Dancing With the Stars Recap: Mad Maks

I’ve always harbored a secret dream of seeing SuperNanny Jo Frost cast on Dancing With the Stars, but never moreso than during this week’s blowout battle between Maksim Chmerkovskiy and our maddening panel of judges. The thing is, though, I’m not sure who was more in need of some stern British discipline.

Oh sure, Maks should’ve been sent directly to the Naughty Step — without passing go, and without collecting $200 — for freaking out over a not-unwarranted negative critique and suggesting Len Goodman was too old for primetime, but there was a legitimate point behind his temper tantrum: Some dancers get big gold stars from Carrie Ann, Len, and Bruno just for putting in the effort, while others get critiqued right down to their heel leads.

It’s a fair point, as is the fact that if you’re partnered with, say, Karina or Tony, you’re generally going to get far less effusive feedback than if you’re dancing with, say, Cheryl or Derek. But that’s the way the mirrorball refracts, as they say.

Let’s review how Broadway Week (aka the first week after Carson’s ouster) played out:

Dance of the Night: J.R. Martinez and Karina Smirnoff (Quickstep)
Did we need the whole “he’s perusing the newspaper” and “she’s a famous songbird” setup? Probably as much as our contestants need Brooke Burke’s probing cue-card readings right before they get their scores. But why complain (or even consider a ‘9’ paddle, Len) when the duo’s lightning-fast footwork and undeniable exuberance (complete with J.R.’s freshly patented tongue wag) provided the telecast’s most joyous segment? Bruno, take it away…TEN!

Runner-Up: David Arquette and Kym Johnson (Quickstep)
If I had to use alliteration to describe David and Kym’s routine (set to Grease’s “We Go Together”), I’d choose fun, flirty, and flawed. But in a season where the overall quality of dance has been slightly below par, it’s contestants like David — who doesn’t have to remember to act like he’s having fun, because he actually is having fun — that ensure DWTS maintains its status as appointment television. Plus, dude seriously needs to adopt the pompadour as his signature hairstyle. I’m not even kidding.

Will Go Home: Chaz Bono and Lacey Schwimmer (Tango)
Yes, Chaz is still getting the “everyone has their own journey on this show” critiques (um, thanks, Carrie Ann?) but at least everybody’s stopped pretending that Cher’s son is (to borrow a Randy Jackson-ism) in it to win it. Bruno said it best that Chaz’s “Phantom of the Opera” tango, complete with too-early-for-Halloween Phantom Mask, was akin to watching a “cute little penguin” try to play a menacing bird of prey. And at this point in the DWTS season, Lacey is bringing 100% of the “Dancing,” 90% of the “With,” and 95% of the “Stars.” Chaz is only responsible for the “The,” and alas, that’s not enough.

Should Go Home: Nancy Grace and Tristan MacManus (Fox Trot)
Okay, so maybe Casey Anthony’s Enemy No. 1 outdanced Chaz and Hope this week (though her leaderboard position over David and Rob is Rated JP…for Judges, Please). But honestly, I don’t want to have to endure another week of this woman bitching and moaning about being displeased with Tristan’s jaunty choreography. And more importantly, I don’t want Tristan to have to endure another week of this woman bitching and moaning about being displeased with his jaunty choreography. (Choreography that, I might add, Nancy delivered competently, but without any joy.) I’d suggest Nancy study Carson’s old rehearsal montages for tips on humility, charm, and self-deprecating humor, but I’m guessing she’d probably just use them to point out flaws in Anna’s routines.

Biggest Music and Fashion Predicament: Hope Solo and Maksim Chmerkovskiy (Rhumba)
Okay, so Maks flew off the handle this week, but I’d have been in a cranky mood too if I’d been forced to dance a rhumba to Rent‘s “Seasons of Love.” I mean, what next, a Viennese Waltz to House of Pain’s “Jump Around”? While the music was incongruous, though, I thought that Hope’s attitude was more open during rehearsals, and it was evident in her improved hairography. I just wish she’d worn some proper dancing shoes instead of clomping around in those heavy-duty snowboots.

