Exclusive

Office Exclusive: Catherine Tate Returning at Midseason For Major Arc

If this doesn’t get you to check back into The Office this seasonothing will: Uproarious British comedian Catherine Tate is returning to the show in February for an arc that will carry through for the remainder of the season (and hopefully beyond).

Best. News. Ever.

Tate will reprise her role from last May’s finale as misguided special projects manager Nellie Bertram, who was one of the candidates interviewing to replace Michael Scott (Steve Carell) as the manager of Dunder Mifflin’s Scranton branch (a gig that ultimately went to Ed Helms’ Andy).

Office Scoop: Maura Tierney to Guest Star as [Spoiler Alert]!

According to Office exec producer Paul Lieberstein, Nellie returns to work on a new project and strikes up a “far from professional” relationship with James Sapder’s boss man Robert California.

And I repeat: Best. News. Ever.

Want Office Scoop and Spoilers 24/7? Follow me on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. nath says:

my thoughts on this: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Marcela says:

And again: Best. News. Ever.

3. Maja says:

I’m not allowed to curse but if I was I would say F*** YEAH

4. Bailey says:

I am SO excited. This is such great news on a Friday afternoon! Catherine Tate continues to be everything to me.

5. Anna says:

Brb. Dancing the happiest of happy dances.

6. kimmy says:

BEST NEWS EVER!! i stopped watching the office after the premiere no offence to andy but he was trying too hard to be michael.. catherine tate is the best actress for this role!! she is the best i will return if she does

7. bluestockinginc.tumblr says:

BUT IS SHE BOVVERED

8. Clint says:

I was actually liking the start of the season, but this news might make me stop watching. Just like I would have if they made this character the boss.

• Mal says:

Exactly! Don’t get me wrong, I think Catherine Tate is very funny, but she was not at ALL funny when she was on in the spring, so I’m not sure why they think she’ll be funny this time around.

• AT says:

Well that was due to unfunny writing. Maybe they’ll up their game. She is VERY funny.

• tab says:

wow – i thought i was crazy. she may be funny, but she certainly wasnt funny on the office

• Snarkland says:

I too blame any unfunniness (is that a word?) on the writing. I in particular didn’t think the epi with the interviews was funny at all. I think they were concentrating on squeezing as many familiar faces as possible into the show and not on the actual writing. But give Catherine a try…she’s an extremely funny lady.

9. Liana in San Diego says:

Oh hurray hurrah! She is awesome! I don’t often watch the show, but will definitely catch her starting in February! She is just wonderful.

10. Samantha says:

Huzzah! Any time Donna Noble is on screen is a great time for all!

11. Jessica says:

YAAAAAAAAY!!!!! I gave up on the show (at long last) after the first episode of this season. I like Ed Helms a lot, but Andy was never the right choice to follow Michael, and I thought they missed a crucial opportunity to revive the show by deciding to “hire from within.” With this news, all is forgiven — I can muddle through the rough spots if I’ve got Donna Noble–er, I mean, Catherine Tate to look forward to… ;)

12. DaddyB in Hollywood says:

America’s version could use a good dose of British Humor! BRING IT ON!!! I am SO excited to see Donna… er, Catherine Tate on network TV and for her to bring her BRILLIANT comedic style to America.

13. Michelle says:

aaah mike, we knew it! knew she would come back after much ado!

14. Saidy says:

I wasn’t feeling Tate’s character on the season finale. Can someone please direct me to her comedy???? So I atleast know what to look forward to when she makes her appearance..?

15. Donna Noble says:

Best. News. Ever!

16. Kimberly brooks says:

Best news I’ve heard all week!!!!

17. AT says:

I love her! I don’t usually watch The Office, but maybe I’ll catch a few of her episodes. Her guest appearance last season was just so tiny and lamely written to make much of an impression. But with a big arc, I’m sure the writers will up their game for her. She’s super talented and I just loved her on Doctor Who. They should get David Tennant for a guest spot in one of her episodes. :) Now that would be the best news ever!

18. Regina says:

I want Steve back! I haven’t seen the show since be left (mostly because of work schedule).

19. Mike says:

Yeah.. It’s James Spader, not James Sapder.

20. Joe says:

I hate this unfunny woman so much, why can’t they stop throwing new things into the mix to try and fill the void now Michael has left? Just work with what you have, the show has so much to work with. Tate is awful, the PM doing a skit with her was the lowest point in my country’s history. Screw this news so much.

This is the classic thing of a shows stories stopping being pushed by the characters themselves and instead having random crap happening TO the characters and them just having to react. ‘Lets stick a crazy brit in! What if everyone won the lotto!? Hey, lets send the whole office to the jungle and see how Pam would get on there! Crazy!’

Stick to the basics guys.

21. grace says:

OH. MY. GOSH.
    I SCREAMED.

