Foul Ball! How Tonight's World Series Rain-Out Might Affect Fringe and Chuck

This might make baseball — and Chuck and Fringe — fans want to charge the mound!

Due to inclement weather in St. Louis, Game 6 of the World Series has been pushed back to Thursday, meaning a potential tie-breaking Game 7 would air — gasp! — Friday night. So, what does all of this mean for Peter’s return to Fox’s Fringe and the premiere of Chuck on NBC?

Sadly, fans awaiting Joshua Jackson’s full-fledged return to the sci-fi drama may have to bide their time just a little bit longer, as Fox tells TVLine they would bump the broadcast if there’s a Game 7 (which will begin at 7:30 ET).

Chuck‘s fifth and final opener, meanwhile, would end up airing opposite a possible Game 7, as would the series premiere of Grimm. (An NBC source tells TVLine there’s no chance the network would push back the premieres a week to steer clear of the World Series clincher.)

Fox has slotted two Glee repeats (“The Rocky Horror Glee Show” and “Silly Love Songs”) to air in place of the World Series tonight, while the Bones reruns scheduled for Thursday have been scrapped.

TAGS: , , , , ,
GET MORE: News, Scheduling News

1. Medusaworks says:

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I’ve been waiting for Peter for 2 weeks.

2. Ali says:

THATS IT I HATE BASEBALL WITH A BURNING PASSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Meredith says:

Chuck is WAY more important then the World Series. NBC can count on me for Friday night…probably the only night they can count on me! Ha

4. Michael says:

That’s a lot of male-skewed programing on Friday… :/

5. Lisa says:

So sick of Glee. Why couldn’t Fox air reruns of a show that needs a ratings boost, like “Fringe?”

• Angel says:

Because they are more invested in Glee than Fringe. Glee has lost an embarrassing number of viewers this season compared to last, so they want to get those viewers back. Meanwhile they have flat out said they don’t expect Fringe ratings to go up any.

6. bob says:

THIS SUCKS

7. ronitha says:

Thats jacked up. I want my tv shows not stupid baseball!!!

8. Dre says:

BASEBALL SUCKS!
    I’ll take FRINGE/CHUCK/GRIMM over “world” series ANY DAY.
    Boo-urns!

9. Emma says:

No! Grrrrrrr baseball… I have already waited too long for the next Fringe!

10. Dre says:

Texas better win tomorrow then……. >(

• Gretchen says:

I was just thinking that we’ll see A LOT of brand new Texas fans now :)

I’m cheering for them anyway, even though they were the rivals of my Giants last year. They don’t have a World Series ring…St. Louis has more than enough, they are second only to the Yankees in total championships won.

11. Jon says:

Huge baseball fan. But almost 7 months of it is enough for me. Been WAY too long since Chuck left us hanging with Morgan as the new intersect. I hope Chuck crushes the World Series in the ratings!

12. Carrie says:

No one cares about stupid baseball. We all care about our TV. They better not bump Fringe or I will send them a tersely worded email. The last time I did that was a couple of years ago when i broke Netflix for two days. My email gets sent and boom they can’t send anyone anyone any discs for 2 days. Coincidence? I think not.

• Andy says:

Ummm, as a life-long Cardinals fan (and I believe I can speak for all of us), I do care about the World Series. So, you can’t say no one cares. This is why DVRs are great. I can wait on Fringe, I can DVR Chuck, and this gives me an extra week to figure out how to set my DVR to get Fringe, Chuck and Supernatural.

• Andie says:

Seriously? It’s 7 days. I’m obsessed with “Fringe,” and am not bothered by this at all. It’s like the one FOX show that hasn’t been bumped for baseball yet. Sure, it didn’t run last week, but there was no game, so did you send a tersely worded email to Fox for not airing it then? Grow up.

• Mike says:

Ahhh but this is the start of Sweeps, Fringe needs all the help it can get with airing their big episodes during the sweeps period. If it gets pushed a week, then one of those eps will probably be burned off in December. So it may be 7 days to you, but it could spell cancellation for FRINGE. How’s that for a grown up answer? Plus, I’m still bitter that the Phillies threw away that series to the Cards. If the Phils were in this situation, you can be sure I’d be right there defending the preempting of Friday programming. But alas, they’re not. So GO TEXAS!

• Chris says:

Do you know that Fox has a contract with MLB to show all of the World Series games? So you must know that this isn’t an actual decision of whether to show the game or Fringe, right? They are contractually obligated to air the game. Get a clue.

13. Alex says:

Messing with Fringe, Chuck, and Bones? What do Fox and NBC want me to do, commit suicide?

14. Dessy says:

WTF IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE???!!!
    Are They LOOKING for Bad Ratings, I mean Seriously!!
    Ugh!

