Once Upon a Time: Your Guide to the Magical Residents -- Real and Fairy Real!

This Sunday at 8/7c, ABC’s Once Upon a Time will spin a fantastical tale that could only come from former Lost executive producers and scribes Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz.

The sleepy berg of Storybrooke seems normal – except for the fact that the town clock has frozen time at 8:15 and most of the people living there are actually fairytale characters. It’s up to a boy named Henry to bring “savior” Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison) to town if there’s any hope of lifting the curse the Evil Queen has put on its inhabitants.

Once Upon a Time First Look: Jennifer Morrison Gets Schooled on a Town’s Fabled Secrets

TVLine got the scoop on this magical, mysterious tour through worlds real and surreal straight from the cast during a Vancouver set visit arranged by ABC. Here is who’s who in Storybrooke and from storybooks.

1. Pocket says:

Emma Swann is Rose Red or I’ll eat my hat.

2. Michael Sacal says:

I’m pretty sure the Sheriff is the wolf from Red Riding Hood.

• Jen says:

that’s good! It was driving me nuts trying to figure out who he was supposed to be. I was thinking Robin Hood, but that just didn’t seem right…

• uh says:

Robin Hood is NOT a fairy tale. No magic there at all.

• Amy says:

I thought he was robin hood too…. it seems right to me but it could be the big bad wolf, he just doesn’t seem like an inherently bad character like all of the other “bad guys” in the “story book” reality.

• Mark says:

He kinda resembles the big bad wolf character in Fable that is also the cop.

• Bri. says:

I thought he was the huntsmen that the queen asked to kill Snow White but he didn’t have the heart

• Michael Sacal says:

Hmmmm… it would make sense to keep the fairy tales that are connected together, but I don’t know. I think that the beard gives it away that he’s wolf.

• James says:

Or maybe the Big Bad Wolf was turned into a regular wolf in the pilot. :)

• Michael Sacal says:

There’s one thing I hadn’t considered before.

Let us say that the sheriff is indeed the wolf, and he is the same wolf that kept Emma from leaving (i.e. the wolf that caused the crash was not the one from the three little pigs but the one from red riding hood, who in his human form is the sheriff).

If the wolf/Sheriff works for the Queen/mayor and she wants Emma to leave, why would he stop her?

Is the wolf working against the queen? If so, why?

• Tee says:

Yeah that’s what I thought too.

• SammyG says:

I think the sheriff isn’t a fairy tale character with a name. I think he was the guard who stabbed Prince Charming. Think about it. A sheriff is basically a guard. He loves dark clothes. He likes to pound on people’s doors. The guard in black clothing pounded on the wardrobe door. I think the wolf is a misdirect. Who said all the characters had to be big names? Why can’t the sheriff have been a bad guy working for the Evil Queen? Maybe he can change? Plus, his voice seemed to match up to me. He was the one who told the Queen about the baby in Fairy Tale World. Maybe???

• Allie says:

I thought the exact same thing when the guard spoke to the Queen. Also, because he was with the Queen when Emman took Henry home, I assumed he was ‘on her side’.

• Mimilora says:

I’m going to have to say that after 2 episodes, i am going to agree that the sheriff is the huntsman from Snow White. If we remember that EVERYONE but Mr. Gold (Rumplestiltskin) has forgotten who they are-it stands to reason that the Evil Queen keeps going to the Sheriff aka the huntsman with help getting rid of the progeny of Snow White in much the same way that she tried to rid herself of Snow White. I think the wolf was just the big bad wolf. But this question and so much more will keep me coming back!! I love the show!

• Amy says:

I was thinking he might have been the Huntsman who took Snow White into the Forest at the Evil Queen’s orders then let her go….

3. Michael Sacal says:

One thing that I’m confused about after watching the pilot online is that if Emma escaped the curse why is she so hesistant to belive Henry? Shouldn’t she be more open minded?

• James says:

Maybe because she still has trouble believing everything.

• Nerwen Aldarion says:

She grew up in our world, would you believe it if a kid came up to you and said that everyone in his home town was actually a fairy tale character?

• Michael Sacal says:

Shouldn’t there be an upside to her having escaped the curse, though?

• ultimate troll says:

She is free to go forth and buy red leather products and hang out at starbucks.

