Hart of Dixie's Wilson Bethel Talks of Wade's Secret Bromance With George, Romance With Zoe

Spoiler alert: Hart of Dixie‘s George and Wade are actually pals, buds, amigos! It’s apparently a widely known fact in the quaint town of Bluebell, but The CW’s freshman series (airing Mondays at 9/8c) has yet to clue in the audience thus far.

Dixie star Wilson Bethel tells TVLine that the twosome’s “crazy” bromance is about to be unveiled, but there’s one tiny, well-dressed hitch — and her name is Dr. Zoe Hart.

TVLINE | At a recent Hart of Dixie Q&A, you, Scott Porter and executive producer Leila Gerstein mentioned that viewers would learn that Wade and George are friends, and have been since childhood. Care to elaborate?
Whereas Wade and Lavon’s (Cress Williams) relationship is straight buddy-buddy, George and Wade are really good friends and have been for a long time, but they’ve gone in different directions. Their ways of operating in the world are very different now, kind of in the same way that Wade and Zoe drive each other a little crazy — though it’s in more in a “bromance” fashion. The stuff we’ve done so far in that regard has been really great. We’re both pulling our hair out trying to see each other’s point of view. We’re coming back together as our newer selves, but in our older relationship dynamic, and that really offers some comedic and dramatic moments.

Hart of Dixie, Secret Circle Join Full-Season Club

TVLINE | When we chatted before Hart of Dixie premiered, you were certain that Wade was meant to be with Zoe. Still feeling the same way today?
The direction of Zoe (Rachel Bilson) and Wade at this stage is very much moving toward getting them together. Wade is doing a pretty good job of endearing himself. There’s certainly not going to be any shortage of competition from George, though. There’s some great stuff coming up where Zoe and George really connect, but let’s just say that Wade’s a resourceful guy and he’ll always come up with ways to give himself the advantage. [Laughs]

TVLINE | So, we’ll see some actual competition between the buds for Zoe’s affections?
Absolutely. At least George is engaged, so he has that going for him. [Laughs] But Wade will definitely try to feel out what George’s interest is, because he’s jealous. He’s jealous knowing that George has this spark with Zoe. Between the two friends, there’s a jockeying for the alpha male spot.

Hart of Dixie Exclusive: Dawson’s Creek Vet to Play [Spoiler Alert]!

TVLINE | And now there’s also a veterinarian coming to Bluebell as a love interest for Zoe. How does Wade factor in?
He’s only involved peripherally, though it’s safe to say that Wade isn’t happy about it. That said, the vet (played by True Blood/Trauma alum Wes Brown) will definitely be around for more than an episode.

TVLINE | Wade has really come into his own as one of Dixie‘s leading men. Did you have any idea just how fleshed out your character would become when you took the role?
It was not at all clear [when we shot the pilot]. It’s one of those instances of having to have a lot of faith upfront and also being extremely surprised as it unfolds. I certainly wasn’t making any demands on the writers when I signed onto this series, but I was gently prodding them to understand that there was a capacity of my role in the series to be more than just a hunky guy to have around. And without having to spell that out too plainly for them, the writers have made my job so much more fun and interesting and exciting by recognizing the possibilities for Wade. It’s not just about being eye candy for the girls. The relationships between the men in this show are important too and are actually really going to sell it as being a fuller picture of life in Bluebell. It’s not just about taking our shirts off all the time — which we also do. [Laughs]

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Previews

1. qeee says:

LOVE Wade & Zoe!!

2. Lore says:

I really like Wade and im not happy about this new vet whos coming to bluebelle, i want Zoe and Wade, they have great chemistry together and George is engaged, but i think that would not last very much, because Lemon loves Lavon..

3. Michelle says:

Oh, I’m excited to see Wade and George as friends! Bring on the bromance! :D

4. Anonymous says:

This makes me so happy reading this!! Zoe and Wade are so cute and need to end up together!!

5. Marie says:

Zoe and Wade are so hot and cute. They need to be together!!!

6. rebecca a. says:

I have loved Wilson Bethel since his days on Y&R. Love him on Dixie. Cannot wait for a Wade/Zoe pairing.

7. Snapy says:

Wilson Bethel is so hot. Loved him on Y&R. He needs to be naked all the time!!

8. Leo says:

I would love Wade and Zoe to get together, much more than George and Zoe. Rachel Bilson and Wilson Bethel have a great chemestry together.

9. Ashley says:

I LOVER Wade and Zoe!!! Can we get them together NOW!!!! I’m dying here! Last weeks ep they were SOOOOO close to kissing! then the rain came gah! I literally hit myself in the forehead! George is hot and such BUT he’s they one everyone would expect her to be with, Wade is not. They go better together! She’s good for him and he’s starting to show that to her! Come on Wade and Zoe!

10. A.R. says:

I don’t see the chemistry between Zoe and George. Maybe it’s just me, and I’m blinded by my affection for Wade, but Bilson and Porter have none of that heat that emanates from Bilson and Bethel. Zoe and Wade, all the way!

• Danielle H. says:

Agreed, but honestly for me Bilson is so awkward that it’s hard for her to have chemistry w/ anyone.

• ChrisGa says:

Yep, George is the most boring character on the whole show. I would love to see Zoe and Wade together but I think we all know that Zoe and George will be the endgame, which is unfortunate.

• Anonymous says:

Did you read this interview? Wilson is pretty much saying it’s going to be all Zoe and Wade.

@Danielle: I disagree, I find that Rachel has great chemistry with everybody she works with (Adam Brody, Zach Braff, Hayden Christensen and now Scott & Wilson) Hope she ends up with Wade tho! I like them better.

