The TVLine-Up: 5 Web Series Worth Watching

Get More: TVLine-Ups, Web Series

Popular Web Series ListMike O’Brien leans in to Connie Britton, Jack Black pleads ignorance regarding YouTube sensation Rebecca Black, Google+ causes a spat between newly married gay couple Cheeks and Brady, and a red-haired elf prepares to kick some mage (I’m a nerd, but I had to look this up) ass. And it’s all happening exclusively on the Interwebs!

How do I know this?

Because our TVLine-Up franchise is expanding into the world of original web content, and this week’s inaugural edition singles out five of the web series you’re likeliest to be buzzing about right now (or wish you were). Check ‘em out and then hit the comments with your own recommendations.

7 Minutes in Heaven | Belinda Carlisle claims “heaven is a place on earth,” but Mike O’Brien narrows that vague location down to his walk-in closet. The latest episode features American Horror Story heroine Connie Britton among the shoes and sweaters translating a statement about the Blue Man Group in Chinese. She’s an even better sport when O’Brien attempts to relate her role on Friday Night Lights with Bronson Pinchot’s role on the 1980s sitcom Perfect Strangers.

Red Band Trailer | The second season of this web series features lively conversation with writer/producer Diablo Cody (aka Brook Busey) in an Airstream trailer. Jack Black, the guest de jour, discusses his theory on what brought about his evolution from “actor in vulgar comedies” to “actor of family fare.” Black charmingly stumbles during the “lightning” part of the 10 questions segment, but does reveal that he’d like “a slightly heavier Emile Hirsch” to play him in a biopic.

Husbands | A typical scenario: A drunken night in Vegas leads to a marriage between actor Cheeks (Brad Bell) and ballplayer Brady Kelly (Sean Hemeon). The atypical aftermath: Out of respect for the new same-sex marriage law, the couple opts to forego an annulment and strives to make the marriage work. In this week’s episode of the series — which hails from acclaimed TV scribe Jane Espenson (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Battlestar Galactica) — Cheeks and Brady fight about what couples have been fighting about for eons (OK, really just since the dawn of Facebook): relationship status on social networking sites.

Dragon Age Redemption | An extension of the Dragon Age II video game, this series follows the Elven exploits of Tallis (Felicia Day), a sassy assassin who must capture a dangerous mage who is hellbent on destroying the world. In the third episode of this six-part series, Tallis adds another companion (Josmael, actor Masam Holden) to her posse in her search to find the evil Saarebas (Doug Jones).

Aim High | Produced by McG and starring Jackson Rathbone (Twilight), Aimee Teegarden (Friday Night Lights) and Greg Germann (Ally McBeal), this action-packed series about a teenage spy begs to be watched with a bag of extra-buttery popcorn. In Episode 3, Nick (Rathbone) goes up against a Russian mercenary (guest star Clancy Brown) while simultaneously standing up Amanda (Teegarden), the girl of his dreams. Billed as the first “social series,” viewers’ friends will be integrated into the show (via graffiti on walls or school banners) if they opt into Aim High’s Facebook application and watch through the show’s Facebook page.

Comments (44)

• You forgot Emma Caulfield’s “Bandwagon”.

Comment by Mitholas – October 27, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This says he singled out five, how can that be “forgetting”?

Comment by Danyelle – October 27, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know, I know. I just think that show deserved a plug, so at the very least a comment was warranted.

Comment by Mitholas – October 27, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • if we are talking web-series…

check out http://www.secretstheseries.com! it’s a super-fun, gay-themed indie-soap!

Comment by boy9productions – October 27, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a fan of a lot of the web soaps. My fave is Crystal Chappell’s “Venice”

Comment by George – October 27, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You forgot the other Felcia Day project, The Guild (watchtheguild.com)

Comment by Melissa – October 27, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoy watching Felicia Day’s The Guild.

Comment by LG – October 27, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thrilled to see “Husbands” the Web Series mentioned in this article. I cannot recommend it enough! Co-writers Jane Espenson and Brad “Cheeks” Bell have outdone themselves with a smart, sharply witty and endearing show that leaves me wanting more, and NOW! If anyone is looking for a laugh or two – let’s be honest, how about dozens upon dozens – this is the show to watch.

Comment by xof1013 – October 27, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Husbands too. Such a great concept and very funny.

Comment by Marilyn – October 29, 2011 12:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ooh Husbands. My fave new show. I can’t recommend it highly enough.

Comment by uriel walker – October 27, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The guild is great.

Explosion Bus (www.ExplosionBus.com) is my new favorite. It’s from the people who did Dr. Katz on Comedy Central, and each episode is 15 minutes long. It looks like the move to high quality programming for the internet is finally starting to really take hold.

Comment by Duncan – October 27, 2011 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i <3 dr. katz and jonathan katz

Comment by Grumpyme – October 27, 2011 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Husbands – they are hilarious.
    Love everything Felicia Day does.

