Ultimate Male Law-Enforcement Crushes Bracket Tourney Begins With Bones, NCIS, Psych and CSI

Their official mission is to serve and protect, but every TV fan knows that our favorite small-screen cops, detectives, and agents are also pretty adept at getting us to swoon on a regular basis.

That fact was never more evident than when TVLine asked its readers to nominate their favorite TV law-enforcement crushes as potential combatants in a 64-player bracket tournament. After more than 1,250 of you weighed in — with suggestions that ranged from the smoldering to the scorching, from current to classic — we were forced to split our contest into two separate groups — for male and female characters.

Today, we kick off the men’s side with current hotties from Bones, The Closer, The Mentalist, Psych, NCIS, and all three CSI franchises (NY, Miami, and original flavor). Tomorrow, the “classic” half of our bracket begins. And eventually, our battle will boil down to a finale that pits the ultimate old-school crime-fighter against the ultimate modern-day hero. (Their female counterparts will have their turn in November.)

Every afternoon over the next few weeks, we’ll launch another set of bouts that will have you dialing 911 with an emergency of lusty proportions. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 1 voting will be open for 72 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

(Oh, and in case you’re wondering/fretting, we put a cap of two cast members per show for the bracket, which meant some fan favorites had to warm the bench this time around.)

What’s more, if you’re interested in the matchups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, click here to check out the entire 64-player bracket (then click again for a zoomed-in view), and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Now ready, set, vote!

1. j says:

who do you not have Jim Longworth from Glades on the bracket? sad

2. Me says:

I absolutely love James Roday :) I hope he wins.

3. Ryan says:

omg, I really just voted in this… I feel weird.

4. Matt says:

This was totally Slezak’s idea :D.

5. Ryan says:

Also, how is Lenny Briscoe not in this? He’d make the Elite 8 AT LEAST.

6. K says:

Messer v DiNozzo?! Not cool TVLine, not cool.

7. Mercedes says:

Obviously Booth was going to win. No doubt about that.

• Alicia says:

Because he has the easiest rival of the whole round. Let’s see how well he does against Goldilocks (Jane), Silverfox (Gibbs) and Ravenhawk (Hotch) ;)

• Tia says:

This made me laugh so hard. Thank you for pointing out this obvious fact (even though I agree Booth is probably the prettiest of the men shown above…)

• Lauren says:

I have to say I was more than a little crushed to have to vote out Fritzy so early. He is very easy on the eyes and he plays one of the sweetest and most patient male leads in the history of TV. Totally bummed he went up against Booth so soon. Booth is way too sexy for there to be a competition. ::sigh:: Sorry Fritzy.

8. Terri says:

And you’re missing the adorable guys from both Castle and Blue Bloods! Two of my faves!

9. Karen MT says:

Wait, you’ve got Pete up against Peter? Not cool, man. Not. Cool.

10. Jacqi says:

Seeley Booth should most definitely win this whole thing. LOVE David Boreanaz!!!!

11. tlbrownlie says:

some of these match ups r just pure evil. how am i supposed to choose between hotch and nathan (both equally hot) then between sherlock and aussie (not hots) or the two peters? grrrr

12. Laney says:

Auggie, Castle, and Booth all in the same corner of the bracket? This is gonna be a problem.

Love that Cruz Castillo is in the “Classic” section, though.

13. Mike says:

I peeked at the full bracket, and I’m not sure which unexpected inclusion makes me happier, Sideways Sawyer from Lost or Cruz Castillo from Santa Barbara!

14. tlbrownlie says:

oh and come on! DJE vs paul gross? not fair to us canuck gals to have to choose between them this early on!!!!

15. Mel says:

Come on DiNozzo! I’m hugging him in my mind…

16. Laney says:

Also — how come two from “Mentalist” and only Hotch from the eye-candy buffet that is “Criminal Minds”? That’s just wrong.

17. Hannah says:

Danny Messer is being robbed.

18. Meghan says:

I love these brackets, Slezak!

19. Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I am here to say “Poor Fritz.” Never had a chance.

20. Mary says:

You put the clown from Psyche up there and no Matt Bomer or Tim DeKay? Completely bogus!

21. Carmichael says:

All I’m saying is if the woman who plays Benson or whatever her name is on SVU wins the female side I’m going to be a sad panda.

22. MJ says:

I voted for Fritzy but is pretty obvious Booth’s gonna crush him, I feel sorry for him.
    I’m so happy you decided to divide this in half modern and half classics. I was afraid that with people nominating every single character in the CSI/Criminalminds/NCIS franchises some of my favorite “classics” weren’t gonna make it. I’m really excited and surprise that Jimmy McNulty and Bosco made it, even if their chances are pretty slim.

• O'Brien says:

Hate the Fritzy was in the first round against Booth, because he’s so cool. But I had to go with Booth. He is my love.

23. Hamza says:

AMAZING bracket!!! Some real legends out there!

Mulder for the win in classics!

White Collar guys have really work cut out for them…

24. lariet50 says:

Where are Ryan and Esposito from “Castle”? They can count as one!

25. Winnie says:

I laughed when I saw James Roday vs. Simon Baker. We need to end this psych-coast, mentalist-coast beef!

Uh, but go James Roday!

• Diana says:

Yey for James Roday! I laughed too, and I’m really glad Roday is winning, it would be ridiculous if it was the other way around… There’s something about “goldilocks” that really turns me off, I cannot really find one appealing thing about him… I think he looks like an old cherub to me…

• Cheryl says:

I Sooo agree with you he does look like an old cherub and on top of that he can’t act, James has more talent in his little toe. GO JAMES RODAY!!!

