think we know for sure yet. But it seems like it will definitely be 1 less episode in November Sweeps. I’m guessing they’ll burn the episode off on Black Friday or in December which is a shame. But, I’m sure they have their February Sweeps episodes planned already so they can’t be pushing stuff in the new year back a week. Just my guess though. I’m sure Matt M. would be more of an expert on the topic!

Comment by Mike – October 28, 2011 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yay for DVR’s

Comment by curt – October 28, 2011 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any chance of NBC going for a last-minute pre-emption to avoid the battle?

Comment by Lambsilencer – October 28, 2011 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NBC is wise to air Grimm & Chuck. There are plenty of people that don’t care to see grown men chasing balls around a field.

Comment by John Berggren – October 28, 2011 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Amen – Luckily for me, I have already viewed Grimm online, I dont watch Fringe, gave up on Chuck ages ago and this just means stronger ratings for my Supernatural which IS all new and uninterrupted! I was done with baseball back in July because I’m a Cubs fans. I often forget baseball is played in October because of that fact.

Comment by Carol – October 28, 2011 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You didn’t give up until July? hehe Most Cubs fans I know are done at the beginning of June! :)

Comment by TrulyRoxie – October 28, 2011 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Amen sister. Unfortunately, I live in St. Louis, two buildings down from a bar. I thought they would never stop the friggin’ honking last night and let me get to sleep. I mean, I get that you are excited, but you also have more championships than any other team in the country besides the Yankees. You’ve gone all of, wow, 5 years without a trophy…this isn’t that big a deal. I want my Fringe!

Comment by Alice – October 28, 2011 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I was thrilled to watch the game since I’m a huge Texas Rangers fan (born and raised!)… but after the game was over and I stopped crying, I really wish they had just aired Fringe. I bet it was insanely loud in St. Louis. I live in Dallas, and the silence was deafeningly loud! Seriously? Five years without a trophy? We Texas Rangers fans are still waiting for our first! Thirty-nine years without a trophy… At least the Texas Rangers were the first Texas team to ever win a game in the World Series last year. There are a lot of things Texas does great, and as much as it pains me to say this, baseball clearly isn’t one of them!

Comment by Lindsay – October 31, 2011 11:03 AM PDT
          • I’m with Alice!!

Comment by Scott C. Poole – October 19, 2012 07:25 PM PDT
      • And the ratings for Chuck/Grimm will suffer for it. The “plenty of people” will be watching baseball because it’s the World Series/Game 7 of AWESOME opponents that only comes once a year (like the Superbowl). People will miss the premiere of Chuck, feel like they can’t get into the show since the missed ep.1, and the ratings will stay the way the are. Good thing its the last season. Can’t say that for Grimm on the other hand…

Comment by Dan – October 28, 2011 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That argument would be more valid if DVRs and the internet didn’t exist

Comment by Carmichael – October 28, 2011 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I just about decided to drive South to stab all the Texas players for that half witted game yesterday.Now Fringe is ruined for tonight!!

Comment by shaun – October 28, 2011 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah, what was up with my Texas Rangers in that game? Or in Game 6 for that matter? Hell, SMU has lost their last two games also… lost BADLY against teams we should have run over! And don’t get me STARTED on the Dallas Cowboys. I feel my heart breaking right now. Feel free to stab away!

Comment by Lindsay – October 31, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As we reported on Wednesday (and repeated above), NBC is definitely airing CHUCK/GRIMM. And the CHUCK EP confirmed that on Twitter last night.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 28, 2011 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks, Matt. Well, if I had asked the same for CBS, I would have been on to something… ;)

Comment by Lambsilencer – October 28, 2011 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad that Chuck is still airing…. but so sad about Fringe :( I miss Peter & can’t wait for this episode!

Comment by Kiki – October 28, 2011 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is why we need to have sports events stay on sports channels!

Comment by Matt – October 28, 2011 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If my Nationals had been playing, you’d better believe I’d be watching the Series. Do you think the Super Bowl should be shown only on sports channels? The World Series is a classic annual event. It deserves prime time network television.

Comment by Doris – October 28, 2011 05:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you! It’s refreshing to hear someone who doesn’t care about the teams stand up for the World Series. People are like, “they haven’t won a World Series in five years. Not a big deal.” To which I say, OMG it’s been two weeks since “Fringe” last aired. Shut up people and learn to wait. How do you ever survive the summer hiatus??!! You might as well give up on your shows if two weeks is that much of a hardship.

