Glee Scoop: Jonathan Groff Returns as [Spoiler]!

Jonathan Groff is bringing Jesse St. James back to Glee later this season, but there’s a twist — and a juicy one at that: The student has now become the teacher!

At an event celebrating the show’s 300th musical performance on Wednesday, exec producer Ryan Murphy revealed that Groff will appear in multiple episodes as [SPOILER ALERT] the coach of New Directions’ rival choir Vocal Adrenaline. (He was formerly the group’s lead singer.) Murphy added that Glee Project runner-up Alex Newell would ” have many scenes” with Groff.

Glee Spoiler Alert: Fresh Intel on Episode 7, “I Kissed a Girl”

Groff last appeared on Glee in the spring when Jesse returned to make amends with his ex, Rachel (played by Groff’s real-life BFF Lea Michele). Michele immediately took to Twitter to welcome her pal back. “So happy to have my best friend in the world Jonathan Groff back on Glee this year,” she wrote. “Makes me the happiest girl in the world!” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

For Glee Scoop and Spoilers ’round the clock follow me on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

Comments (165)

• I agree with you completely! His voice is spectacular, especially when singing with Lea!

Whoever said their scenes are forced is blind. Sorry, their scenes are anything bit forced. They’re best friends in real life. What they act out on Glee is nothing compared to some of their scenes in Spring Awakening. I think they’re so natural on stage together. I’m not a big fan of how his character has treated Leas character in Glee, but both characters made mistakes on the show. Keyword: characters, not the actors playing them.

Comment by Megan84 – October 26, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope he breaks Finn and Rachel. Can’t stand that couple. I absolutly hate Finn.. Jessie broke an egg on Rachel’s head and still managed to be a better boyfriend to Rachel than Finn is.

Comment by Laura – October 26, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jesse is a huge a hole, and yes Finn is no angel, but Jesse sure as heck ain’t one either. I am not really even that fond of Finn, but guess who is. That would be Rachel. Jesse is nothing to the show. They bring him back just cause fans want it. That is how they messed up season 2. The only good thing about him is his talent. They wont even use it that much since he is only back for 4 episodes. That is dumb. Keep holding on to your hope though.

Comment by Naw – October 26, 2011 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i agreed with you naw jesse had a good voice but that it he is going to cause drama for my favorite couple finchel

Comment by darren – October 26, 2011 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just because he was confused and made 1 mistake doesn’t make him an A-Hole… Why would you let one single moment define a character? Clearly you’ve deluded yourself.

Comment by umm – October 26, 2011 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So much for no guest stars. Seriously glee, this is so dumb. Why bring him back just to have him leave again in 4 episodes. This is the dumbest thing I ever heard. I don’t mind Jesse. I mean he really isn’t that important to me or even to the show if you ask me. He is just another waste of space. I love Groff, but they are wasting his talents. It’s so stupid, and there are already enough characters on this freaking show. However, I do think it will be that much sweeter if ND beat VA and Jesse. That would be awesome. Focus on the ND. I don’t give a crap about the warblers or VA.

Comment by HaHeHo – October 26, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is so happy :) i love groff :) and damien yes please this season of glee will be amazing :)

Comment by Lauren – October 26, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee, please explain why Cheyenne Jackson was on 3 episodes and didn’t sing? What a wasted opportunity. What Genius made that decision?

Comment by John – October 26, 2011 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do you think Ryan Murphey knows you need to have an education to be a teacher? He graduates high school and becomes a teacher? Kk.

Comment by Ema – October 26, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Sunshine Corazon!!!!

Comment by Rhonda – October 26, 2011 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

Comment by NO – October 26, 2011 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who cares? We need more Finn! Cory Monteith is being treated like a second rate citizen on the show he helped launch into the stratosphere. When Finn goes, I know a lot of fans will be following right behind him, whether Groff and Overstreet are there.

Comment by Marti – October 26, 2011 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • honestly if Finn were to leave in the next episode I could not care less. He’s a moron. And I absolutly love Cory, but he can no longer pass as a high school student, he looks so old to play a 17 year old

Comment by Debra – October 26, 2011 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • More Finn is needed. I love Jon, but he serves no purpose anymore. Absolutely NONE. Finn on the other hand has been a main character since pilot time. I am not complaining because I know his story is about to kick off like crazy, but we already have enough characters on the show that don’t help the plot or advance it. The whole Jesse/Rachel thing should be done. She already chose Finn over him, TWICE. Give it up Jesse. The fact that he is coming back for even 1 episode makes no sense. They already ruined his character by making him flunk out of college just so he could apaologize to Rachel. Crappy. Now they are giving up his dream as an actor to come back and coach Vocal A you get it. They have completely ruined a charcater that I didn’t even care about in the first place. That makes it even worse. Cory is central to glee, Jon(as much as I love him) is simply just not. Go away Jesse.

