Secret Circle Preview: Adam and Cassie Struggle Against 'Fate'! Plus Scoop on the New Guy

In last week’s episode of The CW’s The Secret Circle (Thursdays at 9/8c), Diana made some bold – and revealing! – attempts to keep the flame alive with witchy beau Adam. But it’s going to take a lot more than heavy makeout sessions and sexy lingerie to stop Adam’s attention from wandering to pretty newcomer Cassie. After all, the poor guy might not even have a choice in the matter.

Adam and Cassie are beginning to realize that their free will has its limitations stacked against the “fate thing” bubbling up between them, explains Thomas Dekker (Adam) during a Vancouver set visit arranged by Warner Bros TV. Now, “it’s a question of how much can they keep it at bay.”

Secret Circle Boss Defends [Spoiler]‘s Death!

And keeping that attraction at bay is just what Cassie will try to do — especially since she’s found a friend in Adam’s significant other. “At this point, there’s so much going on in Cassie’s world, the last thing she’s trying to do is interfere in someone’s relationship [or] hurt her friend,” says Britt Robertson (Cassie).

Adam, meanwhile, will be plagued by confusion and two big questions. First, the group’s powers get amped up when two or more members of the circle are present, but Cassie and Adam’s combined magical abilities are particularly strong, leading to the following headscratcher: Does the Adam-Cassie pairing cause an especially amped-up power, or is there just something special about Cassie on her own?

Then there’s Ethan’s drunken written-in-the-stars rambling, which turns out to be “something I’ve heard from my father my whole life,” reveals Dekker. “So I knew this when [Cassie] arrived, but of course, didn’t necessarily believe it.” Now that he sees that his father wasn’t just making it up in an alcohol-fueled daze, it will actually start to fray their relationship. Adam will wonder about the depth of his dad’s feelings for his mother when, in fact, his dad also felt it was his fate to be with Cassie’s mom Amelia. Not to mention, “you can also ask yourself, ‘If he was supposed to be with Amelia, then why am I supposed to be with her daughter?’” posits Dekker.

The Secret Circle Preview: Shelley Hennig and Thomas Dekker Reignite Diana and Adam’s Spark

Complicating the witchy love triangle further is the introduction of Jake (Chris Zylka), who returns to Chance Harbor in this Thursday’s episode following his brother Nick’s death. Yes, Jake has a history with the circle, and it isn’t pretty. “He left Chance Harbor a couple years ago and left a lot of bad feelings in his wake,” teases executive producer Andrew Miller. “[Adam] has a very specific bone to pick with him about the way Jake treated Adam and his father Ethan.”

The CW series’ newest hunk will come into town and take a liking to Cassie because “she’s the only one who comes to know him for who he is now” and not the bad guy everybody else remembers, previews Miller. Not surprisingly, Jake’s interest in the coveted blonde “will cause a lot of ripples in our triangles within the circle.”

Hart of Dixie, Secret Circle Join Full-Season Club

But don’t assume that it’s Adam who will have the toughest time dealing with Jake’s return. “He’s the guy who broke Faye’s heart,” reveals Miller. “He left Faye in a very bad emotional place. Him coming back is probably hardest for her.”

“She’s had a few bad boyfriends,” adds Faye’s portrayer, Phoebe Tonkin. “She’s had her heart broken.” This particular one’s return is just the beginning of peeling back some of Faye’s layers. “We’re going to start seeing a lot of what happened to Faye when she was younger,” continues the actress. “A lot of her behavior’s driven because she’s had her heart broken, not just by guys, but by situations that have happened to her in her childhood.”

Comments (26)

• I WANT NICK BACK!!!!

Comment by O – October 20, 2011 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, he’s not coming back so you might as well get over it.

Comment by Ruby – October 20, 2011 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, the question is, did they just decide to recast the “bad boy” part, or is Nick’s death something that happened in the book. Chris Zylka is a hottie. So, I’m not exactly upset, but I’m just curious what the impetus was for killing off a “main” character so early in the run.

Comment by Nick – October 20, 2011 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s the former. Nick doesn’t die in the books, plus his character was slammed by critics a LOT.

Comment by Claire – October 20, 2011 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did they have to kill Nick though? I hated this.

Comment by cibele – October 20, 2011 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i want nick back too.:(

Comment by yukii – October 20, 2011 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t want to watch SC any more because I already hate the new guy and Melissa/Nick were the only couple I was interested in. I have no idea why they killed Nick but it was a stupid decision.

Comment by Lauren – October 20, 2011 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How do you hate something that hasn’t aired yet?

Comment by Brooke – October 20, 2011 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think using fate as a reason for a couple to be together is a cop out and lazy writing.

Comment by Candice – October 20, 2011 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guys.
    Nick is dead.
    His character in the television show was hardly developed. He had a mini arch and died as a good guy. But he is not coming back.
    I think it was a brilliant move to kill one of the main characters. It really shows an unsteady emotional balance for the show which keeps you on your feet while watching. I don’t think they killed him off lightly it was a high impact death that was just good tv.

