FX Acquires Charlie Sheen's Comeback Vehicle, Anger Management – Will You Watch?

Get More: News

Charlie Sheen’s new comedy Anger Management has been picked up by FX, the network announced late Thursday.

The cabler has ordered 10 episodes of the sitcom, loosely based on the Joe Roth-produced 2003 feature starring Jack Nicholson and Adam Sandler, to premiere in summer 2012. As previously reported, comedy vet Bruce Helford (George LopezThe Drew Carey Show) will serve as showrunner.

“We think that Bruce Helford, Joe Roth and Charlie Sheen have come up with a wonderful, hilarious vehicle for Charlie’s acting talents — and a character we are very much looking forward to seeing him play,” said FX prez John Landgraf. “Two and a Half Men [reruns have] been an outstanding component of FX’s schedule for the past 14 months, and we have every confidence that Anger Management will soon be as well.”

Over the summer, Sheen said he chose to follow up his rocky run on Two and a Half Men with Anger Management because of both the “great concept” and the opportunity to have “real ownership in the series” and “a certain amount of creative control.”

There’s no word if Sheen’s contract included a morality clause. Our guess is it did.

Comments (31)

• Just please no laugh track

Comment by Jean-Jeanio – October 27, 2011 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this could be quite good…at least better than the new and crappy Two and 1/2 men

Comment by Lia – October 27, 2011 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In your face Michael Ausiello! in your face!! you charlie sheen hater

Comment by charles – October 27, 2011 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FX is the perfect place for Anger Management. They can be even more risque than broadcast TV.

Comment by sandee – October 27, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get why he’d do cable. Would he even get 10% of what he made on CBS?

Comment by Jamie – October 27, 2011 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He received a nice settlement from CBS. Not like he’s some unknown, I’m sure he’d rather do a show where he has control with a smaller audience than a giant show with the likes of Lorre.

Comment by Gretchen – October 27, 2011 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think it’s more likely his options are slim at the moment.

Comment by Kristina – October 27, 2011 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Doubtful. He’s a big name.

Are all stars of cable shows there because of slim options? What a silly comment.

Comment by Gretchen – October 28, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • i don’t necessarily think its the case for sheen, but some actors actually want to do quality work and don’t just think about big paycheck. not EVERYone in hollywood is a whore. also, you find a lot of older stars end up on television (especially women) because the industry in america does not like to produce movies with or about older people. Hollywood has an unhealthy obsession with youth and beauty. Nothing wrong with youth and beauty but there is more in the world than that. One reason why England is known for quality projects is because (very generally) they care more about talent and quality than hollywood. the british aren’t immediately critical and repulsed bc someone doesn’t fit into an some ridiculous archetype. We also tend to reward the uneducated idiots in our country and deride the intelligentsia. Oh, yes, the US is the best country in the world. God bless america and no place else!

Comment by jj – October 28, 2011 01:52 PM PDT
  • How many grams of rock can Zombie Charlie Sheen bang down? Put on your party face and see at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2011/10/09-countdown-to-halloween-charlie-sheen.html on the Countdown to Halloween with The Zombie Walk of Fame!

Comment by Brandt Hardin – October 27, 2011 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO WAY!!! Ugh, sick of the boozing, womanizing crap…if he was good at acting he’d portray something a little harder than a more tame version of himself.

Comment by Annabelle – October 27, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are stupid, he has portrayed far more different characters in all his career and this new show character will be different to Charlie Harper (who yeah was near his real persona..at least public persona..we don’t really know actors). Try something else to bitch..it is pathetic.

Comment by Robin – October 27, 2011 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You couldn’t blow me to watch this show, or anything with him in it. Major bad decision on FX’s part.

Comment by GaysWithOpinions – October 27, 2011 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh well in this case GOODBYE you will not be missed, don’t worry.

Comment by Reality check – October 27, 2011 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What the phuck are you talking about? You can’t actually be serious about thinking this is a good idea.

Comment by GaysWithOpinions – October 27, 2011 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think it is an awesome decision

Comment by Reality check – October 27, 2011 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d rather stick hot pokers in my eyes.

Comment by Kira – October 27, 2011 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • PLEASE DO IT

Comment by Kira : it is soon the end for her...hahahaha – October 27, 2011 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charlie Sheen will be great at his new role in “Anger Management”. Soooooooo funny. He’s quick, talented and hey, everyone loves him. As for “gayswithopinions” comment. Who cares! Charlie is soooo cute that no doubt some gays go for him. We straight people love him. If you don’t like him, “don’t watch!”. WE LOVE CHARLIE!

Comment by justme – October 27, 2011 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I doubt it, not unless FX lowers its asking price for a DIRECTV pickup. To ask for a price hike that size in this economy is just plain stupid especially with them KNOWING the cost will be passed on to the consumer. Thank GOD Directv didnt fall for it. I will be picking up SOA and AHS on DVD next year.

Comment by mmartian – October 27, 2011 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome news, of course i will watch ! On FX with this team it could rock..can’t wait to watch it actually.

Comment by Juliet – October 27, 2011 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah… gonna watch. His personal life means nothing to me.

Comment by WB Frog – October 28, 2011 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pass.

Comment by SAM – October 28, 2011 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “A sense of ownership of the series” is code for “Come in high, drunk, or don’t come in at all anytime I want.”

That being said, I may watch. I’m hoping it’s single cam. Celebrity worship, and its inverse, celebrity demonization is one of truest signs of mental disability and patheticness.

Comment by D – October 28, 2011 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nope. Won’t watch it. Probably it will take a long time before I watch anything with Charlie Sheen in it again. It’s just like Lindsay Lohan. They’re off-screen behavior overshadows their work to such an extent that you can’t watch them onscreen without thinking about the total messes they’ve made in their personal lives.

Comment by Bella – October 28, 2011 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel the same way. And, in my opinion, there’s nothing in Sheen’s performances or talent that I don’t think a dozen or more actors could do and offer just as capably. (While sober. And not mistreating women.)

Comment by A.R. – October 28, 2011 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find it so funny that the holier than thous on here won’t watch it because of his off screen behavior. Geez I hope you never make a mistake in life. And the last time I checked only God should be doing the judging. I will definitely be watching! Go Charlie! Good for you for changing your life around. BTW – the new two and a half men make me physically sick. I am so sick of the nudity, the nasty humor and the whinning. I quit watching after the 3rd episode. They are pulling at straws now.

Comment by Cari – October 28, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this is a good move. It’ll give him a chance to repair his reputation. One thing I learnt from the gossip mags is that despite everything, Sheen was always professional, turned up for work, treated the crew well. It was just Chuck Lorre’s ire which he reaped.

I’m curious to see what he does with the material. Not a fan of 2.5, but I loved Sheen’s work in Hot Shots.

Comment by Riley – October 28, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will definitely watch Charlie’s new show. I watch the reruns every nite with Charlie & the rest of the cast. I’ve watched the new Two & a Half Men with Ashton Kutcher, I don’t really like the show, & I really don’t like him, although I luv the rest of the cast. He’s certainly no “Charlie”. I don’t know if it will last.

Comment by Shirley Ann Schwarzer – October 28, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FX knows there’s a market for guys who love guys who beat up women and get rewarded for it. I’m sure it will do well, the same losers who actually gave sheen money to see his “live show” are the same loser who will tune in to watch this show.

Comment by mark – October 30, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Two and a half Men is over, Chuck L. Screwed up royaly. I never did like chuck L. personally. I am a producer and have been for over 34 years. I have never seen such a suck and extremley greedy producer. Chew on it Chuck L.

Comment by A. Non – November 7, 2011 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post