Comment by wooooo – October 26, 2011 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • yep to all and everything you said and plus. Too many characters to have good storylines for. Now there will be bearly a bit here and there for all the cast as is. Minus the Warbler stuff. The Glee project people and Ann Hathaway waste of an episode stuff. Plus whatever fluff is already up their sleeves for the future. Not impressed at all. Great for Lea to have her bestie on the show with her again but again woopee.

Comment by yep – October 26, 2011 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL She chose Finn over Jesse ONCE. The reason why she chose Finn in the first season was because JESSE BROKE UP WITH HER. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. Finchel is a horrible, toxic couple that sends out a bad message to people. They don’t work as a couple for more reasons than you can tell me why they’re meant to be and that’s a fact. Finn’s storyline isn’t important either. Seriously? He’s not even doing anything anymore. All he is doing is being ‘lost’ and being in a relationship with Rachel that’s it.

Comment by ummm – October 26, 2011 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Haha. Oh honey tell us how you really feel. She chose Finn over hime twice. Did you see the way she looked at him in power of madina with Jesse right beside her. The only reason she even dated Jesse was because of what was going on between her and Finn. She chose Finn first in Funeral when she sang a song about him and not Jesse, and when she didn’t kiss Jesse back. She chose Finn in New York when she asked Jesse what he was doing there. It is sad because honestly she uses Jesse the way he used her. Everytime she was with him, and you can’t even count the second time. Is because something is going on with Finn. If you want that kind of relationship for Jesse then go for it.

Comment by SALT – October 27, 2011 11:53 AM PDT
    • ………..I would like to know what show you’re watching, because Glee’s very much been the Finchel show since s1 and it’s getting old.

Comment by CB – November 17, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad!!!! he was the best male vocalist on the show.

Comment by Carlie C – October 26, 2011 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *Squeal* This is the best news ever!

Comment by susan – October 26, 2011 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SOOO happy that jon is back on glee!!! <3

Comment by Vivian – October 26, 2011 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m kind of sick of Jonathan Groff coming in for a couple of episodes a season just to be a douche. I like the idea of Vocal Adrenaline coming back (They’re wasn’t enough of them last season), but the fact that they’re introducing a new villain attached to The Warblers implies that The Warblers are also continuing. I really don’t think they can justify 3 ongoing show choir storylines, as well as Shelby’s Glee Club as well….

Comment by JDHetherington – October 26, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Way too many show choirs kind of stretching out plots for a 1 hr show with 22 episodes. Rather hard to feature Glee’s abundant and most forefront cast as is. Will, Emma, Sue, Rachel, Finn, Kurt, Blaine, Santana, Britanny, Quinn, Puck, Artie, Tina, Mike, Mercedes. Then Jesse, Sam, Lauren, Karofsky, Shelby, Ann Hathaway on a throwaway episode. That’s all I can think of right now. That’s minus the Glee project people Simon, Damian, Harmony character(sorry forgot her name) now Alex. Come on people. How are all the cast to be featured in any way with this many guests on.
      I guess My hopes for a significant and encompassing year for the originals to shine is a no go. That encludes the the awesome and wasted talent of Matt Morrison.

Comment by So what – October 26, 2011 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woopty doo!! More people on the show.

Comment by So what – October 26, 2011 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugggggh Alex. I dont like him. If his characters anything like his normal persona, and I’m pretty sure he can’t act any other way, its going to be so hard to watch. He really annoyed me during TGP, the way he was always butting in on everyones dance routines. Please dont give him major screen time! Maybe Jon Groff can tone him down!

Comment by Kat – October 26, 2011 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • …..why him….put Sunshine Corazon instead and that would give a better story!

Comment by quake – October 26, 2011 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As if anyone would give Jesse St. James a teaching license…. -eyeroll-

Comment by LC – October 26, 2011 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not really going with reality at all on this one. Being that his character is years out of high school and apparently dropped out of college, no high school would actually hire him to be a teacher. But other than that I’m not too happy, his character annoys me.

Comment by Dani – October 26, 2011 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Glee coach doesn’t have to be a teacher at the school to be the coach. Besides, the school hired Will to teach spanish, because you know taking 4 years in high school totally makes you an expert.

Comment by Susan – October 26, 2011 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poor him. It’s obvious the Glee opnly want him back to stir things up between Finn and Rachel only to make them closer together in the end. Show more respect towards minor characters Glee. Rachel didn’t even apologize to him about dating him when she still had feelings for Finn.

