Ultimate Male Law-Enforcement Crushes Bracket Tourney Begins With Bones, NCIS, Psych and CSI

Their official mission is to serve and protect, but every TV fan knows that our favorite small-screen cops, detectives, and agents are also pretty adept at getting us to swoon on a regular basis.

That fact was never more evident than when TVLine asked its readers to nominate their favorite TV law-enforcement crushes as potential combatants in a 64-player bracket tournament. After more than 1,250 of you weighed in — with suggestions that ranged from the smoldering to the scorching, from current to classic — we were forced to split our contest into two separate groups — for male and female characters.

Today, we kick off the men’s side with current hotties from Bones, The Closer, The Mentalist, Psych, NCIS, and all three CSI franchises (NY, Miami, and original flavor). Tomorrow, the “classic” half of our bracket begins. And eventually, our battle will boil down to a finale that pits the ultimate old-school crime-fighter against the ultimate modern-day hero. (Their female counterparts will have their turn in November.)

Every afternoon over the next few weeks, we’ll launch another set of bouts that will have you dialing 911 with an emergency of lusty proportions. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 1 voting will be open for 72 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

(Oh, and in case you’re wondering/fretting, we put a cap of two cast members per show for the bracket, which meant some fan favorites had to warm the bench this time around.)

What’s more, if you’re interested in the matchups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, click here to check out the entire 64-player bracket (then click again for a zoomed-in view), and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Now ready, set, vote!

Comments (195)

• who do you not have Jim Longworth from Glades on the bracket? sad

Comment by j – October 24, 2011 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!!!

Comment by KCD – October 24, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or Raylan Givens from Justified.

Comment by Rowan – October 25, 2011 12:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • NO kidding! No Raylan? No vote from me.

Comment by jbkr73 – October 25, 2011 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Raylon is included. He is matched against Peter Burke.

Comment by GG – October 25, 2011 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Okay that in not fair, too hard to choose between those two.

Comment by peggy – October 25, 2011 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • How does you choose between Raylan Givens and Peter Burke??? That is so not fair!

Comment by Tenney – October 25, 2011 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Easy, just pick RAYLAN GIVENS all the time! He is superfine! Shoot, I just rhymed! lol

Comment by Marsha – October 25, 2011 11:48 AM PDT
          • ITA, that is not a fair match up! I wish they were matched against others so I could pick them both. But since we can only pick one, I have to go with Raylon.

Comment by GG – October 25, 2011 12:07 PM PDT
        • Where can I vote for Raylan? He’s ‘the man.’

Comment by Dolphin – October 25, 2011 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed on both!

Comment by Karen – October 25, 2011 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this was the first thing i thought of. he’s adorable. summer shows never get enough credit

Comment by emily – October 25, 2011 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely love James Roday :) I hope he wins.

Comment by Me – October 24, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too.

Comment by Carrie – October 24, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SO Agree!!!!!!!

Comment by Annabelle – October 24, 2011 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hottest Hispanic on tv if you ask me.
      Not that that’s something I am specifically looking for, just pointint out a fact is all.

And clearly the best fake psychic.

Comment by Juan – October 25, 2011 05:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Mentalist is LAME. I can’t believe Shawn is barely beating what’s-his-name. THIS WILL NOT STAND.

Comment by Kayla – October 25, 2011 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • EFF THAT NOISE. Roday fans are obviously engaging in some kind of cheatery–Shawn beating Patrick (by any margin) is FRAUDULENT.

Comment by Alicia – October 25, 2011 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Just like The Mentalist being an original show is fraudulent.

Comment by Michelle – October 25, 2011 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • PSYCH ALL THE WAY!!

Comment by Tanya – October 25, 2011 05:49 PM PDT
        • Obviously Matt fixed the poll so to make you Baker/Mentalist fans mad, lol. Shawn Roday is better looking and more crush worthy than Simon Baker, just accept it and move on.

Comment by lacey – October 25, 2011 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Patrick Jane is the most lovely, delicious and charming psicopat on air.
            For Fact!

Comment by Pearl – October 25, 2011 06:58 PM PDT
  • omg, I really just voted in this… I feel weird.

Comment by Ryan – October 24, 2011 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LMAO

Comment by Raechel – October 24, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re not alone. I’m totally straight and just voted for Patrick Jane. So weird -_-

Comment by Eric – October 24, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL! And he is trailing dude. Poor you.

Comment by Jess – October 24, 2011 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was totally Slezak’s idea :D.

Comment by Matt – October 24, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also, how is Lenny Briscoe not in this? He’d make the Elite 8 AT LEAST.

