Exclusive

NCIS: LA Exclusive: Hetty Fires [Spoiler]!

The NCIS: Los Angeles team will be dealt quite a blow toward the end of November sweeps, when a botched assignment forces Hetty to winnow their ranks by one, TVLine has learned exclusively.

“Hetty drags out the dreadful chopping block, sharpens the blade, and she takes off Deeks’ head — figuratively,” executive producer Shane Brennan tells us of the episode airing Nov. 22, on CBS. “Yes, Deeks is fired.”

TVLine’s Law Enforcement Crushes Tournament: Sam Hanna vs. White Collar‘s Neal Caffrey!

Wait, what? Why is Deeks (played by Eric Christian Olsen) dispatched? “As you’ll see in the teaser of this episode, he screws up royally,” Brennan explains. “Hetty has no choice but to fire him. She has absolutely no choice.”

Though Deeks absorbs the recoil by returning to his roots at the LAPD, “The ramifications will be felt, especially with the Deeks-Kensi relationship,” Brennan previews. “Kensi (Daniela Ruah) takes it badly on a couple of levels.”

To the point that perhaps that she challenges the boss lady’s decision and gives Hetty a little lip? Actually… “Kensi gives Deeks a little lip,” Brennan answers, adding: “It is one not to be missed for the Kensi-Deeks fans.”

“It’s a really powerful episode with this great ‘What the hell has happened?!’ aspect to it,” Brennan continues. “But at the same time, it’s got comedy and lots of twists and turns.”

Matt’s Inside Line: NCIS: LA Boss Previews Kensi’s Backstory Reveal

It also features a nifty piece of stunt work, when Deeks finds himself “quite literally and figuratively out on a ledge, at a high-rise,” Brennan shares, noting that Olsen – oft assisted by his Navy SEAL/stuntman brother with such sequences – is “up for anything” when it comes to making the derring-do feel real.

“Eric is just loving this episode – though I don’t think the fans will like it much! And yet they will,” Brennan promises. “Eric is a fabulous actor and everything we throw at him he throws right back at us, and it’s 150-percent better than we ever imagined it would be.”

1. Alicia says:

No, god why must Hetty get rid of Deeks he gives some of the best light-hearted lines and I love him and Kensi as partners!

2. Dee says:

I assume he’s not fired for a long time? That would be disastrous.

3. christy says:

Please tell me this is not a permanent situation. I love Deeks and Kensi situation and i’m not sure i could keep on watching it without him and i’m a very loyal fan. Please Please tell me this is not another “kate” situation from NCIS

4. Lynn says:

He is my favorite part of the show. If he’s off the show I don’t think it’ll be half as good.

• Grace says:

yes so is mine, I think she will fire Deeks from the liason LAPD and hire him like a full NCIS agent.

• Gretchen says:

Wasn’t Deeks already offered an NCIS position?

• Veronica says:

Yes, he was given a referral by Hetty, plus an application to turn in whenever he felt ready to leave LAPD and become a full NCIS agent…which he has not done yet.

• Veronica says:

When Hettie thought she wouldn’t make it back, she gave him a referral and an application to use whenever he was ready to become a full NCIS agent. He hasn’t done that yet.

• Veronica says:

Sorry that reply showed up twice. My computer locked up when I was sending the first one, so I didn’t think it went.

5. Steve says:

Some worries, man. Some worries. But I hope this paves the way for Eric Christian Olsen’s return to “Community”!

• Sina says:

I would also love to see him back for a visit on community (with another song), but I don’t think they are getting rid (of Briiitta) him! He has way to many fans. I for one only started getting into the show because of Deeks’ character.

6. Aline says:

If it’s permanent I stop watching this… Deeks is my favorite!

• Veronica says:

Notice the article said it was a “teaser” of an episode. I believe it’s going to be like when they led us to believe Hettie was gone. He’s not leaving the show.

• Jennifer says:

I toally agree with you, If Deeks leaves NCIS LA, then I leave it to. Love Deeks and Kensi together!!