Was That Really Worthy of the ’10’ Paddle?: Ricki Lake and Derek Hough (Quickstep)
You knew Ricki was going to deliver a solid performance when she got the patented “redemption edit” in rehearsals. But while the couple’s “Luck Be a Lady” routine was beautifully choreographed, I thought it lacked just a little of the luster of their Psycho tango, or some of their other greatest hits. Heck, Derek’s lipsynching alone was enough to knock it down a point. But then again, after Carrie Ann used the ‘9’ paddle on Nancy, where else could she go but ’10’ for Derek and Ricki?

Couple I Can’t Bring Myself to Get Excited About: Rob Kardashian and Cheryl Burke
The judges seem to think Rob is a legit Top 3 contender, but it always looks to me like the guy is in a step aerobics class and desperately counting in his head to keep up with the hot instructor. Plus, I just can’t deal with the “not a boy, not yet a man” theme being foisted on us by Rob’s own mother, unless of course “manhood” can be described as the tender age at which a youth proves he has enough of a public following to score his own reality spinoff and contribute accordingly to the family juggernaut.

Brooke’s Inappropriate Question of the Week (To Ricki)
“How much weight have you lost?”

Weirdest Personal DWTS Reverie
I don’t even know why I’m sharing this, but I got my biggest laugh of the night after Chaz’s low scores came in and our Robot Hostess asked how he was feeling. “There’s not much to say, is there?” said Chaz, and suddenly Brooke got all empathetic: “I can relate,” she said, as though she’d been some kind of midpack player, and not the eventual winner of DWTS‘ seventh season. At which point, I began imagining Brooke in LOLCats mode: “I can haz relate?” And suddenly, everything she said and did finally made sense.

Line of the Night
“We’re not dead yet. Liiiive!” –Tom Bergeron cueing up Nancy’s Spamalot-themed dance

And now, for this week’s scores

Judges’ Leaderboard (Carrie Ann, Len, Bruno: Total)
Ricki Lake and Derek Hough: 10, 9, 10: 29
J.R. Martinez and Karina Smirnoff: 10, 9, 10: 29
Nancy Grace and Tristan MacManus: 9, 7, 8: 24
David Arquette and Kym Johnson: 8, 7, 8: 23
Rob Kardashian and Cheryl Burke: 8, 7, 7: 22.
Hope Solo and Maksim Chmerkovskiy: 7, 6, 7: 20
Chaz Bono and Lacey Schwimmer: 7, 6, 6: 19

What did you think of this week’s DWTS? Who was your favorite couple? Where do you stand on Maksimgate? Who do you think will and should go home? Sound off below!

1. Stephanie says:

Time to replace Brooke with Carson!

Go Maks! The number one reason I watch this show!

• Kate says:

Yes yes yes to Carson! He brings so much more to the table than Brooke. Her interviews are too painful to watch.

• paula andrade says:

I am with max last night these dancers are trying there best working 10 hrs or more each day and some of these dancers are getting commented by the judges.I think hope did a great job last night so what len said was not right and i’m glad max stood up for his partner if len can do better than he should be on dancing with the stars i voted for hope and max over and over last night keep up the great work and no matter what you will always get my vote screw len!!!!!!!

• Kim R says:

Yes….emphatically to the Carson replacing Brooke idea!!!!! :)
      Okay…when Len said he has been in the business for 50 years, Maks should not have made a personal jab…BUT….I totally agree with Maks that there should be more of a level field in the judging critiques. They give points, it seems, for putting in an effort despite the fact that technically it is not so good and then discount points because someone had their head tilted in the wrong direction. I don’t think that is fair and I can see why Maks was upset. I don’t think Hope deserved a 6 and Ricki did a fantastic job & got called out about her tilt!

• Lynn says:

Love the idea to replace Brook with Carson. I doubt Tom B. would allow the competition though.

• anon says:

They really should fire Brooke Brooke Char-vay. She is horrible. I wished they went with Drew Lachey. He did very well when Samantha was on maternity leave. I’m good w/ Carson too. Really Brooke is driving this series down.

