Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Good Wife, Once Upon a Time, Supernatural, Gossip Girl and More!

Will Jennifer Carpenter bring Dex appeal to The Good Wife? Are Sam and Dean due to get involved in another fine Ness? And who is joining the crusade to out-snark Gossip Girl? Read on for those answers, plus other teases from TV’s hottest shows.

The Good Wife | If you were among those hoping for Jennifer Carpenter to play a love/lust interest for Kalinda… I am here to dash your (dirty) dreams. Instead, I have learned this about the Dexter vet’s role: In a 180-degree turn from Deb Morgan, J-Carp will guest-star as a soft-spoken university professor who is fired due to her conservative religious and political beliefs. Alicia and Caitlin (Anna Camp) represent the prof in a suit against Louis Canning (Emmy nominee Michael J. Fox) and his firm. Robert and Michelle King, the creators of the acclaimed CBS drama, say of the casting, “We loved Jennifer in Dexter and we were especially thrilled to see her play such a different role: a committed believer who doesn’t swear once.”

The Good Wife Exclusive: Amy Sedaris Joins Cast as Eli Gold’s [Spoiler]

Supernatural | Should Sam and Dean get fitted for zoot suits? It appears that the CW series is booking a trip to the 1940s or thereabouts, seeing as a casting call has gone out for the role of – wait for it – Eliot Ness. Yes, as in the famous G-man who headed up The Untouchables. Specifically, the show wants an actor in his 40s who presents “an unyielding regality” and in a sharp suit is “the epitome of cool unflappability.” Oh, why am I still talking – y’all are busy imaging the Winchesters in zoot suits. Wakey-wakey!

Gossip Girl | A pair of shockers are coming up on The CW’s veteran Monday drama. For one, Diana (played by the ageless Elizabeth Hurley) is about to take on a surprising new hire at her website poised to rival Gossip Girl. Secondly, something tells me Blair is going to regret holding that bridesmaid competition, based on how the contest shakes out.

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Gossip Girl, Once Upon a Time, Glee and More

Burn Notice | This morning I cued up the Burn Notice midseason premiere, which airs Nov. 3 on USA Network and picks up with Michael very begrudgingly yet completely under the thumb of big new baddie Anson Fullerton (played with zeal by Jere Burns). While Michael awaits word from Agent Pearce (Lauren Stamile) on whether he can keep his CIA clearance, Fullerton compels him to hunt down the creator of a “virus” that can wipe out, wholesale, sensitive information from a large computer network – say, the CIA’s! The hour also feature a caper involving Jesse and Maddie, and a steely turn by The Event‘s Ian Anthony Dale. I’m kinda done with Michael’s narration/”espionage tips” – seriously, who among us doesn’t know to blow something up at the front door of a compound to sneak in the back? – but I do believe the show is back on track.

Once Upon a Time Exclusive First Look: What Did the Curse Cost the Evil Queen?

Once Upon a Time | In Episode 2 of ABC’s fun new drama (airing Sundays at 8/7c), viewers will meet the Evil Queen’s Magic Mirror, played by Breaking Bad‘s Giancarlo Esposito. And make no mistake, this colorful character is no mere piece of glass in a gilded frame. “The Magic Mirror,” offers Lana Parilla, “is [the Evil Queen's] inner voice. It’s almost like truth… like her subconscious… like the part of the brain that doesn’t lie.” As such, the Queen uses her reflective confidante to not only ” see what’s going on in the Enchanted Forest, to see what Snow White’s doing and where she is,” says Parilla, “but also to seek answers and some truth.” Wait, isn’t this guy the one who in essence put Snow in the coffin in the first place?

A Gifted Man | Now that we have met Eriq La Salle’s Dr. “E-Mo” Morris, a rather chill character, you may be surprised to know that he, like Michael, may be harboring a surprising truth of his own. “He definitely has a secret, and that makes him a really interesting character to me,” La Salle says. “He lives life to the fullest and is motivated by who he is and some of the secrets that he’s holding.” But for the immediate future, expect to only see the brilliant neuropsychiatrist’s softer, studlier side. “He has a very active social life,” La Salle almost brags. “I definitely see him as a bit of a ladies’ man.”

If there’s a show or hot topic you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around! (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. Melanie says:

Winchester – zoot suit . . . . I’m sorry, Matt, did you say something after that?
    ;)

• Carrie says:

Yeah, that sounds awesome. I would love to see them in the 40s. :)

• Carol says:

Thats definitely an image I’m looking forward to seeing. I know it would never happen but the casting call sounds exactly like NCIS’s Jethro Gibbs/Mark Harmon. I could see him pulling off Elliot Ness.

• Ann says:

oh my how amazing they will be in those suits, but they are hot wearing anything, or with nothing….
      Love the show…

2. Liz says:

So no wedding for Blair?

3. Viviane says:

I miss young Mary and young John. Is there a chance to see them this season on Supernatural. Seasons 4 and 5 were my favorites because of them. I love the actors and the characters.

• Ann says:

Yes John is HOT too, he is gone now but with SUPERNATURAL u never know… We love the show and never miss it, if we r out we record it after all the years of the show we have not missed one episode. We Love it!!!

4. Selen says:

1940s and Eliot Ness – sounds great, I hope they find an actor who can do him justice.

5. Lisa says:

Please let Sam in Dean have a sexy suit on.lol
    Ok back to the plot what the hell is going on with this episode?
    I won’t jump the gun till I see it but this should be interesting.

6. xav says:

I’m actually more excited to see Jennifer Carpenter play someone completely different from Deb than I would be to see her flirt with Kalinda.

7. Jamie says:

Matt,

The “Gossip Girl” description on the CW press release say ALL her former minions.

Is that really the case?

8. Alicia says:

Thanks a lot Matt, you dream-dasher… s’alright though, the JCarp news is still great :)
    While we’re at it, is Anna Camp joining TGW with some kind of regularity or is this next episode with her just a one shot? Caitlin seems like she’d bring some fun to LG, and Ms. Camp plays delightfully ditzy so well (that regionals judge on Glee, the reverend’s wife on TB).

9. Chloé says:

Blair wedding again? Why spending so much time for a doomed wedding anyway. So much wasted potential. They can show us 10 episodes of this Blair and a GUEST wedding and not write any “happy” Chair Storyline?
    I guess, Gossip girl is an old souvenir now. I’m bored.

10. Brittany says:

When you say “I do believe the show is back on track” about Burn Notice I’m assuming that means you didn’t like the first half of the season and that it’s better now; is this right? I hope so, because I didn’t enjoy the first half at all! =(

11. Carla says:

Ooooh, so will Penelope win? Or Nelly Yuki? Those are the two girls I could see Blair least wanting at her wedding (not that it’s actually happening). We’ll see. Glad she and S are on good terms right now so she doesn’t have to hold Maid of Honor tryouts as well…

12. Dawn says:

Timothy Olyphant !!!

13. Dawn says:

To play Eliot Ness. Oops !

14. Susannah says:

Wanna bet Martha works for Canning?

15. Mark says:

To say “dirty” dream seems a little insensitive. Kalinda is an established bisexual character. Her hooking up with an attractive girl isn’t part of some male fantasy but because of who her character is.

16. bcmom5 says:

Burn Notice has never been ‘off track’. I like Michaels VO they are part of show. It would be weird to not have them. Can’t wait for the rest of the season on Nov. 3rd. :)

17. Paul says:

I like Burn Notice & love Sharon Gless…. now if only the writers would give her material that could showcase her talents!!!

18. Jedaqia says:

We need to see Cas in zoot suit. :-) If all three of them in 1940s…yesss!!!!

19. Gill says:

Wouldn’t Eliot Ness and the Untouchables be more about the 20s and not the 40’s. Prohibition, speakeasies, Al Capone etc.

20. Kate says:

Dean in a zoot suit…YUM!

21. kathy says:

Matt, In reading your intro. paragraph all I could think about was the ending of each Soap episode.