NCIS: LA Exclusive: Hetty Fires [Spoiler]!

Get More: Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

The NCIS: Los Angeles team will be dealt quite a blow toward the end of November sweeps, when a botched assignment forces Hetty to winnow their ranks by one, TVLine has learned exclusively.

“Hetty drags out the dreadful chopping block, sharpens the blade, and she takes off Deeks’ head — figuratively,” executive producer Shane Brennan tells us of the episode airing Nov. 22, on CBS. “Yes, Deeks is fired.”

TVLine’s Law Enforcement Crushes Tournament: Sam Hanna vs. White Collar‘s Neal Caffrey!

Wait, what? Why is Deeks (played by Eric Christian Olsen) dispatched? “As you’ll see in the teaser of this episode, he screws up royally,” Brennan explains. “Hetty has no choice but to fire him. She has absolutely no choice.”

Though Deeks absorbs the recoil by returning to his roots at the LAPD, “The ramifications will be felt, especially with the Deeks-Kensi relationship,” Brennan previews. “Kensi (Daniela Ruah) takes it badly on a couple of levels.”

To the point that perhaps that she challenges the boss lady’s decision and gives Hetty a little lip? Actually… “Kensi gives Deeks a little lip,” Brennan answers, adding: “It is one not to be missed for the Kensi-Deeks fans.”

“It’s a really powerful episode with this great ‘What the hell has happened?!’ aspect to it,” Brennan continues. “But at the same time, it’s got comedy and lots of twists and turns.”

Matt’s Inside Line: NCIS: LA Boss Previews Kensi’s Backstory Reveal

It also features a nifty piece of stunt work, when Deeks finds himself “quite literally and figuratively out on a ledge, at a high-rise,” Brennan shares, noting that Olsen – oft assisted by his Navy SEAL/stuntman brother with such sequences – is “up for anything” when it comes to making the derring-do feel real.

“Eric is just loving this episode – though I don’t think the fans will like it much! And yet they will,” Brennan promises. “Eric is a fabulous actor and everything we throw at him he throws right back at us, and it’s 150-percent better than we ever imagined it would be.”

Comments (123)

• No, god why must Hetty get rid of Deeks he gives some of the best light-hearted lines and I love him and Kensi as partners!

Comment by Alicia – October 27, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s not going to, Deeks is the LAPD liason, much like Ziva was. So she’s simply going to rehire him as a NCIS ‘probie’ agent. All is good.

Comment by Aleck – October 27, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh I would be so upset if Deeks was gone for real. He is funny and so cute.

Comment by Ginger – October 27, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i completely agree! Deek just HAS to come back or there will be HELL to pay!! LOL! that rhymed..i think!

Comment by !K_D! – November 20, 2011 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, OK ;)

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 27, 2011 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i really hope she does rehire him i love him too much he cant leave!!

Comment by Ellen – November 21, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with you Alicia! Can’t wait to see what happens though between Kensi & Deeks?! And considering it’s around the holidays when there isn’t many new episodes on during that time, it certainly will be a cliff hanger depending on how long they make us wait?!

Comment by StarrBaby2007 – October 27, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Does anyone besides me think that Hettie and Callan are somehow related.

Comment by Mark – October 27, 2011 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree.

Comment by Mary – October 27, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with you. She knows too much about Callan’s past to not be related in some manner.

Comment by Joan Schroeder-Boyce – October 27, 2011 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree! Hettie knows a little too much about Callan. I wouldn’t be surprised if she turns out to be his grandmother!

Comment by leenie – October 27, 2011 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think Lauren Hunter is the daughter of Hetty.

Deeks can go, I think you very comedian. Do not like it.

Comment by april – October 27, 2011 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I really hope Deeks doesn’t go. He is the character that finally made the cast “gel” and start growing. Somehow adding him has made the whole cast fit together so much better than ever before. (Not saying they were bad before, but it still felt like a fledgling show feeling its way a bit until he came.)

Comment by Sheri – November 2, 2011 08:13 AM PDT
      • Absolutely !