Comment by Corn – October 26, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you’re talking end of s2 Rachel and Finn weren’t dating Finn was with Quinn till Funeral and Rachel thought Finn was over her and she was considering letting go and moving on without Finn as her dream was New York anyway. No Finn in her life at that time. Why should Rachel apologize to Jesse for dating him for either s1 or s2. Finn was out of the picture s1 and she told Finn so. Sorry don’t understand your comment at all.

Comment by yep – October 26, 2011 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I guess this is another Rachel is at fault again. When she had no control over Finn and his actions. Yes, she has always had feelings for Finn and was upfront with him. She does not need to or does Jesse deserve any apology from Rachel for that matter anyway.It was half way nice apology he gave her for egging her and hurting her feelings.

Comment by So what – October 26, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Read before you comment! Corn wants Rachel to apologize for using Jesse to get over Finn who is a loser anyway. Finn is a spineless wimp who gets off on Rachel’s hero worship. Rachel only dated Jesse cause Finny was too busy screwing Santana, which is what she has to apologize for.

Comment by dude – October 26, 2011 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Finn is a loser? Jesse is a guy who has flunked out of college, gave up on his dream to come back and be the coach of his high school glee club. Haha. Finn haters amuse me. Jesse is the biggest Lima loser of them all. I mean really the guy is not only a jerk(a cute one) but he is also a failure. Was it his dream to coach a high school glee club? No I don’t think so. I think it was to become an actor or something like that. Yeah, that is why he played Rachel remember? To get practice for acting. Maybe you don’t though. Whatevs. Jesse as a character is funny, but that is it. He is just not important at all. Jesse and Rachel is and should be at least, done. She already picked Finn over him two times. I seriously love Jon, but Jesse is a huge loser. People can hate on Finn all they want, but he is figuring out his dream and what he wants to do. Jesse flunked out of school, came back for Rachel, and she basically said no. It looks really sad on Jesses character that he is back. And no Rachel should not apologize to him at all. She didn’t want him. And I love Rachel, but she is no angel. She still shouldn’t, and I don’t even care if he said sorry to her. He needs to stay away from this show that already has too many characters. C’mon glee.

Comment by I love Finn – October 26, 2011 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • LOLOK. Flunking out of college makes you a loser now, tickle me. No, don’t. I can laugh altogether by all these piece of crappy jokes. Did you know most of the glee actors haven’t finished/went to college? Wow, I know you love Finn, but dude, not going to college DOES NOT and WILL NEVER make you a loser. Your argument is invalid.

Comment by AT – October 26, 2011 08:30 PM PDT
          • Flunking out? Yes it does because thats is what they make it in the show. We are not talking abouth the actors themselves. I believe the statment was Finn is a loser, not Cory. Not going to college does not make you a loser at all, but flunking out does. At least it does on this show. Haha tickle you? No thank you. Have that loser Jesse do it.

Comment by I love Finn – October 26, 2011 08:55 PM PDT
          • Oh lawd. You really are a Jesse hater. But whatevs. He’s coming back and there’s nothing any loser-labeling arse can do abt it. :D

Comment by AT – October 26, 2011 10:25 PM PDT
  • Yay!! and now i will be watching this Show again, thank u Jon Groff!! Love Jesse <3

Comment by Katie – October 26, 2011 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hahahahaha oh god. you’re right. r.i.p. jesse

Comment by tiffany – October 26, 2011 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i am not happy with jesse returning he is going to mess up finn and rachel finchel perfect relationship

Comment by darren – October 26, 2011 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Finchel sucks so he couldn’t possibly mess up anything. In fact he could only make things better b/c Cory can’t act, sing, or dance while Jonathon can do all 3.

Comment by selena – October 26, 2011 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • In my opinion Cory is a much better actor than Jon. That is just me though. Don’t go around hating though. I don’t think he will cause Finn and Rachel specifically that much trouble. I think he will cause new directions as a whole trouble. If they do bring him back for finchel again that is just stupid. We have done this twice, and she does not want to be with him. She has made that clear. It would truly be horrible for all of th actors to revisit that, because it would be dumb and a watse of time. St. Berry needs to be over. Let finchel do what they do, and let Jesse do what he does. I say though, this is really dumb bringing his character back. He has no real meaning to the show. I am looking forward to them beating him and vocal adrinaline though(I hope they do at least).

Comment by Selena 2 – October 26, 2011 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First Glee news to excite me in a long time. He’ll come back in the perfect role to play evil Jesse, and JGroff does evil Jesse exquisitely. He won’t mess up Rachel and Finn, and will present a challenge to Finn to live into his own self confidence (at least, this is what should logically happen, building on Seasons 1 & 2). A story for Finn and the return of a great villain and the potential to even see some directorial rivalry between Jesse and Shelby as the student challenges the master former teacher: there’s a lot of good that could happen here!

