Exclusive

Grey's Anatomy's Jessica Capshaw Answers Fans' Questions About Calzona, Crying and More

Prior to Jessica Capshaw visiting the TVLine office in New York City, I took to Twitter to invite fans of the Grey’s Anatomy actress to shoot me some questions. I whittled the onslaught of queries down to 11, and ran them by the sunny blonde as she kicked back on my cozy new red sofa here.

Jessica Capshaw Defends Her Grey’s Anatomy Love Life

In the video below, you’ll see Capshaw field questions about what Arizona’s “Mc” nickname should be, whether Dr. Robbins ever played doctor with Private Practice‘s Amelia Shepherd, and if “Calzona” ever inked domestic partnership papers.

She also weighs on on how Arizona has changed since marrying Callie (“I always imagined she was very selfish [and] to be married and have a baby right away, that’s a lot of responsibility”), reveals how she cries on camera, and shares what she and scene partner Sara Ramirez do between takes (for Capshaw, peanut M&Ms often are involved).

Other topics include Capshaw’s affinity (…or not) for horror films, how she’d feel about her kids going into acting, her French skills, and what it means to have Arizona be an icon to the gay community. “It’s not lost on me at all,” she says on that last subject. “We are making a TV show, but when there’s a character people can invest in… that’s beautiful, and as good as it gets.”

Grey’s Anatomy Exclusive: Gossip Girl Schemer to Heat Up McSteamy’s Love Life

Press PLAY below to see Capshaw answer fans’ questions, in her own words.

1. Raksha says:

I love her.

2. shaun says:

Great interview,quite a few neat questions(Didn’t know Amelia and Arizona could have crossed paths).I think Amelia and Charlotte are the only redeeming things about PP this season.

3. jackie says:

Jessica Capshaw is as good as it gets. She is so well spoken and seems so genuine. I just love her and Arizona! Great interview!

4. Amy says:

Thank you for the interview Matt. Lots of great info in it and Jessica seems really lovely! Looking forward to Grey’s on Thursday. It’s been especially good overall so far this season.

5. Kerri says:

I don’t always love Arizona’s storlylines but I love Jessica. She’s a lovely woman and her interviews always feel genuine.

6. Shannon says:

Fabulous interview. Arizona Robbins is my favorite tv character of all time. And I am deeply grateful it is the super talented and the super wonderful Jessica Capshaw who portrays her.

Thank you for this terrific interview.

7. Beth says:

Thanks!!! Love Jessica and love Arizona! She was a fantastic addition to the show! And JCap…So cute, so lovely and so well spoken as always! :-D

8. Priscilla says:

Great interview. Enjoyed it a lot. Good questions. My favourite McName for Arizona I have heard on the internet so far is McAwesome.

9. Solis says:

Nice interview! Interesting questions and obviously some very interesting answers as well. I liked the bit about Amelia and Arizona in particular. Never thought of that myself and it would be kind of fun if the show picked up on that. And I would definitely love to have someone from Arizona’s past stop by at Seattle Grace Mery West and stirr things up a bit.

10. sabrina says:

il parait que arizona va avoir une aventure avec une pediatre pouvez vous me dire si callie et arizona vont se separer s il vous plait j espere que non

11. Alicia says:

Wonderful interview and you have a nice voice, Matt.
    Arizona was never one of my favs (nothing against her, there are just so many people on GA) but after all these interviews with Jessica Capshaw I’ve found a new appreciation for her character.

12. Dreme says:

great interview , i love Jessica & arizona

13. Shad says:

God, she’s so eloquent and adorable. She’s the perfect example of what an person should be!

14. thailopes says:

I ♥ Arizona and JCap! When Arizona came along, she instantly became my favorite character on Grey’s Anatomy. I think she’s funny and so authentic, just like Jessica.

15. Ashley says:

Not only is Jessica funny, she’s also thoughtful and articulate. Thanks, Matt, for posting the interview!

16. Aussie says:

Would love to see derek’s reaction to finding out his little sister and Arizona may have a past or crossed paths.

17. Nicole says:

Jessica is a shining light in hollywood. It’s so refreshing to see an actress become humbled by her trade. I have never heard a single complaint against her, rightly so. She seems like an amazing person.

18. Mandy says:

Excellent interview. I seriously adore her and the character she plays. Arizona & Callie’s relationship is very inspirational and they are one of my favorite parts of Grey’s.