• dan says:

Samantha is looking better and better as each week goes by…and I hated her in the job! At least Brooke is nice to look at. I think Tom would love Carson to have a permanent job on the show (with or without Brooke; the show makes enough money that they could afford both of them). C’mon producers, think about adding Carson to the weekly mix.

2. Kendal says:

Maks was well within his rights to say what he said. There’s a way to give out constructive criticism and Len doesn’t know how to do that. Maks & Hope got most of my votes last night.

And I agree with Stephanie – Brooke needs to go. She needed to go after her first episode of presenting. Carson would be a flawless host!!

• Anna says:

I understand where Maks is coming from as they nitpick Hope to death while bending over backwards to treat Chaz as though he’s a child; although he certainly acts like one. Every time he gets criticized he looks like he’s about to cry.

• Roxie says:

I think it is time for Len to go. I agree that Carson should replace Brooke. Chaz should have been voted off 2nd. Just my opinion. I vote for Ricki to win.

• chistosa says:

I have to disagree with you Kendal. Maks was not within his rights to be so disrespectful. Len was harsh, but not inaccurate. It was not a good performance. The critique, minus the “your worst dance to date” comment, was dead center. She has not grown like the others have. And wasn’t Maks a bit hipocritical as he disrespected Hope in rehearsal telling her everyone had given up hope for her. Judges are there to judge. If she had given the performance of the night I might agree that Maks had a right to question the critique, not disrespectfully suggest that Len should quit because he is too old. But that was not the case. It was a poor performance and she was called on it. He was totally out of line.

• Marilyn says:

I understand the judges are there to judge…..but I think Len went too far with saying Hope should wear heels!. It’s not a clothes contest, it’s judging the best dancer. It may not have been Hope & Nak’s best night but I still think they are good. I think Mak’s remarks to Hope were only to try and get her to put more into the dance. She is an athlete and I know she can do better. Len’s remark about the heels and also that it was part Mak’s fault also I thought was unappropriate. He is critisizing a professional dancer and that’s why Maks made the remark to Len about leaving. Those dancers work so hard and it looks totaly exhausting.

It’s obvious that the judges have their favorites and I don’t think Len and Mak get along anyway. I think the judges go too far with some of their remarks, but also I think some of it is an act to get everyone hyped and as you can see…we do. I hope Maks and Hope stay and if were watching “Dancing With The Stars” and I emphasize “Dancing” then Chaz whould go tonight. He can not dance and he is still there after Chyna and Kritian were voted off..and they could dance! This is turning out to be a popularity poll and it’s really starting to turn me off. I’ll see after tonight if I still wil watch.

• AngieD says:

Len’s point about the heels is that it would’ve helped her dance movement. She was too flatfooted in the dance and the heels would’ve put her up on her toes and given a much nicer look to her movements.

If Max hadn’t interuppted, then everyone would’ve understood where Len was leading.

• Name That Tune says:

So who’s decision was it to put her in boots? Given the nature of the dance, the song, and the theme, her whole outfit was an odd choice. So she gets penalized because the costume designer gave her crap to wear?

• antoinette says:

I think all the stars did a great job! I think the judges are too harsh at times(the remark about chaz being like a penquin)some of the remarks the judges make are just mean. Just because they are judging that doesn’t give them the right to be downright mean..especially len..he needs to be replaced. Just my opinion…

3. Spencer says:

OMG! Lol, I had no idea other people agreed with me and my family that Carson needs to take Brooke’s job!!!!!!!! I love Carson! And I thought that Nancy did a great job!

4. Cheryl says:

Brooke needs to be replaced…NOW!! Would also love to see Carson as her replacement. And, I’m with team MAKS. Judges have contributed to the weird results of this “competition” by their wildly inconsistent critiques. It has been painful to watch Chaz. Are they really serious about Rob? J.R. for the WIN!

5. zoot says:

I don’t think the judges should not say how great the choreography is..they are pros and should have great choreography. The judges should stick to critiquing the progress of the dancing by the celebrity. Rikki would never get such high scores if it wasn’t for the love the judges show for Derek’s talent. If you actually focus on Rikki’s dancing..just average! They can, however, mention that for all the difficult moves and choreography that Karina put in, JR truly kept up to pace.

• zoot says:

sorry didn’t proofread and my first sentence is confusing… I do NOT think the judges should praise the choreography of the pro..comments should be about the dancing of the ‘star’

• dan says:

And Rikki is always wearing long skirts so it is hard to see her feet. It is clear that the judges loooove Derek; just as Len started to criticize Rikki’s posture he stopped himself and said something like “well, it really doesn’t matter, does it?” He gave her a 9 (which was reasonable, she didn’t deserve the two 10s), yet he gave the same score to JR for whom he had nothing bad to say! Len loves Derek and doesn’t love Karina. This has gone of for years with Tony being another good example; it doesn’t matter how well Tony and his partners danced, he always was scored lower than Derek.

6. Michele says:

I thought the same thing as commenter number 1, replace Brooke with Carson! I agree with everything you said. The judges are all bizarrely superfans of Rob K. and I think his dancing is meh. When I saw what Hope was wearing, I said she must be doing the rumba, but what is she wearing on her feet? I do think Chaz needs to go, but it might be Hope’s turn after Maks lost his cool, whether he was right to or not.

7. cheryl says:

Stephanie, that is an awesome suggestion!! Ditch Brooke and replace with Carson, I would watch just for that reason! She really is almost embarassing to watch (or listen to), beauty only goes so far..she’s entertaining but not in a good way. Carson would be the greatest host(ess) ever!

8. kt says:

I about lost it when you put Brook in LOL Cats mode…it just makes so much sense! Haha

And as far as Maks is concerned, I totally see his point. So many couples are given scores for trying hard and doing their best, but others are held to a different standard due to early (and at times unwarrented) expectations that are put on them. However, Len was also right in critiquing their rhumba, as it was pretty awful. I just wish the judges could ignore who their favorites are and treat everybody equally. But who am I kidding, favoritism and pimping are cornerstones of reality tv!

9. Jake says:

Sorry but ricki and derek deserved those scores. It was superb especially after their dance last week. They deserved the 30 not jr

10. Jake says:

Hope should have gone weeks ago because she is just not a dancer and it should nothing to do with maks s outburst which many people are not reporting was started by Len saying that it’s maks fault for hopes dancing

11. Rebecca says:

What a baby Maks was to complain about the judging! If he doesn’t want to get scored, he shouldn’t appear on the show. Hope sucked last night, and it’s partly his fault as her partner and basically her guide. She clunked around the floor like she had weights in her boots. Awful! He rehearsed with her for a week and knew what she looked like, so he should have corrected her before they appeared on the show or else accepted that criticism gracefully instead of talking back like a snotty little kid. No one else who has been critiqued this season has acted so bratty and rude. I really hope Hope and Maks go home. Their dances never convey any sense of joy, and Hope is getting worse instead of improving, just like Maks’ crappy attitude.

I can’t believe so many people here are defending the “It’s not faaaaiiir” whiner.

• Carolina says:

I agree: Maks was disrespectful on live national TV.

Last year, Helio was fined $30,000 for making a disrespectful tweet about an official who had made a controversial decision that cost Helio a win in Edmonton. The remarks were made in a different medium after the race and were only indirectly disrespectful. Keeps notion of “behavior befitting the profession” alive.

Sadly, there are no analogous ground rules for DWTS, or so it seems.

• Carolina says:

Correction: It was last month that IndyCar fined Helio $30,000 for a disparaging tweet about a racing official who had given him a yellow flag in a race in Japan.

Last year, Helio was fined for behavior in reaction to some other adverse decision in an Edmonton, AB race. (Should have fact-checked before posting.)

12. Caroline says:

I think Maks had a point, but Hope isn’t the one who is abused by the judges. She received constructive criticism for a subpar dance. As far Chaz, he is easily the worst, but it’s not as though the judges shower him with praise and high scores. Bruno has compared him to various non-human beings, and this week they told him he wasnt performing to the level of everyone else. Not pro Chaz at all, just trying to put Maks’s comments in perspective. Some pros who might have a right to complain – Tony, Karina, even Derek (Ricki has been edited as a frontrunner as is judged to a higher standard than say Rob or Nancy). IMHO, the pros who should be upset are those whose stars have been marked by the judges or producers as frontrunners.

• dolly may says:

Maks did get too upset but I do understand. Even though Chaz, Nancy
      Grace do not do well, even Carson, their negative abilities are put in
      a positive way and more lighthearted. They have been “sugar coated”.
      Len did not sugar coat Hope; possbily, they should have “sugar coated”
      a little to make her feel good. I am sure she did as best she
      could. Why not, make her feel good. I think Maks was just upset how
      strong they came on with her and not the others. It gets a little
      boring to bring up Chaz life challenges. Whats that have to do with dancing. I am sure everyone else
      has had them. What about JR Martinez. His focus is being the best he
      can be. I think Chaz is a whiner.

• Dottie Wells says:

Ok so Maks was out of line with his burst of temper. However, Hope has not been real cooperative, I don’t think she has taken this seriously and her personality is very lacking. The talent just is not there. I think Maks is fantastic and has done his best with her. I think he is frustrated and Len’s remarks aimed at him were uncalled for as well. I thought hope should have gone a couple of weeks ago, the only reason she is still there is Maks. I do agree that the judges seem to have their favorites. Then the audience needs to vote more for their favorites. I give Chaz credit for his efforts it has not been easy for him. I think Nancy has surprised everyone. I think JR is wonderful and every vet should be pulling for him. He never complains and is a great dancer. I think it will come down to Riki and JR they are both great. I do agree with some of the comments about Brooke, however, I don’t think Carson is the answer. I like the judges but Len and Bruno could criticize without being so hurtful. Good job Carrie Ann.

• Name That Tune says:

Max is appropriately defending his partner. Hope is a great athlete but she is not naturally feminine, fluid or graceful. It took a lot to bring out her softer sexier side & I’m sure she is doing the best that she can. Len all but accused her of being lazy last week. His comments are hitting below the belt, yet Chaz gets the “I feel sorry for you” & “We won’t say anything bad about you because, hey we know you’re different.” treatment – even though he is utterly awful. But hey that’s the kind of treatment you get when you are the child of a star worth $600 million who cries “I’m a victim ‘cuz I’m different so please don’t pick on me ‘cuz that would be unfair.”

Give me a break.

• Lana says:

Chaz never whines and he does not keep on mentioning his challenges. And being called a cute, fat penguin was not nice at all so if Lacey didn’t throw a fit then Maks shouldn’t either. I’m tired of Hope’s attitude, I’ve never seen an attitude like hers in any of the other seasons. I agree Chaz is the one to go but he does not whine and shouldn’t be put down because he has been voted to stay and the more ugliness I hear about it the more I want him to stay, however I tend to vote for the ones who dance the best, not who is funniest or athletic or even has the best story. I do like to see the Stars who are improving stay versus those who are not going to get any better, that is why I am liking Rob because he really is improving over Nancy or Chaz or Hope, when he first started I was not impressed and didn’t really care for him, now I like him and am impressed at how hard he is working to get the steps correct. I love Maks but he was very disrespectful to Len and I’m sorry but it made him look ugly! Well he can never look that ugly and he is still one of my favorites but Maks I do hope you apologized for that one remark.

13. Penny says:

I felt that Maks was way out of line in his attack on the judges, mostly for telling Len “Then maybe it’s time to go!”. I have no problem with him expressing his frustration but his arrogance and ego was too much to take last night. When Maks later added “This is MY show”, I couldn’t help but wonder when the show became “Dancing with a Conceited Jerk”. Let’s face it, whatever scores the judges gave Hope, Maks knows she would never make it to the end so I can’t help but wonder if his outburst last night was engineered to get him more attention. If so, I give him a “10”.

14. nancy says:

I’ve been saying Brooke should go since her very first word. Never thought of Carson but he would be great. As for Maks, I agree the judging is kind of lopsided but he lost me when he said that he is the show and made it what it is today…seriously??
    Team JR all the way

15. GG says:

While I don’t disagree with Maks’ point, (the judges do show favoritism) he should NEVER have acted the way he did, and his comment to Len was WAY out of line. And I’m a little confused, because Maks was being downright mean to Hope during their rehearsal footage, and then he tries to act like her knight in shining armor on the live show. Which makes me wonder, was all of that just for show?
    And on a different note: Carson would make a great co-host!

16. Brooks55 says:

Sorry, but have to disagree with you on Ricki and Derek. I have loved JR since day 1 and loved his routine last nite, but the more “traditional” quickstep performed by Derek and Ricki was elegant and classy and worthy of the scores they received.

17. Lisa says:

well, Maks does have a point, the judging is different depending on who it is, but that’s the way it’s always been. If he is so frustrated by it, then don’t come back season after season.

But, I do like Maks on the show, you never quite know how his ego will react to situations, judges, stars, but that makes for some interesting moments. Rude comments though, not cool Maks.

18. Fran C. says:

Way to go Maks! Len needed to be put in his place for his rude comments. Maks, you are awesome, and I think Hope is performing as well as most of the other contestents, after all she is an athelete. Also, She doesn’t come off the dance floor with her mouth open trying to gasp for air or looking like she may faint ( like so many others do ). Actually, Hope did better than Robb, Nancy or Chaz and I am getting bored with Jr.

• dan says:

Seriously? Hope did better than Rob and Nancy? She was terrible. It didn’t even look like she was dancing. At one point I thought she had forgotten the routine because she was flailing her arms and walking around looking lost (waiting for Maks to finish what he was doing). I’m not saying Rob and Nancy are top contenders, but last night they were both better than Hope.

19. Fran C. says:

Maks is the reason I watch the show. PERIOD.

20. Heidi says:

Am I the only one who saw the resemblance between Chaz in his tuxedo and Sqeaky from Toy Story? I think it is time for our little penguin to go home.

21. Moryssa says:

I agree to a certain extent with Maks’ commentary, and (aside from the “Maybe it’s time to get out” comment, which I’m sure he meant as a joke to lighten things up and Carrie Ann blew up about) I actually thought he made his comments respectfully, as well.

However, I also agree with the criticism that Len was giving. I think the biggest problem for Maks and Hope was the choice of song. While I love the song itself, how the heck are you supposed to RHUMBA to it?! But I wasn’t impressed with the dance, from a technical or an emotional standpoint, and they would be the couple that I want to see go home tonight, sadly.

I actually thought Chaz danced pretty well tonight, and I kind of loved Nancy and Tristan’s dance. I really don’t think either of them deserve to win the overall thing, based on complete body of work, but I don’t think either of them danced the worst dances of the night, either. I think Nancy is trying so hard, but her personality is just so much more mature and internalized that it’s hard to let it show in her face, and that affects how we’re able to connect with her. She’s so used to maintaining a mask of composure that we rarely see behind it– and I thought that last night’s dance actually allowed her to loosen up a little bit. I also thought that her lift in the group number looked a LOT smoother and flawless than either Hope or Ricky, who just just looked like she was climbing over a jungle gym.

• LaurieHaz says:

I agree with you about Nancy. I think one of the reasons she’s struggled so much is because she hasn’t looked like she’s having much fun throughout the competition. Last night you could see the joy emanating from her. And to me, it was her best dance of the competition yet because of that. I’m not ready for Nancy and Tristan to go home yet!

PS, I hate to disagree with Slezak, but I think Nancy and Tristan bring out positive sides in one another. You can tell by the way he embraces Nancy that he genuinely likes her.

22. Sarah says:

I completely, 100%, agree with Maks’ comments last night. I don’t think they’re in any danger of elimination tonight because so many people have come out of the woodwork and agreed with him. But really, with this season, I’m prepared for anything to happen. S

23. Angie says:

Personally, I think Max was a bit hot tempered. They are called ‘judges’. Also, Len said he ‘thought it was THEIR worst dance’. Not THE worst. And , personally, I didn’t think it was right for her either. At this point in the competition, Hope has not grown as much as some. I do think the judges expect more from her than Chaz. I know Max was just trying to support his partner, but I think he needs to be realistic, too. It’s a a competition where you will be judged. It’s not just about entertaining the audience, etc. Also, if he listened to Len, he would understand and help Hope improve on the points that the judges are making. Bruno essentially made the same critique because Len chose not to continue arguing with Maks.

As Derek says, you gotta know how to play to the audience AND the judges.

• Name That Tune says:

Max has always been direct. That’s nothing new. But they always give him partners who are high achievers, like pro athletes, and they give the stars who need kid gloves to Tony. Max is going to push his partners to excel. Hope fits right into the pattern of the partner he gets. She’s competitive and wants to do well. Ballroom dancing isn’t her niche, and it shows. So kudos to Max for standing up to Len.

24. lariet50 says:

Here’s my thing: Yes, the judges don’t judge equally from dancer to dancer and season to season. But, Maks (and don’t get me wrong, I love him) showed last night a repeat of the arrogance that sometimes can’t be hidden. Another example was last season’s finale, when Hines was named the winner, and Maks threw a very obvious hissy fit before the camera cut away. Do I agree with either? No – there is no way in hell that Nancy, Chaz and the lesser Kardashian should get the scores they’ve gotten in recent weeks. The judges have no consistency. That is highly problematic. If they must have judges, then they should be a simple matter of offering an “expert” (I’m looking at you, Carrie Ann) opinion, but not being able to have a vote as to who stays or goes. If this is going to be a popularity contest, just make it one all the way. Isn’t that what they do on “American Idol”? (I don’t watch, I’m really asking.)

• dan says:

Chaz hasn’t deserved the scores he got the last two weeks? Hasn’t he been in last place both weeks? I would say he deserves to be at the bottom of the leader board. But that doesn’t mean Hope did a good job. She was a train wreck last night.

• lariet50 says:

I know he’s been at the bottom – doesn’t mean he wasn’t overscored. I have no problem with him, I think he’s a lot of fun to watch, but he’s not a dancer.

• Name That Tune says:

Here’s the problem. The judges look at Hope as an athlete. Female athletes usually do well on DWTS. So before the season even started, they pegged her as a finalist. They had much lower expectations for Chaz. The truth is Hope is a great athlete. But she’s not Kristi Yamaguchi, who had to incoporate some dance moves into her sport, as well as capture some of the artistry and showmanship that ballroom dancing requires.
      —————————————————
      It shows that Hope isn’t naturally graceful or fluid. She’s more like a center in football. She’s big and strong. I don’t think she’s the least bit comfortable acting like a sex-starved playmate on national TV. So Max is right in defending her. And I don’t care if it is “correct” to bang at the judges for their comments. They came into the season applying a different standard for Hope than they did Chaz. And that’s wrong.

25. Lynn says:

Thank goodness for Maks. He says what we’re all thinking. I’d rather see him take his jabs at Carianne (more gently though). She has gushed over Chaz since day 1, and now in mid-season they’re all acting astonished that he hasn’t developed technically. Go back and watch the re-runs folks. I actually felt badly for Chaz (even though he should have been gone several weeks ago – maybe week 2?). I think they hoped to keep him around for the big visit by Cher, and now that it’s over, they’re ready to see him tossed under the bus.

Also, I agree with Slezak Ricki Lake. Carianne was ready to hand her the mirror ball last night. Why???

26. J. Norman says:

Man, to listen to all the whining about Brooke on this show, you would think all these same fans thought her predecessor – Samantha Harris – was great.
    Fans on sites like this are such hypotcrites. It really doesn’t matter if they bring in Carson, or Cher, or Tom Bergerons twin brother, the fans will nit pick and cry about their performance. They have little of value to say and apparantly get the idea that they are superior by attacking the announcer.
    It gets old out there everybody. . OLD! Why not concern yourselves with the the judges or celebrities instead.
    HUH?

• Brandon R. says:

Um, there’s also another possibility…Brooke is even WORSE than Samantha was. Many commenters are pretty clear that they didn’t like Samantha, but even she would be better than Brooke. I seriously doubt there would be that much complaining if a more competent/fun co-host (Carson, Drew Lachey, etc.) was hired. But Brooke is so bad at hosting there’s really nothing positive to say.

27. dazed and confuzed says:

Quick question: How does a contestant get penalized because the music and the dance “doesn’t match his personality” when he neither picked the music NOR the dance?

• lariet50 says:

Solid point. This is the same problem I have with Len talking about Hope’s boots – doesn’t the costume department dress the stars, with help from the pros?

28. Brazen says:

Michael,
    I usually agree with your critiques, but Ricki and Derek’s Quickstep had the most content, was the fastest paced, and flew across the dancefloor. And Ricki did it backwards and in high heels! Sorry, she wins the night and the judges got it right. (At least in their case…)

29. j chapman says:

Mak’s is the reason i watch this show, Len has not only had this kind of outburst on dwts he has been doing the same on scd uk last week as well, getting a bit tired probably travelling to and fro from states to uk lol…will have a week off next week !!!!!

30. MK204 says:

I don’t think Maks would have flown off the handle, had Len not criticized him because he was encouraging the audience to boo after Len’s comments. I also can understand how frustrated Maks is because it is apparent which pro gets all the kudos. While Derek is an excellent choreographer, personally I’m getting tired of them throwing in my face every week. If I’m tired of it, I can imagine how the other pros feel. So if Maks was disrespectful, as Carrie Ann seemed to be yelling, then so was Len. I may not be a fan of either Maks or Hope, but fair is fair and I don’t tolerate dual standards very well.

I am honestly so bored with this year’s show because it is so one sided and it always seems that Derek gets the good people and Lacey and Mark, both excellent choreographers, get the ones who are not good and/or unpopular. As much as I like Lacey, I want to see Chaz gone. I also like Tristan and feel that Nancy is dead weight and an albatross around his neck. I hope he stays next season.

I do realize that David is not the best dancer but I want him to get to the Top 3 because he’s always pleasant and happy and entertaining. His dancing is also improving and I like to see someone who improves. Of course JR is going to win. I’d be surprised if he didn’t. But those judges are going to do everything possible to make it Derek and Ricki. I’m betting Derek gets first dibs all the time on who to dance with. Has he ever had a bad dancer??

I always thought this was the one voting show that was on the up and up. I’ve changed my mind this year.

I think Hope or David will go tonight even though I would love it to be Chaz or Nancy.

31. Island girl says:

Good for Maks, he was so right about Len, Len’s remarks are so cruel and his facial expressions are hateful. I wish we could have judged his twist, I think he would have been voted off for sure. It’s funny how a man like that can kill a show. It is no longer entertaining and leaves the viewers agitated. However, kudos to the pros, they are great..

32. Barbara says:

Go Maks! I think you were right on. Len is an old school judge, who likes the traditional style of dancing. When the pros try to put a update twist on a more traditional dance, he flips. Maybe he should go and judge a senior citizens dance competition! The judges seem to forget that these contestants are not pros,some never have danced ever, and you as a pro can only help them so far. To expect some one to learn soemthing in a few weeks, thta took a pro to learn years, is stupid! I also hated the nasty remarks made to Chaz, from Bruno, was there “I am sorry fort my disrespect given there”)? These judges need to relax, and cut these dancers some slack,this suppose to be entertaining and fun. Maks, I love you! you are a superb dancer and great teacher, never change!

33. Kim says:

The only “stars” that are on DWTS are has-beens and wannabes. In that regard, Jo frost would be perfect. She’s definitely a wannabe.