Ratings: Mariah Carries 20/20 to Demo Win, Nikita Spies Gain, No Spike for Supernatural

Viewers of 20/20 apparently were twin-piqued by Mariah Carey and her babies, leading ABC’s newsmagazine to draw 7.6 million total viewers and a night-topping 2.1 demo rating — surging 59 and 75 percent from last Friday.

In total audience, however, Blue Bloods (10. mil/1.7) as usual led the night, though dipping a few percentage points.

Elsewhere on Friday:

* In its new, super-sized home, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition averaged 5.6 million viewers and a 1.4 demo rating across its two-hour run, up a bit from what ABC was doing here with sitcom reruns. (In the apples-and-oranges category, EM: HE‘s final Sunday foray drew 7.1 mil and a 1.9.)

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Chuck‘s Return (Airing Next Friday at 8/7c)

* CBS’ Gifted Man (8.65 mil/1.2) drew a few more eyeballs while holding steady in the demo. Kitchen Nightmares (3.46 mil/1.4) was flat. Nikita, with 1.73 million viewers and a 0.6 rating, spied gains of 5 and 20 percent.

Watch the First 20 Minutes of NBC’s Grimm, Premiering Next Friday at 9 pm

* CSI: NY dominated the 9 o’clock hour with 10.7 million total viewers and a 1.8 rating, up 6 percent week-to-week. Despite much buzz, facing a Fringe repeat (1.73 mil/0.5) and delivering a very bewitching hour, Supernatural (1.82 mil/0.7) dipped a tenth in the demo (but did gain some viewers). And yes, I was committed to working Spike into today’s ratings headline, come hell or high water.

Next Friday: NBC’s Chuck and Grimm join the genre-TV fray!

1. Sandra says:

Those numbers for the Fringe repeat are just awful dear god…ugh

• Dessy says:

it’s a repeat, God, stop being so negative >:(

• Guess says:

What surprises me is not that a rerun of Fringe doesn’t get much ratings, but that a NEW Supernatural episode – featuring Buffy’s Spike and Cordelia, no less – wouldn’t get much of an audience either.

• Rowan says:

A lot of viewers have dropped out of watching Supernatural because they killed Cas and the writing is subpar. I know there are people who are happy to move off of all things angel, but many people are unhappy with it.

The show feels rudderless. They have an amazing big bad (the Leviathan) and yet they don’t feel like they’re more menacing and anything major before (the Angels, on the whole, were much worse.) he show feels desperate to return to it’s roots and it’s failing. Not the actors faults and it’s not the direction, it’s the writing and the plotting out of the season. The dialogue is getting repetitive and uninspired. Plus there are major plot holes that I think will be filled in later, but they are obvious as to where they are going when they do.

This last episode was the best written this season, but I don’t take that to be huge praise as so far this season’s scribes seem asleep at the wheel – including Ben Edlund who usually does amazing work.

• Max says:

Seriously? I think this season has been one of the best written so far. I don’t like judging the writing of a show this early on. But from what I can see, they have a lot of potential in this storyline. And, of course, the acting is great as usual.
            As for the ratings, Supernatural gets the biggest percentage jumps in DVR viewership. The show’s ratings jump from 0.7 to 1.1-ish (which is pretty good for a show on Friday) after the DVR ratings are taken into account. So, while few people watch the show on Friday, doesn’t mean few people are watching it.

• Aysh says:

I agree it was a mistake to let Cas become a guest starr and dragging the whole Lucifer haunting Sam was also going on for too long. Was it just me or was Dean unbelievable as a drunk?

• pria says:

LOL Dude everyone was tired of Cas. 3 seasons of Cas was what drove viewers away slowly. It’s true the acting and writing suck this season. There’s no atmosphere in the cinematography, it’s jus another show, nothing special, which it used to be. It’s kinda sad.

• No Name Needed says:

Lucifer haunting Sam being a drag for too long? It was what brought me into loving this show again and ever since ep 3 I’ve been sinking down the same hole I was in last year. I thought it was pure genius and they should have had him on more.
            I love how people have given up on the show because Castiel isn’t on the show anymore; it’s pure Supernatural fandom. *shakes head*
            And I keep saying this every week: the raitings don’t really matter since this show is watched online by thousands of fans even in the middle of the night (ask the peeps in the UK and wherever else in Europe staying up to watch it on online feeds). The show is having about the same ratings as last season and in my opinion it doesn’t really affect CW’S decision into getting another season or not; in the end they know that if they decide to suddenly cancel it without the fans having a proper finale season they will be raided by fans on every continent. CW cannot live without Supernatural low ratings or not.

