Exclusive

Exclusive: Is True Blood Casting Alcide's Father? (Plus Other Season 5 Intel)

The fifth season of True Blood promises to be a hairy one — the show is hunting for actors to play werewolves galore, including one who sounds suspiciously like he could be Alcide’s father!

The lycanthrope in question, J.D., is said to be a hard-bodied fiftysomething who isn’t likely to share a water bowl with the new pack leader anytime soon. And since 1) that sounds a lot like Alcide to begin with, and 2) his pop features prominently in Charlaine Harris’ fifth Sookie novel, well, you can do the math!

My picks to play the part? Maybe Andy Garcia? Mitch Pileggi, who just took another recurring role in the Dallas reboot… or what about Mr. Intensity himself, Vincent D’Onofrio?

We’ll also be meeting: former pack leader Marcus’ mother, Annie; a hot young she-wolf named Rikki who’s determined to sniff out the deceased’s fate; a couple of beta dogs charged with interrogating someone (my guess? Sam); Holly’s teenage sons, Rocky and Wade; a corrupt judge (aren’t they all?); a humorless vamp named Cat (to… balance out the canine/feline ratio?); and a couple of sexy spoilers for Jason and Jessica’s romance.

Add all that to what we already knew — that Salome (yes, the Salome) will feature prominently in the season, and so will Eric’s vamp sis, Nora — and it’s obvious that we’re in for another jam-packed season. Your thoughts? Any ideas about who you’d like to see cast as Alcide’s father? Hit the comments below!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. SarahFW says:

It was Sam who was being growled at by a wolf we haven’t met.

2. lol says:

this show has become so boring and ridiculous, season 4 was painful to watch, oh well, there will always be season 1
    vampire diaries is way better

• Tania says:

And yet you’ll keep on watching so that you can come on here and bitch some more. That would make you so boring and ridiculous. Just sayin’.

• Tamagura says:

I have to agree. At first, I thought Vampire Diaries was going to be really juvenile, but it has turne out to be quite the contrary. The characters are complete & well written. ‘True Blood’ has become very campy-more camp than I care to watch. (Also, I find ‘bad’ Stefan more interesting than ‘bad’ Eric. Who Knew?)

• ddawnie666 says:

so why are you on here bitching?? go to the children’s page with the rest of the whiners!

• BeaverBeliever says:

Why is it that whenever someone has a negative impression they are insulted? This is a discussion, a place to share thoughts and opinions. Allow people to have theirs, just as you have yours. I greatly enjoy this show and although I felt this last season was a bit of a let down, I keep watching in hopes it will pick back up. If fans do not voice opinion, how will producers understand how to fix the show?

• fasdfasf says:

i agree but i will keep on watching!

Is it just me but wasnt bill, eric, and sookie really annoying this season?

• Guess says:

Just because Delena and TVD ratings are a total failure there’s no reason to take it on to True Blood: we double your ratings kids, face it!

• Susanne says:

I disagree completely, the love scenes between Eric and Sookie are the best I have ever watched on T.V. They brought back parts of my life when I was deeply in love. I admit this season has changed my life forever. In this day of one night stands its refreshing to see that love is still alive though it might not be forever. Eric should have received any Emmy for those scenes with Sookie.

• benzo says:

Im totally in love with eric and sookie and, a although fictiona, i could only hope for a love like that in my life… i think that the show is awesome…im hoping that season 5 will be just as amazing as the others… I LOVE ERIC NORTHMAN!!!!

• Katdance says:

Yup, I agree with you…. especailly Bill with all that screwing around howevever I’m curious to watch next season and hope it picksup. PS….. I am very much enjoying DEXTER in SHOWTIME now and sadden to say it’s taken the place of TRUE BLOOD. Sorry Ya’ll.

3. KenBud says:

Alcide’s dad is the only person I recognize from the books. I get they are using the books as a base, but they have gone overboard with tooooo many characters.

• Tania says:

Is it too difficult for you to keep up with? Just askin’.

• Stephanie says:

Is it possible for you to refrain from making a snide response at everyone? Just wonderin’

• F*ck you tania says:

tania why are you such a Cu*t? just cause your pmsing doesnt mean you have to be a bitch to other peoples opinions, or is the stick so far up your ass you cant appreicate other people’s point of view. do the world a favor and play in traffic you nosy bitch

• Aries13 says:

I agree KenBud. I know that Hollywood has to make things more palatable to capture the movie and TV viewers attention spans, but I don’t understand why they need to stray so far from the books, or throw in so many extra characters. Has there been any mention of Quinn for season 5?? That’s what I’m waiting for!