• Julie says:

LOL! Good one.
            If the show is about fairytales there’s probably just one answer to your question Michael: the upside may be that she’ll save the world and find her own Prince Charming (not… her… dad… but her own prince lol!)

• Michael Sacal says:

I do wonder what the mechanics of the show will be. Will Emma help the tales rediscover who they are and they’ll revert back to their fairy tale forms (i.e. Jimminy Cricket becomes a cricket)? Then what? Will they remain on Earth or return to fairy tale land?

4. Jim says:

This was a very good pilot.

5. Frederik says:

Watched the pilot. Special effects looked cheap and the costumes were laughable. Characters are ok tho and story is believable. Ginnifer is lovely as Snow White and I love the Evil Queen…but Jennifer Morrison? Are we trying to be serious here? She is so bad in everything she does that this almost sounds like a bad joke. I kind of liked one of her scenes with the kid but she put me to sleep with the rest of her performance. Will someone tell this woman she needs to open her mouth to speak? She is monotone as hell and her character is lifeless because of it. And by the way, no way she is playing a 28 years old. C´mon.

• Paul says:

I think she’s very youthful looking. And she was very good here. She was also good on House. Her performance on How I met Your Mother wasn’t her fault, it was the writers.

• Frederik says:

She is hot and everything but she must be around 38 not 28. Her face is really aged. I didn´t find this detail believable at all. She was awful in HIMYM and just a little less irritating on House.

• Rob M says:

How I met Your Mother ruined How I Met Your Mother The show is god-awful.
          Jennifer Morrison is a fine actress people complain for the sake of complaining

• T says:

How I Met You Mother is a great show. My favorite sitcom on today and I like several but it is the best. She was awful on that show… can’t decide yet what I think about her here

• Rebecca says:

IRL, she is 32. IMO, she can pass for 28, no problem.

• Nicole says:

If they have 30 year olds playing high schoolers I really don’t see any problem at all with a 32 year old playing a 28 year old

• James says:

Buffy had bad special effects. So did Star Trek. And yet they were some of the best shows ever.

• DaddyB in Hollywood says:

Jennifer Morrison is 32. Not that far off. She’s SUPPOSED to be world weary and had a hard life so I’m ok with 28.

• lauren says:

Is this where the line for Lisa E. fans forms? Looks like it, LOL. Like clockwork, amazing. And insecure.

• Rotkopf says:

I really, really liked Emma’s big scene busting the cheater. Very well done.

• Tarc says:

I completely disagree with everything Frederik said. Great pilot!

• Wat? says:

Her character was abandoned on the side of the freeway as an infant, and is now a bail-bondsperson, which means she’s dealing with shady jerks all the time. Is she’s lifeless, it’s justified. Morrison is doing a great job, IMO.

Also, *her voice is monotonous as hell…
      There, fixed it for you. :)

6. Dessy says:

After watching the pilot, I love this show already. Josh Dallas is such a hottie

7. angelstorm says:

Thoroughly enjoyed the pilot – as soon as it was done I wanted the next episode straight away ! Definitely a good sign !! :D

8. Andy says:

My thoughts was that the Sheriff would be Robin Hood. Imagine Robin Hood forced to act the role of a Sheriff by the curse. That would explain the actor’s comment about being “foxy”. Robin Hood was a fox in the Disney movie. I was thinking that the wolf was the town’s way to keep Emma inside once she entered. Remember, Henry said that bad things happen when someone tried to leave. I imagine Henry is immune since he did not originate in the Fairy Tale world.

• Ryan says:

I was totally thinking the same thing… I could definitely see the Sheriff turning out to be Robin Hood… After all, Robin Hood has a very strong sense of morals. He could fit well in the sherrif role. And the “Foxy” comment fits since they seem to be using Disney versions of things for this… Robin Hood was a Fox in Disney’s version.

• Le says:

Wow, that’s a really good theory! I personally thought he was the big bad wolf and despite the “bad guys” from the fairy tales being in power now, I think they want everything to go back as it was before. The Queen still has the ultimate power so they do as she says but they all want good to win I think because with the queen in power it’s worse than when the good guys were running things. This is just a theory of mine but i have to lean towards Andy’s theory now lol

9. LaurenceG says:

This pilot was so unexpectedly good!!! All the acting was top notch especially Lana Padilla playing the evil queen….she’s been on a bunch of other shows but never got to really show her stuff. I was not prepared for it to be completely engaging!!! I hope they keep it up.