• Rep says:

Please, Roday is road kill…

26. Tracy says:

I voted for Danny Messer out of loyalty, but he’s lost many of his crushable attributes by being married to the albatross that is Lindsay.

27. Danielle says:

Quinn is so much hotter than Dexter, I’m just saying. You should make a switcheroo before that branch of the brackett comes up because, I mean… damn. Gorgeous!

28. Jess says:

Team Danny Messer!

29. KCD says:

This is ridiculous…how can I chose btwn Neal Caffrey & Sam Hanna? Steve McGarrett & Michael Weston? Gibbs & Frank Reagan? DiNozzo & Messer? Unfair!

30. Alicia says:

Woot! Was wondering when this tournament would begin :D but I see a lot of sexiness was left behind. Poor Dr. Spencer Reid, guess people couldn’t handle his beauty…
    Oh well, that leaves the epitome of tall, dark and handsome to take it all–go Hotch!

• Sarah says:

True! weird. Reid always gets my vote *fans self*

• Dawn says:

i know right?!! if Reid was on this, he would get my vote. All the way!!

• Heather says:

I don’t even think I should bother voting in this poll if Reid’s not in the running. I just don’t understand how this could have happened. **shakes head**

• Dave says:

Agreed. Reid is crazy popular so it’s kind of unbelievable he was left out… but it probably happened because the tournament’s creators were trying to avoid a white wash.
        With a 2 character cap for each show, they probably tried to go with the minority option wherever possible (not that the selections weren’t warranted). Particularly if the show’s main character (who’s likely white) is included and then it comes down to a choice between supporting characters.
        – Hotch gets a spot, so pick Morgan over Reid
        – Jane gets a spot, so pick Cho over Rigsby
        – McGarrett gets a spot, so pick Chin Ho over Danno
        Which is why the tournament should have been bigger.

31. TayMads says:

For those that are commenting about certain people not being here for you to vote on, check out the bracket first and see if your favorites on on there, THEN feel free to complain about it. I had to do that first before I commented.

With that being said I am SO happy Tom Hanson from 21 Jumpstreet is on the classics side. I was really surprised. I love Johnny Depp. Looking at the full bracket I definitely know who I will be voting for even for some of the hard ones. Auggie vs. Sherlock and Raylan Givens vs. Peter Burke will be hard for me. :-/

32. Jenny says:

Team Messer!!!

33. Jenny says:

Team Messer!!!

34. K_Frem says:

I agree, Jim Longworth should have been nominated! Also, Shemar Moore from criminal minds?!? Hello, he’s super sexy. Also Thomas Gibson and Matthew Gubler are worth mentioning! :) But Booth, he’s my gave from what’s available :)

35. Tracy says:

I can’t wait to vote for Raylan Givens. He wins it all in my book.

• Marsha says:

Raylan Givens gets my vote all the time. Now Booth would have usually been my all-time sexy guy, but then a little show called Justified popped up with one of my favorite movie actors and now all I’m singing is Booth who?

36. Zoe says:

You’re pitting Stabler and Goren against each other right off the bat?! You evil, evil people.

Obviously I’m going to vote for Elliot, but still.

37. Wendy says:

Go, Seeley Booth!

38. Betty says:

‘Atta boy, Boothy!!!

39. Brandi says:

This bracket is completely useless to me due to the omission of Dr. Spencer Reid from Criminal Minds!

40. Alison says:

Seeley Booth all the way.

41. Karen says:

How is Simon Baker not winning his poll by a landslide?! ‘It’s a trap!’

42. O'Brien says:

Team Booth FTW! We all know he’s the top #1 Seed. No way it’s not true.

43. Ben says:

No John Casey? :(

44. Jerri says:

Ehrm… why no cast from Hawaii Five-0 ? and Chuck. Col John Casey FTW dammit!

• Jerri says:

Scratch that. just saw the full brackets. But still, Why no Colonel John Casey!?! The man kicks butt! and totally hot, in that…menacing… gun totting’ Jayne Cobb kind-a way. ;-)

45. whitneylu says:

Some of these matchups are too one-sided…for instance putting poor Fritz up against Booth. Fritzy never had a chance, even though he’s very crushable. He could have made it past the first round if he’d been put up against someone else. Also, I think that Castle should have been put up against Sherlock, just because both would be considered police consultants. (Castle for the win!) And lastly, poor Chris Lorenzo. He was a hottie from way back, but he’ll lose simply because the demographic of the website probably caters to people too young to remember Silk Stalkings while Lost and Sawyer are recent.

Oh, well. Always reasons to complain I guess. Really, I get to vote on who’s hotter/more crushable with 64 options. How can that be bad?

• Julie says:

I totally agree – also because they put some of my favorites opposite each other and I’ll actually have to make a choice ;)

46. Erin says:

I’m wondering where Danny (Danno) Williams from Hawaii Five-0 is. He’s just a whole basket of hottness. Now not as hott as Steve McGarret. but still. He just deserves to be there.

47. Maureen says:

You’re seriously going to make me choose between Vic Mackey and Jimmy McNulty? That is cruel. Though, how does Jack Bauer not win this whole thing?

48. shelby says:

Where is Callen from NCIS LA?! Seriously people!

49. AMANDA says:

It’s between booth,Shawn,and DiNozzo!!!! But I can’t believe Gibbs is not on there.

50. lisa says:

no one from Southland… at all?!?!?! seriously?