Exclusive

Once Upon a Time Exclusive First Look: What Did the Curse Cost the Evil Queen?

If you think powerful curses come cheap, you’re living in a fantasy world.

Or, actually, you are not — because as Once Upon a Time‘s Evil Queen learns in this exclusive “flashback” clip from the ABC series’ second episode (airing Sunday at 8/7c), she will have to pay a killer price in order to banish the Enchanted Forest’s merry denizens to an amnesiac, real-world existence.

Once Upon a Time: Burning Questions Answered!

Come for Lana Parilla’s magically beatific visage, but stay for Robert Carlyle’s slithery, glittery, “preciousssss” goodness.

Ratings: Once Upon a Time Series Premiere Enchants 12.8 Million Viewers

Press PLAY, then share you theory on what you think “the curse to end all curses” will cost the Queen. (FYI, in case you missed the Once premiere, ABC will air it Sunday at 7 pm, leading into Episode 2.)

Loading video...

1. scooterbeanbag says:

Sorry, I keep getting distracted by the LOST music swelling at the climax of the scene. Poor horseie :(

2. Butter says:

Maybe the thing she loves the most is her power. She probably has to surrender that to Rumpelstiltskin that is why in the real world she does not have any power anymore…. Am also thinking that maybe she also does not remember anything because she said she also wanted her happy ending so that might mean getting away from everything in the past to truly have a happy ending… maybe her happy ending is having a child! That is why in the real world she has Henry.

• ewyna34 says:

But remember Snow White’s answer to the question at the end of the episode…Snow White in some way ruined the Evil Queen’s life…so perhaps that has something to do with it…the Evil Queen’s happy ending was to forget everything.

• Brian says:

I would second this opinion… remember, in town, Rumplestilskin is Mr. Gold, who owns the town of Storybrook… Perhaps she did sacrifice her power.

• Cic says:

You don’t think this has something to do with Prince Charming being more or less killed during the curse? -I mean it has been revealed that the evil queen & snow white were friends until the evil queen backstabbed snow white, maybe she had her reasons to do so.

• Kelly says:

Her happy ending is probably not having a child. In the first episode, you can tell Emma knew Regina was lying when asked if she truly loved Henry. She would love the child with all her heart if it were what she really desired, but she does not.

3. Polly says:

Robert Carlyle alone is worth the time you spend watching this show.

4. Michael Sacal says:

The thing the Queen in Snow White loves the most is herself, so the heart she sacrificed is her own.

• claire says:

I’m backing that horse. Perhaps now she is incapable of love.
      Or maybe the memories (the heart) of the person she loved the most once?

• Michelle says:

That would makes sense if we hadn’t seen her with Snow White right as the curse hit. She looked alive and well. Unless sacrificing her heart is a euphemism. ;)

• Michael Sacal says:

She doesn’t need to have a heart to be alive. Consider The Gates, in which a character kept her heart in a box.

In fantasy stories, anything is possible.

• Michael Sacal says:

Addendum

In a fantasy story, she could cut out her own heart and replace it with something else, like a stone or a crystal or whatever.

• Lori says:

The prince died and he has come back as John Doe, so the queen could die and come back too. I think she had to give up her own life in that kingdom to live in the otherworld to make sure Emma did not succeed.

• enjoyed the show says:

The prince may have not been dead .. close to death but not dead..

as he is john doe in the real world. our technology may have saved him or the curse did. they snow and prince.. have to see each other but have no clue of their relationship

• Grace of Spades says:

Yeah, but then the line “you know what you love, now go kill it!” makes no sense whatsoever

• Dereck says:

So then how could the Evil Apple fetish Queen still live?

Regina has an apple fetish (apples are everywhere in her house.)

• Michael Sacal says:

As I said, since it’s a fantasy story she could have replaced her heart with anything from a stone, to a crystal, to anything else the writers come up with… like maybe even the core of an apple.

5. Pearl says:

I think she had a child, and she killed him. What explains why she adopted a kid and is so willing in no let him go, even not loving him.

• June says:

I agree. I think she sacrificed either a child she was carrying or her ability to have any children in the future, which is why she adopted Henry.

• Justin says:

This is the best possible explanation… I was wondering where that kid fit in the picture.

• Crystal says:

She adopted the kid so she would know exactly when Emma was coming for her. That damn rumpelstiltskin!!!

• kati says:

I think its her first born child…think rumpelstiltskin is all about first born children. and she adopted because if she was to have her own it would be taken away.