Comment by Andie – October 28, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So people who cannot afford to pay for cable should not be allowed to watch sports on TV?

Comment by Pam – October 28, 2011 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Does your theory apply to the Super Bowl too? Because I really can’t see ESPN EVER hosting that. lol This is game 7 of the World Series, America’s supposed pasttime. It pains me that Fringe isn’t on, but I definitely understand why it would be bumped.

Comment by Mike – October 28, 2011 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I used to hate sports and feel the same way… but not about things like the World Series or other championship games. It’s a big deal. And sports fans feel the same way about their teams as you do about your favorite TV shows. I’m a huge sports fan now, so maybe I’m biased, but saying that is like saying Fringe is a sci-fi show so it should only air on the SyFy channel. (God, it still pains me to spell it that way.) I love the Texas Rangers, so I was watching intensely, and while I was upset to miss Fringe, I’m really glad they didn’t turn off the game to air it… as much as that game broke my heart…

Comment by Lindsay – October 31, 2011 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eh…baseball. I’d much rather watch Chuck and Grimm! Thank goodness they aren’t on Saturday night, though, because I’d have a hard time choosing Chuck over college football!

Comment by Christa – October 28, 2011 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is well past time that sports go to a digital b band or cable. With hundreds of channels, there should never be any need for sports programming to preempt quality scripted programming.

Sports off Fox now!!

Comment by John Berggren – October 28, 2011 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So then people who can’t afford cable can’t see the World Series or Super Bowl on their local channals? There are many weeks in a TV season and the WS and SB are around for 1 – 7 days

Comment by GB – October 28, 2011 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If you read my whole post, I said cable OR a digital b band. Everyone has access to the latter.

I don’t mind the Superbowl, it’s scheduled and doesn’t move around. Baseball is a PITA though and it tends to mess with programming.

Futurama was killed by incessant pre-emptions. It’s not like the complaint is without merit.

Comment by John Berggren – October 28, 2011 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • What is the merit? Your argument is that a show that aired for a few seasons and was cancelled 8 years ago didn’t do as well as it could have? Also Futurama is now on Comedy Central, with new episodes, so it was hardly “killed”.

Comment by Brian – October 28, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Hate to tell you but more people care about baseball and the World Series than some scripted show that can be aired any time.

Comment by Gretchen – October 28, 2011 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you really see the networks giving up the ad revenue from a major sporting event like that?

Comment by Brooke – October 28, 2011 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s a short term gain that hurts their long term bottom line. Further, if they “B” band it, they can have their cake and eat it too.

Comment by John Berggren – October 28, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uhhh why? Just because a show you like is being postponed? Yes it is unfortunate that a pivital episode of Fringe is being postponed, but sporting events attract good ratings, and more importantly viewers that people who advertise wish to attract. Which is what pays the bills on FREE network TV. I am quite sure that Fox will get better ratings with Game 7 then they will with any episode of Fringe.

Comment by Brian – October 28, 2011 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not all of us watch baseball, so I’m glad that Chuck and Grimm will still be on…but if their initial ratings will be bad, then I’d also wait a week to give them a better chance. Maybe NBC should have aired the premieres last week as originally intended.

Comment by MelindaB – October 28, 2011 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, bet they’re kicking themselves over that one

Comment by Carmichael – October 28, 2011 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last night’s game was AMAZING! I love Fringe but I can wait another week.

The bad part is that I have to get up at 6 am tomorrow for an 8 hour volunteer shift! :(

Comment by Pam – October 28, 2011 05:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously????????????? I’ve been waiting for this episode for weeks!!! It sucks!

Comment by Diego – October 28, 2011 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bad for ratings, but good for me! I’ll have something to watch with Chuck and Grimm on. Not a baseball fan.

Comment by KDW – October 28, 2011 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are not alone! DWTS got more viewers than the World Series earlier this week!

Comment by Barb – October 28, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a Youngstown native and lover of all things Fringe…nice touch Matt!

Comment by Ann Enigma – October 28, 2011 06:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NIKITA screwed as well

Comment by Bronzia88 – October 28, 2011 06:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t people know that DVRs exist? Aren’t the ratings based on LIVE and whoever DVRs and watch later on before like 4AM or sometime in the morning?

Comment by Kevin M – October 28, 2011 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Chuck but I will be watching the world series. Game 6 was thrilling! The guys really battled it out. I stayed up until the end because I couldn’t leave the tv.
    Here’s to a great Game 7!

