Ratings: Horror Story Hits High, Psych Surges

The Harmon family’s American Horror Story isn’t scaring anyone away. Quite the contrary.

FX’s freshman drama on Wednesday night hit a series high in the coveted 18-49 demo, gaining 12 percent week-to-week to score a 2.0 rating.

Opposite CSI and SVU repeats amongst network fare, AHS‘ total viewership was also up (to 3 million), giving the frightfest its largest audience since the premiere. The show also notched an all-time high in the 25-54 demo, and thanks to a Twilight lead-in had a slightly higher-skewing female audience (55% vs the usual 52%).

Time slot rival Psych, meanwhile, also sank its teeth into significant gains, surging 32 percent in total viewership to deliver 3.3 million. Psych was also up 13 and 24 percent in the 18-49 and 25-54 demos, respectively.

One final Wednesday cable nugget: Comedy Central’s comedy combo of South Park and Nick Swardson’s Pretend Time also enjoyed a bump, up 16 percent in the 18-49 demo (from a 1.3 to 1.5).

1. Michelle says:

That’s because people are finally realizing that Psych ROCKS! One of the best shows out there!!!!

• Kate says:

Absolutely! And I’m loving that they are using Woody more this season. He had some of the best lines in the hangover episode!

2. Ashley says:

“Psych” is on fire this season! I’m so glad people are taking notice of it.

3. Laura says:

Loved Psych this past week. I’m not sure which costume was funnier – Shawn’s Lestat or Gus’ Blacula (which everyone thought was Count Chocula)!

4. Meg says:

Glad to see that Psych is finally getting some well-deserved love! Better late than never, fellow pineapples!

5. nitemar says:

American Horror Story is disturbingly amazing and the opening credits can’t be any creepier. Im not surprised its growing audience. FOX don’t screw it!

6. Eliza says:

It was another great episode for Psych!
    It’s ridiculous how happy I am to have Shawn & Gus back on my TV.
    With USA bumping it off of their summer schedule– I’m so glad to see Psych doing well & proving that it’s still a worthy show.

7. Aaron says:

Great writing on AHS…easily the best new show of the season.

8. bhm1304 says:

“South Park” revealing the truth behind Broadway musicals was exceptionally hilarious. Matt and Trey still have it.

9. Tony says:

Been in love with PSYCH since the pilot! So glad to see people are finally realizing what they’ve been missing. Best show on television!

10. Chris says:

AHS is easily the best show since Connie Britton’s LAST show, FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS (Miss The Dillon Panthers)and WAIT FOR IT… PSYCH has consistently been THE FUNNIEST show on all of television. MODERN FAMILY, 2 1/2 Men and HIMYM get all the headlines but they are all NOTHING compared to Shawn and Gus! It’s the best way to wash the economy, the dunces in governement taxing us to death and the KardASS-ians off. However, I don’t recall a more packed Wednesday night with REVENGE, SVU, PSYCH, AHS, EXTREME COUPONING and CSI all on at 10/9 central. Thank God for replays, ABC.COM and replays!

11. Scott says:

Before this week I was a fan of both shows. Now after another dull and boring episode that went nowhere and did nothing to keep me entertained I had to give up on American Horror Story. I had such high hopes for it after the first episode but then it felt like they forced the “break in” episode down our throats. After that I had a hard time taking anything the show did seriously. I kept watching though and then we got Denis O’Hare’s killing of Hayden and how quickly Ben buried and hid the body. That too seemed forced and as if the writers were like “Hey, we actually don’t have anything for Kate Mara’s character so we’re going to kill her and shock you all!!” After last night’s episode where the annoying little (was she even a young girl?) girl died, I just couldn’t take it anymore. I had to remove it from my DVR.

I did like Psych’s latest episode though!

• GK says:

Did you even watch the Halloween Part 1 episode? Zachary Quinto was amazing as one half of a gay couple. And in the final moment of the episode, Kate Mara came back!!

12. Matt says:

PSYCH is terrific. We’ve watched it since the first season, and it never fails to bring a smile and sometimes a gulp – particularly when Shawn’s mom & dad (Shepard and Berstein) are on. And we love the fun of watching to see how many Vancouver locations we can identify that are standing in for Santa Barbara. I’d like to see PSYCH continue to the point that Shawn & Gus are ready to apply for Social Security.

13. Matt says:

If you like Psych, try to find and watch a show called ENDGAME. It’s made in Canada and stars a Russian chess champion with agoraphobia who solves crimes from his hotel room with the help of a young chess fan and a hotel maid. The writing is great, the characters are well-developed, and the plots are twisty enough that you have to watch to figure it all out. It’s unfortunately been cancelled after one season, unless USA Network or some other network picks it up.

14. Rachel says:

Loved Wednesday Psych episode. Have to say nearly died when Tom Lenk showed up. Forget props to Cory give it to Tom. I love how all of a sudden all Buffy characters is popping up everywhere.

15. MJ says:

Love the Psych love!!!! I have been a watcher since episode 1. One of the funniest TV shows ever. I am their age, so I get all of the jokes.

One of the best shows on the air right now!!!

16. kathy says:

One of my top faves, kids had me buy all of the seasons on DVD and they watched every single one one week this Summer. But, MJ, you don’t have to be “their age” to get the jokes.
    I LOVE all of the references to the 80′s TV shows, movies, music and other things. Breakfast Club is still one of my favorite movies (my 16 yr old daughter wanted that movie and 16 Candles for her birthday!).
    I like it when Lassie and Sean team up. And while I was sorry to Better With You not get renewed this season at least that makes “Monty” more available for Psych.

17. Plum says:

Just when I think AHS can’t creep me out any more than it has it then gets more weirder and wilder. It’s fraks with viewer’s minds which is way scarier than simple gore.

18. Steph says:

PSYCH! Best show on tv EVER!!! Looks like the move from summer to “real” season didn’t hurt them, nice to see that they’re getting the love that they deserve!
    @MJ/kathy: Age really doesn’t matter, I’m a bit younger and don’t know much about the 80ies so I don’t get all the references, but it’s still my favorite show of all times :)

19. Lisa says:

Gus was a great Blacula.

20. shelia says:

Amer.horr story, yea! Somthing besides. Crime,reailty,s.o.s.. frist of It’s kind in awhile. Never ending horror,movie,sort of. Pledge to watch fatefully. T.y.fox!