10. Gretchen says:

I don’t normally enjoy fantasy type programs, but this and Grimm have me intrigued.

11. Danielle H says:

Thanks for this! Will make it a better watch knowning who is who.

12. GaysWithOpinions says:

Just watched the pilot and loved. Thought the cast was great as well as the acting. I just don’t understand the point of the curse. Like if they’re all going to be banished to Storybrooke, why would the evil queen banish herself as well to not remember? I just don’t get it completely, but I loved it.

• Dessy says:

No, The evil queen knows who she is. Remember the scene with the mirror.

• Ann says:

No, I don’t think the Evil Queen knows who she is. If she did, she would have killed Emma or done something. I think she, along with everyone else in the fairytale, have some sense of their alternative life…they just don’t know what it is.

• Le says:

No the queen knows, she’s probably the only one, except for maybe Rumplestilskin, who does know. I read somewhere that they were going to explain later on in the series why she herself is there with everyone else. I also loved in the pilot that little girl gave “snow white”‘s counterpart a pear instead of the traditional apple. It shows she’s still weary of them even in this reality.

• Julie says:

The queen knows: she is the one who brought them all to our world and she is the mayor of the town so she set everything up to check up on everyone for sure.

13. Guy says:

The pilot is awesome. I feel like this is going to grow on me very quickly and i pray ABC treats it well and viewers flock to it. 8pm Sunday though is a very tough timeslot to attract viewers. I would have put it on Wednesday or Thursday but you never know.

14. Tim says:

the pilot is amasing! the acting was great.Loved Jennifer Morrison’s performance

15. jenna says:

I loved the pilot and am excited for more episodes. All 3 female leads are brilliant and well cast.
    This and Revenge are my favorite shows this season.

16. Liz says:

Can’t wait to see it.

17. mirvin365 says:

Hmmmm….I figured after watching the show tonight that the Sheriff was the huntsman from Red Riding Hood who saves her & the grandmother. I figured he was gonna be a love interest for Emma – steal him away from Regina causing a little drama there. No? Totally crazy theory?

18. Geek says:

Pilot was IN-credible! The three lead actresses were amazing, the story, while not very original was still gripping, and this will be my Sunday-night show if the quality keeps up.

19. Rowen says:

I think that the Sheriff is the Huntsman from Snow White as a servant to the the Evil Queen he was supposed to take her out to the woods and cut out her heart and deliver it to the Queen. But he could not and told Snow White to run. He then killed a boar and brought its heart to the Queen. I feel that his position as Sheriff is similar in that he is kind and good but as the Queen is now Mayor she is still his boss.

20. Marc G says:

While other explanations make far better sense, wouldn’t it be hilarious if the Sheriff is the Ginger Bread Man? HIs name is Sheriff GRAHAM after all! The names do tend to tie in to their Fairy Tale characters after all. HA!

21. Tommy V says:

Did anyone notice why Emma asked the mayor, “Do you love him?” talking about Henry? I think it’s because she knows when people lie. When the mayor responded that she did indeed love Henry, Emma could tell that she wasn’t truthful, and that’s why Emma finally decided to stay in Storybrook. Who would leave a kid like that alone with a mother who doesn’t love him.

22. Dreamfox 40 says:

He’s the Huntsman.

23. tvlgg says:

I love the minds of the “lost” writers! They plant a seed and we do all the guessing. I bet all these characters are dead too,or never existed at all!! lol!!

24. tvlgg says:

Marc G may be on to something by thinking the sheriff could be the gingerbread man…think abt it…Sheriff GRAHAM!! not to mention the gingerbread man was eaten by a FOX. In “fairytale” world he was the one being chased by all the bad guys that wanted to eat him but in the flip world of Storybrooke he is the one chasing the bad guys! Sweet justice I’d say!! Also, the cinnamon on the hot chocolate could be a quirky little nod to that ingredient in gingerbreadman cookies. Wouldn’t it make sense for all the fairytale folks to like that flavor.

25. ST says:

she was born in 1979. She is 32. Only 4 years older then her character.

26. yissel says:

i dont get the time line with all the character wich is the only thing that confused me