FX Acquires Charlie Sheen's Comeback Vehicle, Anger Management - Will You Watch?

Charlie Sheen’s new comedy Anger Management has been picked up by FX, the network announced late Thursday.

The cabler has ordered 10 episodes of the sitcom, loosely based on the Joe Roth-produced 2003 feature starring Jack Nicholson and Adam Sandler, to premiere in summer 2012. As previously reported, comedy vet Bruce Helford (George LopezThe Drew Carey Show) will serve as showrunner.

“We think that Bruce Helford, Joe Roth and Charlie Sheen have come up with a wonderful, hilarious vehicle for Charlie’s acting talents — and a character we are very much looking forward to seeing him play,” said FX prez John Landgraf. “Two and a Half Men [reruns have] been an outstanding component of FX’s schedule for the past 14 months, and we have every confidence that Anger Management will soon be as well.”

Over the summer, Sheen said he chose to follow up his rocky run on Two and a Half Men with Anger Management because of both the “great concept” and the opportunity to have “real ownership in the series” and “a certain amount of creative control.”

There’s no word if Sheen’s contract included a morality clause. Our guess is it did.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: News

1. Jean-Jeanio says:

Just please no laugh track

2. Lia says:

I think this could be quite good…at least better than the new and crappy Two and 1/2 men

3. charles says:

In your face Michael Ausiello! in your face!! you charlie sheen hater

4. sandee says:

FX is the perfect place for Anger Management. They can be even more risque than broadcast TV.

5. Jamie says:

I don’t get why he’d do cable. Would he even get 10% of what he made on CBS?

• Gretchen says:

He received a nice settlement from CBS. Not like he’s some unknown, I’m sure he’d rather do a show where he has control with a smaller audience than a giant show with the likes of Lorre.

• Kristina says:

I think it’s more likely his options are slim at the moment.

• Gretchen says:

Doubtful. He’s a big name.

Are all stars of cable shows there because of slim options? What a silly comment.

• jj says:

i don’t necessarily think its the case for sheen, but some actors actually want to do quality work and don’t just think about big paycheck. not EVERYone in hollywood is a whore. also, you find a lot of older stars end up on television (especially women) because the industry in america does not like to produce movies with or about older people. Hollywood has an unhealthy obsession with youth and beauty. Nothing wrong with youth and beauty but there is more in the world than that. One reason why England is known for quality projects is because (very generally) they care more about talent and quality than hollywood. the british aren’t immediately critical and repulsed bc someone doesn’t fit into an some ridiculous archetype. We also tend to reward the uneducated idiots in our country and deride the intelligentsia. Oh, yes, the US is the best country in the world. God bless america and no place else!

6. How many grams of rock can Zombie Charlie Sheen bang down? Put on your party face and see at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2011/10/09-countdown-to-halloween-charlie-sheen.html on the Countdown to Halloween with The Zombie Walk of Fame!

7. Annabelle says:

NO WAY!!! Ugh, sick of the boozing, womanizing crap…if he was good at acting he’d portray something a little harder than a more tame version of himself.

• Robin says:

You are stupid, he has portrayed far more different characters in all his career and this new show character will be different to Charlie Harper (who yeah was near his real persona..at least public persona..we don’t really know actors). Try something else to bitch..it is pathetic.

8. GaysWithOpinions says:

You couldn’t blow me to watch this show, or anything with him in it. Major bad decision on FX’s part.

9. Kira says:

I’d rather stick hot pokers in my eyes.

10. justme says:

Charlie Sheen will be great at his new role in “Anger Management”. Soooooooo funny. He’s quick, talented and hey, everyone loves him. As for “gayswithopinions” comment. Who cares! Charlie is soooo cute that no doubt some gays go for him. We straight people love him. If you don’t like him, “don’t watch!”. WE LOVE CHARLIE!

11. mmartian says:

I doubt it, not unless FX lowers its asking price for a DIRECTV pickup. To ask for a price hike that size in this economy is just plain stupid especially with them KNOWING the cost will be passed on to the consumer. Thank GOD Directv didnt fall for it. I will be picking up SOA and AHS on DVD next year.

12. Juliet says:

Awesome news, of course i will watch ! On FX with this team it could rock..can’t wait to watch it actually.

13. WB Frog says:

Yeah… gonna watch. His personal life means nothing to me.

14. D says:

“A sense of ownership of the series” is code for “Come in high, drunk, or don’t come in at all anytime I want.”

That being said, I may watch. I’m hoping it’s single cam. Celebrity worship, and its inverse, celebrity demonization is one of truest signs of mental disability and patheticness.

15. Bella says:

Nope. Won’t watch it. Probably it will take a long time before I watch anything with Charlie Sheen in it again. It’s just like Lindsay Lohan. They’re off-screen behavior overshadows their work to such an extent that you can’t watch them onscreen without thinking about the total messes they’ve made in their personal lives.

• A.R. says:

I feel the same way. And, in my opinion, there’s nothing in Sheen’s performances or talent that I don’t think a dozen or more actors could do and offer just as capably. (While sober. And not mistreating women.)

16. Cari says:

I find it so funny that the holier than thous on here won’t watch it because of his off screen behavior. Geez I hope you never make a mistake in life. And the last time I checked only God should be doing the judging. I will definitely be watching! Go Charlie! Good for you for changing your life around. BTW – the new two and a half men make me physically sick. I am so sick of the nudity, the nasty humor and the whinning. I quit watching after the 3rd episode. They are pulling at straws now.

17. Riley says:

I think this is a good move. It’ll give him a chance to repair his reputation. One thing I learnt from the gossip mags is that despite everything, Sheen was always professional, turned up for work, treated the crew well. It was just Chuck Lorre’s ire which he reaped.

I’m curious to see what he does with the material. Not a fan of 2.5, but I loved Sheen’s work in Hot Shots.

18. Shirley Ann Schwarzer says:

I will definitely watch Charlie’s new show. I watch the reruns every nite with Charlie & the rest of the cast. I’ve watched the new Two & a Half Men with Ashton Kutcher, I don’t really like the show, & I really don’t like him, although I luv the rest of the cast. He’s certainly no “Charlie”. I don’t know if it will last.

19. mark says:

FX knows there’s a market for guys who love guys who beat up women and get rewarded for it. I’m sure it will do well, the same losers who actually gave sheen money to see his “live show” are the same loser who will tune in to watch this show.

20. A. Non says:

Two and a half Men is over, Chuck L. Screwed up royaly. I never did like chuck L. personally. I am a producer and have been for over 34 years. I have never seen such a suck and extremley greedy producer. Chew on it Chuck L.