Southland Scoop: Lou Diamond Phillips Cops Season 4 Guest Stint

Get More: Casting News, News, Scoop

Lou Diamond Phillips will guest star in the Season 4 premiere of TNT’s Southland, TVLine has learned.

TNT Schedules Winter Runs for Leverage, Southland and Others, Sets Mystery Movie Slate

Phillips, whose TV gigs include Stargate UniverseNumb3rs and the upcoming A&E Western Longmire, will play Danny Ferguson, an intense, intimidating street cop who has a cynical — or is it pragmatic? — view about law enforcement. But when things get tough, he always comes through and proves to be an exceptional cop.

Phillips joins The Cape‘s Dorian Missick, who’s booked a recurring role as Detective Lydia’s (Regina King) new partner, as one of the new faces on the cop series. Lucy Liu (Ally McBeal) will also have a special guest role on the new season as a member of the LAPD.

Southland returns Jan. 17 at 10/9c.

Comments (7)

• Awesome. I really like him in what I’ve seen him in, he was actually quit good in SGU, which got a lot of flack (I do love SG1 and SGA 100x more but still). Southland is still too far away! Also glad to see another partner for Lydia that was announced the other day, Dorian Missick as Ruben Robinson, maybe he’ll stick around? She’s been through so many after Russ and even though I liked him, too, I was disappointed in what he did. I get that it was a way or phasing out Tom Everett Scott’s character on account of budget cuts, if I recall correctly. But in any case, I’ve liked all the other guest stars for her partner, though. I’d wished we’d have Amaury Nolasco back for another, I loved him. Either way, I’m excited!

Comment by Sarah – October 27, 2011 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, great special guest for the new season! SouthLand is one the greatest cop shows ever. It does not get enough recognition for what they bring to TV.

Comment by s. – October 27, 2011 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How many partners are they going to have for Regina King? They should have settled for Amaury Nolasco.

Comment by Clay – October 27, 2011 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just hope the new addiations do not mean losing other main character. I liked the cast the way it started. That they already wrote out Russ and Nate was really upsetting. If they do the same with John Cooper and Ben Sherman I will case watching even if Southland otherwise is the best cop-shwo around.

Comment by Andi – October 27, 2011 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, that is interesting. Can’t wait to see him on the show! Southland is an amazing show. One of the best cop shows I have ever seen. I am so glad it is coming back. Though, January does still feel far away. Looking foward to it!

Comment by Mindy – October 27, 2011 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another new partner for Lydia, did I miss something? What happened to Ochoa? I guess I need to rewatch season 3 one of these days…

Anyway, I’ve liked Phillips in most of his recent guest roles, so I’m betting he’ll fit right in here. Good pickup!

Comment by JC – October 27, 2011 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Southland is a very underrated TV cop show, one of the best I have seen lately. Good script, good acting and quite intense. I hope we can see more of this TV show.

Comment by Socrates – March 24, 2012 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post