Ratings: World Series Dips on An Otherwise Very Steady Wednesday

Get More: News, Ratings

On an otherwise very steady Wednesday, Fox’s coverage of Game 1 of the World Series was down 11 percent in the demo versus last year’s opening of the Fall Classic, scoring a 3.8 rating while drawing shy of 13 million total viewers.

But really, everywhere else there was virtually no significant week-to-week fluctuations (save for a 7 percent Revenge dip). But I’m here anyway, so here’s the hour-by-hour.

8 pm | Survivor placed behind World Series coverage with 11.1 million total viewers and a 3.3 rating, up a scooch week-to-week. ABC’s sitcombo of The Middle (9 mil/2.9) and Suburgatory (8.8 mil/3.1) was flat, as was NBC’s Up All Night (5.64 mil/2.1).

9 pm | Modern Family was the night’s highest-rated program, scoring a 5.6 while drawing 12.85 million viewers; it and its lead-out Happy Endings (6.9 mil/3.0) were down a hair. Criminal Minds (13.1. mil/3.9) was Wednesday’s most-watched program, based on prelim numbers. Harry’s Law (8.2 mil/1.2) drew a few extra eyeballs, while Top Model (1.9 mil/0.8) was flat.

10 pm | CSI this week squeaked out a demo win while dominating in total audience with a 2.6 and 10.64 million viewers. Revenge placed second with 7.94 mil and a 2.5, down 7 percent in the demo. Law & Order: SVU held steady at 7.6 mil/2.1.

What were you watching this Wednesday?

Tags: ,

Comments (24)

• What about Psych? Psych was fabulously hilarious last night.

Comment by Lisa – October 20, 2011 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cable ratings come in much, much later, sometimes the second day after.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 20, 2011 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ITA! I was howling at some parts. Definitely one of their funniest episodes in awhile. The four wrecks swaggering into the police dept. like the Sons of Katie Elder was hilarious. Lassie was particularly absurd in the best possible way. Damn, I love this show!

Comment by Templar – October 20, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People who watch CBS procedurals should be used for medical testing.

Comment by Jeff – October 20, 2011 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guess they need a big lab then, because there’s alot of them.

Comment by art – October 20, 2011 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ha! True enough. I love CBS procedurals. Better than all that stuff from Shonda Rhimes (no offense, Grey’s Anatomy was good – five years ago).

Comment by Julia – October 20, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol, nice ;)
      Thing is, some are really good (NCIS, CM) but all the bastardized spin-offs can go diaf (extraneous CSI’s included).
      I actually tried to watch Unforgettable–damn it was so bland and just BASIC. Nothing creative or interesting about it, yet it pulls in 12 mil viewers; WTF?? Judging all those people…

Comment by Alicia – October 20, 2011 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, it was! Psych was even more awesome than usual last night! So that’s what I was watching.

Comment by Andrea – October 20, 2011 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! Lassie waking up to the coroner spooning him; Henry waking up in a hotel room without his pants and white powder all over his face; drugged Gus was way funny. I was intermittently chuckling while I was getting ready for bed. Highlarious! Def went to bed on a great note.

Comment by Lisa – October 20, 2011 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CSI was profoundly great! Best episode of the season. Ted Danson’s new character has been kind of humorous the past few episodes, but this really shows how serious he can be. CSI is a lot better post-Fishburne.

Comment by Chris – October 20, 2011 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think last night’s episode was the funniest Psych I have watched. I live in the East Coast and watched it again @ 1am for lack of something better to watch and I still laughed so hard.

Comment by Marie – October 20, 2011 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Modern Family and Happy Endings were especially funny last night. Glad to see Happy Endings doing relatively well!

Comment by Alex – October 20, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad Revenge is holding up with a three week steady ratings, I really love this show, it gets better each week. Also happy for Happy Endings success but I think it kinda brings Revenge ratings down, I think if Revenge was after Modern Family instead of HE it could get 9 or 10 million each other.

Comment by fernando – October 20, 2011 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @ fernando:

Happy Endings has a similar comic appeal as Modern Family. Though HE is less family friendly, the non-family-driven viewers are much more likely to tune into a fellow comedy, as proven by their taste in MF. But Modern Family and Revenge have little to nothing in common. So I think the same people who change the channel after Happy Endings would change the channel after Modern Family.

Comment by anon anon – October 20, 2011 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like the transition from the sharp comedy of Happy Endings to the melodrama-suspense of Revenge. And I’m so glad Revenge isn’t another law/procedural show.

Comment by Davey – October 20, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched the World Series, Go Rangers!

Comment by peggy – October 20, 2011 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched (in this order) PSYCH -hilarious!, American HS, Luther – fantastic conclusion! And I will have to catch up on Revenge on VOD! My fav shows on @10pm! It all works out! Lol

Comment by s. – October 20, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AND oh yea Luther (last two episodes) had the most creepy serial/role playing killers I’ve seen since Dexter’s Trinity killer!

Comment by s. – October 20, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the picture of Napoli! Go Rangers.

Comment by ranger – October 20, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • all that matters now is REVENGE!!! Keep those ratings up!!!!!

Comment by lisa – October 20, 2011 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revenge is so good! Hope they don’t start slipping in the ratings.

Comment by Kiki – October 20, 2011 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s rack up another ‘anti Cardinals’ site. LOL

GO CARDS!

Comment by Michael – October 21, 2011 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Fox chokes on the World Series. While you’re at it, Fox, expand your Prime Time to 11:00 so you can keep shows around like ‘Lie to Me’ and ‘Fringe’ (no need for constant threat of cancellation).

Comment by Bob – October 21, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post