4. Robin says:

Andy Garcia would be great as Alcides dad.
    I just want to meet Quinn. I wish the writers would consult me about such matters since I love the books and the show. Lol

• Courtney says:

Oh my god if we could just meet Quinn.. I think the series would get even better. I loved the books with Quinn in them, as much as I’m typically in love with Eric and Sookie. It would be fun to see him portrayed.

• terelon says:

It was stated there will be no Quinn on the TV series, Alcide will be the Quinnesque character.

• Jess says:

That kind of stinks… Quinn was a great character in the books, I was kind of looking forward to see who they would put for that character. Oh well, Alcide will have to do then! Lol. And I agree with someone else on here about Ian McShane being his father. He has that burley kind of swag about him!

• Gwen says:

Ehm didn’t they say at comic con that there will be a tiger coming…

• sabrina says:

I dont think so he is too nice I think marc hammond would be a better choice all he slap alcide across the head when he back talks him lol

5. Jake says:

Vampire diaries is a teen sappy ass show…stopped watching it after the 6th episode..BLUCK…True Blood is awesome…

• cris says:

true blood used to be awesome, last season was moronic, it was like watching a bad comedy

• Kate says:

if you stopped watching after the sixth episode, you really can’t judge. every show needs to find its footing in the beginning, and TVD wasn’t any different. starting with Stefan coming out as a vampire and continuing to the present season, this show is awesome.

plus, really, it’s juvenile to bash shows because everyone has their own opinions. especially if you don’t even watch it!

• Michael says:

The Vampire Diaries >>>> True Blood. You need to start watching again!!

• True Blood fan says:

After the year of the witch, the season of the werewolves and the season of Godric I can’t wait to see what they come up next! Between the return of King Russell and Alcide’s whole family I can’t hardly wait for the next season of True Blood

• Steve says:

Love the show, after all, it is just entertainment!
        I just wish they would quit shifting the times around, it makes it hard to PVR.

• Russ says:

You stopped after the 6th episode, while the 7th episode is what gets you really hooked you should go back and watch it, you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

• Tamagura says:

Believe me, Jake. I felt the same way about the Vampire Diaries. However, over the seasons it has gotten ‘aged’ well. It is no longer about teeny boppers. It has well-written scripts & not much less ‘high school’ stuff. The acting has really improved also. Check it out now-this season & also last season. It just keeps getting better & better. There have been one or two missteps (Never leave a vampire for dead and ‘not’ cut off his head!) but it is still a great show.

6. Amanda says:

Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

7. Cassandra says:

This is comments for True Blood if you dont like it stay the hell of the comments stop watching it and watch you stupid vampire diaries

• Annonymous says:

No one its watching The Vampire Diaries Cassandra, that’s why all those poor people are posting here. Ignore them and they will go away. I can’t wait to see Alcide’s family interact with Godric’s other progeny, Nina. Next season is bound to be awesome!

8. Sarah says:

Who the heck is Nina? Eric does not have a sister. I just wish they’d keep to the book a little better, we don’t need all these random characters serving no purpose.

• Alice says:

Well, seeing as they killed off Godric after making him Eric’s sire, they can’t really go with the Appius storyline- and scenes with Appius and the kid playing Alexei would have been too icky even for True Blood. So they get to make up new siblings. Can’t be worse than the original “brother”. Ewww.

9. Rose Mead says:

Sam Elliott.

Reading the books, I saw a young Sam Elliott as Alcide, then a more recent Sam Elliot as Jackson Herveaux.
    Joe Manganiello as Alcide is a happy improvement on my imagination, but I can still see the auld Blue Jean Cop as the senior Herveaux, even if Mr E is knocking on a bit now!

10. Mar says:

Scott.Patterson.

11. Audie says:

Alcide’s dad AND another male both kind of compete for the head of the pack, they may be casting for the rival.

12. ddawnie666 says:

Quinn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Di says:

Who can possibly be hotter than Alcide? George Clooney!

14. dan says:

John Schneider, though I haven’t read the books, but somehow I think he would make a great dad for Alcide.

15. La says:

Jeffrey Dean Morgan would be awesome.

16. Jane says:

Adrian Paul theTV Highlander -he is still hot!!

17. Peter says:

I agree TVD wishes it could be half as good as true blood..I still watch TVD but if I had to choose one over the other I would choose True Blood..The acting is incredible compared to True Blood.. Besides Pam alone could totally wipe out the whole group on TVD.

• Peter says:

I meant the acting on True Blood is better then on TVD besides TVD is on the CW..and really the only show I really like on there is Nikita.