Comment by Vickie – October 28, 2011 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Jess – October 29, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hey, let the writers do their thing….that’s why they get paid the big bucks and do a great job. Just please don’t let Deeks, Eric Christian Olsen, go. He and Kensi have tough, loving, caring, and humoristic characters enjoyed by many.

Love you NCIS LA & NCIS

Comment by rosie sanchez – October 27, 2011 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I assume he’s not fired for a long time? That would be disastrous.

Comment by Dee – October 27, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please tell me this is not a permanent situation. I love Deeks and Kensi situation and i’m not sure i could keep on watching it without him and i’m a very loyal fan. Please Please tell me this is not another “kate” situation from NCIS

Comment by christy – October 27, 2011 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He is my favorite part of the show. If he’s off the show I don’t think it’ll be half as good.

Comment by Lynn – October 27, 2011 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes so is mine, I think she will fire Deeks from the liason LAPD and hire him like a full NCIS agent.

Comment by Grace – October 27, 2011 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wasn’t Deeks already offered an NCIS position?

Comment by Gretchen – October 27, 2011 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes, he was given a referral by Hetty, plus an application to turn in whenever he felt ready to leave LAPD and become a full NCIS agent…which he has not done yet.

Comment by Veronica – October 27, 2011 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • When Hettie thought she wouldn’t make it back, she gave him a referral and an application to use whenever he was ready to become a full NCIS agent. He hasn’t done that yet.

Comment by Veronica – October 27, 2011 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Sorry that reply showed up twice. My computer locked up when I was sending the first one, so I didn’t think it went.

Comment by Veronica – October 27, 2011 05:48 PM PDT
  • Some worries, man. Some worries. But I hope this paves the way for Eric Christian Olsen’s return to “Community”!

Comment by Steve – October 27, 2011 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would also love to see him back for a visit on community (with another song), but I don’t think they are getting rid (of Briiitta) him! He has way to many fans. I for one only started getting into the show because of Deeks’ character.

Comment by Sina – October 27, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me too. I liked NCIS: LA but did not watch it regularly until Deeks came on board.

Comment by Dee – October 27, 2011 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it’s permanent I stop watching this… Deeks is my favorite!

Comment by Aline – October 27, 2011 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Notice the article said it was a “teaser” of an episode. I believe it’s going to be like when they led us to believe Hettie was gone. He’s not leaving the show.

Comment by Veronica – October 27, 2011 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I toally agree with you, If Deeks leaves NCIS LA, then I leave it to. Love Deeks and Kensi together!!

Comment by Jennifer – October 31, 2011 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Kensi gives Deeks a little lip” <— UM, BRENNAN BETTER NOT BE SCREWING WITH US. Looking forward to this.

Comment by Sally – October 27, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! I hope it means what we think it means?!

Comment by StarrBaby2007 – October 27, 2011 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Had the same thought… maybe she gives him a little of BOTH lips…?

Comment by KMG – October 27, 2011 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as he eventually gets his job back, I’m good. I think it would be good for Deeks to go back to his roots and see what it’s as a lone wolf after being part of a great pack. Good chance for character development.

Comment by Melody – October 27, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I enjoyed Deeks when he was undercover.

Comment by Sally – October 27, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG this just scared me to death..I hope they realize that this team is perfect don’t mess with no one and destroy what they have please!

Comment by Kimmy – October 27, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think the firing is for long. But, if it means lots of Kensi/Deeks scenes, then bring on this story.

Comment by Lauren – October 27, 2011 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The fact that it’s leaked usually means he’s not going anywhere.

Comment by Daisy – October 27, 2011 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess they had to come up with something to make it possible for Deeks and Kensi to hook up !

Comment by Lara – October 27, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good news! I hope it’s permanent. I am not a fan of his. I’d love it if he’s gone!

Comment by Mare – October 27, 2011 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This had better be a temporary firing – as in less-than-an-episode firing. While the show was sound enough during the first season, it didn’t really come together until Deeks joined the team. If Deeks is gone for a few episodes, I won’t be watching them; if he’s gone permanently then so am I.