• spikesgrl says:

Actually, I have watched this show since episode one and the seasons I liked LEAST are the ones that had Catiel in them. I may be in the minority but I am glad that he is finally gone!!

• Nancy says:

SUPERNATURAL need to bring RICHARD SPEIGHT JR back as GABRIEL/THE TRICKSTER! More Misha Collins as well! THEY BOTH ROCK!!!

• Doris says:

I watched it because of Charisma & James; I watched it one other time, when Julie Benz (Angel’s Darla) was the guest star. It’s on opposite two shows I love–Fringe (which was a repeat, so I didn’t mind missing it) and Say Yes to the Dress. And I don’t find the two leading men particularly attractive.

2. mm says:

Yay Nikita went up a bit!!!, it sucks that chuck is coming back next week, hoping this wont affect Nikita’s ratings..

3. TinCan says:

I will definitely DVR Grimm next week while I watch Fringe live. I stopped watching Chuck years ago.

4. raelee514 says:

Last week SPN adjusted up, Nikita down. I’m hoping they’ll both adjust up this week (Nikita is for my mom).

• Charlie Brown says:

Nikita is sooo good, one of the best shows on the network (And I mean it, I’m not a fangirl). I just hope the CW moves it by the fall, and it could get 0.8 or higher, which is better than awful GG crap or Ringer.

• Jamie says:

The thing is, they owe Nikita nothing. They promoted the hell out of it and gave it the best time-slot they could and it still ended up failing.

“Gossip Girl” was once their highest rated show in W18-34, and their Monday line-up was strong with GG and OTH, and it’s been on four years.

I love all three, but they won’t move “Nikita” over “Gossip Girl” and they’ll continue to try and make RINGER a success.

• Mike says:

they do not promote nikita much. You must not be watching CW if you say that.

• Jamie says:

If you bothered to read my post properly.
            You’d see I said “best time-slot they could,” which obviously means I was talking about last year.

They promoted it loads when it debuted.

• Guess says:

So let me get this straight: Those are “good ratings” by Supernatural standards?!

• Rowan says:

No. They’re not. The CW loves the show, but this season is doing worse than the last on several levels. I think it’s time Sera Gamble moves out of the head writer position and they get someone else. Is Tim Minear available? Or Jane Espenson? Or can we get Kripke back?

• Kristy says:

I am so frustrated with the “love” the CW has for this show. Why was there not more promotion about this weeks epi? They rely too heavily on us rabid fans, when so many are fickle cause of the Castiel situation. = ( I can’t deny Sera’s suckiness though– where the crap is she headed with this season??? Unfortunately, wherever she’s going, I’m going to. LOL

5. Bobbi says:

And you knew it was Mariah that led to the increase, how? I tuned in to watch Chris Cuomo interview Stephanie Madoff Mack and turned it off as soon as Mariah and Nick showed up. Talk about assumptions!

6. Jessica says:

I hate the ratings system! I think the wrong people have nielson boxes. More people have to be watching Fringe and Supernatural!

• Alana says:

Exactly!! My parent’s neighbors have a Nielsen box,they are in their 70s. Look at CBS,it is the oldest network so it will attract older viewers,and it seems like older folks are chosen more than us young folks to have those boxes. It isn’t fair.

• steve says:

Even though its outdated, its actually fairly accurate. Its the networks expectations that have to adjust since the landscape has changed so dramatically. Which they have for Fringe. No other show on the networks would be giving this show any mor chances..thank god its on Fox.

• Rowan says:

The Nielsons have been steadily showing to be correct only for mainstream television, but not for niche, broadcast programming.

• Kathy says:

Thank God it’s Fox? The fact that it’s on Fox scares the spit out of me — but I’m old enough to remember Alien Nation (and I worked my butt off to keep it on Fox) and Firefly — both of which were treated abysmally by the network.

• Rowan says:

There are more people watching Fringe and Supernatural than reflected, but as with all genre shows, since they aren’t mainstream, the random choosing of households as Nielsen Families don’t accurately reflect sci-fi, horror or fantasy shows. The only way they learned that many more people watched Chuck’s first season than was reflected in the ratings was when the fans all went to their local Subway shops and bought $5 foot longs the night the last episode of the season was airing. The response indicated a much larger audience than the Nielson ratings showed and now Chuck will finish a respectable 5 year run on NBC.

