Fox Brings Back Sketch Comedy In Living Color

Get More: News, Spring TV Preview

Prepare to get fly again. Fox is resurrecting its groundbreaking sketch comedy series, In Living Color, the network announced on Friday evening.

The new reiteration consists of two half-hour specials scheduled to air in Spring of 2012, during Fox’s 25th anniversary celebration. If the specials are successful, In Living Color could be back as a regular series as early as Fall 2012.

This time around, Keenen Ivory Wayans, who created and starred on the original series in the early ’90s, will serve as host and executive producer.

In addition to featuring many of Wayans’ family members — Damon, Shawn, Kim and Marlon — the original In Living Color also helped launch the careers of Jim Carrey, Jamie Foxx, David Alan Grier and Fly Girls Jennifer Lopez and Carrie Ann Inaba. The remake will feature a brand new cast of fresh faces, as well as musical performances by special guests.

Which classic In Living Color skits or characters would you like to see revisited anew in next year’s specials?

Comments (31)

• Casting will be everything. I loved this show during its first few years, but it stunk almost as bad as Mad TV after Carrey, Damon and several others left the show.

Comment by TigerNightmare – October 28, 2011 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see “Men on Film” with their two snaps and around the world. And Mrs. Bernice who gossiped on the street corner in her lawn chiar. Her tag line was “I ain’t one to gossip, so you ain’t heard that from me.” Also Jamie’s Foxx’s Wanda

Comment by adrienne – October 28, 2011 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Heeeey! I GOT you! I’m read to go.

Comment by ^^ – October 28, 2011 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Her name wasn’t Mrs. Bernice it was Benita Betrelle, and she don’t want nobody sayin’ nothin’ bad about Miss Jenkins!

Comment by Ronnie – October 29, 2011 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ditto Benita Betrelle, Just bring back KIM

Comment by Luis – July 16, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with bringing back Mrs. Bernice and would add a cameo of Jim Carrey as Fire Marshall Bill!

Comment by Tabitha – October 28, 2011 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Homie the Clown!

Comment by Mspenn – October 28, 2011 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Homie don’t play dat!!! Love it!!

Comment by misssandybee – October 29, 2011 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool! Looking forward to the new updated version and seeing what future stars it may spawn, provided the casting is carried out wisely.

Comment by april-ann – October 28, 2011 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I loved this show. Classic comedy. I wonder if any of the Wayans offspring will be cast.

Comment by Callie – October 28, 2011 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I give this idea three snaps and a twist, but in today’s PC world I don’t see how it can fly.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – October 28, 2011 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • PC world? Where do you live? It’s airing on FOX. You know, the channel that currently airs Family Guy, one of the raunchiest shows on television??? Just because the people on FOX News are supposed to keep their bigotry under the radar, it doesn’t mean FOX has stopped being outrageous.

Comment by KevyB – October 29, 2011 01:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My husband and I LOVED this show, the first few years the most. Personally, I was never a huge fan of Carrey’s characters, but I loved Damon Wayans! Homie the Clown, Men on Film.
    Thanks to You Tube my teenagers have seen Men on Film.
    Just hope they do it right.

Comment by kathy – October 28, 2011 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they were able to get Jim Carrey to come back to do something for the show, I would LOVE to see them bring back the skits he did with Alexandra Wentworth where you’d have a normal interview going on in the foreground while the two of them were doing insane stuff mugging for the camera in the background.

Comment by Evan – October 28, 2011 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s too many characters to name. I loved the show and still watch the reruns. I think if the 1st two shows do well and this becomes a permanent addition to Fox, all old acts should be highlighted at least once. It would also be great to have cameos by some of the original cast. I’m excited and can’t wait!

Comment by Chakena – October 28, 2011 11:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Jim Carrey’s skits: Vera de Milo, Fire Marshall Bill, etc. And Jamie Foxx with Wanda. I think it could be great again. Bring on the cameos, and I’ll give it two snaps and another view into syndication.

