Exclusive

Exclusive Parenthood Video: Julia Makes a Shocking Discovery [SPOILER ALERT]

Julia and Joel’s unorthodox baby-buying plot hits another snag on next week’s Parenthood when Erika Christensen’s multi-tasking legal eagle makes a horrifying discovery.

Parenthood Casts Life Unexpected Alum as [Spoiler Alert]

Without giving too much away — I’ll let the following first look clip do that — Julia catches her colleague-turned-surrogate Zoe (Rosa Salazar) unwittingly endangering the welfare of her unborn baby.

Watch the clip and then hit the comments with an answer to this question: Why can’t J&J catch a damn break?!

For Parenthood Scoop and Spoilers ‘Round the clock, follow me on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, First Look, News, Scoop, Spoilers, Video

1. Sommer says:

The video won’t play! It keeps getting stuck on the advert.

• bluz says:

The coffee cart girl is eating sushi and you can tell Julia is upset by it.

I just had a baby recently and I ate sushi while pregnant. Not raw, but still. Plus I know plenty of people who did eat raw sushi while pregnant. My OB said it was fine.

• kapo79 says:

but you know Julia wouldn’t eat sushi while pregnant….normal and in character for her to freak about it.

• Amy says:

As my doctor said… Japanese woman still eat when they’re pregnant :)

• heather says:

You have to monitor the amount you intake. If your doctor told you to just go ahead and eat all the raw fish you want I highly recommend you get a new dr asap. Just like you can have red wine while pregnant. You can have a small glass not a bottle.

• Samantha says:

It’s only fine in small amounts and every once in a while. You need a new OB if that’s what they’re telling you.

2. Robin says:

Julia looks like she’s about to explode in anger…

• swoo says:

As my midwife said: “Women in Japan likely eat sushi, African women don’t know about sleeping on their left side …” (etc etc the list goes on). I think it is one of the millions of things that is suggested during pregnancy, but doesn’t necessarily mean it is guaranteed harmful.

3. Mal says:

Julia knows it’s Zoe’s first time being pregnant, and that Zoe is young, so why doesn’t she just say to her then and there, “Zoe, actually, you’re not supposed to eat raw fish when you’re pregnant. If you want, I can make you a list of foods to avoid while you’re pregnant, that way you know.” Instead she’s going to freak out and make a big deal out of it and be all crazy. Ugh.

• Tanya says:

Of course she is going to freak out, cause that is what her character is about. ;)

• KSM says:

She probably doesn’t want to say anything because she doesn’t want to make the girl mad and have her take the baby away. Plus, Julia freaks out about stuff. That’s just what she does.

• Sam says:

She can’t because they have to have conflict and drama. Duh.

• Donna says:

Not to mention, isn’t Zoe due like any day now. Is it really going to do any good to make a list of things that are healthy to eat. If anything is wrong, the damage is already done. Not saying that to sound negative, I just mean she hasn’t been there to monitor the whole pregnancy. Who knows what else she’s been eating and doing that hasn’t been so healthy. If Zoe was ok with giving the baby up for adoption, she probably wasn’t too worried about being the healthiest pregnant person.

• KLo says:

Placing a child for adoption is the most unselfish and often times healthiest choice a woman with an unwanted pregnancy can make. To assume that because she’s made that choice she likely has made other unhealthy choices is completely backwards thinking. Adoption is love.

4. Phil says:

Calling it … this is a dream sequence where Julia imagines Zoe doing things progressively worse the baby. She then wakes up in a cold sweat.

• Guest57689456 says:

I think you are right. The camera-work seems…different and “over the top.” I think the clip cuts off right before she wakes up.

5. Tammy says:

I have never heard that you cannot eat sushi while pregnant, granted I don’t eat sushi, but having had two children, I have never heard that before, so I didn’t realize it was such a big deal!

6. Rene says:

I’m not a fish eater, cooked or raw. But, I’m sure Julia is upset because she is eating sushi. It is actually safe as long as it is a fish that has low mercury levels. If Julia says anything to her about it, it’s probably going to upset the girl and she may change her mind about allowing them to adopt the baby. I’m sure she is feeling like she is damned if she does and damned if she doesn’t.