22. Tito says:

James Sapder’s.. Sapderrrs. That’s Robert California played by Mr. Sapder pff could have fooled me :-p

23. Daniel O' Malley says:

Can’t stand her, I was gonna give up watching if she was made boss, and now I’m disgusted, Never laughed at her “comedy” she’s terrible

• Audevourahn says:

LOL- quite right.

“do you see my face? is it bothered? do i look bothered to you?”

sorry, but thats just not very funny. and the sad part is that was about her whole comedic routine. 1 annoying catch phrase. she really isn’t very funny.

24. Edawg says:

Okay. After 7 years, I’m done with the Office. Catherine Tate was a shrill, talentless, annoying waste of digital media in the interview episodes. I was soooooo glad that Andy moved up. Oh well. At least P&R is still top-notch.

25. Sandy says:

She is my favorite comedienne!

26. Zombie Librarian says:

Are they following some sort of blueprint for ruining this show as quickly as possible now that Steve Carrell has left?

27. sara says:

OMG YAY!!!!!!!

28. amz says:

Robert California is not funny at all. Get rid of him and I don’t even remember this Tate lady.

29. Jon says:

Best news ever would be if Steve Carell came back.

30. Lauren says:

Haven’t watched the office since the christmas episodes of last year but I love Catherine Tate she’s great he tv show is funny and she was one of the best companions on Doctor who

31. mr.smith says:

I.
    Effing.
    Love.
    Catherine Tate!!!

32. Dave says:

I think the producers and writers have done an incredible job of keeping The Office hilarious after its biggest star moved on. Ed Helms is the perfect fit as regional mgr and his submissive role has worked well. Steve was one of a kind and by bringing in aknown character from previous episodes will keep the show fresh. Great job to the behind the scenes guys and Ed Helms is a very funny actor.

33. ManBearPig says:

I’ve never heard of Catherine Tate and don’t remember her character at all. I can’t imagine any The Office “news” I’d be less excited about.

34. ultimate troll says:

She’s just built out of pure awesome.

35. Ali says:

Only one thing to say…WOO HOO!!!!

36. Thad Gifford says:

They need to do something REALLY SOON. The show is going downhill QUICKLY. Since Michael left, it is NOT the same. NO ONE can replace him, but hopefully they will will find someone to be the “BOSS” of the office. There is NO continuity and everyone seems to be trying to be the star of the show. NOT working. Sorry.

• Thad says:

I forgot something….I didn’t like her appearance on The Office. She is NOT funny and if she returns….I’m D.O.N.E. Get it right or cancel the show. To try to continue on without the humor that Michael brought is degrading to what used to be.

37. Lynn says:

I love catherine Tate!!!!! best news ever!!!!!!!

38. Jaxon says:

SAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39. Shawn says:

NOOO!! What are you people smoking?!? This completely ruins the office for me. This women is not funny at all . What a bunch of crap!!!’

40. michael us navy yokosuka, japan says:

Who is she? The show is fine the way it is. Get rid of robert and bring back the other lady. have her shoot him to get the ceo position back. shoot him in the face.

41. Audevourahn says:

This show has jumped the shark ever since Jim and Pam’s wedding. That weird dance routine at the end of the episode marked the shark-jump so far as I am concerned.

42. Michele says:

Doing my Snoopy happy dance! The Office hasn’t been as funny lately so I hope this gets them back in the game.

43. sheri says:

a very noble idea

44. sarah says:

Maybe I’m the only one, maybe not, but I don’t get it. She is a comedian in England? Maybe I haven’t heard of her because I’m American, but I don’t think her character on The Office was a bit funny. I found her annoying and her accent was too rich. I think she would be a terrible fit. Just get over it NBC, you can’t fill the void of Michael Scott. You can’t add two or three people to the cast that are “funny” and think that it’s going to make up for the fact that the main character, the GLUE that held this show together, IS GONE. It will never be the same.

45. Lacey says:

Yay! Out of all the candidates, I would’ve picked her in the first place for her Michael-like energy, but this is great!

46. Melanie says:

When she was on The Office earlier this year, I had no clue who she was. Over the summer I started watching Doctor Who. Glad she is coming back.

47. Michael says:

Oh no.. She was a bit funny for five sek but way to much for an entire episode. This might be the reason I stop watching the office. And that is sad because i think its the best show ever. Ofcause the best thing would be to have Steve carell back. Since that will not happen they should promote Jim or Andy for good and stop adding thise new faces all the time.

48. SW says:

BEST. NEWS. EVER. is right. What a fantastic casting coup for The Office! Catherine is such a hugely talented actress (in both comedy and drama) and has the most wicked way with a line. I can’t wait to see what she’ll bring to the show. It actually means I’ll have to start watching again now – bring on February!

49. Nay says:

Haters may hate, but we ain’t bovvered.

50. Vlad says:

oooh.. what happened to Jim Carry!? That is the ultimate replacement for Michael