Pan Am's Kelli Garner: Goran Visnjic Makes For Some Very Friendly (If Not Downright Sexy) Skies

Goran Visnjic, who kept patients’ blood pumping as ER‘s Dr. Luka Kovac, is about to get many hearts racing as a handsome traveler the sky girls of ABC’s Pan Am meet this Sunday at 10/9c. But will the Clipper Majestic’s undercover crew member go under covers in the name of staying on top of the enigmatic Slav? Kelli Garner shared with TVLine a look at her itinerary for Visnjic’s three-week visit.

TVLINE | So, Goran Visnjic is flying Pan Am for the next few weeks?
He is, yes! We’re on our way to Monte Carlo when we have a layover in London, and I’m told I need to get especially close with this man. So I do!

TVLINE | But Kate’s isn’t the only head this Niko guy turns. She has to sort of battle Maggie for him?
Oh, all the girls swoon over him for a moment, and yes, Maggie (played by Christina Ricci) likes him, but it’s complicated because Kate needs to steal him not for personal reasons.

TVLINE | By the time Kate gets wind that Niko is her next assignment, how deep is she in?
Not deep at all. She has just met him on the flight and they’re on their layover, so she ends up garnering his attention by kicking his ass in a game of billiards.
Watch a preview here, then read on for more:

TVLINE | Is this Kate’s first big test in separating her feelings from her mission?
Yes, very much so. I believe that Kate’s prior missions have been little tests and not very important. They were just seeing how she acts under pressure.

TVLINE | Will we get a splash of sexiness in this arc?
[Laughs] Absolutely. You’ll get some sexiness in this Sunday’s episode, in fact. It comes fast. It’s hard to not get sexiness when Goran is on the screen.

Pan Am Scoop: Friday Night Lights Alum Takes Flight

TVLINE | Will Kate grow to be craftier as a covert operative? She’s been bit bumbling….
Absolutely. There is a patience that is needed by the audience, because she’s not overnight a great CIA agent. She’s just been plucked off the line of beautiful stewardesses, so there’s a lot that she has to learn. In the CIA, they say they break them down so they can build them up the way they want them, so she’s being tested and thrown all over the place for a reason.

TVLINE | And this is something she must really want to do. Bridget gave her several reasons to get out.
Kate is a very competitive creature by nature – competitive with herself. When she sees a challenge or has an opportunity presented to her, she wants to be the best at it. Something like this, especially in the ’60s, separates her from other women, it separates her from her sister…. It’s a way for her to stand out in her own subtle, quiet way.

Photo Gallery: Pan Am‘s Karine Vanasse and Other Fresh Faces on Fall TV

TVLINE | Will we learn more of Kate’s backstory?
You got a bit of it in the Paris episode, with her mother and how she’s constantly having to take care of her sister, so for now I think you will see more of Kate’s present-day life. They’re going to keep has past a little elusive, to keep people guessing what makes her tick.

TVLINE | What historic 1960s events await Kate, Laura et al?
There are so many historical moments in the ’60s, and so many historic things that Pan Am did. I know that in a couple of episodes Martin Luther King delivers his speech, but I don’t know if it will be as much a focus as the JFK storyline [was in Episode 3]. I know the Beatles flew Pan Am….

TVLINE | Yeah, imagine that episode? That’s totally sweeps fodder.
Yeah, it was their first flight to America, so that could be a pretty cool episode.

TVLINE | I can see it now — Justin Bieber as Paul McCartney.
Oh boy…. Let’s not get carried away here!

Gilmore Girls‘ Scott Cohen Books Pan Am Arc, Kicking Off Oct. 23

TVLINE | What would people be surprised to learn about the making of Pan Am? That all these exotic destinations are shot on a back lot in Brooklyn?
Yes, we call that “Jakarta, Brooklyn.” [Laughs] We’re apparently making a big splash in Sweden — we had one of their biggest TV premieres to date — so I’m hoping that these countries are begging us at some point to fly there. It’d be so lovely to actually use them as locations!

1. Clpsampath says:

Just caught up and I an lovin it so fast. I love goran he is gonna bring a little spice up kates life. I think she is pretty crafty as a courier. I have hope. hopefully abc will pick it up for a full season.

2. Mia says:

I feel like I could enjoy this show if they scrapped the whole spy aspect of it. I tune out every time that is on the screen.

• Earth Orbiter says:

I have to agree with you. I think this show would be interesting enough just focusing on what was going on in the world at that time: Kennedy’s “Camelot,” the Cuban missile crisis, the Cold War and Viet Nam, etc., all of which could be addressed and affect these characters without any of the “secret agent” intrigue. For instance, I liked the whole “space race” angle from last week’s episode and how it was worked into the co-pilot’s back story. The 1960’s were very dynamic and not all of it was international or even political. There’s enough source material to write some very interesting, non-Bond-esque type episodes that would be just as entertaining.

• Mia says:

I honestly liked the antenna aspect of it. It’s simple touches like that which bring the show to life. With as many characters as they have, they definitely have enough material to work with leaving out the spy material.

• Fudgefase says:

Spot on! The spy thing is a silly distraction. There were some incredible things happening at the time the series is set, and they could easily be the focus of the show. All this spy stuff is not needed. Mind you, I adore Goran. So glad he’s in the show. I think I’d have to do a lot of takes to get that cuddling right!

• Kimm says:

I actually like the spy aspect. It’s part of what keeps me tuned in each week.

3. BeckyJ says:

I can’t decide if I like this show or not…I love the historical context but the characters aren’t really holding my interest.

4. Carrie says:

I haven’t seen Goran Visnjic in ages. I remember well his characters in the movies Welcome to Sarajevo and The Deep End. Both excellent movies. I may have to tune in to Pan Am on Sunday. The first couple of episodes were good but I started getting bored by the 3rd one.

5. Alana says:

This show isn’t perfect, but I hope that the ratings stabilize so that it’ll have time to grow and develop. I love the way it handles female characters in the context of the times, and Karine Vanasse as Colette has been such a surprise. She’s wonderful and hopefully has a long career ahead of her. And I love Christina Ricci’s Maggie! For the most part, the show has been delightful and I hope there is much more to come.

6. Daisy says:

I’m excited to see Goran Visnjic again. I didn’t watch ER that often, but he was good and I loved his arc on Leverage last year. I also love this show, I hope ABC (and the viewers) give it a chance. Last weeks episode was great, they need to give Michael Mosley (Ted) more screentime.

7. RitaAnn says:

I cannot stand this show. I really wanted to like it – was drawn in because I enjoy Madmen and love Christina Ricci. But its dull and the characters are singulalry not compelling. So disappointing because they have so much to work with and do not need the spy angle which just muddies things without adding much to the story. I can’t imagine this show will last long.

8. Danielle H. says:

Matt, I’mma have to flick you for the Justin Bieber aside. Shame on you *tsk tsk* ;)

9. douglaas says:

This show is a fresh surprise! It is good now but has unlimited room for expansion and variety……..interesting characters ready for full development. Keep it up and keep building………..

10. majken says:

all i know is kelli garner is freakin gorgeous!!! thats the reason i watch.

11. leroy johnson says:

I have to agree that kelli garner is hot I like the show and I like the spy aspect of the show kelli really hot

12. Tia says:

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Pan Am. It’s a work of art on many levels. Congratulations to ABC for this gem.