• L.M. says:

Of course! She wanted Snow’s baby! Remember when she walked in on Snow over her husband’s body and said “Where’s the baby?” and Snow looked at her and said “You don’t know? Then She got away…and that means you’ll lose!” Snow had ensured that the baby, Emma, will grow to become their salvation. But the thing that was on the queens mind was in having Snows baby for herself! That is why, not knowing where Gapetto’s wardrobe had sent the infant, she had to settle for the the next best thing; the GRANDCHILD OF SNOW WHITE! This goes to say whether or not she knew it would be Snow’s own grandchild. Clearly the curse she had originally cast must have included “the offspring that is the first born of Snow White and Prince Charming.” And since she didn’t know the baby’s name until Rumple Stiltskin was already in jail (whom she probably paid in chariots full of of gold…to ensure the riches he had post curse…to find out the baby’s name), she could not write the child’s name into the curse. Therefore, she couldn’t insure that she would definitely secure herself the child without the baby’s name! That’s the only reason why the baby got away, and fate was able to bring her Emma’s biological child in the otherworld!!! Does that make sense, or what?

6. Angela says:

I think it was her own heart (foreshadow from ep 1 when Emma asked her if she loved Henry). In the real world, she’s incapable of love.

• Jack says:

It’s not the “real world.” The Queen and Snow White’s world is “real” also. The story is about parallel/alternate universes. Both universes are ‘real’ but different. Of course, neither is our universe. One just resembles ours.

• Lori says:

she asked her if she loved Henry because Emma said at the very beginning she has the gift to tell if someone is lying.

7. Jen88 says:

Mirror, mirror on the wall…

8. Cantare says:

Whatever it is, I have a feeling it’s going to be a whole lot of fun finding out.

9. Liz says:

Maybe it’s Prince Charming? And that’s why he is in the hospital?

10. emma says:

Me ha encantado!!!

11. Janice says:

She may sacrifice her first born….. remember she is pure evel

12. Lauren Miller says:

Okay, here’s my guess for what the sacrifice is. I think she has to chop down a tree.

Hear me out, the center of the tree (the dark center) is the pith and this is surrounded by heartwood. Then you’ve got the newest rings of growth which is sapwood. They’ve already established that the evil queen has a thing for apples as she tried to poison Snow White with one and then also offered Emma apple cider.

The spoiler preview for the next episode also included the evil queen standing in a garden beside an apple tree. So, my money would be that the ‘heart’ is a play on words to trick the audience and Rumpelstiltskin means the heartwood of a tree.

• Michelle says:

I like this theory. And given her penchant for apples… :)

• Lauren Miller says:

Thanks Michelle! As a independent writer, I think it makes sense but the writers of this show could have a totally different idea of course. I guess we’ll find out on Sunday!

• loa says:

There’s a sneak peek clip on perez hilton (no judgement please) and in it Emma saws off part of one of Regina’s trees, can’t remember the dialogue exactly but it was a warning to her. The first 9 minutes of this episode are on FB and in it regina goes on about how a certain type of apple tree can survive to -40 degrees, whether any storm etc. threatening Emma etc. so the trees and apples definetly have importance to her.

• loved the show says:

i agree.. i thought the same thing.. she loves her apple tree. and snow probably destroyed one of them ..

remember.. the queen was ok with snow until the mirror said she, the queen was no longer the fairest.

the woman is vain, she does not love henry.. she is the personification of evil.. she may have not started that way, but she made her choice, by casting the curse of all curses.. there are no redeeming value to her

as for henry..I think storybook the town will bring all those who come from the alternate universe to it. and that meant henry.the queen/mayor may not know why she wanted to adopt. but she knew she had to. Henry belongs in storybrooke, the question i am curious is

1. does the queen know that henry is the grandchild.. i think yes
      2. I think she was behind the pregnancy too. storybrooke has magic in it, its just under the surface. there but not there

and now it is coming out as the clock ticks.

i laugh at myself for this over analyziation.

13. mikelly says:

The queen loves her beauty (or the perception of it) more than anything else, but does beauty have a heart to sacrifice? The mirror may be it. looking forward to finding out!

14. kristen says:

I agree with Jen88. It’s the mirror.

15. Benita says:

I think she either has a child that she sacrificed or she cut out her own heart. Because I can’t imagine she loves anyone more than herself. But the real question is, what does Rumpelstiltskin get out of this? He’s obviously the one who gave the Queen the curse to begin with, so what does he have to gain? My guess is, HE still remembers everything in the ‘new’ reality.

