Exclusive

Office Exclusive: Catherine Tate Returning at Midseason For Major Arc

If this doesn’t get you to check back into The Office this seasonothing will: Uproarious British comedian Catherine Tate is returning to the show in February for an arc that will carry through for the remainder of the season (and hopefully beyond).

Best. News. Ever.

Tate will reprise her role from last May’s finale as misguided special projects manager Nellie Bertram, who was one of the candidates interviewing to replace Michael Scott (Steve Carell) as the manager of Dunder Mifflin’s Scranton branch (a gig that ultimately went to Ed Helms’ Andy).

Office Scoop: Maura Tierney to Guest Star as [Spoiler Alert]!

According to Office exec producer Paul Lieberstein, Nellie returns to work on a new project and strikes up a “far from professional” relationship with James Sapder’s boss man Robert California.

And I repeat: Best. News. Ever.

Want Office Scoop and Spoilers 24/7? Follow me on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. BC says:

Do you work for NBC/Phil Lieberstein? Otherwise, not sure why you’re so excited. Her character was pretty dull.

2. Justin says:

Great idea to me! I actually liked her as much as Robert California, but I thought Robert was the better pick.

3. James says:

Ohhhh I’m SO looking forward to this!! :D

4. Jenny says:

Didn’t like her one bit on the finale….I might just stop watching. That’s how much I couldn’t stand what they did with her character. And the “relationship” planned…sounds ridiculous.

5. Juanna smoosh says:

The office jumped the shark this season. Actually a couple seasons ago. I don’t think it can come back unless Michael does.

6. Dave O. says:

Andy is just too much of a lightweight for that role.

7. Debra says:

The talent just keeps coming. Ed Helms is doing a great job in an impossible task–replacing Steve Carrell. (Go back and watch Season 1 to be reminded of how much the Michael Scott character has been developed over the years.) Catherine Tate was hysterical in The Interview. Jolly good!

8. Hannah says:

YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY

9. Kirsten says:

The characters just don’t jell anymore without the unpredictable M. Scott! Dwight cannot carry alone and could Jim/Pam get anymore uncomfortable? Spader’s California character is the closest to capturing the ‘fly by seat o’ pants’ Scott.

10. Bob says:

Doctor Donna!

11. S. from A. says:

O M G This is brilliant : D

12. Well, that sucks. She was good on Doctor Who, but she was terrible in the season finale.

13. Teresa says:

I liked her on the finale and was hoping she’d come back. So, goodie!

I also think Ed Helms is doing a great job stepping into the manager role. I’ve been looking back at Season 4, and it’s amazing to see how much they’ve developed Andy. Although they’ve consistently kept him a lousy salesman. :)

I also like the way that elevating Andy has given us more Darryl. I’d like to see more of their relationship.

I’ve been liking the guest stars. too. It’s always fun to see familiar faces adapt to the Office style of acting. I’m really looking forward to seeing Maura Tierney.

So, there’s a contrarian opinion for you.

14. Brett Dale says:

Your kidding me right. This is the worst news for Office fans, this is the worst move since McLean Stevenson left mash for Hello larry.
    The office is brilliant, they dont need someone who isnt funny.

15. Vinny says:

I love Catherine Tate the person, and even though the character Nellie could use quite some work, I look forward to this!

16. bd says:

I like the changes this season in the abstract —Nard Dog in charge, Weird dude California the CEO. But when it comes to delivering? California has become too normal. And there have only been maybe 4-5 episodes and two of them were basically the same, just one went to a tatoo parlor and one went to Schrute Farms.

Hoping it gets better. A really talented cast.

17. Walkie says:

The show needs someone to breathe life back into it. This season has been a disaster.

18. Georgia says:

I studied The Office (the original – Ricky Gervais) in Media Studies and it’s not a comedy. It’s a ‘docusoap’ – documentary and soap. There are no gag lines, no audience laughing added. When it was first shown no one understood the genre but we loved it. That’s why some people aren’t finding Catherine funny. Anyways, I think she is a brilliant actress and a comedy genius :)

19. jim says:

No! I hated her on Dr. Who and I don’t like her on the Office.

20. Mike says:

Thanks Catherine Tate you ruined the office!!! You’re not funny!!! And your hideous teeth and sunken eyes don’t help!!! I hate you for ruining my favorite t.v show and I speak for the rest of the u.s we want Steve carrel back not some ugly a$$ British c$nt

21. Joshua says:

Catherine Tate is AMAZING and has saved the show. Anyone who says different is a complete moron.

22. x-Space.su says:

Hello, its pleasant paragraph about media print, we all
    know media is a great source of facts.