Glee Scoop: Jonathan Groff Returns as [Spoiler]!

Jonathan Groff is bringing Jesse St. James back to Glee later this season, but there’s a twist — and a juicy one at that: The student has now become the teacher!

At an event celebrating the show’s 300th musical performance on Wednesday, exec producer Ryan Murphy revealed that Groff will appear in multiple episodes as [SPOILER ALERT] the coach of New Directions’ rival choir Vocal Adrenaline. (He was formerly the group’s lead singer.) Murphy added that Glee Project runner-up Alex Newell would ” have many scenes” with Groff.

Glee Spoiler Alert: Fresh Intel on Episode 7, “I Kissed a Girl”

Groff last appeared on Glee in the spring when Jesse returned to make amends with his ex, Rachel (played by Groff’s real-life BFF Lea Michele). Michele immediately took to Twitter to welcome her pal back. “So happy to have my best friend in the world Jonathan Groff back on Glee this year,” she wrote. “Makes me the happiest girl in the world!” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

For Glee Scoop and Spoilers ’round the clock follow me on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Glee, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Megan84 says:

I agree with you completely! His voice is spectacular, especially when singing with Lea!

Whoever said their scenes are forced is blind. Sorry, their scenes are anything bit forced. They’re best friends in real life. What they act out on Glee is nothing compared to some of their scenes in Spring Awakening. I think they’re so natural on stage together. I’m not a big fan of how his character has treated Leas character in Glee, but both characters made mistakes on the show. Keyword: characters, not the actors playing them.

2. Laura says:

Hope he breaks Finn and Rachel. Can’t stand that couple. I absolutly hate Finn.. Jessie broke an egg on Rachel’s head and still managed to be a better boyfriend to Rachel than Finn is.

• Naw says:

Jesse is a huge a hole, and yes Finn is no angel, but Jesse sure as heck ain’t one either. I am not really even that fond of Finn, but guess who is. That would be Rachel. Jesse is nothing to the show. They bring him back just cause fans want it. That is how they messed up season 2. The only good thing about him is his talent. They wont even use it that much since he is only back for 4 episodes. That is dumb. Keep holding on to your hope though.

• darren says:

i agreed with you naw jesse had a good voice but that it he is going to cause drama for my favorite couple finchel

• umm says:

Just because he was confused and made 1 mistake doesn’t make him an A-Hole… Why would you let one single moment define a character? Clearly you’ve deluded yourself.

3. HaHeHo says:

So much for no guest stars. Seriously glee, this is so dumb. Why bring him back just to have him leave again in 4 episodes. This is the dumbest thing I ever heard. I don’t mind Jesse. I mean he really isn’t that important to me or even to the show if you ask me. He is just another waste of space. I love Groff, but they are wasting his talents. It’s so stupid, and there are already enough characters on this freaking show. However, I do think it will be that much sweeter if ND beat VA and Jesse. That would be awesome. Focus on the ND. I don’t give a crap about the warblers or VA.

4. Lauren says:

Is so happy :) i love groff :) and damien yes please this season of glee will be amazing :)

5. John says:

Glee, please explain why Cheyenne Jackson was on 3 episodes and didn’t sing? What a wasted opportunity. What Genius made that decision?

6. Ema says:

Do you think Ryan Murphey knows you need to have an education to be a teacher? He graduates high school and becomes a teacher? Kk.

7. Rhonda says:

Bring back Sunshine Corazon!!!!

• NO says:

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

8. Marti says:

Who cares? We need more Finn! Cory Monteith is being treated like a second rate citizen on the show he helped launch into the stratosphere. When Finn goes, I know a lot of fans will be following right behind him, whether Groff and Overstreet are there.

• Debra says:

honestly if Finn were to leave in the next episode I could not care less. He’s a moron. And I absolutly love Cory, but he can no longer pass as a high school student, he looks so old to play a 17 year old

• wooooo says:

More Finn is needed. I love Jon, but he serves no purpose anymore. Absolutely NONE. Finn on the other hand has been a main character since pilot time. I am not complaining because I know his story is about to kick off like crazy, but we already have enough characters on the show that don’t help the plot or advance it. The whole Jesse/Rachel thing should be done. She already chose Finn over him, TWICE. Give it up Jesse. The fact that he is coming back for even 1 episode makes no sense. They already ruined his character by making him flunk out of college just so he could apaologize to Rachel. Crappy. Now they are giving up his dream as an actor to come back and coach Vocal A you get it. They have completely ruined a charcater that I didn’t even care about in the first place. That makes it even worse. Cory is central to glee, Jon(as much as I love him) is simply just not. Go away Jesse.