7. diana says:

poor julia she looks like she is going to go crazy on the poor girl i hope it is just a dream!!!!

8. all of you are retarded says:

You aren’t supposed to eat sushi while pregnant.If you never heard that, now you have

• stephanie says:

Two things A) using the word retarded as a pejorative is uncalled for and inappropriate. B) Unless you know something doctors don’t, eating sushi is fine.

• Sushi says:

This is what you’ve been taught. But it isn’t necessarily the truth.

If you make sushi yourself with fresh cooked rice and safe fish (fish that doesn’t come from highly polluted water) then you’re ok.

There is a list online on what fish you can eat.

The most dangerous thing with sushi is actually the cooked cold rice that can geberate a harmful bacteria, hence one should avoid cooked rice.

9. Stephanie says:

UGH. Nothing like perpetuating the “food police” angle. There is nothing wrong with eating sushi while pregnant (just ask the people in Japan). It’s just another way that people in the US try to manage pregnancy.

10. Jim Kollett says:

Probably a dream sequence. On a side note, how much you want to bet that as soon as the adoption is final, Julia will become pregnant?

• Kristen says:

I’m thinking the same thing. She’s going to receive a surprise pregnancy, and have another child. Or, things with this adoption are going to begin to fall through, and she’s going to find out she’s pregnant. Something will happen.

• Jill says:

Agreed. It happens in real life all the time too. Once a couple gives up all hopes of having a baby they adopt, then they relax and nature takes it’s course.

All the women I met when I was pregnant that told me they were ‘trying’ I told them…”have fun with it, enjoy the time you’re spending ‘together’ and relax, it will happen when God deems it necessary, not when you feel so.”

• Heather says:

God has nothing to do with infertility. “Relaxing” won’t help. That notion is ridiculous and an old wives tale with no basis in reality or science.

• Me says:

You’re right that “relaxing” isn’t the fix. But do you really think God has nothing to do with infertility? Who or what does then? Is it just some awful Voodoo curse that was randomly placed on the person or couple?

• Wendy says:

Actually I’ve worked at a couple of hospitals. I know this to be true – they also get pregnant when they diet and start to loose weight. Its like when they are distracted & not all worried about getting prego it works.

• Veronica says:

It doesn’t happen “all the time”. In fact, extemely few women get pregnant after adopting. This myth is an old one, and adoptive parents hate hearing it. Just so you know….

11. Heather says:

You can eat sushi while pregnant BUT you are limited to the amount you can eat per month. It is only a few ounces and it also depends on the type of fish as well. My opinion is that you should always ask yourself “Is it worth the risk”.

12. Jill says:

I can’t remember why other than maybe the possibility of mercury poisoning.

My question is…has Zoe been seeing an OB? If not, then it’s not her fault. She has obviously planned to give up the baby from the beginning, so…why would she be reading all the baby & pregnancy magazines like the rest of us did for 9 months+.

I ate (seemingly) nothing but carrots and oranges during my pregnancy, after reading an article in one of those magazines I was convinced my son was going to come out Orange, or worse bc of a beta-carotene overdose. He came out perfectly fine and has actually never had a serious illness, or even most minor ones for that fact.

I am sure Zoe’s baby will be fine with her eating sushi. From what it looked like (store bought) not much of it is actually raw. The crab is fake, i.e. cooked…But…my guess is Julia will over react but probably by excusing herself and going into her office and freak out and call Joel and go off to him, then Zoe will probably overhear it or something. Which will start another ball rolling…

13. Knows how to do it all says:

Fish is good for you, it’a that simple. Not eating enough fish duiring pregnancy can have a negative effect on your baby’s brain development. This is according to the experts….

14. Its a tv show says:

Julia is freaked because she is not in control, and she likes control. There are different schools of thought on sushi and pregnancy, but I am sure they are basing this off of Julia not having any idea about Zoe’s eating and health habits during the earlier part of her pregnancy.