7. Sally says:

“Kensi gives Deeks a little lip” <— UM, BRENNAN BETTER NOT BE SCREWING WITH US. Looking forward to this.

8. Melody says:

As long as he eventually gets his job back, I’m good. I think it would be good for Deeks to go back to his roots and see what it’s as a lone wolf after being part of a great pack. Good chance for character development.

9. Kimmy says:

OMG this just scared me to death..I hope they realize that this team is perfect don’t mess with no one and destroy what they have please!

10. Lauren says:

I don’t think the firing is for long. But, if it means lots of Kensi/Deeks scenes, then bring on this story.

11. Daisy says:

The fact that it’s leaked usually means he’s not going anywhere.

12. Lara says:

I guess they had to come up with something to make it possible for Deeks and Kensi to hook up !

13. Mare says:

Good news! I hope it’s permanent. I am not a fan of his. I’d love it if he’s gone!

14. Ashley says:

This had better be a temporary firing – as in less-than-an-episode firing. While the show was sound enough during the first season, it didn’t really come together until Deeks joined the team. If Deeks is gone for a few episodes, I won’t be watching them; if he’s gone permanently then so am I.

15. Shonaille says:

I am both excited and happy about this. This is great for Deeks but it looks like they scrapped their plans for Sam, again. Not sure how I feel about that….

16. Lore says:

i hope its not permanent!! i can suffer another goobye, first Nate and now Deeks, I LOVE DEEKS!!

17. adeeksanonymous says:

It better not be permanent. if he’s gone I guarantee ratings will go down. -S

18. shannon says:

Ack! Better not be permanent. The show would have trouble recovering from that

19. Carla says:

Seriously?? That’s ridiculous, Deeks is a fab character!! I think it’s a big mistake :-(

20. Ana says:

I´m still in shock! What the hell?? I love Deeks and specially Deeks-Kensi interaction! I CAN`T LIVE without DEEKS in the serie!!!

21. blue says:

First it looked like Hetty wouldn’t be back & that other chick would take over.finally she was gone:) now this! DEEKS HAS TO STAY!!! Eric Olsen is awesome & I agree that the cast should stay as is. Everything clicks

• crowhop says:

Settle down there. There is way too much winking and teasing on Brennan’s part to consider this anything more than a temporary plot device fielded during a sweeps period. The only question is how long “temporary” will be.

• Mitzi Kotler says:

Totally agree that this is merely a Sweeps plot device, much like Heddy’s “resignation” at the end of last season.

22. Susan says:

I hope he never comes back. I hate Deeks.

• John says:

You suck

• Shauna says:

Well said, John. Susan is clearly not a fan of hunky hilarity.

However, let’s applaud dear Suze for having firm, passionate feelings about a TV character. What would this world be without arbitrary hatred of fictional things? Darn boring, I say.

23. diane says:

Excited to see this. Love Deeks and Kensi. They are actually the reason I started watching.

24. dianev says:

There is no way they will get rid of Deeks. He has become as much a part of the team as Sam and Callen. I can’t believe he could have done anything that bad on purpose…he’s either covering for someone or had to do it for the good of another. But it’s a great way to bring the Densi relationship to a head! Can’t wait….

25. Martin says:

Deeks could finally submit his application to NCIS and become an agent after Hetty fires him. That would probably lead to even more humor at the expense of the new agent.

• Becky says:

That’s what I think is going to happen. He will come back as an agent since his application is “on file” from last season.

26. Ashley says:

I want him to be fired so he can come back to Community.

27. Tammi says:

If Deeks is gone for good, so will I be. I love the rest of the cast, however, I did not join watching this show until ECO joined it.

28. Amanda Parry says:

Oh no, please don’t let it be a permanent firing, I love Deeks, he’s been an amazing part of the show and love Kensi and Deeks relationship/partnership. I will not be happy if it’s a permanent firing. *sad face*

29. derrick says:

This has to be some sort of story arc where Deeks is fired as the NCIS liason and he goes to FLETC to become a full NCIS agent.

