Office Exclusive: Catherine Tate Returning at Midseason For Major Arc

If this doesn’t get you to check back into The Office this seasonothing will: Uproarious British comedian Catherine Tate is returning to the show in February for an arc that will carry through for the remainder of the season (and hopefully beyond).

Best. News. Ever.

Tate will reprise her role from last May’s finale as misguided special projects manager Nellie Bertram, who was one of the candidates interviewing to replace Michael Scott (Steve Carell) as the manager of Dunder Mifflin’s Scranton branch (a gig that ultimately went to Ed Helms’ Andy).

Office Scoop: Maura Tierney to Guest Star as [Spoiler Alert]!

According to Office exec producer Paul Lieberstein, Nellie returns to work on a new project and strikes up a “far from professional” relationship with James Sapder’s boss man Robert California.

And I repeat: Best. News. Ever.

Want Office Scoop and Spoilers 24/7? Follow me on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

Comments (84)

• my thoughts on this: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by nath – October 21, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And again: Best. News. Ever.

Comment by Marcela – October 21, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not allowed to curse but if I was I would say F*** YEAH

Comment by Maja – October 21, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am SO excited. This is such great news on a Friday afternoon! Catherine Tate continues to be everything to me.

Comment by Bailey – October 21, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brb. Dancing the happiest of happy dances.

Comment by Anna – October 21, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST NEWS EVER!! i stopped watching the office after the premiere no offence to andy but he was trying too hard to be michael.. catherine tate is the best actress for this role!! she is the best i will return if she does

Comment by kimmy – October 21, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BUT IS SHE BOVVERED

Comment by bluestockinginc.tumblr – October 21, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do. I. Look. Bovvered?

Comment by Mackenzie – October 21, 2011 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not bovvered!

Comment by eric – October 22, 2011 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was actually liking the start of the season, but this news might make me stop watching. Just like I would have if they made this character the boss.

Comment by Clint – October 21, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly! Don’t get me wrong, I think Catherine Tate is very funny, but she was not at ALL funny when she was on in the spring, so I’m not sure why they think she’ll be funny this time around.

Comment by Mal – October 21, 2011 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well that was due to unfunny writing. Maybe they’ll up their game. She is VERY funny.

Comment by AT – October 21, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • wow – i thought i was crazy. she may be funny, but she certainly wasnt funny on the office

Comment by tab – October 21, 2011 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I too blame any unfunniness (is that a word?) on the writing. I in particular didn’t think the epi with the interviews was funny at all. I think they were concentrating on squeezing as many familiar faces as possible into the show and not on the actual writing. But give Catherine a try…she’s an extremely funny lady.

Comment by Snarkland – October 21, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh hurray hurrah! She is awesome! I don’t often watch the show, but will definitely catch her starting in February! She is just wonderful.

Comment by Liana in San Diego – October 21, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Huzzah! Any time Donna Noble is on screen is a great time for all!

Comment by Samantha – October 21, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAAAAAAAAY!!!!! I gave up on the show (at long last) after the first episode of this season. I like Ed Helms a lot, but Andy was never the right choice to follow Michael, and I thought they missed a crucial opportunity to revive the show by deciding to “hire from within.” With this news, all is forgiven — I can muddle through the rough spots if I’ve got Donna Noble–er, I mean, Catherine Tate to look forward to… ;)

Comment by Jessica – October 21, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • America’s version could use a good dose of British Humor! BRING IT ON!!! I am SO excited to see Donna… er, Catherine Tate on network TV and for her to bring her BRILLIANT comedic style to America.

Comment by DaddyB in Hollywood – October 21, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • aaah mike, we knew it! knew she would come back after much ado!

Comment by Michelle – October 21, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t feeling Tate’s character on the season finale. Can someone please direct me to her comedy???? So I atleast know what to look forward to when she makes her appearance..?

Comment by Saidy – October 21, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She stared in her own sketch comedy show, The Catherine Tate Show. She also did drama in season 4 of Doctor Who.

Comment by maggie – October 21, 2011 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen Saidy. I don’t get it either. Meh.

Comment by topoopon – October 21, 2011 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Here, Saidy, try this:

It’s Tate’s humor with a little of The Doctor thrown in.

Comment by Bob – October 22, 2011 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best. News. Ever!

Comment by Donna Noble – October 21, 2011 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news I’ve heard all week!!!!

Comment by Kimberly brooks – October 21, 2011 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love her! I don’t usually watch The Office, but maybe I’ll catch a few of her episodes. Her guest appearance last season was just so tiny and lamely written to make much of an impression. But with a big arc, I’m sure the writers will up their game for her. She’s super talented and I just loved her on Doctor Who. They should get David Tennant for a guest spot in one of her episodes. :) Now that would be the best news ever!

Comment by AT – October 21, 2011 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Steve back! I haven’t seen the show since be left (mostly because of work schedule).

Comment by Regina – October 21, 2011 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah.. It’s James Spader, not James Sapder.

Comment by Mike – October 21, 2011 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate this unfunny woman so much, why can’t they stop throwing new things into the mix to try and fill the void now Michael has left? Just work with what you have, the show has so much to work with. Tate is awful, the PM doing a skit with her was the lowest point in my country’s history. Screw this news so much.

This is the classic thing of a shows stories stopping being pushed by the characters themselves and instead having random crap happening TO the characters and them just having to react. ‘Lets stick a crazy brit in! What if everyone won the lotto!? Hey, lets send the whole office to the jungle and see how Pam would get on there! Crazy!’

Stick to the basics guys.

