Exclusive

Exclusive: American Horror Story Casts Mena Suvari as Infamous Hollywood Murder Victim

American Horror Story is rolling out the welcome mat for a real American beauty.

Mena Suvari has been cast as a young woman who has a connection to the Harmon house.

Wait, it gets better.

The young woman’s nickname? The Black Dahlia. As in the high-profile murder victim whose 1947 unsolved killing was the subject of myriad books and movie adaptations. (It remains unclear if the character will actually go by the name Elizabeth Short.)

Horror Story Ratings on the Rise

Regardless, something tells me AHS co-creators Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk are about to uncork a new (and obviously fictional) theory as to who — or what —was behind Short’s gruesome slaying.

Suvari is set to appear in this season’s ninth episode.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Laura Anne says:

I love this. There is so much Hollywood lore that they can incorporate in to the show. Having it based in LA was brilliant.
    This is such a great show. It gets better and better every week.

2. aleksa says:

She’ll have to go raven-haired if she’s going to be THAT Black Dahlia.

3. Goldie says:

One of the theories about the Black Dahlia is that a doctor or someone with medical training killed her. A doctor was the original owner of the “Murder House”. Hmm…

4. Diana says:

I think her storyline will make a great addition to the show which gets even more fabulous by the week.

5. Will says:

This show seems to be getting more awesome with every passing episode! Loved her in American Beauty!

6. Heather says:

Former detective Steve Hodel believes that his father was the murderer of the Black Dahlia, along with other murdered women in the LA area in the 1940’s-50’s. Read the Black Dahlia Avenger and you will be convinced he is right too. It was a really good book that I could not put down, but it also made it hard for me to sleep too!

7. s. says:

Mena is a great addition. She is obviously sexy but also can display a dark side, it will be interesting to see how she portrays the character. I’m intrigued by how the creators of the show continue to write in real-life murders and crimes! Idk if it glamorizes the horrible acts of crime but it sure makes the show creepier.

8. There seems to be a medical theme recurring through the show. The two girls who were murdered in the flashback at the beginning of episode two were nursing students, I think. Personally I think Elizabeth Short might have been murdered in a case of mistaken identity (there was a prostitute by the same name in the same area) but I’ll still be looking forward to the Black Dahlia episode.

9. Crystal says:

I totally just bought this book on Amazon based on your suggestion, Heather! I am always captivated by books like that. “Helter Skelter” was one such book that was both horrifying and intriguing at the same time. Thanks for the recommendation! :-)

10. Elias says:

Even though it felt a little forced in, I thought it was awesome how they put the death of Sal Mineo in…there is so much they could do with this show, not just referencing other horror movies, but using actual Hollywood history itself. They’ve used Sal, referenced The Black Dahlia, how long until they put in something about Marilyn Monroe or Charles Manson? I’m just glad I’m a DISH customer/employee right now…with DirecTV’s looming negotiation with FOX out there DirecTV customers could possibly lose FX…

11. @Elias: I didn’t think it was so “awesome” that they squeezed Sal Mineo’s death into the show considering they completely botched all of the details of what happened in a way that was really disrespectful.

12. Justin82 says:

Something just isn’t right here. She’s just too old to play the part. At present she’s 9 years older than the real Black Dhalia, Elizabeth Short was at the time of Short’s gruesome murder. And she very much looks too old for the part. Love the idea, but the casting choice is poor, particularly with so many raven-haired hotties running around Hollywood in their early to mid 20’s looking for a break.

13. jennrae says:

Jesus, I’ve seen the crime scene photos of the Black Dahlia and the way she was left there, cut in half, legs spread, naked, and her face cut like The Joker and her nipple lopped off might be a bit too gruesome for me. Seeing the pictures is one thing, but seeing it reenacted? I don’t know about that.