• bklyngirl says:

WB can toot his own damn horn all he wants, but the exec producer said that Zoe and George are in reference to Everwood’s Andy and Nina, and Scott is the Nina to Bilson’s Andy! Zoe and George = ENDGAME. And Wade aint all that.

• L says:

Having never watched Everwood, I have no idea who those characters are, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect that the producers might change their minds about how to handle characters based on audience response and character development. It’s ridiculously clear that the majority of the audience, commenting online at least, prefer the Zoe/Wade romance. The producers would be stupid to force a relationship between George and Zoe as “endgame” and drive away viewers, particularly when the clear chemistry and entertaining storylines belong to Zoe and Wade. Anyone who’s ever written a story can tell you that your idea of how characters develop and end up doesn’t always match your preconveived notions and plot “brainstorming” – and more importantly, they shouldn’t always end up that way.

Also, has there ever been a more obnoxious word and concept than “endgame”?? So sick of hearing people throw that around.

• Ashley says:

That doesn’t mean they will do the same ending as that show, you are putting too much stock in a reference. The characters are completely different. The only thing they have in common is the fact that Zoe is also a doctor that moved to a small town.

• Ashley says:

Why? The show doesn’t seem to be heading that way. They’ve developed Zoe/Wade even more than Zoe/George, and they have all the chemistry.

• Ashley says:

Plus, there’s also the fact that Zoe has said she’s attracted to the wrong guys, and she was attracted to George right when she got to town when she automatically had all these preconceived notions about the town and Wade.

Given what this story is about, it’s reasonable to assume that where she starts is not going to be where she ends up, and her opinion of Wade will definitely change. I think this show is heading towards Zoe/Wade, not Zoe/George.

11. Gabby says:

I love Wade and him and Zoe SO much!

12. Rich says:

Why is the show airing out of order, the nurse that caught Zoe with the condoms last week was just introduced this week. so dumb

13. jadalovesssyouu says:

I love zoe and wade ever since episode o1 and i would be so mad if zoe and george started dating!

14. Lola says:

i LOVE that he thinks wade and zoe are meant to be, because i do too! i friggen love them! and wade is forsure my favorite character, he’ funny and hot but theres more to him than just that. so excited to see more of his character development. WOO HOO for wade and zoe! george is nice and all but i like him with lemon, its cute. and i just don’t see it between him and zoe.

15. Beth says:

I am really enjoying the dynamic between Zoe and Wade. Even though I see her getting along really well and having that spark with George too, he is engaged — at least for the time being — and I don’t see the writers breaking up George and Lemon anytime too soon. She’ll be with Wade, and then as the series goes on, something will likely happen with George. I hope that doesn’t affect their “bromance” too much, but it’s bound to, I guess. I’m so happy this show is sticking around. I’m looking so forward to this season! To read more of my thoughts on episodes of ‘Hart of Dixie,’ visit http://www.tvmovielove.com.

16. boatwyf says:

Oh you are SO right about Lavon n lemon.

17. Jason says:

Absolutely LOVE Wilson Bethel as Wade!! He is far and away the best part of the show. Watch him when he’s on-screen…he is pitch-perfect in his actions, acting, etc. A superb actor, and the best eye-candy on The CW by a long shot. Increase his role! His quiet, behind-the-scenes activities, like secretly cooking the gumbo that won 2nd place for Zoe, and his tender moments, like singing Moon River for his drunken dad, just make him the most endearing character on Hart of Dixie.

18. J says:

As of right now, I ship Zoe/Wade. George is cute but meh. I adore Levon. And I actually have sympathy for Lemon. I think Lemon and Wade have been the biggest surprises for me so far.

19. anna says:

I’m really enjoying this show. Looking forward to the George and Wade scenes. I’m all for bromance. As for Wade and Zoe, I haven’t wanted to see a couple get together so much in a very long time. Wilson seems to have chemistry with everyone he shares scenes with.

20. Brooke says:

Being from Alabama, I don’t understand the portrayal of certain characters. I especially do not get why Lemon and all of her friends dress like they are from the 1950′s!!! That is so stupid! Plus, I am a member of the Junior League and we are a huge philanthropic agency. We go out into the community and do great things. So, I am offended of the fact that it is portrayed as a bunch of ditzy women with too much time on their hands working on stupid things they a candy bridge! I thought I was going to really enjoy this show, but I’m starting to feel more offended than entertained!

• Silvia says:

That’s how I feel whenever there’s a Hollywood movie about Brazil, or people meant to be brazilian but speaking “portuguese” straight from Portugal (very different). Think everything you’ve seen and heard during Fast 5 and imagine my blood boiling!!! But in the end we have to just put it aside if there’s a good entertainment factor I think.

• L says:

What’s new about this? Hollywood has never portrayed any part of the country (or world) in any sort of accurate way, particuarly places like the south or midwest. No need or point in getting offended by it, in my opinion.

Anyway, I love this show and I adore Wade. Definitely hoping he ends up with Zoe. But I’m interested in seeing where the friendship with George and Wade can go. It’d be refreshing to see this show emphasize that (and the George/Lemon/Lavon triangle) than a cliched, predictable Zoe/George/Wade triangle. There’s no romantic chemistry between George and Zoe anyway!

21. O says:

I absolutely LOVE this show!! One of the best new series!! Zoe and Wade are so perfect for each other!!!

22. bklyngirl says:

I’m still for Zoe and George. Wade is irritating.

23. Ashley says:

Wilson Bethel. You can take your shirt off ANY TIME. I really don’t mind. Mm Mm Mmmm!