• Rocky F says:

First, to be clear, I am a Fringe fan, and I don’t particularly care about baseball, but…I can absolutely guarantee you that the ratings for a World Series Game 7 will blow Fringe’s ratings out of the water. Fox is not hating this turn of events. They are going from one POSSIBLE WS game in the sweeps period to one guaranteed game and possibly two. Trust me, as much as we hate it, Fox is gonna love the extra eyeballs, especially in sweeps.

15. julie says:

and somehow, life will go on. kinda sick and tired about the complaints about baseball. i love baseball. i have about twenty hours of television on my TiVo because i have been watching the ALCS and World Series every night it has been on. there is only one baseball game left for the season, maybe two if the Cardinals pull this one out. so instead of complaining about waiting a week for an episode that WILL eventually be shown, maybe have a little sympathy for the baseball fans that, after this week, will have to wait until April for more.

16. Gus Is Missed says:

And fox wonders why their ratings go down they are the worst scheduling network in America.. Why premiere shows only to have repeats and bumpings after the third episode? Where is the logic here? Somebody somewhere at Fox gets paid big bucks to make these decisions and this defies logic.. Either move the premieres up and start last week of August or move it back to November.. Fringe doesn’t deserve to be bumped for 3 weeks when it just frackin premiered. Least they could do is a double episode next Fri if bumped but they arent that smart…Rather run kitchen nightmares.. The main reason we should be angry is why was Fringe bumped last week anyway??? They reair the premiere..Um the season JUST started!!! Tomorrow might be unavoidable but can anyone tell me why it was bumped last week? What other network would pull this?

• Mike says:

People really need to learn how TV programming works. If you notice, LOTS of shows were in reruns over the past week. This had nothing to do with the World Series. There are 9 Months for the MAIN television season but only 22-24 hours AT MOST for each full season show. And there are 3 sweeps periods along with the need to kick existing shows off in September to promote their NEW programming along with it. The first Sweeps period is upon us and starts TODAY and lasts through most of November. Sweeps is when shows save their BIG episodes of shows in attempts to get bigger ratings and draw in advertisers for those programs. Usually the week prior to sweeps, shows take the opportunity to air a rerun. This burns off one of those weeks of the 9 month schedule and saves their intentionally BIG PLOT or STUNT CASTED episode for the sweeps period. The long 9 month schedule is also why you’ll see hiatuses after November sweeps, during the holidays and see shows premiering closer to the start of February Sweeps.

This is how network television has worked for years. However, with serialized programs like 24 and LOST, they had to find new ways to air the shows to avoid viewer frustration of hiatuses/reruns. So they opted to air NON-STOP programming and have MID-Season launches eventually for both.

17. Ines says:

I don’t understand. If the game is on Fox how does this affect the NBC schedule? Please explain (keep in mind that I’m not from the USA).

• Chris says:

It doesn’t. She said in the article that those shows wouldn’t be moved. The point was that NBC “could” bump those shows to avoid getting killed in the ratings by the World Series game.

18. David says:

The question is moot- Texas is going to win Thursday and there won’t be a Game 7…

19. Amanda says:

I have suddenly become a huge Texas fan because if they win tomorrow then no worries. Though if it is pushed to 7 games then I think they should wait and have it on Saturday. Saturday is a much better night then Friday to air a game.

Go Texas

20. The Warecougar says:

I say we call Maury Povic to yell, over the PA, “You are the father!” The players will all run for the hills.

LONG LIVE CHUCK AND PETER!
    (not like that, you sick, twisted people … I’m so proud!) :-D :-P :-D

21. izzy says:

I want BASEBALL or Play Novation TONIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!

22. Keepthefaithfringeforveer says:

I think people are forgetting that Fringe will be up against the series premiere of Grimm, so that’s good if Fringe wants to survive.

• austen. says:

I love Fringe, but I hope it’s pushed back because of this. I’m sure the ratings will go down the first week it’s up against Grimm but will rise again once people realize Fringe is better.

23. Eliza says:

Give me Chuck already!!!!

I already know it’s going to be so hard for me to say goodbye :(

24. Sourabh says:

Remind me again, this World Series, how many countries take part?

25. claire says:

PETEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!!

26. Steven says:

DAMN IT ALL TO HADES!

27. JohnDoe says:

This is what happens when the series is played so damn late in the year…

28. Keepthefaithfringeforveer says:

LOL, Not sure why people are so upset, Glee fans have to wait an entire MONTH until the 4th episode airs. So what’s two weeks?

29. Ribac says:

Put it this way: how many seasons Chuck and Fringe have (and we all know how season premiere can be crucial, in case of Chuck, and not to mention quality TV airing in friday death slot, in case of Fringe) and how many does “world” series have? American TV houses are shortsighted in terms of viewership, we (from Europe) really don’t fancy baseball (mostly) but Fringe and Chuck (and some other shows) are U.S.A. export product that we (mostly) love.