• Esq says:

Rump gets to run the town. I think that any narcissist would love that power and control even if it means being in another “world”

• loved the show says:

I do not think he knows..

He likes to cause trouble, be it for good or evil.. he gives the curse and the salvation. He tells snow and the prince that the child will save them all.

If I was R. I would rather be in the fairy tale world where i have magical powers than stuck in a town in ME.

i read somewhere.. on teh abc website i think. that he is honorable.

i can see that. Take it or leave it. you made your deal – now keep your end of the bargain.. no one forced you to do it. I offered you accepted.

So R. is your ultimate con artist

• Nicky says:

Rumplestiltskin can see the future. I think he knows. When Emma walked into the hotel and said her name, he had recognition in his eyes and tone of voice.

16. Patti says:

I have no idea but it’s fun just trying to figure it all out. I love all of the little nuances of the show. And after reading comments…I’m going with the tree!! (Esp because of the poison apples)!

17. Amy says:

I agree that Rumplestiltskin remembers, and I think the queen does too. About what she has to sacrifice, my first thought was Henry but she doesn’t love him so I think the mirror is a good guess. It is alive so it can be killed and it’s sort of like killing herself.

18. matthias says:

i think ilike some said it could be her own heart. leaving her ability to love non existant, or the mirror / her beauty or existance in her own universe.

19. Tami says:

Well, I don’t think that the Queen is pure evil, but I think she is full of a lot of hate. Rumpelstiltskin is a trickster, and the purpose of tricksters are to teach lessons, so maybe the Queen has to kill something that eventually will help her change? I don’t think the “thing she loves the most” is a living thing, but a concept of some kind – something she is going to have to give up. But I also think that it’s possible that the thing she has to give up might also have been the thing that was preventing her from healing and recovering from whatever hurt Snow White caused – though I doubt she would have viewed it like that. Now what that thing might be? I have no idea…can’t wait until Sunday!!

20. Sharon says:

As I was reading, it came to me that she sacrificed her mirror, the one that tells her anything she asks in the fairytale world. That would be a huge sacrifice to her to not have that mirror.

21. Dan says:

From the very first time we saw him, he reminded me of Golum. Now he said “precious.” Wow.

22. Angel says:

Her mirrors would be a good theory–I agree with Sharon there. The other theory would be herself. She DOES remember things, as you saw at the end of episode 1. She knows exactly what’s going on and she’s the only one who does… But she walked up to a mirror looking both insecure and determined, and the mirror did nothing. So I think the theory of the heart of the mirror is a good one.

23. Angel says:

I was thinking–her vanity. Her self-esteem. Snow White killed her place as being “fairest of them all” right? So she’d have to give that up somehow.

24. Bridget says:

It may be something to do with power, as my daughter brought up a good question at the end of the 1st episode, she said “So Rumplestillskin owns the city, but he let the queen be the Mayor.” She then, still has SOME power in that role, but clearly he has more. Hmm..

25. Bridget says:

What if Rumple made the queen make him her King? Would he then rule all of the kingdom? It would get him out of jail and put him in the most powerful position there is, wouldn’t it? The queen said she lost everything, that the castle was hers..but even if she gets all she wants, she would not enjoy the power if someone else controlled things.

26. Carameldivo88 says:

I do not think that it would be difficult for the queen to sacrifice the mirror cause what would she need with a mirror if she has Rump to tell her the future. Come on , which would you prefer? To know the future or a mirror who lies to you and tells you that you are pretty all day? However, I am aware that the mirror is essential to the queen’s existence since it tells her all the things that she wants to hear even if those things are lies. Remember, “Mirror, mirror on the wall whose the fairest of them all..” And, maybe what she has to sacrifice is all that she knows along with the power she holds. I also agree with Bridget that in return for making this deal the queen would have to surrender her power to Rump. I can’t wait til Sunday! Someone should create a chatroom or blog for us all to discuss the show perhaps?

27. Michael Sacal says:

It can’t be the mirror, we know that Giancarlo Esposito is playing the mirror in the fantasy world and (as per Deadline) a reporter for a newspaper called The Daily Mirror.

If it was the mirror, how did she sacrifice him, by releasing him? by granting him his freedom?

28. princessjennifer says:

It has to be a person. I re-watched the clip and by the way Rumpelstiltskin asks the question, “Is there no one else you love..?” It must be a person. So a child or person has to be the answer….can’t wait for sunday to find out!