Comment by STW – October 26, 2011 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poor Jon. Only brought back because glee is taking a nosedive with the ratings. That’s what you get when you write the most horrible pairing getting together in the most horrible season finale ever written. They lose 5 million viewers and now are trying to grasp at whatever they can to keep viewers interested. I kind of wish Jon would say no and walk away from the mess that is glee. Go guest star on Smash when it finally comes out, Jon.

Comment by Josh – October 26, 2011 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is an open letter to the Glee Writers & Ryan Murphy:

Stop writing to what the blogs, fans, and message boards say about the show. They end up undermining any good intentions and thought-out plans they have at the beginning of the season. You don’t see The Good Wife or Parenthood writing to the fans. Isn’t surprising your audience the best thing to do to make your show successful…not writing to please them all the time? Well your plans are backfiring…even diehard fans, such as myself are hating this season thus far. Secondly, use song that enhance or tie into the show…stop shoehorning songs just because they are currently popular.

I love this show and hate seeing it go down in flames.

Comment by Chris – October 27, 2011 03:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just to be clear, but are you listing Jonathon Groff’s return as caving to the fans and ruining the show? I watched the first season of Glee and loved it but Season 2 was horrible. Now season 3 doesn’t sound to be any better, and love or hate him I doubt Jesse could make this show much worse. If you watched The Glee Project then you know Ryan Murphy doesn’t care what others want the bottom line is what he wants. He wanted Cameron from TGP to win so he could write an extreme Christian and even when Cameron quit Ryan wouldn’t leave the poor kid alone.

Comment by lacey – October 27, 2011 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Jonathan Groff and I think he has far more chemistry with Lea Michele than she has with Cory Monteith. Besides, his acting and singing are insane. All I wonder is, will they bring back smart-albeit-cunning season 1 Jesse or rather dim-witted-and-aloof season 2 Jesse? ‘Cause I’d prefer the first by a country mile… And I could do without Alex, too. And please, no Finn-Jesse-Rachel love triangle, that would be a complete waste of Groff’s time. And of mine, too.

Comment by Lea – October 27, 2011 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I never cared for Alex and thought he came off as a total diva. I know he claims he had a bad edit but he was outright rude to other people.

Comment by lacey – October 27, 2011 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. He has a great voice, but I think he came off as arrogant, but without having worked all that much. He was in the bottom three more often than anyone else except Cameron and still behaved like a diva. He also seemed to cause lots of drama. Of course, we’ll never know whether he actually got a bad edit, but I didn’t find him sympathetic in interviews, either.

Comment by Lea – October 27, 2011 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!! I love Jesse!!!

Comment by O – October 27, 2011 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • seriously?? we have to sit through more of him?? ugh…so not happy

Comment by lucas – October 27, 2011 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is that just a bad picture, or is he really cross-eyed?

Comment by Doris – October 27, 2011 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, I have no idea who Alex is and I really don’t care b/c all that matters is that Jon Groff will be back on my television playing my favorite Glee character, Jesse St. James. Give me a little St. Berry and all will be right in the Glee-verse again.

Comment by Amy Leigh – October 27, 2011 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was one of the contestants on The Glee Project, a reality show where the winner would receive a role on Glee. Ryan Murphy decided that he liked the final 4 contestants so much that they would all receive a prize.

Comment by lacey – October 28, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • did he really go anywhere? he kinda just disappeared after rachael and finn kissed. kinda random that cheyenne jackson was brough on but never had a story. making jesse the coach of vocal adrelaline is almost as stupid as bringing shelby back as the coach of the other club at mckinley, i love that she’s back but why all the preface, just say that she’s back cuz she wanted quinn and puck to be involved, so same with jesse,just say that he’s still around for rachael

Comment by shawn – October 27, 2011 10:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To do things the way you suggested would make too much sense and Glee is known for making little to no sense.

Comment by Laney – October 28, 2011 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Look i love him on Glee but this year was supposed to be about other stuff right? I don’t want him back. Its just pathetic really. Glee do one thing one week then decide to go in another direction the next. I love Glee i really do but this is getting beyond a joke now.

Comment by Guy – October 28, 2011 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I lovee jesse st james!!! St. Berry again yeah!! Supercool im back to see glee again..because always the same history rachel nd finn finn and rachel pleaseee!! i think rachel back to jesse ’cause finn back to quinn in s2…perfect match.. Jesse regular!!!yay

Comment by Lulu – November 1, 2011 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!!!!!!!!! Im totally praying for St. berry!! ;)

Comment by Kayla – December 23, 2011 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post