Comment by Ryan – October 24, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s two polls–one for current hotties (as in, these guys) and one for the classics. Lennie Briscoe is most likely in the classics category.

Comment by Meg – October 25, 2011 04:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No he’s not. :-(
        Green and Logan are (only 2 chars from each show allowed).

Comment by Kvivik – October 25, 2011 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Messer v DiNozzo?! Not cool TVLine, not cool.

Comment by K – October 24, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with you. The only one I had a hard time choosing and Sorry Messer but DiNozzo got my vote.

Comment by Raechel – October 24, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second that! Easy choices all around except for choosing between those two. DiNozzo won out in the end, but Danny…oh, Danny, I do love you!

Comment by Ashley – October 24, 2011 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Very not cool. They each would have easily won my vote against anyone else.

Comment by Anne – October 24, 2011 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Seriously. Why these Danny and Tony? Only one that took any real thought.

Comment by Billie – October 24, 2011 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cruel and unusual punishment, TVLine. Cruel and unusual. If I could vote twice (and maybe I will from another IP), I’d give the vote to Messer after voting this time for DiNozzo.

Comment by Meg – October 25, 2011 04:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here. You can’t put Tony against Danny.

Comment by Jody – October 25, 2011 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Obviously Booth was going to win. No doubt about that.

Comment by Mercedes – October 24, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because he has the easiest rival of the whole round. Let’s see how well he does against Goldilocks (Jane), Silverfox (Gibbs) and Ravenhawk (Hotch) ;)

Comment by Alicia – October 24, 2011 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This made me laugh so hard. Thank you for pointing out this obvious fact (even though I agree Booth is probably the prettiest of the men shown above…)

Comment by Tia – October 24, 2011 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to say I was more than a little crushed to have to vote out Fritzy so early. He is very easy on the eyes and he plays one of the sweetest and most patient male leads in the history of TV. Totally bummed he went up against Booth so soon. Booth is way too sexy for there to be a competition. ::sigh:: Sorry Fritzy.

Comment by Lauren – October 24, 2011 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed! Love fritzy but I knew he didn’t stand a chance against Booth.

Comment by Kate – October 24, 2011 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And you’re missing the adorable guys from both Castle and Blue Bloods! Two of my faves!

Comment by Terri – October 24, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Second both Castle and Blue Bloods!

Comment by Jerri – October 24, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I third the motion!

Comment by MJ – October 25, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait, you’ve got Pete up against Peter? Not cool, man. Not. Cool.

Comment by Karen MT – October 24, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seeley Booth should most definitely win this whole thing. LOVE David Boreanaz!!!!

Comment by Jacqi – October 24, 2011 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • some of these match ups r just pure evil. how am i supposed to choose between hotch and nathan (both equally hot) then between sherlock and aussie (not hots) or the two peters? grrrr

Comment by tlbrownlie – October 24, 2011 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Auggie, Castle, and Booth all in the same corner of the bracket? This is gonna be a problem.

Love that Cruz Castillo is in the “Classic” section, though.

Comment by Laney – October 24, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you serious? Oh dear.

Comment by MJ – October 25, 2011 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I peeked at the full bracket, and I’m not sure which unexpected inclusion makes me happier, Sideways Sawyer from Lost or Cruz Castillo from Santa Barbara!

Comment by Mike – October 24, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh and come on! DJE vs paul gross? not fair to us canuck gals to have to choose between them this early on!!!!

Comment by tlbrownlie – October 24, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on DiNozzo! I’m hugging him in my mind…

Comment by Mel – October 24, 2011 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • (*taps Mel on the shoulder*) May I cut in?

Comment by Lisa – October 24, 2011 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also — how come two from “Mentalist” and only Hotch from the eye-candy buffet that is “Criminal Minds”? That’s just wrong.

Comment by Laney – October 24, 2011 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shemar Moore is up there.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 24, 2011 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Can’t believe I missed him! Thanks!

Comment by Laney – October 24, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Danny Messer is being robbed.

Comment by Hannah – October 24, 2011 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Could not agree more! :)

Comment by Liz – October 24, 2011 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree.there’s something about Danny..!!

Comment by Katy – October 25, 2011 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Obviously just not enough of it. Go Tony!

Comment by Ashley – October 26, 2011 12:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It makes you wonder if people are blind! Danny Messer is heart throb material while his competition is so not!

Comment by annie – October 26, 2011 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love these brackets, Slezak!