Nielson boxes are outdated and the methodology is antiquated. DVR usage is a much better indicator (since all channels route through the DVR whether live or recorded), and if the Satellite/Cable carriers offered discounts for the ability to use your box (which would need modification to incorporate Nielson-like information gathering) for ratings info gathering, then a much larger segment of the population would be sampled, and that would include the often missed nerd/geek contingent that genre shows rely on as viewers.

7. Erin says:

I am so confused, everyone I know watches supernatural and fringe, who the heck do they give these boxes too?

8. Andrew says:

I think the Madoff interview was the reason for the 20/20 ratings, not some puff piece about Mariah Carey.

9. Clare says:

That is a lousy figure for SPN considering it had stunt casting and was up against a repeat of Fringe. I know I will be watching Fringe and DVR-ing Grimm next week and continuing to do so until Cas returns. I thought last night’s episode of Supernatural was abysmal. Bobby is the deus ex machina yet again? They might as well have kept Cas. And some no-name warlock can kill the Leviathans, which we’ve been told are all-powerful, but the brothers just let him *walk away without asking him how?!!!* My kid could write better stuff than that. Gamble has ruined this show.

• Kristy says:

He didn’t kill the leviathan, hence him being chained up in the backseat. Somehow you must have missed the parts where the “no-name warlock” said “What the hell is that thing” and “The spell will only last a couple of days.” Why ask him questions when he knows less than they do?

Being a Buffy fan, I LOVED the stunt casting,. I think if the CW had promoted the episode at all, it would’ve done much better- but they can’t be bothered when they could put 14 commercials for Ringer on every night instead. GAG! I’ll watch SPN religiously until it goes off the air, regardless of Sera’s suckiness or my love for Fringe and/or Misha. I was one of the ones ready to get away from the Angels and back to the Winchesters- the reason I started watching was them and will stay with them no matter who else comes and goes.

• c says:

Thank you for going to watch Fringe live. Tell everyone!
      Fringe Rocks! and it needs to stay!

10. lilkunta says:

i watched 20/20 for the mariah interview. they spent 46 minutes on bernie madoff from 10-1046 and then a long long commercial and just a few minutes on mariah 1051-1056.
    i wont be cheated again.
    next time i’m gonna just record it and then ff to the mariah part.

11. Elle says:

There is a huge Supernatural convention in Chicago this weekend. Jared even watched it at the hotel like so many others. Could that have something to do with the numbers if some of those are Nielsen viewers?

12. Jasmine says:

I hope more people give GIFTED MAN a chance. The ex-wife is getting on my nerves but Patrick Wilson has the bluest eyes I have ever seen and to my surprise, he’s also a very talented actor. He reminds me of a doctor I had a crush on all through school. He was gorgeous too!

• Lori says:

What do you mean more people? 8.7 million are watching, a lot of people are giving the show a chance. Amazing actors but the show kinda suck.

• Yes, but they’re old people. The show needs 18-49 year olds to stay afloat.

• Kathy says:

Um…those of us who have aged out of the 18-49 demo aren’t dead, you know. Some of us are even computer literate and know how to program DVRs and use smartphones (snark intended).

• "Isabella" says:

Thank you, Kathy, for saying that. I am not young and I’m not a nerd. I am a 64 year old woman and a still-hot refugee from thirty years in the rock’n’roll business in L.A. I’ve been there, done that, have the test pressing and the tshirt, I’ve dated many of the biggest rock stars you ever heard of, and was an executive at more than one major record company, among other jobs in the business. And I DVR Supernatural every single week and save each episode. Last season wasn’t its best but it had some high points; I have hopes for this year, though I too was very sorry to see Cas go. I’ll be watching Supernatural until it’s dead and buried. And if I go first, I’ll have Wi-Fi in the box so I don’t miss an episode.

13. jrs says:

Mariah Carey and her brats at the top? Why???? What is this country coming to.

14. lea says:

@jrs, You’re acting like she’s a talentless insignificant reality star aka a Kardashian. Mariah is an amazingly talented living legend.

• Tribe says:

I COMPLETELY agree ! Mariah is a SUPER – STAR & a living music LEGEND that paved way for most stars today ! Of COURSE Mariah would have brought up the views , she has millions of fans & millions of people relate to her struggles and family !

• "Isabella" says:

Excuse me? Mariah “paved the way for most stars today”? Uh, no. Little Richard, Etta James, Little Anthony and the Imperials, Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs, LaVerne Baker, The Teddy Bears, Bill Haley and His Comets, Faye Adams, Buddy Holly & The Crickets, Erma Franklin, Billy Holliday, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Aretha Franklin, Elmore James, and so many more who were writing and recording and performing before your parents were born, these are the people who “paved the way.” You have a lot to learn about rock and pop and soul music history.