Comment by Elizabeth – October 28, 2011 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All Sports bore me so i really wish theyd just air them on espn if they insist on airing them on television at all and let the shows i wanna watch air when they are originally scheduled. in fact im gonna go so far as to say the only reason a show should be pre-empted is if there is a national emergency and then only long enough to inform everyone about any needed safety info.

Comment by David w – October 28, 2011 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the news bores me, so does that mean it should only be on cable news channels? television isn’t just for scripted/reality shows. real life happens, like rain and a team coming from behind to force a game seven. i’m sure this time next year, you won’t even remember this happened since baseball bores you and all.

Comment by julie – October 28, 2011 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Fringe and was just as bummed as the next person to miss it, but I love sports and was thrilled I got to watch Game 7, as much as I was upset about the score. I can deal with a 2 week break from Fringe. It’s not the end of the world. And besides, I bet most people would say the opposite. Most people probably find Fringe boring and they’d rather watch sports. (Of course, anybody who finds Fringe boring is just plain crazy, but that’s not the point.) And besides, there was always a chance that there would be a Game 7 and this would happen. It’s not like the World Series schedule was new information that they decided on after Game 6. Game 7 was ALWAYS scheduled… we just didn’t know if we’d have one. (And if my Texas Rangers had just closed it out in 6, I guess we wouldn’t have had this problem!)

Comment by Lindsay – October 31, 2011 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any chances that CityTV air the Fringe episode? It still is on the schedule.

Comment by Miguel – October 28, 2011 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was wondering the same thing, Miguel. Noticed this morning that “Novation” (ep 5) is still listed with 10/28/11 as its original air date on CityTV’s site.

Anyone know yet if CityTV will be airing this tonight?

Comment by Jessica – October 28, 2011 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, but nope — story updated above.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 28, 2011 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *insert expletive*

Comment by tori – October 28, 2011 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooooooooooo!!!! I am so PO’d! I don’t care about baseball and I’ve been waiting patiently for Peter to come back. UGH

Comment by Jennifer – October 28, 2011 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No problem. Fringe is f***ing overrated crap. Hope it gets cancelled.

Comment by sacsadsad – October 28, 2011 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sad act.

Comment by Lila – October 28, 2011 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, I am very happy with this. God, fringe sucks.

Comment by sacsadsad – October 29, 2011 02:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh…I don’t watch sports so I’ll be watching Chuck & Grimm & Supernatural tonight anyway!

Comment by Lori – October 28, 2011 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad some stupid little game is going to derail my night of awesome television.

Comment by Harry – October 28, 2011 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do watch baseball, huge fan in fact. Unfortunately I don’t have a ratings box because I will definitely be tuned into Chuck tonight. It’s a shame that this is the last season, feels like the spy agency thing could turn into several seasons worth of material. Why don’t they take DVR into account yet? Chuck would probably be going for seasons of that was the case.

Comment by Jon – October 28, 2011 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok I’m sorry but I’m pissed!! I’m soooo done with baseball now. You can move a baseball game to anyday of the week! Tv shows on the other hand you really can’t. I rather watch chuck,supernatural and fringe then a baseball world championship game. Fox took pretty much a whole month away from its normal programming for reality shows and baseball I’m done with all this baseball and reality shows I want my shows back on pronto!!!

Comment by Jill – October 28, 2011 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The schedule for the games is set up in advance. The games are played back to back for a reason. Fox has no control over the schedule of the games, MLB has this power. Fox knew this when they bid on the World Series. Also, Fox will get much higher ratings for a Game 7 than they will an episode of Fringe, which I’m sure they are pretty happy about during sweeps.

Comment by KSM – October 28, 2011 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That comment is inane. The logistics of rescheduling a live sports championship game are way more complicated than telling your local network affiliates to keep an already in-the-can TV episode on the shelf for a week. It’s the difference between scrambling to accommodate tens of thousands of people in the real world and telling som etechie that he can’t flip the switch until next week.
      I want my Fringe now as much as you do, but you’d sound more reasonable screaming at Mother Nature for forcing the issue.

Comment by Chris – October 28, 2011 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do not see why they could not have put game seven on Saturday night

Comment by Amanda – October 28, 2011 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Get a clue. Why would they bump a game to Saturday night, so that Fringe can air? How about because tickets have already been sold? How about because too many days off during a baseball series can give a certain team an advantage over the other because of pitcher availability? You people are hilarious. Baseball brings in millions of dollars in advertising money for Fox and you think they are going to prioritze FRINGE over the game! Also, I love how some of you want to just “put all sports on ESPN” – yea, I’m sure Fox would love that seeing as all the money they would lose. Go look up how much Fox pays for the RIGHT to broadcast these games. That’s exactly what broadcasting the World Series is, a RIGHT and a PRIVELEGE, not a BURDEN!

