Exclusive

Breaking: Showtime Renews Homeland

The (suspected) terrorists have won — and we’re not complaining: Showtime has picked up critical fave Homeland for a second season.

The Claire Danes drama’s premiere-week audience of 4.4 million viewers set a record for the cabler, and its ratings continues to rise. According to Showtime, last Sunday’s episode delivered the series’ best numbers to date.

Homeland is just getting started,” said Showtime president David Nevins. “Clearly, the overall audience growth from week one to week four demonstrates that this show is hitting a nerve in the cultural zeitgeist. Howard Gordon and Alex Gansa have created a psychological thriller that holds special relevance in the post 9/11 world. I’m quite confident that its passionate audience will be riveted as the season unfolds and people discover where this story is going.”

Season 2 begins production in spring 2012.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, News, Renewals, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Timelord says:

Damian Lewis’ continued presence on tv is good news.

2. Josh says:

PLEASE SHOWTIME RENEW DEXTER FOR SEASON 7! NOW!

• Cameron says:

They can’t until they lock down Michael C Hall, he is only under contract till the end of this season and they are having a contract dispute. I don’t doubt they will work something out though.

• Sean says:

I am sooo stressed please pay Michael he is unbelieveable Dexter is Showtime He was underpaid for so many episodes he deserves the 24 mil come on

3. Eliza says:

Yes! Thank you, Showtime. This show is excellent & the cast is as well.
    (now please renew Weeds; I am very attached to Nancy & crew and not ready to say goodbye).

4. Michael says:

It’s weird that I’m putting them in the same boat, but this and Revenge are the best new shows this fall.

5. Cameron says:

Probably the best new show of the season, glad to hear it. Damien Lewis is an underrated actor, as is Mandy, glad to see them on the screen for at least another year.

6. -Jordan says:

I Love this show but how exactly are they going to make more then one season out of this?

• D says:

Kind of the way they’re doing it right now; Carrie is following other supposed terrorist along with Damian Lewis’s character. The most recent episode, if you haven’t watched it, should give you a good idea.

Now hopefully Weeds gets a, maybe final, season pickup and Showtime will be hitting gold.

7. Beth says:

This show is AWESOME!!! There are so many angles to explore with the characters and what exactly everyone is after. Sundays with Dexter and now this is the reason I am paying extra to have showtime.

8. Samantha says:

Yes! I love this show so much! It’s the best show on TV!

9. Sarah says:

I’m quite pleased at this news. Homeland is one of my favorite new shows. I can’t wait to see what the writers/cast do with the remaining episodes of season 1 and onward in season 2.

10. sabrina says:

Great news. This show is awesome and deserves a 2nd season.

11. TheFinalMan says:

I was really afraid this was going to end up like AMC’s awesome series “Rubicon” and only get one season due to its controversial subject matter (a rare misstep for AMC). I’m really glad “Homeland” got renewed for another season. Good job, Showtime.