29. Curly says:

I don’t get it, the Evil Queen is so much more hot than Snow White.

Maybe she has to give up the wolf.

30. Jennifer says:

What about the Sheriff? Who was he in the fairytale world? He seems to help the Queen in the more real world.

31. Genie says:

I’m thinking the mirror but does the mirror have a heart. It could be anything or anyone, I don’t care, I am loving this show. I am glad this site is paying it some reverence, unlike another entertainment site that shall remain nameless ewwwwwwwwwww.

32. Shard says:

Me thinks she will pull a Davie Jones… Might explain how very cold she is in the “real” world to which the cursed fairy tales are sent.

33. Christine says:

I am just gonna enjoy another great invented rollorcoaster ride of a show………………Loved trying to figure out Lost( Most creative T.V. show to date). Not real sure about the whole picture of this show yet………..But boy I can already see that it is gonna be great fun trying…..I am waiting patiently for all of the characters entire stories to emerge…….Love Love Love this new mind twister of a show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34. marie says:

I doubt she took him in because she have up her own child. Emma stays in Storybrook because she asked her if she loves him, but she can tell the truth, that she does not.

35. blahdeeblah says:

I think Prince Charming was the one that she loved. I don’t know, it’s just a hunch and it would make a great twist. And he was the only one who “died” before the curse swept everybody away to the real world.

And maybe it was because he was carrying baby Emma, who is the key to breaking the curse, but those black knights really seem intent on taking him down. But I seriously doubt the Evil Queen knows Emma could break the curse so it makes me more convinced that the knights were hunting for Prince Charming.

Plus it would make a great story as to why the Evil Queen’s relationship with Snow White can’t be repaired.

36. paige says:

y’all know in the original story, he main thrill in life was to gaze into a mirror, right? so maybe she gives up that…

37. Dorothy says:

I think it might be Prince Charming. it would be a fabulous twist in the plot… I don’t get why Snow White ruined her life, unless it was stealing the prince from the Queen. When Rumpelstilksen told her to sacrifice who she loved most she said thanks to Snow White there was no one. But there are some other great theories like the tree and the mirror.

38. Blakesley says:

This might be a bit of a stretch, but I’m wondering if the person the Queen is referring to when she said that the thing she loved most died because of Snow White is actually Snow White’s mother? Maybe they were somehow related? In the original story, Snow White’s mother dies after she is born. Just a random idea.

39. Terri says:

Actually in a way the queen did lose the mirror. If you check wikipedia someone is playing the mirror in the real world only in the real world the mirror is a reporter

40. Marty says:

I think she is going to kill her best friend Maleficent(Kristin Bauer)… I also think the sheriff is the Huntsman from Snow White. I read somewhere that he is going to die in a fire and Regina/Evil Queen is going to be responsible and have Sidney/Magic Mirror(Giancarlo Esposito) cover it up.

41. Ashley says:

I’m surprised no one has brought up Snow White’s father. In the original fairy tale, Snow White’s mother dies and the king eventually remarries the “evil” queen. The king fades from the story, but it could be in this incarnation of the story that he died in a way that the queen blamed Snow White. In the clip, Snow seems defiant about ruining the queen’s life. Perhaps she found out her stepmother was a witch and alerted her father, who in turn was killed by his wife — possibly accidentally?

I could be way off track, but it’s a new point of discussion at least!

42. Aisling says:

I definitely have to agree with you, Snow White’s father does seem like a good possibility. He is set to appear and it could also be that the ‘evil’ queen love Snow’s father, killed off his wife so she because she was jealous and when Snow found out she tried to kill her too.
    I not too fused about whether I’m right or not, we’ll find out eventually. But I do love a show that makes you want to talk about it with others

43. Jessica says:

Isn’t this show great?!?! Going through all of your thoughts, I think I am leaning more toward the Evil Queen (when will see have a name, by the way?), King Leopold, and Snow White drama. However, I think the possibility of a child is very, very likely!

Did anyone else notice in the preview for episode 2 the short clip of Evil Queen embracing a tall (male?) figure with a very furry, grey neck??? That really… raised questions for me.

44. charmednotcursed says:

Anyone else cheering for the ‘evil’ queen? Commitment and follow through.

I’m wondering what Snow White cost her. The convo between her and her friend about the curse not bringing people back from the dead implied that Snow White was responsible for the death of someone the Queen loved.

Why does Henry have no loyalty to his adoptive mother?