So yeah there is much more to this than DVR and waiting for a week. And here’s tricky question: why not bump the airing of the game? In the end the result WILL be known and you could watch the show (little bit exaggerating but I hope you get my point)

• Andie says:

Because first of all, FOX has a contract not just to air the games, but to air the games when they air.

And as a St. Louis fan, I would flip the f**k out to not be able to watch the World Series, and I’m sure that’s true in Texas, too. It also wouldn’t be fair to air the games in only St. Louis and Dallas because there are plenty of people all over the country who care.

• Gretchen says:

Bump the final game of the World Series? America’s pastime?

It would be like bumping the World Cup for a TV show. The TV show isn’t going anywhere, people like their sports live.

30. austen. says:

where i can i readd the fringe ratings with the dvr boost?

31. MockingbirdGirl says:

Dearest Megan: “inclimate” is not a word. Do you perhaps mean “inclement”?

32. Riley says:

I guess Texas is just going to have to win Thursday. NO GAME 7!!! As a huge Fringe fan I have been looking forward to this Friday’s episode and would be greatly disappoint if I have to wait another week for it to air just because of the baseball!

33. Biff Fearless says:

Don’t care what it preempts, give me Game 7 any day. Fringe will just air a week later. Chuck? Give me a break. It’s in its last season anyway. When the show moves in its last season, what does that indicate NBC feels about the series? No love for Supernatural here? They have a new episode on too.

34. John Berggren says:

It is well beyond time to bump sports to cable or a digital “b” band. There is no reason why sports should ever pre-empt scripted television.

35. Lisa says:

This is crap. Baseball is crap.

36. Lisa says:

How about bumping crap baseball.

37. Carrie says:

Oh, come on! We’ve been waiting weeks for Peter’s return!

38. will says:

please spellcheck: “Due to inclimate weather in St. Louis”
    “inclimate” is not a word. “inclement” is the correct spelling.

39. Lorie says:

Go Rangers! Please win for us Fringe fans.

40. Savannah says:

I am a huge Fringe Fan…and waiting these past two weeks have been excruciating but I’ve been watch Fringe from the beginning to keep me occupied….I’m now on Season 2 at the moment. I’m a Texan woman I live in San Antonio always loved baseball use to play when I was younger love watching games but at this moment I want to See Fringe not baseball! If I can’t have my way as do all Fringe fans want then I think I can wait one more week as long as Fox agrees to air Fringe next Friday!! Can’t wait to see Peter Bishop, Lincoln, Olivia and Walter!! = )

41. Ali says:

I don’t care about the baseball game, I’m still looking forward and WILL be watching “Chuck” live. The poor show has been plagued with crap like this always happening and it still is with us. It’s fun, it’s well written and well cast and VERY enjoyable. The dimwit programmers at NBC should have all of these variables under consideration and have a backup plan that doesn’t end up hurting their show which they’ve invested time and money in. It seems like they have no common sense.

42. Jean says:

We go through this every year. Baseball should be done by September. They keep it going for promotional purposes. So if we don’t see Peter and the gang you know WHY. Like The Super Bowl this game should be ONE GAME Man up and may the best Team win

43. Gilbert says:

Calm down people the Rangers will win in 6!! THen Friday We’ll have FRINGE!!

44. clpsampath says:

Are you kidding me? Baseball vs. Fringe. Its all about money these days. Anywho at least Chuck is still on. So sad to see Chuck go..its actually a good show compared to all the stuff coming up these days.

45. Christine says:

I want Fringe not some world series baseball on my tv. Just finish it tomorrow so I can watch my show on Friday.

46. Lime says:

Don’t worry guys….Texas will win tomorrow and Friday will be just fine.

47. Cardinalsfan says:

Oh, there will be a game 7. The Cardinals are going to take this thing. As much as I love Fringe, it is my favorite show, there’s just no way the Cardinals are losing. I don’t mind waiting another week!

48. Mel says:

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! I Just finished 2 weeks of intense watching of 3 series of FRINGE, i am already in a deep stage of withdrawal and cannot wait any longer…..I NEED FRINGE ON FRIDAY NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

49. Fugly says:

Disgraceful, Fox! Fringe is an amazing show and all of these ‘breaks’ cannot be helping ratings. SORT YOURSELVES OUT and air the things people actually watch.

• chefsal says:

Is it Fox’s fault it rained? How should have they planned to air Fringe to avoid baseball schedule? Should they cancel baseball? People don’t actually watch the World Series? Fox is guilty of some lame programming decisions, but this is NOT one of them…

50. Pam says:

I love Fringe but I love my Cardinals more! Go Birds!