Comment by Ashley – October 27, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am both excited and happy about this. This is great for Deeks but it looks like they scrapped their plans for Sam, again. Not sure how I feel about that….

Comment by Shonaille – October 27, 2011 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i hope its not permanent!! i can suffer another goobye, first Nate and now Deeks, I LOVE DEEKS!!

Comment by Lore – October 27, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It better not be permanent. if he’s gone I guarantee ratings will go down. -S

Comment by adeeksanonymous – October 27, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ack! Better not be permanent. The show would have trouble recovering from that

Comment by shannon – October 27, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously?? That’s ridiculous, Deeks is a fab character!! I think it’s a big mistake :-(

Comment by Carla – October 27, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I´m still in shock! What the hell?? I love Deeks and specially Deeks-Kensi interaction! I CAN`T LIVE without DEEKS in the serie!!!

Comment by Ana – October 27, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First it looked like Hetty wouldn’t be back & that other chick would take over.finally she was gone:) now this! DEEKS HAS TO STAY!!! Eric Olsen is awesome & I agree that the cast should stay as is. Everything clicks

Comment by blue – October 27, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Settle down there. There is way too much winking and teasing on Brennan’s part to consider this anything more than a temporary plot device fielded during a sweeps period. The only question is how long “temporary” will be.

Comment by crowhop – October 27, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally agree that this is merely a Sweeps plot device, much like Heddy’s “resignation” at the end of last season.

Comment by Mitzi Kotler – October 27, 2011 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope he never comes back. I hate Deeks.

Comment by Susan – October 27, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You suck

Comment by John – October 27, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well said, John. Susan is clearly not a fan of hunky hilarity.

However, let’s applaud dear Suze for having firm, passionate feelings about a TV character. What would this world be without arbitrary hatred of fictional things? Darn boring, I say.

Comment by Shauna – November 2, 2011 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excited to see this. Love Deeks and Kensi. They are actually the reason I started watching.

Comment by diane – October 27, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is no way they will get rid of Deeks. He has become as much a part of the team as Sam and Callen. I can’t believe he could have done anything that bad on purpose…he’s either covering for someone or had to do it for the good of another. But it’s a great way to bring the Densi relationship to a head! Can’t wait….

Comment by dianev – October 27, 2011 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deeks could finally submit his application to NCIS and become an agent after Hetty fires him. That would probably lead to even more humor at the expense of the new agent.

Comment by Martin – October 27, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what I think is going to happen. He will come back as an agent since his application is “on file” from last season.

Comment by Becky – October 27, 2011 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want him to be fired so he can come back to Community.

Comment by Ashley – October 27, 2011 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Deeks is gone for good, so will I be. I love the rest of the cast, however, I did not join watching this show until ECO joined it.

Comment by Tammi – October 27, 2011 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh no, please don’t let it be a permanent firing, I love Deeks, he’s been an amazing part of the show and love Kensi and Deeks relationship/partnership. I will not be happy if it’s a permanent firing. *sad face*

Comment by Amanda Parry – October 27, 2011 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This has to be some sort of story arc where Deeks is fired as the NCIS liason and he goes to FLETC to become a full NCIS agent.

Comment by derrick – October 27, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would be very unhappy if seeks leaves the show…Very unhappy!!!!!

Comment by Calhoun – October 27, 2011 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deeks is at least half the reason I watch this show. If they don’t bring him back I’ll stop watching. I do think they will end up using this as a way to finally turn him into an agent.

Comment by Anna – October 27, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This better be just a “November Sweeps” publicity stunt….I love the Deeks and Kennsi pair up…they make things just that much better!

Comment by Laurie – October 27, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hetty is going to have to make it look like Deeks is fired so he can go undercover, but he won’t be out of the picture. He’ll be back on the team before long. Maybe as a full NCIS agent.