Mariah Carey is a talented singer but she owes a lot to the women and men who came before her.

15. Snapy says:

It’s a shame that Supernatural’s ratings didn’t go up. Last night’s episode was the best of the season. In addition to Spike and Cordy, they used writers from the amazing first season! I am not ready to say goodbye to Supernatural so I hope we get at least an eighth season.

16. Gusar says:

No Spike for Supernatural <– I see what you did there… LOL

17. Dee says:

Supernatural was fantastic!!!

It had all the elements of an earlier season show: gore, humor, Bobby being off-screen.

Loved it.

Also did enjoy Nikita a lot. The bombshell they dropped……

18. Liza180 says:

I don’t know why SPN fans are complaining. Jeez. The CW has been very kind to this show so I’m not complaining. I love this season although i miss the music at the beginning. Last night’s was awesome and I dearly hope they bring James an maggie back because they are great allies and could have a great storyline. I love SPN will follow it to the end.

• Chris says:

KIND?? Tell me you’re kidding! The CW’s most watched show before TVD came along was ‘Supernatural’! And that was when they moved its schedule all over the place! If WB hadn’t merged with UPN (or something), this show would have had more than 4-5 million viewers every year, instead of the crappy 2million + dvr fans (No offense to anybody)! I love this show, but what the hell – the music at the start is Supernatural’s trademark and Sera has taken it away! The storyline is good this season, unlike season 6. But the good deed had been undone long before when they announced Cas was going to be a guest star this season! That drove away hordes of Cas fans! And also CW has “NOT” promoted Spnl this season! There are tons of Ringer and TVD promos all the time on the chanel, but barely one or two mentions for Spnl – The Best Show Ever! I miss Kripke!! He should have continued as showrunner! Oh btw I liked everything about last night’s episode, other than Charisma Carpenter’s acting!

• Dee says:

I seriously doubt that Sera took away the classic rock.

Have you heard of budgets? EVERY show has one, and guess what? if there is not enough money you cannot pay for music to be on the show.

Not when you have to do special effects and all the millions of other things a show needs to be produced.

19. Aj says:

Stopped watching Supernatural in the fifth season.
    Nikita is sooo good and I’ll see Grimm in next week.

20. elevendcc says:

i’m a supernatural fan but last episode was aweful and boring..
    what a waste of talent.

21. JT says:

Another season of Supernatural with Sera Gamble at the helm? No thanks. This show should have ended at season 5, if it meant to avoid her contributing to where this show is now. I’m adding Supernatural to my list where it was good for the first 3-4 seasons and then starts to jump shark towards the very end.

22. Rachel says:

I only just started watching SPN this past summer, but I blazed through the first 6 seasons to finally catch up for new eps. I LOVED this week’s! And I really don’t see much (if any) difference between the show with Kripke vs. Gamble at the helm, I don’t understand all this “Sera sucks” hate. I thought last season was really interesting, and while I do miss Cas a LOT, I’m still holding out hope for his return…somehow. I think the Leviathan is a great big bad for this season! And I’m looking forward to a great season, and hopefully a season 8.

• Will says:

The first 5 seasons with Kripke had a purpose! The big bad was “The BIG BAD” whole season. While in season 6, the big bad Mother of all was killed off instantly. That sucked. And making Cas evil was a stroke of brilliance which they ruined by making him a guest actor and killing off the character in favor of leviathan-Cas. Also not many rock songs now which was Supernatural’s trademark! All these reasons combine to saying Sera Gamble sucks! Btw I think season 7 is much much better overall compared to season 6.

23. Rachel says:

Also, why doesn’t someone give James Marsters his own niche show? Honestly, as any character that guy is hilarious.

24. Lisa says:

I thought the Supernatural epi was great. Loved seeing Spike and Cordy about magic. Dean doesn’t necessarily have to look wasted. I think it’s obvious he has a high tolerance and the self-control to do his job. I never tire of Sam and Dean.

25. raelee514 says:

yep, SPN was adjusted up. It’s steady, as always and doing great for the CW, it could be doing better but I’m not worried about it’s ratings. I think a lot SPN fans aren’t watching live for many various reasons… it’s normal show fatigue when a show gets older.

26. Lisa says:

NBC is going to have to move Grimm to another day. I refuse to give up Supernatural & Fringe for Grimm on Friday.