30. Calhoun says:

I would be very unhappy if seeks leaves the show…Very unhappy!!!!!

31. Anna says:

Deeks is at least half the reason I watch this show. If they don’t bring him back I’ll stop watching. I do think they will end up using this as a way to finally turn him into an agent.

32. Laurie says:

This better be just a “November Sweeps” publicity stunt….I love the Deeks and Kennsi pair up…they make things just that much better!

33. kerri says:

Hetty is going to have to make it look like Deeks is fired so he can go undercover, but he won’t be out of the picture. He’ll be back on the team before long. Maybe as a full NCIS agent.

34. jamie says:

HOW CAN ANYONE HATE DEEKS D:
    I’m banking on the fact that this has been leaked and therefore will not be permanent.
    fingers and toes crossed.

35. Bella says:

I’m banking on Deeks being back, as he’d be missed. Nell, on the other hand, I wish she’d get fired and permanently.

36. Abby says:

what the heck..this better be legit…I love Deeks he is my absolute favorite!!! If this is for real and he’s defiantly not coming back…Im not watching sorry. Im a HUGE fan but if they are going to do this forget it

37. waithwhat says:

Since this “leak” was seen a while before the episode comes out, I suspect it’s just temporary or it’s a way for Deeks to become a probie agent. I have a feeling that Brennan is just giving us a tiiiiiny part of the total plot and what will happen next, most likely just to see what the reaction would be.

38. mary says:

NOOOOOO!!! not Deeks!!!! aww man! Love ya Deeks!! you can come be my personal cop! :)

39. Tammie says:

Well this just bites.. Marty is my man. He’s the main reason I watch the show. Can’t be permanent, right???

40. Bonnie says:

When they brought Deeks on as a regular, it added so much to the team as a whole, especially the Kensi/Deeks role. The team is much better rounded now, including the whole computer pair team. Please, please, please do not take Deeks off permanently!!! It will be such a great loss to the team. He is witty and sweet and it will leave such a hole in the entire team on the show!!!!

41. gail says:

Don’t fire Deeks for long I love the way Lending and Deeks interact

42. Mary says:

Fine: fire Deeks from NCIS~just keep him on the damn show!!!! I love his character. He and Kensie kill me week after week with their witticisms. Just remember: fans kicked back at Crim Minds after they tried to get rid of JJ and Emily and look who’s back! Just skip the blow-back and keep Deeks on the show!

43. vicki says:

If Deeks is gone then I will not have any reason to watch the show.Hes’ hot and the chemistry between hin and Kensi is great.If he goes so do I.

44. Jennifer says:

I never got into the show until Deeks’ character showed up–he adds another dimension that was just flat-out missing before. If they really do get rid of his character for more than a few episodes, I have a feeling I’ll lose interest in the show pretty fast–much as I love all of the characters, the dynamic just isn’t there without him to balance out the others. And, if they’re willing to get rid of such a great character so fast, I don’t know that I care to stay around to see who else they’ll add and then dispense with.

45. Gale says:

PLEASE don’t kill off or fire any of the staff. LL Cool J, Callan – combo is really great! Cool J is so talented! Kinsie and Deeks combo and computer combo are also great together. I’ve watched thus show since it started and like it better than NCIS; although I really like Ziva’s Israeli humor.

46. Rach says:

NCIS:LA has become so much better since Deeks has become a regular cast member.
    Plus, Deeks and Kensi are too cute for words. I’m really hoping this is temporary.
    Also, by saying “Kensi gives Deeks a little lip”, I sure hope that means a KISS, not a stern talking to.

47. Emm says:

Just like in NCIS Deeks will comeback hetty will rehire him its alot easieer than hiring a new partner for Kensi plus hetty will once she snhe sees his heroic stunt work and how unhappy kensi is

48. Greg says:

Maybe they are trying to get Ashton Kutcher from the ratings tanking Two and a Half Men.

49. Annie says:

I think they are too

50. Laurey says:

Please say its not for good. I love this show and love the way they all work together. But cant wait for the kensi/deeks scenes