Comment by Joe – October 21, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH. MY. GOSH.
    I SCREAMED.

Comment by grace – October 21, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • James Sapder’s.. Sapderrrs. That’s Robert California played by Mr. Sapder pff could have fooled me :-p

Comment by Tito – October 21, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t stand her, I was gonna give up watching if she was made boss, and now I’m disgusted, Never laughed at her “comedy” she’s terrible

Comment by Daniel O' Malley – October 21, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL- quite right.

“do you see my face? is it bothered? do i look bothered to you?”

sorry, but thats just not very funny. and the sad part is that was about her whole comedic routine. 1 annoying catch phrase. she really isn’t very funny.

Comment by Audevourahn – October 21, 2011 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay. After 7 years, I’m done with the Office. Catherine Tate was a shrill, talentless, annoying waste of digital media in the interview episodes. I was soooooo glad that Andy moved up. Oh well. At least P&R is still top-notch.

Comment by Edawg – October 21, 2011 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is my favorite comedienne!

Comment by Sandy – October 21, 2011 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are they following some sort of blueprint for ruining this show as quickly as possible now that Steve Carrell has left?

Comment by Zombie Librarian – October 21, 2011 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG YAY!!!!!!!

Comment by sara – October 21, 2011 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Robert California is not funny at all. Get rid of him and I don’t even remember this Tate lady.

Comment by amz – October 21, 2011 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news ever would be if Steve Carell came back.

Comment by Jon – October 21, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haven’t watched the office since the christmas episodes of last year but I love Catherine Tate she’s great he tv show is funny and she was one of the best companions on Doctor who

Comment by Lauren – October 21, 2011 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I.
    Effing.
    Love.
    Catherine Tate!!!

Comment by mr.smith – October 21, 2011 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the producers and writers have done an incredible job of keeping The Office hilarious after its biggest star moved on. Ed Helms is the perfect fit as regional mgr and his submissive role has worked well. Steve was one of a kind and by bringing in aknown character from previous episodes will keep the show fresh. Great job to the behind the scenes guys and Ed Helms is a very funny actor.

Comment by Dave – October 21, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never heard of Catherine Tate and don’t remember her character at all. I can’t imagine any The Office “news” I’d be less excited about.

Comment by ManBearPig – October 21, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s just built out of pure awesome.

Comment by ultimate troll – October 21, 2011 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only one thing to say…WOO HOO!!!!

Comment by Ali – October 21, 2011 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They need to do something REALLY SOON. The show is going downhill QUICKLY. Since Michael left, it is NOT the same. NO ONE can replace him, but hopefully they will will find someone to be the “BOSS” of the office. There is NO continuity and everyone seems to be trying to be the star of the show. NOT working. Sorry.

Comment by Thad Gifford – October 21, 2011 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I forgot something….I didn’t like her appearance on The Office. She is NOT funny and if she returns….I’m D.O.N.E. Get it right or cancel the show. To try to continue on without the humor that Michael brought is degrading to what used to be.

Comment by Thad – October 21, 2011 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love catherine Tate!!!!! best news ever!!!!!!!

Comment by Lynn – October 21, 2011 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Jaxon – October 21, 2011 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOO!! What are you people smoking?!? This completely ruins the office for me. This women is not funny at all . What a bunch of crap!!!’

Comment by Shawn – October 21, 2011 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who is she? The show is fine the way it is. Get rid of robert and bring back the other lady. have her shoot him to get the ceo position back. shoot him in the face.

Comment by michael us navy yokosuka, japan – October 21, 2011 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show has jumped the shark ever since Jim and Pam’s wedding. That weird dance routine at the end of the episode marked the shark-jump so far as I am concerned.

Comment by Audevourahn – October 21, 2011 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Doing my Snoopy happy dance! The Office hasn’t been as funny lately so I hope this gets them back in the game.

Comment by Michele – October 21, 2011 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • a very noble idea

Comment by sheri – October 21, 2011 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe I’m the only one, maybe not, but I don’t get it. She is a comedian in England? Maybe I haven’t heard of her because I’m American, but I don’t think her character on The Office was a bit funny. I found her annoying and her accent was too rich. I think she would be a terrible fit. Just get over it NBC, you can’t fill the void of Michael Scott. You can’t add two or three people to the cast that are “funny” and think that it’s going to make up for the fact that the main character, the GLUE that held this show together, IS GONE. It will never be the same.

Comment by sarah – October 21, 2011 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Out of all the candidates, I would’ve picked her in the first place for her Michael-like energy, but this is great!

Comment by Lacey – October 21, 2011 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When she was on The Office earlier this year, I had no clue who she was. Over the summer I started watching Doctor Who. Glad she is coming back.

Comment by Melanie – October 21, 2011 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh no.. She was a bit funny for five sek but way to much for an entire episode. This might be the reason I stop watching the office. And that is sad because i think its the best show ever. Ofcause the best thing would be to have Steve carell back. Since that will not happen they should promote Jim or Andy for good and stop adding thise new faces all the time.

Comment by Michael – October 21, 2011 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST. NEWS. EVER. is right. What a fantastic casting coup for The Office! Catherine is such a hugely talented actress (in both comedy and drama) and has the most wicked way with a line. I can’t wait to see what she’ll bring to the show. It actually means I’ll have to start watching again now – bring on February!

Comment by SW – October 21, 2011 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haters may hate, but we ain’t bovvered.

Comment by Nay – October 21, 2011 11:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oooh.. what happened to Jim Carry!? That is the ultimate replacement for Michael

Comment by Vlad – October 21, 2011 11:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post