The TVLine-Up: 5 Web Series Worth Watching

Popular Web Series ListMike O’Brien leans in to Connie Britton, Jack Black pleads ignorance regarding YouTube sensation Rebecca Black, Google+ causes a spat between newly married gay couple Cheeks and Brady, and a red-haired elf prepares to kick some mage (I’m a nerd, but I had to look this up) ass. And it’s all happening exclusively on the Interwebs!

How do I know this?

Because our TVLine-Up franchise is expanding into the world of original web content, and this week’s inaugural edition singles out five of the web series you’re likeliest to be buzzing about right now (or wish you were). Check ‘em out and then hit the comments with your own recommendations.

7 Minutes in Heaven | Belinda Carlisle claims “heaven is a place on earth,” but Mike O’Brien narrows that vague location down to his walk-in closet. The latest episode features American Horror Story heroine Connie Britton among the shoes and sweaters translating a statement about the Blue Man Group in Chinese. She’s an even better sport when O’Brien attempts to relate her role on Friday Night Lights with Bronson Pinchot’s role on the 1980s sitcom Perfect Strangers.

Red Band Trailer | The second season of this web series features lively conversation with writer/producer Diablo Cody (aka Brook Busey) in an Airstream trailer. Jack Black, the guest de jour, discusses his theory on what brought about his evolution from “actor in vulgar comedies” to “actor of family fare.” Black charmingly stumbles during the “lightning” part of the 10 questions segment, but does reveal that he’d like “a slightly heavier Emile Hirsch” to play him in a biopic.

Husbands | A typical scenario: A drunken night in Vegas leads to a marriage between actor Cheeks (Brad Bell) and ballplayer Brady Kelly (Sean Hemeon). The atypical aftermath: Out of respect for the new same-sex marriage law, the couple opts to forego an annulment and strives to make the marriage work. In this week’s episode of the series — which hails from acclaimed TV scribe Jane Espenson (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Battlestar Galactica) — Cheeks and Brady fight about what couples have been fighting about for eons (OK, really just since the dawn of Facebook): relationship status on social networking sites.

Dragon Age Redemption | An extension of the Dragon Age II video game, this series follows the Elven exploits of Tallis (Felicia Day), a sassy assassin who must capture a dangerous mage who is hellbent on destroying the world. In the third episode of this six-part series, Tallis adds another companion (Josmael, actor Masam Holden) to her posse in her search to find the evil Saarebas (Doug Jones).

Aim High | Produced by McG and starring Jackson Rathbone (Twilight), Aimee Teegarden (Friday Night Lights) and Greg Germann (Ally McBeal), this action-packed series about a teenage spy begs to be watched with a bag of extra-buttery popcorn. In Episode 3, Nick (Rathbone) goes up against a Russian mercenary (guest star Clancy Brown) while simultaneously standing up Amanda (Teegarden), the girl of his dreams. Billed as the first “social series,” viewers’ friends will be integrated into the show (via graffiti on walls or school banners) if they opt into Aim High’s Facebook application and watch through the show’s Facebook page.

1. Mitholas says:

You forgot Emma Caulfield’s “Bandwagon”.

2. if we are talking web-series…

check out http://www.secretstheseries.com! it’s a super-fun, gay-themed indie-soap!

3. George says:

I’m a fan of a lot of the web soaps. My fave is Crystal Chappell’s “Venice”

4. Melissa says:

You forgot the other Felcia Day project, The Guild (watchtheguild.com)

5. LG says:

I really enjoy watching Felicia Day’s The Guild.

6. xof1013 says:

Thrilled to see “Husbands” the Web Series mentioned in this article. I cannot recommend it enough! Co-writers Jane Espenson and Brad “Cheeks” Bell have outdone themselves with a smart, sharply witty and endearing show that leaves me wanting more, and NOW! If anyone is looking for a laugh or two – let’s be honest, how about dozens upon dozens – this is the show to watch.

7. uriel walker says:

Ooh Husbands. My fave new show. I can’t recommend it highly enough.

8. Duncan says:

The guild is great.

Explosion Bus (www.ExplosionBus.com) is my new favorite. It’s from the people who did Dr. Katz on Comedy Central, and each episode is 15 minutes long. It looks like the move to high quality programming for the internet is finally starting to really take hold.