• Tom says:

There aint nothing wrong with the acting on tvd, i really dont get where people say this show has better acting than this one, and vica versa, its like, they are called actors for a reason! And if you really do watch tvd, then you would know pam could take on the vamps like caroline, stefan, damon, but vamps like katherine, klaus, elijah and the originals would sorta destroy her, no offense

18. danielle says:

So love the books and loove the show i just cant wait for season 5 !!! Im going crazy rereading the books lol i could do with out quinn but i do want to c sookie and alcide…Mmm

19. Jake says:

I think you meant the acting on True Blood is better then on TVD besides TVD is on the CW..and really the only show I really like on there is Nikita.

20. Jennifer says:

What about ALAN RICKMAN, RON PERLMAN, TOM SKERRITT, SAM NEILL

Jeffery Dean Morgan or Sam Elliot either one sharing the screen with Alcide and my husband is really gonna like the aftermath of watching that hour of tv!

Kinda bummed to hear Quinn wont be a character in the show, hope that there is still ALOT of animal action the next couple of years. I know that Alan Ball is brilliant and I love his work but I really dont like how Bill has turned out. But I’m not whining, I really appreciate the fact that he didn’t kill off Lafayette in the 1st season like they did in the books.

Charlaine Harris and Janet Evanovich keep on writing and I’ll keep on reading.

Alan Ball keep on making terrific escapism TV like you have for quite some time and I’ll always watch it.

21. Marlene Emmett says:

Alcide’s dad has to have salt/pepper hair, be in great shape
    be a bit shorter than Joe M.
    And he’s got to be about 48??
    Now who would fit that description??
    How about Scott Glenn?? from Urban Cowboy??
    Or Anderson Cooper? He’s got the grey hair and he’s really built.

• jennrae says:

Now Scott Glen is TOO old–almost 71–and too thin. He guested on one of the last seasons of Monk and looked sickly.

22. Jennifer says:

Viggio Mortenson (maybe not old enough)
    Stephan Lang
    Clancy Brown
    Mark Ruffalo (definetly not old enough… but sigh)
    Tom Sizemore

And can someone please find a good charater for Callum Blue to play, I miss seeing him on my tv every week.

• Rachel says:

Actually, if Viggo were Joe’s dad he would have been 18 when Joe was born which works well. Viggo is totally built and can pull off the handsome salt and pepper thing. He’s totally my vote.

23. Fsanchez says:

Screw the the WERES! all they ever do is moan and bitch about their love lifes. They also get their asses kick by EVERYONE! Vampires, shifters, humans, and others, all easily kick a Were’s ass!

24. Jamie says:

How about Ian McShane to play Alcide’s father?

• isa says:

Ian McShane would be awesome. I also love Mickey Rourke, however i may be the only person left who still finds him sexy lol

• jen says:

i also still like mickey rourke…even tho hes shiny. lol. & i LOVE charlaine harris’ writing. i think the show has gone slightly off track but not so much 4 the worse. il b reading n watching either way. stay true, tb-ers! & i dont even watch tvd but ian sommerhalder is beautiful!!

• drg says:

Oh, that’s a good one too! He was great in Deadwood and could easily play the part.

25. Gidiggly says:

How on EARTH are they going to work Salome into the story?!

26. RachelH says:

Hmmmm Michael Ironside maybe?

27. RachelH says:

Or M.C Gainey!

28. jen says:

I haven’t seen season 4 yet (dont have HBO, need to get the DVDs when they come out), but if they cast JDM for any role, I’ll start paying the monthly fee again!

29. GM says:

Rutger Hauer for the Dad, he’s older but totally lovely and a bit you know grizzled, coor something for us oldies to enjoy

30. Plum says:

Andy, Andy, Andy; whatchu talkin’ about, Andy? The only man bad ass enough to play Alcide’s poppa is Stephen Lang. And in lieu of Lang maybe Clancy Brown or Christopher Heyerdahl.

31. T says:

I’d love to see Patrick Duffy in it, but I guess he’ll be too busy with Dallas. P.s I really enjoyed season 4 – season of the witch, and can’t wait for season 5 – with lines like “she just puked out a bitch” how could you not enjoy it lol

32. Jamie says:

How about Kevin Sorbo to play Alcide’s father?

• jen says:

TOTALLY agree with kevin sorbo as alcides father….awesome match. even tho if u read the books, his character is ill-fated nehow

33. Valerie says:

In Season 2 of TrueBlood, Eric’s family died so how is it that he has a vampire sister named Nora?

• T says:

Godric made her too, it’s not his biological Viking sister.

• Guess says:

According to the spoilers, Godric made a progeny named Nora about the same time Eric sired Pam, this younger “sibling” works as a double agent for the Authority and has been helping Eric ever since. According to True Blood’s flawless mythology, that would make Nora a vampire sister to Eric, much like Sookie serves as a “stepmaker” to Pam. Eric’s nuclear family is expanding next season!

34. Sarah Garrard says:

Where can we go to audition?