Comment by Crystal – October 29, 2011 05:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So it’s not really In Living Color. Lets face it, ILC was ILC because of the cast. Bringing it back with an all-new cast, isn’t bringing it back at all.

Comment by Captain – October 29, 2011 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Most of the cast were Wayans brothers and sisters. Odds are they’d all come back. I wouldn’t be surprised they could get Tommy Davidson to come back.

Comment by Evan – October 29, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’ve already announced that it’s going to be a brand new cast. The only original is KIW.

Comment by Bob – October 31, 2011 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Howie the clown terrified me as a kid.

Comment by Mark – October 29, 2011 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You best be glad you didn’t just get smacked with a sock full of rocks or something, man. It’s Homie the clown, and he don’t play dat.

Comment by Ashley – October 30, 2011 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds great , I miss the sketch comedy shows and would think this would do well.

Comment by Joseph – October 29, 2011 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to see wanda…lol I so can’t wait was watching in living color the other night dying laughing

Comment by rhonda – October 29, 2011 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No doubt they’ll get good performers, as Keenen Ivory Wayans showed in the original that he can pick talent. But the show will work only if they get good writers.

Comment by maggie – October 30, 2011 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Novel concept,but let us not delude ourselves.

This new edition will NEVER,EVER measure up to the original.

For one thing,it’s been too long; all the originals have moved on.

Jim Carrey CANNOT do Vera De Milo(Fire Marshall Bill,MAYBE).
    Not only that,but,really,NONE of the old characters have the freshness of the old days.

Now let’s look at another bone of contention……THE COST.

Jim Carrey,Jennifer Lopez,and Carrie Ann Inaba would cost WAY TOO MUCH NOW,and there’s NO WAY any of them would be willing to take a pay cut.
    And didn’t I read somewhere that Alexandra Wentworth or Kelly Coffield had gone to become some ULTRA-RIGHT WING FLACK FOR SOME NEWSPAPER SOMEWHERE.

Let’s get real. IN LIVING COLOR CANNOT WORK TODAY!!

I DEFY ANYONE TO ARGUE THIS!!!

Comment by JEREMY – October 30, 2011 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You defy anyone to argue with that, huh? Well, let’s start with a word use lesson first, shall we? Defy means 1. To openly resist or refuse to obey: “a woman who defies convention”. 2. Make (an action or quality) almost impossible: “his actions defy belief”. So, really, I’m not sure anyone can ‘defy to argue this’. That said, with the right casting and writers that love the original, it can grown into its own as a sketch comedy show. I wouldn’t even want them to try and recapture the original vibe. Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but it’s also the quickest way to magnify your flaws. If they do their own thing while paying simple homage to the show we all know and love, it should (keyword being should) do fine.

Comment by Ashley – October 30, 2011 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d venture a guess if Happy Endings isn’t picked up for a 3rd season (though I hope it does) Damon Wayans Jr will likely wind up on the reboot if this gets picked up.

I don’t think it’ll compare to the original, but I’m willing to give it a watch. It’s all about the casting.

Comment by P – October 30, 2011 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love that they are bringing it back!

HANDI-MAN!!!!!!

Comment by Gapstow – October 31, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course it’s not going to work. Everyone is going to watch the two specials expecting ‘In Living Color’, and they’re going to be very disappointed. It’s not the original cast and everyone will be comparing the new people to the old people. KIW has his own big shoes to fill with this reboot.

Comment by Bob – October 31, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved in living color absolutely a wonderful idea. I have a question for the big tv executives and casting team what about sliding a big girl in there who is funny and cute like me. One that every one wants but she wants big homie and he don’t.want her.

Comment by meggan – November 27, 2011 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi iam a fan i love the show an i love any work that Mr. Wayans is working on it always funny looking froward to the New show!!! WERE IS CASTING BE HEAD IM READY TO BE A PART OF THE TEAM!!!!!!!!

Comment by BrandyMonroe – March 28, 2012 01:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post