Comment by kerri – October 27, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HOW CAN ANYONE HATE DEEKS D:
    I’m banking on the fact that this has been leaked and therefore will not be permanent.
    fingers and toes crossed.

Comment by jamie – October 27, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m banking on Deeks being back, as he’d be missed. Nell, on the other hand, I wish she’d get fired and permanently.

Comment by Bella – October 27, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what the heck..this better be legit…I love Deeks he is my absolute favorite!!! If this is for real and he’s defiantly not coming back…Im not watching sorry. Im a HUGE fan but if they are going to do this forget it

Comment by Abby – October 27, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since this “leak” was seen a while before the episode comes out, I suspect it’s just temporary or it’s a way for Deeks to become a probie agent. I have a feeling that Brennan is just giving us a tiiiiiny part of the total plot and what will happen next, most likely just to see what the reaction would be.

Comment by waithwhat – October 27, 2011 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOO!!! not Deeks!!!! aww man! Love ya Deeks!! you can come be my personal cop! :)

Comment by mary – October 27, 2011 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well this just bites.. Marty is my man. He’s the main reason I watch the show. Can’t be permanent, right???

Comment by Tammie – October 27, 2011 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Deeks and Hetty are the only two reasons I ever tune in; I could take or leave the rest of the cast.

Comment by ChrisGa – October 27, 2011 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When they brought Deeks on as a regular, it added so much to the team as a whole, especially the Kensi/Deeks role. The team is much better rounded now, including the whole computer pair team. Please, please, please do not take Deeks off permanently!!! It will be such a great loss to the team. He is witty and sweet and it will leave such a hole in the entire team on the show!!!!

Comment by Bonnie – October 27, 2011 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t fire Deeks for long I love the way Lending and Deeks interact

Comment by gail – October 27, 2011 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fine: fire Deeks from NCIS~just keep him on the damn show!!!! I love his character. He and Kensie kill me week after week with their witticisms. Just remember: fans kicked back at Crim Minds after they tried to get rid of JJ and Emily and look who’s back! Just skip the blow-back and keep Deeks on the show!

Comment by Mary – October 27, 2011 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Deeks is gone then I will not have any reason to watch the show.Hes’ hot and the chemistry between hin and Kensi is great.If he goes so do I.

Comment by vicki – October 27, 2011 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never got into the show until Deeks’ character showed up–he adds another dimension that was just flat-out missing before. If they really do get rid of his character for more than a few episodes, I have a feeling I’ll lose interest in the show pretty fast–much as I love all of the characters, the dynamic just isn’t there without him to balance out the others. And, if they’re willing to get rid of such a great character so fast, I don’t know that I care to stay around to see who else they’ll add and then dispense with.

Comment by Jennifer – October 27, 2011 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE don’t kill off or fire any of the staff. LL Cool J, Callan – combo is really great! Cool J is so talented! Kinsie and Deeks combo and computer combo are also great together. I’ve watched thus show since it started and like it better than NCIS; although I really like Ziva’s Israeli humor.

Comment by Gale – October 27, 2011 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NCIS:LA has become so much better since Deeks has become a regular cast member.
    Plus, Deeks and Kensi are too cute for words. I’m really hoping this is temporary.
    Also, by saying “Kensi gives Deeks a little lip”, I sure hope that means a KISS, not a stern talking to.

Comment by Rach – October 27, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just like in NCIS Deeks will comeback hetty will rehire him its alot easieer than hiring a new partner for Kensi plus hetty will once she snhe sees his heroic stunt work and how unhappy kensi is

Comment by Emm – October 27, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe they are trying to get Ashton Kutcher from the ratings tanking Two and a Half Men.

Comment by Greg – October 27, 2011 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they are too

Comment by Annie – October 27, 2011 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please say its not for good. I love this show and love the way they all work together. But cant wait for the kensi/deeks scenes

Comment by Laurey – October 27, 2011 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please don’t mess with a good thing…keep Deeks, he’s one of the best and lends much to the show!!!!!

Comment by Doris – October 28, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post