35. Magida says:

Jeffrey Dean Morgan! ….and that’s a he’ll yes!

36. T says:

Just watching ghost busters and it hit me, add a beard etc – Dan Ayckroyd!

37. Mz Diva says:

I really hope Vincent D’Onfrio gets the part of Alcides dad.. he is such a great actor!!

38. Ericgirl says:

I think Jeffrey dean Morgan would deffinetly work for alcides dad and would make a great wolf :)

39. Jenny says:

Although Stephen Lang is my top choice, he’s probably busy with Terra Nova right now. So I’ve got to agree with many other on here – Jeffrey Dean Morgan, all the way!

40. Merry A. says:

ANDY GARCIA! OMG! He’s sooo sexy! Although I’d like him better as a vampire,I’ll still take him as a wolf!

41. Barb says:

I really think they need to bring in Quinn. He plays such a big part in Sookie’s life. And he is in 3 books so why not have him. I cant wait to see the Vampire conference but that is still a season away. As for Alcides dad I think Sam Elliott would be a great choice. That scruffy totaly hot manly man like Alcide. YUM!

42. AGlassyCountenance says:

Ah, Quinn. Who knew bald could be sexy?

43. Backtothebooks says:

So many of you are talking about who they are going to cast for this and that next….I stopped watching….personally I hate it now it has strayed sooooooooooooo far out away from the books that it’s not even worth watching anymore ( and I was one of their biggest fans and loved the show). Alan you need to wise p son and realize the books are one of the biggest sellers and most read series of books out there….if the books carry such a following why in heaven’s name would you want to stray so far away from them? I read alot of forums/blogs on TB and in every one the one thing most people complain about is WHY you do this. If I was Charlaine I wouldn’t even want my name associated with the show anymore except to say the character names come from my books because other then that they have turned your wonderful books into crap!!!!

Just my opinion so don’t freak out on me about it.

• Jo says:

I read the books and love them. I watch the show and try not to see them as one and the same, just the names are the same. I nearly stopped watching in season 2. That was such a freakin mess

44. Vicki says:

I would say Javier Bardem would be great as Alcide’s father

45. Vicki says:

antonio banderas would be great but then again where wouldent he be great. I am not sure True Blood wants some one that big name.

46. T says:

I personally read the first book then stopped reading, it was a chore to get through the first in my opinion, I found the book crap. The killer was revealed much better in the tv series and people need to realise the series is only based on the books, it doesn’t necessarily have to follow everything. I’m fed up of the book fans spoiling everything telling everyone what’s going to happen next and they can’t wait for this scene or that scene. I’m glad they didn’t kill Lafayette off in the first one, he’s brought so much to the show, but if people don’t like it they don’t have to watch, they can just go and read the books. Not sure why they feel the need to keep searching out forums and telling everyone though.

On a side note Jason keeps saying Bubba alot in season 4, I wonder if they’re going to turn someone wrong in season 5 and make a sort of Bubba type vamp? I’m so glad they didn’t follow the books and bring Bubba into series 1, that was the lamest plot ever!

• megar00 says:

The books and the TV show are SO different. Different series entirely and I think that the HBO show is entertaining for TV, but the books are just way more enthralling and have more story line because…well they are novels…and the reader creates the world in their own head. That’s why the books readers have such strong opinions I think. I agree that book fans should just understand the the TV show is not the book series and just go along with the entertainment of both. To each their own!
      PS…If you couldnt get through the first book…it is similar to the first season, jump on the second one! Like I said, they are both entertaining in their own right!

• sabrina says:

he only means it as hoyt is his brother

47. autuy says:

I agree Bill, Sookie and Eric were a bit corny in love but I thought the witch plotline more than made up for it! How can no one comment on that new direction of the show? I am all for more Alcide and no need to introduce another love interest for Sookie… Tru bebbies will continue to watch and haters will whine, if you don’t enjoy tru blood don’t watch it!!!

48. Moxie says:

Actually, in the book series (the book released last year to be precise) Eric had a BROTHER, not a sister, so TB is not too far off with the sibling thing. In the book, the “brother” was actually Alexei Nikolaevich, the Haemophilic son of Czar Nicholas II of Russia.

49. Carol Meister says:

First of all, Joe M. is so Italian, and everyone is picking hispanic actors to play his father.But the person I am most interested in is Quinn. As far as I am concerned, no one could play him except Vin Diesel, he would be so perfect to play the weretiger. And is everyone as disappointed as I am with this season, that they changed the fact that when Eric got his memory back that he DID NOT remeber that he was in love with Sookie? That storyline lasts 3 books and creates such an interesting arc with Sookie being so heartbroken and having to pretend everything is back to normal.

50. Jo says: