It's Official: American Horror Story Ranks as Top Series Premiere in FX History

Get More: News, Ratings

The final Live+7 numbers have been crunched and American Horror Story has officially surpassed The Shield as FX’s No. 1 series premiere ever among adults 18-49.

“These final numbers confirm, without question, that the series premiere was a bona fide success,” said FX prez John Landgraf. “While the ratings for the premiere episode were outstanding, it’s even more impressive that the third episode delivered higher numbers than the premiere. I tip my hat to the producers, our amazing cast and crew, especially to Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk who are proven hitmakers.”

The news comes as AHS is set to air the first of a special two-part Halloween-themed event, guest starring Zachary Quinto. For more on that, check out this week’s Ask Ausiello.

Comments (13)

• love the cast and the writing.. one of the best production actually on tv.

Comment by David – October 25, 2011 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news. I like the premise of the show and the weirdness that surrounds it. I hope it just doesn’t become like ‘Glee’ and lose its touch after the first season.

Comment by Olivia – October 25, 2011 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, Ryan Murphy seems to bore easily once he’s produced a hit. Nip/Tuck also went off the rails relatively quickly.

Comment by jennrae – October 25, 2011 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I gave the pilot maybe a “B” grade, but the second and third episodes were awesome. It’s earned a spot on my DVR schedule for sure. Glad to see it’s doing well.

Comment by DL – October 25, 2011 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So what exactly were the final Live+7 numbers? And why do they really even matter?
    I get that shows want to improve viewership, but that only matters if they can monetize it. The 18-49 demo is used for ad rates, but increased viewership during the week comes from DVR playback, which means people are SKIPPING ads. So why does it matter if more people tuned in when they’ve missed the commercials because they didn’t actually watch live?? (She asks no one in particular…)

Comment by Alicia – October 25, 2011 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Very interesting observation. nothing else to add.

Comment by che – October 25, 2011 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is entertaining trash TV, filled with empty characters that have archetype personalities. Connie Britton makes a little more with her role than poor Dylan McDermott, who’s basically playing a retread of Dylan Walsh’s character on Nip/Tuck. Jessica Lange and Frances Conroy should have their own show and the daughter should be killed off as quickly as possible. Ryan Murphy can’t write dialogue for shizz.

End of rant.

Comment by Sam – October 25, 2011 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah me too cuz he killed the end of nip/tuck it could’ve been so much better

Comment by theresa – October 25, 2011 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had high hopes but quit 3/4 through the pilot. From some of the comments I guess I should have given it more of a chance.

Comment by DebLI – October 26, 2011 04:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It got better since the pilot.

Comment by Mia – October 27, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought this show was awesome. I was a little leery at first with the first episode, but once I continued watching I started getting hooked. I love this show now and it would be a shame if I ever had to worry about losing FX like DirecTV customers have to worry about. With my provider/employer DISH Network I know they have a long term agreement with the Fox channels, so I don’t have to worry about missing any episodes.I love how in every episode there is something added into it from any horror movie you would see.

Comment by rose – October 26, 2011 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show, I cannot wait to see what happens next. I have no sympathy for Dylan or Connie’s characters, do not particulary like them at all. Most of the characters are so evil you are facinated by them. Jessica Lange is terrific. Tate must be a ghost? The son of Constance?

Comment by Sam – October 28, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was not sure about this show, truth be told I had been left lonely after nip/tuck. I tuned in due to that. After the 2nd episode I was completely addicted. I cannot barely wait until the following week. I have never been the sort of individual who thinks the sun and moon rise due to a show. I feel shows these days lack that substance that adults can connect to. I really hate stupid (2 and 1/2 idiots) I am not saying by any means it is an intellectual series, just a guilty pleasure. Give it a shot. It’s only an hour you have lost, geesh you lose more than that in a long traffic jam. Take care all.

Comment by Leah – November 6, 2011 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post