Comment by Meghan – October 24, 2011 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am here to say “Poor Fritz.” Never had a chance.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 24, 2011 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good man, smart agent but against Booth/Boreanaz? Not one chance :)

Comment by lad – October 24, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You put the clown from Psyche up there and no Matt Bomer or Tim DeKay? Completely bogus!

Comment by Mary – October 24, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’re both part of the bracket.

Comment by Michael Slezak – October 24, 2011 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree! Both Bomer and McKay are fabulous and should definitely be on this list! Maybe next part of the bracket?

Comment by Liana in San Diego – October 24, 2011 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I’m saying is if the woman who plays Benson or whatever her name is on SVU wins the female side I’m going to be a sad panda.

Comment by Carmichael – October 24, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe you should join @TeamSadPanda

Comment by Sad Panada – October 24, 2011 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for Fritzy but is pretty obvious Booth’s gonna crush him, I feel sorry for him.
    I’m so happy you decided to divide this in half modern and half classics. I was afraid that with people nominating every single character in the CSI/Criminalminds/NCIS franchises some of my favorite “classics” weren’t gonna make it. I’m really excited and surprise that Jimmy McNulty and Bosco made it, even if their chances are pretty slim.

Comment by MJ – October 24, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hate the Fritzy was in the first round against Booth, because he’s so cool. But I had to go with Booth. He is my love.

Comment by O'Brien – October 24, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMAZING bracket!!! Some real legends out there!

Mulder for the win in classics!

White Collar guys have really work cut out for them…

Comment by Hamza – October 24, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where are Ryan and Esposito from “Castle”? They can count as one!

Comment by lariet50 – October 24, 2011 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So would that be “REsposito” or “EspoRyan” ? ;-) but agreed, either/both should be on there.

Comment by Jerri – October 24, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That is soooo funny =)

Comment by MLPC – October 24, 2011 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • or “Esposyan” ?

Comment by Jerri – October 24, 2011 11:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I laughed when I saw James Roday vs. Simon Baker. We need to end this psych-coast, mentalist-coast beef!

Uh, but go James Roday!

Comment by Winnie – October 24, 2011 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yey for James Roday! I laughed too, and I’m really glad Roday is winning, it would be ridiculous if it was the other way around… There’s something about “goldilocks” that really turns me off, I cannot really find one appealing thing about him… I think he looks like an old cherub to me…

Comment by Diana – October 25, 2011 04:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I Sooo agree with you he does look like an old cherub and on top of that he can’t act, James has more talent in his little toe. GO JAMES RODAY!!!

Comment by Cheryl – October 25, 2011 05:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please, Roday is road kill…

Comment by Rep – October 25, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for Danny Messer out of loyalty, but he’s lost many of his crushable attributes by being married to the albatross that is Lindsay.

Comment by Tracy – October 24, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Quinn is so much hotter than Dexter, I’m just saying. You should make a switcheroo before that branch of the brackett comes up because, I mean… damn. Gorgeous!

Comment by Danielle – October 24, 2011 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Um…NO! Dexter is 100% more awesome than Quinn.

Comment by Kathryn – October 25, 2011 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Danny Messer!

Comment by Jess – October 24, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TEAM DANNY MESSER ALL THE WAY!!!! <3 :)

Comment by Danielle – October 24, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • TEAM DANNY MESSER!!

Comment by Juliab. – October 24, 2011 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is ridiculous…how can I chose btwn Neal Caffrey & Sam Hanna? Steve McGarrett & Michael Weston? Gibbs & Frank Reagan? DiNozzo & Messer? Unfair!

Comment by KCD – October 24, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woot! Was wondering when this tournament would begin :D but I see a lot of sexiness was left behind. Poor Dr. Spencer Reid, guess people couldn’t handle his beauty…
    Oh well, that leaves the epitome of tall, dark and handsome to take it all–go Hotch!

Comment by Alicia – October 24, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True! weird. Reid always gets my vote *fans self*

Comment by Sarah – October 24, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i know right?!! if Reid was on this, he would get my vote. All the way!!

Comment by Dawn – October 24, 2011 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t even think I should bother voting in this poll if Reid’s not in the running. I just don’t understand how this could have happened. **shakes head**

Comment by Heather – October 24, 2011 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. Reid is crazy popular so it’s kind of unbelievable he was left out… but it probably happened because the tournament’s creators were trying to avoid a white wash.
        With a 2 character cap for each show, they probably tried to go with the minority option wherever possible (not that the selections weren’t warranted). Particularly if the show’s main character (who’s likely white) is included and then it comes down to a choice between supporting characters.
        - Hotch gets a spot, so pick Morgan over Reid
        - Jane gets a spot, so pick Cho over Rigsby
        - McGarrett gets a spot, so pick Chin Ho over Danno
        Which is why the tournament should have been bigger.