Comment by verybookish – October 27, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Need to add “Raisin’ Junior” to this list. The web series is just damn funny. Check it out at http://www.youtube.com/user/raisinjunior#p/u

Comment by Girard Ruddick – October 27, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE Husbands! http://husbandstheseries.com

Comment by tinysparkles – October 27, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see this article. So many great web content out there that it gets hard to keep up.

Husbands is absolute brilliance everyone should watch it. And I agree that Bandwagon is definitely worth a mention.

Comment by Ainav – October 27, 2011 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love that you are donig web series, too! Haven’t heard of any of these, can’t wait to check ‘em out

Comment by Kristina – October 27, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Husbands. Jane Espenson is awesome.

And I love Diablo Cody. Great to see Red Band Trailer back. They took off the first season from youtube though, that’s a shame.

Although Web Therapy was better on Showtime, watching it as a webseries is still fun. New season will begin soon. Just so you know.

Comment by Arman – October 27, 2011 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been enjoying Explosion Bus as well. It has a quirky charm. I think perhaps the kicker is that each new episode is followed by a live text chat with the Creator. Oh I meant creators!

Comment by Tony – October 27, 2011 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Husbands is a fantastic web series. So smart and funny and conveying a wonderful message. I highly recommend it! http://www.husbandstheseries.com

Thanks for this article. I’m going to check out the other series you recommended!

Comment by needacoke – October 27, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not really produced like these, but I enjoy The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl – http://awkwardblackgirl.com

Comment by Michael – October 27, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Awkward Black Girl is my favorite.

Comment by dani – October 27, 2011 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Love that show. And the guild. And haven’t yet watched husbands but it sounds pretty good.

Comment by Allie – October 28, 2011 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! I clicked through just to recommend Awkward Black Girl. Glad I’m not the only one who loves that show.

Comment by R – October 28, 2011 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Husbands was going to be a quick laugh, but it is so much more, yes it is very funny but also sweet & endearing and smart. Best I’ve seen in a long time.

Comment by Leanne – October 27, 2011 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Leanne, I agree. I thought Husbands would be a quick laugh. I got my laugh, but also got heart. Can’t wait for Season 2.

Comment by Kay – October 27, 2011 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HUSBANDS is amaaaaaazing, one of the best new shows, let alone web shows. It’s smart, funny, and endearing! <3

Also Aim High is pretty awesome :)

Comment by Angie – October 27, 2011 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Web Series are the future. I am hooked on Husbands and will check your other recommendations. Brad “Cheeks” Bell is a ready made star. I This isn’t a series only the the LGBT community. It is a series for anyone who enjoys exceptional writing and a great cast. Something about it reminds me of a classic sitcom. The jokes are at no ones expense they come from the situation.

Comment by Lisa – October 27, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Husbands fills me with joy.

Comment by Willow27 – October 27, 2011 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE Husbands. So many laughs, so many sweet and tender moments. Each episode got better and better – I’m in withdrawal now that it’s over. Sean, Brad and Allesandra are all such talented actors. Can’t wait for Season 2. :D

Comment by Dianne – October 27, 2011 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE Husbands – I agree with so many of the comments here: funnier than a whole lot of TV sitcoms, warm and genuinely moving. Plus – I shared it with some people who hadn’t seen it, on a bigger TV screen and even the picture quality is really impressive!
    This needs many more episodes.

Comment by smiffyjax – October 27, 2011 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Explosion Bus! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOtEOFjYHSU

Comment by katie – October 27, 2011 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that’s a pretty awkward job interview… “what’s your bloodtype?” WHAT?!

Comment by Jon – October 28, 2011 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a great piece. Please continue doing this column!!

Comment by eb4 – October 28, 2011 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My daughter watches Monster High. It’s a fun High School cartoon where the students are based on vampires, zombies, etc.

Comment by Laura – October 28, 2011 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These are great, and there are many other great ones on our site too at http://UnleashVideo.com.

Love live web series, there’s a very bright future ahead!

Comment by Jeremy Campbell – October 28, 2011 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks so much for the recommendations. I would like to add my voice of praise to Husbands. It is hilarious, timely, and well acted and I would love to see it on television or promoted to a larger audience.

Comment by Sherrie Richey – October 28, 2011 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Husband. It is funny, witty, different, yet something we can still related to.

Comment by K – October 29, 2011 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • really loving Husbands! So fresh and funny! ;D

Comment by Jen – October 29, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Umm where the heck is Web Therapy on this list?! That’s the best web series ever.

Comment by Jared – October 29, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Divine The Series. It’s got a dark supernatural intrigue and the visual style of a graphic novel. More action adventure then sitcom. One cool thing is the non linear story meaning you don’t have to watch episode 1 first but can start with number 3 if you like but the more episodes you watch the more clues you get to what’s going on. It’s sort of a thinking man’s show. You can find it here: http://www.divinetheseries.com/

Comment by Trine – November 5, 2011 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Perhaps I should clarify: it’s not a sitcom at all. It’s dark action adventure webseries.

Comment by Trine – November 5, 2011 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just found Husbands online – loved it!

Comment by Marc – November 25, 2011 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite is 13 Witches, way better than many tv show!

Comment by Robert Tefert – June 18, 2012 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post