We will just have to wait and see. I love that this show keeps me guessing!!!

15. Sue says:

I think there’s too much made of all of these different food restrictions that were not even part of the conversation 22 years ago when I was pregnant; but I guess that’s progress, right? When my Mom was pregnant with me, she smoked cigarettes (this was before the Surgeon General warning came out that smoking is bad for you) and it was never even discussed that this was an issue. Now, can you imagine seeing a pregnant woman smoking?!? Julia will freak out because that’s what she does, but hopefully, the voice of reason in their relationship (Joel — LOVE him!) will be able to talk her off the ledge and get her to calm down and address the situation rationally!

16. Marilynne says:

she’s my daughter (Rosa) AND MY BOSS SAYS i SHOULD HAVE RAISED HER BETTER THAN TO RISK TOXOPLASMOSIS!

17. Kia says:

That is the same thing I was thinking!

18. Marilynne says:

oh yes, and my Mom and my sisters all smoked (still do) when pregnant and they have the best herd of offspring one could imagine – not that I’m prescribing or condoning it (smoking) – but there are so many factors involved in safe pregnancy, for example -getting rid of the cat box (as dangerous to the pregger as raw fish…..)

19. jenny says:

OK, so what if Japanese women eat it all the time, and american women do not? Don’t you think it would effect the mom’s differently depending if they ate it all the time and didn’t? I would be concerned.

20. Elizabeth says:

All I could do was laugh at Julia’s reaction, I totally had Sushi a few times early in my pregnancy, before I realized I was pregnant and I have a healthy happy little girl. I didn’t have any after I realized I was pregnant, for fear of Mercury etc.

21. kimmy says:

maybe someone could make a list of what is not supposed to be eaten/drunk while pregnant cause here, in Europe, the only thing that is not okay is alcohol.

• Pamela says:

Lets see they say, no shark, no raw fish, no deli meats (unless they have been heated to steaming), no smoking/drugs/alcohol, limit caffeine consumption to say a cup or 2 of coffee a day, no raw meats… thats all i can remember off the top of my head from the last time i was pregnant (less than a year ago)

• Pamela says:

oh yeah and no soft cheeses.

• Kelly says:

The “rules” are much different here in the States, and rather hilarious. The last time a European friend of mine, who lives in the States, was pregnant, we spent most of the 9 months telling her that everything she ate was going to kill the baby. (She ate as she always has, complete with soft cheeses, sushi, alcohol, etc, and all of her kids are fine. But “omg you’re going to kill the baby” is still commonly heard in our conversations.)

• Pamela says:

The reason they tell you to avoid soft cheeses, sushi and other foods is because they could harm the baby, (not because they definatly will) So just because your friend was lucky enough to make it through her pregnancy doing potentially dangerous things for her child and end up with a perfectly healthy baby does not mean you should tell everyone it is an okay thing to do. These things dont always hurt the baby but its possible that they could so i say why take the risk? And im guessing your friend wasnt going out and getting competely drunk while pregnant either. An occasional glass of wine can be understandable although once again i dont think any is worth risking your child being born with a damaged liver.

22. Rochester, NY says:

From the American Pregnancy Association website:

Raw Meat Should Be Avoided: Uncooked seafood and rare or undercooked beef or poultry should be avoided because of the risk of contamination with coliform bacteria, toxoplasmosis, and salmonella.

23. Nicki says:

Funny, never heard of God or his will and intentions for us be referred to as an “old wives tale”
    I take as much offense to that as a Christian as you seem to take about assumptions made re: infertility!

24. Elizabeth says:

I love sushi and read that I shouldn’t eat it when I was pregnant. I conferred with my doctor, and like others have said, Japanese women have been having healthy babies for years. I ate sushi and my son is just fine.
    It is in Julia’s character to freak out, so she will. Just have to see how bad.