9. verybookish says:

Love Husbands – they are hilarious.
    Love everything Felicia Day does.

10. Girard Ruddick says:

Need to add “Raisin’ Junior” to this list. The web series is just damn funny. Check it out at http://www.youtube.com/user/raisinjunior#p/u

11. Ainav says:

Glad to see this article. So many great web content out there that it gets hard to keep up.

Husbands is absolute brilliance everyone should watch it. And I agree that Bandwagon is definitely worth a mention.

12. Kristina says:

Love that you are donig web series, too! Haven’t heard of any of these, can’t wait to check ‘em out

13. Arman says:

I love Husbands. Jane Espenson is awesome.

And I love Diablo Cody. Great to see Red Band Trailer back. They took off the first season from youtube though, that’s a shame.

Although Web Therapy was better on Showtime, watching it as a webseries is still fun. New season will begin soon. Just so you know.

14. Tony says:

I’ve been enjoying Explosion Bus as well. It has a quirky charm. I think perhaps the kicker is that each new episode is followed by a live text chat with the Creator. Oh I meant creators!

15. needacoke says:

Husbands is a fantastic web series. So smart and funny and conveying a wonderful message. I highly recommend it! http://www.husbandstheseries.com

Thanks for this article. I’m going to check out the other series you recommended!

16. Michael says:

It’s not really produced like these, but I enjoy The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl – http://awkwardblackgirl.com

17. Leanne says:

I thought Husbands was going to be a quick laugh, but it is so much more, yes it is very funny but also sweet & endearing and smart. Best I’ve seen in a long time.

• Kay says:

Leanne, I agree. I thought Husbands would be a quick laugh. I got my laugh, but also got heart. Can’t wait for Season 2.

18. Angie says:

HUSBANDS is amaaaaaazing, one of the best new shows, let alone web shows. It’s smart, funny, and endearing! <3

Also Aim High is pretty awesome :)

19. Lisa says:

I think Web Series are the future. I am hooked on Husbands and will check your other recommendations. Brad “Cheeks” Bell is a ready made star. I This isn’t a series only the the LGBT community. It is a series for anyone who enjoys exceptional writing and a great cast. Something about it reminds me of a classic sitcom. The jokes are at no ones expense they come from the situation.

20. Willow27 says:

Husbands fills me with joy.

21. Dianne says:

LOVE Husbands. So many laughs, so many sweet and tender moments. Each episode got better and better – I’m in withdrawal now that it’s over. Sean, Brad and Allesandra are all such talented actors. Can’t wait for Season 2. :D

22. smiffyjax says:

I LOVE Husbands – I agree with so many of the comments here: funnier than a whole lot of TV sitcoms, warm and genuinely moving. Plus – I shared it with some people who hadn’t seen it, on a bigger TV screen and even the picture quality is really impressive!
    This needs many more episodes.

23. eb4 says:

This is a great piece. Please continue doing this column!!

24. Laura says:

My daughter watches Monster High. It’s a fun High School cartoon where the students are based on vampires, zombies, etc.

25. These are great, and there are many other great ones on our site too at http://UnleashVideo.com.

Love live web series, there’s a very bright future ahead!

26. Sherrie Richey says:

Thanks so much for the recommendations. I would like to add my voice of praise to Husbands. It is hilarious, timely, and well acted and I would love to see it on television or promoted to a larger audience.

27. K says:

I love Husband. It is funny, witty, different, yet something we can still related to.

28. Jen says:

really loving Husbands! So fresh and funny! ;D

29. Jared says:

Umm where the heck is Web Therapy on this list?! That’s the best web series ever.

30. Trine says:

I like Divine The Series. It’s got a dark supernatural intrigue and the visual style of a graphic novel. More action adventure then sitcom. One cool thing is the non linear story meaning you don’t have to watch episode 1 first but can start with number 3 if you like but the more episodes you watch the more clues you get to what’s going on. It’s sort of a thinking man’s show. You can find it here: http://www.divinetheseries.com/

31. Marc says:

Just found Husbands online – loved it!

32. Robert Tefert says:

My favorite is 13 Witches, way better than many tv show!