Supernatural Preview: Charisma Carpenter's Witch Meets Her Match In James Marsters

What do you get when you take the actors who brought to life cult favorites Cordelia Chase and Spike (on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and its spinoff Angel) and put them in a good, old-fashioned case of the week on Supernatural? “Campy fun,” says Charisma Carpenter, who reunites with former Buffy costar James Marsters in this Friday’s installment of the CW series (airing at 9/8c).

Matt’s Inside Line on Supernatural, CSI: NY, Chuck, Secret Circle, Unforgettable and More!

Although it hasn’t been that long since the two have seen each other in passing – “Six or eight months,” Carpenter guesses – there was still some catching up to do on Supernatural‘s Vancouver-based set. “It’s great to see my old friend!” says the actress. “It was just catch-up [like], ‘Have you heard my song? And this is my kid.’”

Onscreen, however, Carpenter and Marsters’ characters, Maggie and Don, exhibit a less-than-friendly dynamic as a married couple going through a nasty separation. Seeing as how “Maggie is a powerful witch with a temper and a jealous streak,” as Carpenter describes her, to say things get out of hand would be an understatement. Don may have been the one who had an extramarital dalliance, but the whole town – and Sam and Dean – pay the price for his infidelity.

“I think we can all relate to somebody cheating on us at some point in time in our relationships and how that feels, and how irrational you become,” says Carpenter. “You’re so mad and angry, you forget…what brought you together.”

But as bitter and vindictive as scorned Maggie might be, her hubby is not be messed with either. “The two of them are on the same level,” she teases. “They’re both really powerful personalities, and they’ve met each other’s match.”

Supernatural First Look Video: Charisma Carpenter Is a Real Witch to James Marsters

Enter Sam and Dean, who in trying to prevent Maggie from blowing Don and the entire community to bits attempt to coax the couple back together, because “the only way to get through what we’re going through is to just get back to the love,” explains the actress. It all culminates in a scene – one of Carpenter’s picks for most fun to shoot – “where we’re casting spells and speaking Romanian and throwing the [Winchesters] around,” she recalls. “That day was very fun.”

Series leads Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles “were really funny,” Carpenter continues. “They did some really great work – Jensen with the bees and pretending to do the psychobabble on me. It was hard to keep a straight face sometimes.”

Maggie, though, gives the boys little to laugh about, and having been on this Earth “a really long time,” she is not to be easily hunted. In fact, when asked whether Maggie or her Buffy/Angel alter ego is a bigger badass, Carpenter didn’t hesitate to reply: “Maggie! Maggie’s meaner. Maggie could take Cordy out.”

Comments (12)

• I love Charisma Carpenter! So looking forward to this. She needs to be on tv every week!

Comment by Snapy – October 20, 2011 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She seems so gracious, not charging fans at conventions. Her and James! Woo hoo.

Comment by lorna – October 21, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s really not fair. She doesn’t seem to age at the same speed everyone else does.

Comment by dee123 – October 20, 2011 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charisma Carpenter, I’ve always been a fan of hers since Buffy. I miss Queen C, and good to see her and James together again. I’ll be tuning in Friday Night

Comment by Buffy4ever22 – October 20, 2011 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cannot wait for this episode!!!

She beats up on the boys?

That is not nice.

Comment by Dee – October 20, 2011 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ooo, so excited, I love Marsters (though he got old ;) )

Comment by myname – October 20, 2011 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait!!

Comment by Carrie – October 20, 2011 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • flawless casting tbch

Comment by trev – October 20, 2011 11:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait……

Comment by daftpunkfan – October 21, 2011 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In this photo, Charisma looks just like a young Finola Hughes!

Comment by Chris G. – October 21, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is truly talented. I mean everybody loves here at Buffy and now this! I hope they will make a remake of Buffy and broadcast it at online tv.

Comment by athena – October 23, 2011 03:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a great episode! I totally loved it! I am glad I was able to download online TV toolbar that allowed me to watch it even when I am on the road. Online TV rocks!

Comment by athena – October 27, 2011 04:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post