25. becky says:

I think people need to stop worrying so much what other people decide to do. Unless they are dropping acid, smoking crack or something that could really hurt the baby, have your own kids. The reason they say no sushi is because o mercury level in SOME fish, salmon is actually really low and they say you can eat as much of that as you want.

26. nancy says:

Here’s my take on the scene…..the real issue is not the eating of the sushi…it’s what’s causing her extreme munchies…..maybe she’s been toking it up….and THAT is the issue that’s endangering the baby.

• Pamela says:

The extreme munches is being caused by the tiny person growing inside of her. Pregnancy makes you very hungry and makes you have strange cravings at any time of day.

• nancy says:

I realize the increased appetite during pregnancy…..I just have a theory that Zoe is doing something bad for the baby other than eating sushi

• Kylie says:

This is true, pregnancy definitely makes you VERY hungry. But those last few weeks of pregnancy, you are so big and your stomach gets squished that you don’t really eat as much as you did earlier in pregnancy. You definitely still have to eat frequently, and get hungry easily, but at least for me, those last few weeks were hard to want to eat, and I definitely wasn’t scarfing down food by any means. Maybe that was just me, and how my body handled it, but I wouldn’t say that wanting to eat a whole plate of sushi is typical at that point. But like I said, maybe it’s just me.

27. Joan says:

Okay, I agree…typical Julia. As a biological mother and an adoptive mother I think it is good to see all sides of this. To the fool who said to relax, that is an old wive’s tale and God does not give us children, mother nature does. Those who face infertility and not being punished by God and those who have children and should not have them and not being rewarded. I was a social worker and saw plenty of people who had children they should never have had. And as for the orange food comment, there was a baby who was fed jars of orange veggies and her skin did have an orange tone.

28. Candi says:

Seriously? Sushi? I could see her freaking out like that if she was smoking, but eating sushi???? Only writer’s in California would think that was a BIG deal!

29. Kate says:

Don’t you just love this show? I love all of the drama that it causes here!

30. Angie says:

Julia made the comment that she “craved all sorts of things while she was pregnant” maybe she craved sushi and it just dawned on her that she wants Zoe’s sushi and maybe Julia is pregnant!!! You know what they say, sometime when a woman finally relaxes about her infertility and accepts it, she gets pregnant because she is no longer stressing over it!!! Just a thought!

31. Liz says:

Do you guys know that it isn’t the raw fish that you should necessarily avoid, it’s the rice, since cooked cold rice can generate a harmful bacteria. When it comes to raw fish one should only avoid fish that comes from highly polluted waters. You can get a list of this online.

When it comes to sleeping on your left side: I live in Sweden and the recommendation to sleep on one side rather than the other comes from making it easier for the mother to breath in the end of the pregnancy. But it doesn’t have anything to do with the safety of the baby.

32. Eric says:

I don’t understand all this, you can eat this and not this while pregnant. You can drink this and not this while your pregnant. Yet back in the 1960′s women use to drink and smoke while pregnant, and their children turned out just fine. Someone, please explain this to me???

• Pamela says:

Drinking alcohol can damage the babies developing liver and brain, make the child dependant on alcohol and when is born has to go through painful withdrawal. Smoking damages a babies developing lungs and also causes the baby to become addicted and suffer severely when born. Just because woman in the 1960s were uninformed enough to drink and smoke, unknowingly put their child in harms way it doesnt mean that its okay to do it now. We have the knowledge to know better. You dont think drinking and smoking harms an unborn child… tell that too the many many children who have suffered the side affects from their mothers doing that while pregnant with them.

33. Kylie says:

I think it’s just one of those overprotective, controlling mom moments. Which is very Julia. She is one of those people that isn’t even going to come close to anything in the gray area. If there is even a small debate that you shouldn’t be eating that, or whatever, she isn’t even going to go near it. So even though sushi may be “okay,” if Julia were the one carrying the child, she wouldn’t have even considered it. It will be interesting to see where it goes, I have a feeling there is more to it than just the sushi though.

34. Peggy says:

I wonder if Julia was feeling sick because she’s pregnant and just doesn’t know it yet