Comment by Chris – October 28, 2011 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now someone explain to me WHY in H** last Friday was a repeat instead of a new episode when there was NO GAME, and nothing to prevent us from seeing Peter’s full return and subsequent Fringe incarceration!!??? And now we have to wait yet another week!!!??? Aaaarrggghhhhh!!!!! Dang you, Fox network execs!

Comment by mdaily – October 28, 2011 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, it’ll be tough but I’ll try my best. Most shows took off the last week because that happens with most network televisions the week before Fall Sweeps. It’s a long season from September to May where only 22-24 hours AT MOST will air for a given show. The key weeks in which episodes NEED to air are in September to kick off new programs, Fall Sweeps, February Sweeps and May Sweeps. These are key episodes where they will pull all kinds of ratings stunts to draw in more ratings and, in turn, advertisers. (stunt casting, BIG plot twists a la PETER’s return). Fall Sweeps began yesterday which is why ALL Thursday television shows were new besides The X-Factor. It was SUPPOSED to be the latest day a World Series Game would air (aka Game 7) but the weather in St. Louis on Wednesday pushed Game 6 to Thursday FORCING a possible Game 7 to air on Friday and bump Fringe’s November Sweeps episode. Now, Fringe is stuck with only airing 3 of their big 4 episodes during Sweeps because of the World Series…but this benefits FOX as they will get much bigger ratings on Friday for a Game 7 World Series match than for Fringe, unfortunately.

How did I do?

Comment by Mike – October 28, 2011 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “most network televisions ” = Most network shows

Comment by Mike – October 28, 2011 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If it had rained on 10/19 &/or 10/20, a game would have been rescheduled for 10/21 (last Friday). As neither team plays in a domed stadium, that was a possibility and needed to be taken into consideration. There’s also the pattern for the series–the first two games at the NL park, then a travel day, then three games at the AL park, then a travel day, then two games at the NL park. This was determined by the All-Star game, which was won by the NL and thus received the home field advantage in the World Series. As meteorology is NOT an exact science, there was no way to predict the date of any of the games.

Comment by Doris – October 28, 2011 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The world series will still be going on long after chuck is over so please for the love of god chuck fans…..WATCH CHUCK LIVE!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Heather – October 28, 2011 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow I was waiting for Fringe dang :(

Comment by Shar – October 28, 2011 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sad face.

Comment by DrewH – October 28, 2011 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HATE this.

Comment by Ana Muller – October 28, 2011 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hahahahahahahaha this is great, because fringe is sh*t. I don’t want that crap on my tv.

Comment by Troll McTrollerton – October 28, 2011 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Game 7 had better be one heck of a game. In fact, the Cardinals had better make use of their final-hour chance and win it all now. They are postponing FRINGE. FRINGE! With Peter returning! And as much as I like baseball (and really, I do), right now I’m more invested in (Friday-night) fictional people, thank you very much! Thank goodness CHUCK will still premier its fifth and (*tear*) final season. Tonight’s ratings won’t matter much.

Comment by Cass – October 28, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice name. Back under the bridge with you.

Comment by Carmichael – October 28, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry Cass, that was directed towards Troll McTrollerton of course, I’m a bit tired so didn’t think to hit reply to post as his was the last one there.

Comment by Carmichael – October 28, 2011 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hahaha what an idiot. Learn how to reply.

Comment by Troll McTrollerton – November 1, 2011 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummer!!!

Comment by Austin – October 28, 2011 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks you for the Canadian info ! Less searching for me :)

Comment by Maxime – October 28, 2011 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad CityTv isn’t airing Fringe. Baseball? Not such a big thing in Canada.

Comment by Sam – October 28, 2011 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, looks like Chuck, Grimm and Sanctuary tonight. Don’t bother with the WS. Rangers will win in a blowout because the Cards are spent from last night.

Comment by Bob – October 28, 2011 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, this is a total bummer! I’ve been counting down the days until tonight’s FRINGE. It’s too bad that I can’t travel to the parallel dimension where FRINGE is actually airing! ;) But I’ll definitely be watching FRINGE next Friday to see Peter reunite with Walter and Olivia!

Comment by Mena – October 28, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post