Now while everyone does have a right to say that they miss him, others of us have a right to say that we are tired of it. If you stopped watching SC because Nick died then why are you still commenting on the threads for new information about future episodes.

You’re bringing down those of us who really like the show still, for what it is. :/

Comment by Nicole – October 20, 2011 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! In an interview Andrew Miller – or one of the other producers – stated they’d decided to kill Nick off almost from the very beginning. The book series, as I’m led to understand as I’ve never read them, is only three books which doesn’t make for lasting television. Edgy series have almost always killed off main characters – anybody remember Doyle from “Angel”? I’m excited to see where they’re taking both the kids and the adults.

Comment by Alison – October 20, 2011 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh man I loved Doyle.:)

Comment by Erica – October 20, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • From what I remember reading they killed off Doyle because of the actor who played him (may he rest in peace) can’t think of his name would show up to the set drunk or High alot of the times. But that was years ago. I could be wrong.

Comment by Ed – October 20, 2011 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • To be fair I don’t think we can compare the awesomeness that was Doyle to Nick since the acting and characterization is like a zillion times weaker in the latter. He’s still in my top ten favorite characters of all time. I’m still not over that death and really did stop watching. And no one ‘really’ knows why they killed off Doyle since every writer and producer gives a different story. Whedon still ‘claims’ he planned it from the beginning while others say it was the drinking (that was the problem; drugs came after the show apparently) while others say they thought Doyle was too similar to Angel which just makes me laugh. I personally believe they sold ‘one’ story to the network about redemption, Doyle, Cordelia and Angel and then changed it to what they wanted once on air (Angel as boss and redemption kind of became a back seat). Two completely different shows and I preferred the first. I’ll give this new character on SC a chance and I hope he is more like Nick in the books. ALSO, please stop with the fate. In the books they are soul mates but it is still very much about free will. Make it about their choices. Honestly. I hate fate. Soul mates does not equal fate. Yuck.

Comment by Autumn – October 20, 2011 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agree with you about the fate thing. I think they belong together but they are making it too much about destiny. It is done much better in the book where they don’t even know they are soulmates until the end and all the emotions are much more real. The fate thing is making it awkward. They should focus more on them being drawn together like in the book.

Comment by Ashley – November 12, 2011 08:34 PM PDT
    • Oh, how they call anything “brilliant” nowadays.

Comment by cibele – October 20, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lmaoooo!

Comment by Chantaah. – October 20, 2011 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is the fate coupling lazy writing. Plus that wasn’t somthing the producers made up, its from the book.

Comment by Chantaah. – October 20, 2011 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They presented soul mates very differently in the books. It didn’t feel as annoying. The characters were still making choices in their lives. They had free will. It was also believable they were in love and meant for each other. Here they seem kind of annoyed about it. I mean I still want Adam and Cassie together (plus anything, anything is better than Diana and Adam and I hope to NEVER see that uncomfortable whip cream scene ever again) but the execution is weak. Plus, I liked how in the books they were drawn together and they didn’t know why. And having Cassie like him before she knew who he was and before she knew she was a witch made them easier to root for.

Comment by Autumn – October 20, 2011 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, I would add that I do not think it is lazy writing (I hate when people say that about writers because it is rarely true) just a poor choice on their part.

Comment by Autumn – October 20, 2011 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes! Totally agree!

Comment by Ashley – November 12, 2011 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • btw love this website visit it daily, totally addicted to Ausiello and the team.

On a more related note to the post now that I’ve seen a pic of Nick’s replacement/brother it means there’s no age appropriate hotties on the show anymore for me personally [Thomas Dekker doesn't do it for me] so good luck secret circle gang I’m out. And to those to have a problem with Nick supporters live and let live people are allowed to have an opinion.

Comment by Gemma – October 20, 2011 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait. Faye isn’t a lesbian? I don’t read the books, so I wouldn’t know, but I definitely noticed it when she had scenes with Melissa.
    Also, still wishing Adam died instead. He’s probably the worst character out of the bunch.

Comment by ErixN – October 20, 2011 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Faye is going to be a lesbian / have an encounter with the same sex. I mean come on.
      It has to happen. It’s so glaringly obvious. Especially since it is so mainstream in todays television series to see a character struggle with sexuality or experiment.

From what I understand she was not in the books though. She was Dianna’s cousin?
      I ship Dianna/ Faye.

Comment by Ashley – October 20, 2011 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Eww that would be so gross if they had Faye as a lesbian or any of the characters for that matter.

Comment by SC Fan – October 20, 2011 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Faye isn’t a lesbian. Maybe a possibility that she’s bi, but I doubt the producers are going down that road. But who knows they might do it, they did it in 90210 with that black-haired girl, despite the fact that is was short-lived and she hasn’t had lesbian relationship since :/ But until then I imagine fanfiction shall be busy with this show.

Comment by Mimi – October 20, 2011 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post