Comment by Dave – October 24, 2011 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For those that are commenting about certain people not being here for you to vote on, check out the bracket first and see if your favorites on on there, THEN feel free to complain about it. I had to do that first before I commented.

With that being said I am SO happy Tom Hanson from 21 Jumpstreet is on the classics side. I was really surprised. I love Johnny Depp. Looking at the full bracket I definitely know who I will be voting for even for some of the hard ones. Auggie vs. Sherlock and Raylan Givens vs. Peter Burke will be hard for me. :-/

Comment by TayMads – October 24, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Messer!!!

Comment by Jenny – October 24, 2011 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Messer!!!

Comment by Jenny – October 24, 2011 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree, Jim Longworth should have been nominated! Also, Shemar Moore from criminal minds?!? Hello, he’s super sexy. Also Thomas Gibson and Matthew Gubler are worth mentioning! :) But Booth, he’s my gave from what’s available :)

Comment by K_Frem – October 24, 2011 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agents Morgan and HOTNESS *ahem* I mean, Hotchner, are both included. :)

Comment by Alicia – October 24, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to vote for Raylan Givens. He wins it all in my book.

Comment by Tracy – October 24, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Raylan Givens gets my vote all the time. Now Booth would have usually been my all-time sexy guy, but then a little show called Justified popped up with one of my favorite movie actors and now all I’m singing is Booth who?

Comment by Marsha – October 25, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You’re pitting Stabler and Goren against each other right off the bat?! You evil, evil people.

Obviously I’m going to vote for Elliot, but still.

Comment by Zoe – October 24, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go, Seeley Booth!

Comment by Wendy – October 24, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ‘Atta boy, Boothy!!!

Comment by Betty – October 24, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This bracket is completely useless to me due to the omission of Dr. Spencer Reid from Criminal Minds!

Comment by Brandi – October 24, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^^ this

Comment by Hannah – October 24, 2011 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A 64-person tournament is not inclusive enough, the most blaring omission being REID!!

Comment by Sam – October 24, 2011 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly.

Comment by Heather – October 24, 2011 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seeley Booth all the way.

Comment by Alison – October 24, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is Simon Baker not winning his poll by a landslide?! ‘It’s a trap!’

Comment by Karen – October 24, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Booth FTW! We all know he’s the top #1 Seed. No way it’s not true.

Comment by O'Brien – October 24, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No John Casey? :(

Comment by Ben – October 24, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ehrm… why no cast from Hawaii Five-0 ? and Chuck. Col John Casey FTW dammit!

Comment by Jerri – October 24, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Scratch that. just saw the full brackets. But still, Why no Colonel John Casey!?! The man kicks butt! and totally hot, in that…menacing… gun totting’ Jayne Cobb kind-a way. ;-)

Comment by Jerri – October 24, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Some of these matchups are too one-sided…for instance putting poor Fritz up against Booth. Fritzy never had a chance, even though he’s very crushable. He could have made it past the first round if he’d been put up against someone else. Also, I think that Castle should have been put up against Sherlock, just because both would be considered police consultants. (Castle for the win!) And lastly, poor Chris Lorenzo. He was a hottie from way back, but he’ll lose simply because the demographic of the website probably caters to people too young to remember Silk Stalkings while Lost and Sawyer are recent.

Oh, well. Always reasons to complain I guess. Really, I get to vote on who’s hotter/more crushable with 64 options. How can that be bad?

Comment by whitneylu – October 24, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree – also because they put some of my favorites opposite each other and I’ll actually have to make a choice ;)

Comment by Julie – October 24, 2011 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m wondering where Danny (Danno) Williams from Hawaii Five-0 is. He’s just a whole basket of hottness. Now not as hott as Steve McGarret. but still. He just deserves to be there.

Comment by Erin – October 24, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You’re seriously going to make me choose between Vic Mackey and Jimmy McNulty? That is cruel. Though, how does Jack Bauer not win this whole thing?

Comment by Maureen – October 24, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is Callen from NCIS LA?! Seriously people!

Comment by shelby – October 24, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously! Callen > Sam.

Comment by Sally – October 24, 2011 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s between booth,Shawn,and DiNozzo!!!! But I can’t believe Gibbs is not on there.

Comment by AMANDA – October 24, 2011 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He is on there. Against Blue Bloods.

Comment by Dawn – October 24, 2011 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no one from Southland… at all?!?!?! seriously?

Comment by lisa – October 24, 2011 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post