• yep says:

yep to all and everything you said and plus. Too many characters to have good storylines for. Now there will be bearly a bit here and there for all the cast as is. Minus the Warbler stuff. The Glee project people and Ann Hathaway waste of an episode stuff. Plus whatever fluff is already up their sleeves for the future. Not impressed at all. Great for Lea to have her bestie on the show with her again but again woopee.

• ummm says:

LOL She chose Finn over Jesse ONCE. The reason why she chose Finn in the first season was because JESSE BROKE UP WITH HER. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. Finchel is a horrible, toxic couple that sends out a bad message to people. They don’t work as a couple for more reasons than you can tell me why they’re meant to be and that’s a fact. Finn’s storyline isn’t important either. Seriously? He’s not even doing anything anymore. All he is doing is being ‘lost’ and being in a relationship with Rachel that’s it.

• SALT says:

Haha. Oh honey tell us how you really feel. She chose Finn over hime twice. Did you see the way she looked at him in power of madina with Jesse right beside her. The only reason she even dated Jesse was because of what was going on between her and Finn. She chose Finn first in Funeral when she sang a song about him and not Jesse, and when she didn’t kiss Jesse back. She chose Finn in New York when she asked Jesse what he was doing there. It is sad because honestly she uses Jesse the way he used her. Everytime she was with him, and you can’t even count the second time. Is because something is going on with Finn. If you want that kind of relationship for Jesse then go for it.

• CB says:

………..I would like to know what show you’re watching, because Glee’s very much been the Finchel show since s1 and it’s getting old.

9. Carlie C says:

I’m so glad!!!! he was the best male vocalist on the show.

10. susan says:

*Squeal* This is the best news ever!

11. Vivian says:

SOOO happy that jon is back on glee!!! <3

12. JDHetherington says:

I’m kind of sick of Jonathan Groff coming in for a couple of episodes a season just to be a douche. I like the idea of Vocal Adrenaline coming back (They’re wasn’t enough of them last season), but the fact that they’re introducing a new villain attached to The Warblers implies that The Warblers are also continuing. I really don’t think they can justify 3 ongoing show choir storylines, as well as Shelby’s Glee Club as well….

• So what says:

Way too many show choirs kind of stretching out plots for a 1 hr show with 22 episodes. Rather hard to feature Glee’s abundant and most forefront cast as is. Will, Emma, Sue, Rachel, Finn, Kurt, Blaine, Santana, Britanny, Quinn, Puck, Artie, Tina, Mike, Mercedes. Then Jesse, Sam, Lauren, Karofsky, Shelby, Ann Hathaway on a throwaway episode. That’s all I can think of right now. That’s minus the Glee project people Simon, Damian, Harmony character(sorry forgot her name) now Alex. Come on people. How are all the cast to be featured in any way with this many guests on.
      I guess My hopes for a significant and encompassing year for the originals to shine is a no go. That encludes the the awesome and wasted talent of Matt Morrison.

13. So what says:

Woopty doo!! More people on the show.

14. Kat says:

Ugggggh Alex. I dont like him. If his characters anything like his normal persona, and I’m pretty sure he can’t act any other way, its going to be so hard to watch. He really annoyed me during TGP, the way he was always butting in on everyones dance routines. Please dont give him major screen time! Maybe Jon Groff can tone him down!

15. quake says:

…..why him….put Sunshine Corazon instead and that would give a better story!

16. LC says:

As if anyone would give Jesse St. James a teaching license…. -eyeroll-

17. Dani says:

Not really going with reality at all on this one. Being that his character is years out of high school and apparently dropped out of college, no high school would actually hire him to be a teacher. But other than that I’m not too happy, his character annoys me.

• Susan says:

The Glee coach doesn’t have to be a teacher at the school to be the coach. Besides, the school hired Will to teach spanish, because you know taking 4 years in high school totally makes you an expert.

18. Corn says:

Poor him. It’s obvious the Glee opnly want him back to stir things up between Finn and Rachel only to make them closer together in the end. Show more respect towards minor characters Glee. Rachel didn’t even apologize to him about dating him when she still had feelings for Finn.

• yep says:

If you’re talking end of s2 Rachel and Finn weren’t dating Finn was with Quinn till Funeral and Rachel thought Finn was over her and she was considering letting go and moving on without Finn as her dream was New York anyway. No Finn in her life at that time. Why should Rachel apologize to Jesse for dating him for either s1 or s2. Finn was out of the picture s1 and she told Finn so. Sorry don’t understand your comment at all.

• So what says:

I guess this is another Rachel is at fault again. When she had no control over Finn and his actions. Yes, she has always had feelings for Finn and was upfront with him. She does not need to or does Jesse deserve any apology from Rachel for that matter anyway.It was half way nice apology he gave her for egging her and hurting her feelings.

• dude says:

Read before you comment! Corn wants Rachel to apologize for using Jesse to get over Finn who is a loser anyway. Finn is a spineless wimp who gets off on Rachel’s hero worship. Rachel only dated Jesse cause Finny was too busy screwing Santana, which is what she has to apologize for.

• I love Finn says:

Finn is a loser? Jesse is a guy who has flunked out of college, gave up on his dream to come back and be the coach of his high school glee club. Haha. Finn haters amuse me. Jesse is the biggest Lima loser of them all. I mean really the guy is not only a jerk(a cute one) but he is also a failure. Was it his dream to coach a high school glee club? No I don’t think so. I think it was to become an actor or something like that. Yeah, that is why he played Rachel remember? To get practice for acting. Maybe you don’t though. Whatevs. Jesse as a character is funny, but that is it. He is just not important at all. Jesse and Rachel is and should be at least, done. She already picked Finn over him two times. I seriously love Jon, but Jesse is a huge loser. People can hate on Finn all they want, but he is figuring out his dream and what he wants to do. Jesse flunked out of school, came back for Rachel, and she basically said no. It looks really sad on Jesses character that he is back. And no Rachel should not apologize to him at all. She didn’t want him. And I love Rachel, but she is no angel. She still shouldn’t, and I don’t even care if he said sorry to her. He needs to stay away from this show that already has too many characters. C’mon glee.

• AT says:

LOLOK. Flunking out of college makes you a loser now, tickle me. No, don’t. I can laugh altogether by all these piece of crappy jokes. Did you know most of the glee actors haven’t finished/went to college? Wow, I know you love Finn, but dude, not going to college DOES NOT and WILL NEVER make you a loser. Your argument is invalid.

• I love Finn says:

Flunking out? Yes it does because thats is what they make it in the show. We are not talking abouth the actors themselves. I believe the statment was Finn is a loser, not Cory. Not going to college does not make you a loser at all, but flunking out does. At least it does on this show. Haha tickle you? No thank you. Have that loser Jesse do it.

• AT says:

Oh lawd. You really are a Jesse hater. But whatevs. He’s coming back and there’s nothing any loser-labeling arse can do abt it. :D

19. Katie says:

Yay!! and now i will be watching this Show again, thank u Jon Groff!! Love Jesse <3

20. tiffany says:

hahahahaha oh god. you’re right. r.i.p. jesse

21. darren says:

i am not happy with jesse returning he is going to mess up finn and rachel finchel perfect relationship

• selena says:

Finchel sucks so he couldn’t possibly mess up anything. In fact he could only make things better b/c Cory can’t act, sing, or dance while Jonathon can do all 3.

• Selena 2 says:

In my opinion Cory is a much better actor than Jon. That is just me though. Don’t go around hating though. I don’t think he will cause Finn and Rachel specifically that much trouble. I think he will cause new directions as a whole trouble. If they do bring him back for finchel again that is just stupid. We have done this twice, and she does not want to be with him. She has made that clear. It would truly be horrible for all of th actors to revisit that, because it would be dumb and a watse of time. St. Berry needs to be over. Let finchel do what they do, and let Jesse do what he does. I say though, this is really dumb bringing his character back. He has no real meaning to the show. I am looking forward to them beating him and vocal adrinaline though(I hope they do at least).

22. STW says:

First Glee news to excite me in a long time. He’ll come back in the perfect role to play evil Jesse, and JGroff does evil Jesse exquisitely. He won’t mess up Rachel and Finn, and will present a challenge to Finn to live into his own self confidence (at least, this is what should logically happen, building on Seasons 1 & 2). A story for Finn and the return of a great villain and the potential to even see some directorial rivalry between Jesse and Shelby as the student challenges the master former teacher: there’s a lot of good that could happen here!

23. Josh says:

Poor Jon. Only brought back because glee is taking a nosedive with the ratings. That’s what you get when you write the most horrible pairing getting together in the most horrible season finale ever written. They lose 5 million viewers and now are trying to grasp at whatever they can to keep viewers interested. I kind of wish Jon would say no and walk away from the mess that is glee. Go guest star on Smash when it finally comes out, Jon.

24. Chris says:

This is an open letter to the Glee Writers & Ryan Murphy:

Stop writing to what the blogs, fans, and message boards say about the show. They end up undermining any good intentions and thought-out plans they have at the beginning of the season. You don’t see The Good Wife or Parenthood writing to the fans. Isn’t surprising your audience the best thing to do to make your show successful…not writing to please them all the time? Well your plans are backfiring…even diehard fans, such as myself are hating this season thus far. Secondly, use song that enhance or tie into the show…stop shoehorning songs just because they are currently popular.

I love this show and hate seeing it go down in flames.

• lacey says:

Just to be clear, but are you listing Jonathon Groff’s return as caving to the fans and ruining the show? I watched the first season of Glee and loved it but Season 2 was horrible. Now season 3 doesn’t sound to be any better, and love or hate him I doubt Jesse could make this show much worse. If you watched The Glee Project then you know Ryan Murphy doesn’t care what others want the bottom line is what he wants. He wanted Cameron from TGP to win so he could write an extreme Christian and even when Cameron quit Ryan wouldn’t leave the poor kid alone.

25. Lea says:

I love Jonathan Groff and I think he has far more chemistry with Lea Michele than she has with Cory Monteith. Besides, his acting and singing are insane. All I wonder is, will they bring back smart-albeit-cunning season 1 Jesse or rather dim-witted-and-aloof season 2 Jesse? ‘Cause I’d prefer the first by a country mile… And I could do without Alex, too. And please, no Finn-Jesse-Rachel love triangle, that would be a complete waste of Groff’s time. And of mine, too.

• lacey says:

I never cared for Alex and thought he came off as a total diva. I know he claims he had a bad edit but he was outright rude to other people.

• Lea says:

Agreed. He has a great voice, but I think he came off as arrogant, but without having worked all that much. He was in the bottom three more often than anyone else except Cameron and still behaved like a diva. He also seemed to cause lots of drama. Of course, we’ll never know whether he actually got a bad edit, but I didn’t find him sympathetic in interviews, either.

26. O says:

YES!! I love Jesse!!!

27. lucas says:

seriously?? we have to sit through more of him?? ugh…so not happy

28. Doris says:

Is that just a bad picture, or is he really cross-eyed?

29. Amy Leigh says:

Honestly, I have no idea who Alex is and I really don’t care b/c all that matters is that Jon Groff will be back on my television playing my favorite Glee character, Jesse St. James. Give me a little St. Berry and all will be right in the Glee-verse again.

• lacey says:

He was one of the contestants on The Glee Project, a reality show where the winner would receive a role on Glee. Ryan Murphy decided that he liked the final 4 contestants so much that they would all receive a prize.

30. shawn says:

did he really go anywhere? he kinda just disappeared after rachael and finn kissed. kinda random that cheyenne jackson was brough on but never had a story. making jesse the coach of vocal adrelaline is almost as stupid as bringing shelby back as the coach of the other club at mckinley, i love that she’s back but why all the preface, just say that she’s back cuz she wanted quinn and puck to be involved, so same with jesse,just say that he’s still around for rachael

31. Guy says:

Look i love him on Glee but this year was supposed to be about other stuff right? I don’t want him back. Its just pathetic really. Glee do one thing one week then decide to go in another direction the next. I love Glee i really do but this is getting beyond a joke now.

32. Lulu says:

I lovee jesse st james!!! St. Berry again yeah!! Supercool im back to see glee again..because always the same history rachel nd finn finn and rachel pleaseee!! i think rachel back to jesse ’cause finn back to quinn in s2…perfect match.. Jesse regular!!!yay

33. Kayla says:

YAY!!!!!!!!!! Im totally praying for St. berry!! ;)