Exclusive

Exclusive: Community Staging Christmas-Themed Musical Episode!

Community is once again celebrating the holidays in epic fashion.

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that NBC’s quirky comedy — which last year defied convention by doing a Christmas-themed stop-motion animated installment — will deliver Yuletide cheer this season via a musical episode.

According to an insider, the episode finds the study group being forced to fill in for Greendale’s glee club during the always-busy holiday season.

Community Scoop: 3rd Rock‘s French Stewart Cast as… French Stewart?!

But don’t expect to hear Joel McHale crooning “Jingle Bells” or Yvette Nicole Brown belting out “Deck the Halls.” We can reveal that the handful of songs performed during Community‘s Christmas special will be 100 percent original. “Pop, pop!,” indeed.

Of course, this isn’t the first time the series’ Powers That Be have written their own songs. Community kicked off its third season with a brief (and wholly original) musical number, and last season’s Christmas spectacular ended on an original ditty as well.

Exclusive: Community Casts Deadwood Actor as Pierce’s Dad

As TVLine first reported, Saturday Night Live‘s Taran Killam will be channeling his inner Mr. Schue in the Christmas ep, playing the college’s kooky choir director.

Are you looking forward to hearing the gang carol through the halls of GCC? Hit the comments! And for non-stop Community scoop, follow me on Twitter @MegMasters.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Rob says:

Sounds great but the most important thing is people actually need to watch it. The recent ratings have been scary for us fans of the series. It’s the best comedy on TV right now.

• Chris says:

I don’t think we need to worry about Community’s ratings. They were renewed for Season 3 mid-January last year. If this were a show like “Chuck” it’d be a different story.

• SC says:

I’m pretty sure that “Community” was actually renewed in March of last year. That aside, there’s plenty to worry about when it comes to the show’s ratings. While NBC struggles as a network overall, “Community” is still getting crushed by its competition — “The Big Bang Theory” usually ends up with close to 14.5 million viewers and a key demo number in the high 4.0 range, whereas “Community” rarely gets over four million viewers and pretty regularly scores 1.8 in the 18-49 demographic.

And if you want to put the numbers in perspective with other NBC shows: “Whitney” does better than “Community” in both total viewers and key demo numbers. Which means it’s not like you can shrug aside the show’s numbers based on its network home.

So there’s plenty to worry about. And it’s a shame, because “Community” is a fantastic, fantastic show.

• Lacey says:

I am a big fan of Community and it’s the only NBC show I watch. Whitney getting higher ratings than this wonderful show just doesn’t seem right.

• Raksha says:

I think the only reason Whitney has higher ratings is because it is still new. Community had nearly 5 million viewers in the first half of the first season. I am a hundred percent sure that ny January, Whitney’s ratings would go down…a lot. And I would like to live in the Community bubble…believing that this show will never get cancelled!!

Watch this show, people!!

2. Mark says:

Last week’s episode was good but this is by no means the best comedy on TV. The other episodes this season have been so flat. Parks and Recreation, Happy Endings, and Modern Family bring much more consistent laughs.

3. Lauren says:

I would have to agree that last episode was the best so far. I was very disappointed with the first couple. Hopefully, Community found it’s voice again -because when it’s good -it is the best comedy on television. I like Modern Family -but I think it is overrated as the best comedy. A lot of sight gags are directed by camera work to enhance the comedy. It is far harder to deliver the laughs through situational comedy like Community. That’s why I have to give props to the show -over the mockumentaries.

4. LC says:

Community is genius. Even at its worst, it’s still watch-able and funny and better than most comedies on TV right now.

This sounds like a brilliant episode and I like how they’re calling back to the episode last season where they remembered how they had to fill in for the Glee club because they all died. Brilliant. Cannot wait.

5. remmez says:

Community sucks. It really really does. It is just stupid – weak stories all over. It doesn’t blow as much as the utterly horrible parks and recs [in europe that will never get an audiance.. It's just to.. bleegh]

Community can’t even stand in the shadow of Modern Family, This seasons How i met your mother and BBT. It is just lame and stupid. And don’t you all just hate hasbeen Chevy Chase.. Wake up kids.. it’s 2011

Get yo Caddy Check

• Anders says:

Wow, that was a depressing post. Why don’t you just go back and watch has-been How I Met Your Mother and BBT and stop reading articles about shows you don’t like?

I don’t read an article about Modern Family just so I can write a post about how much I hate it.

And this Community episode sound awesome…

• Laura says:

it’s the fact that community is quirky and unpredictable that makes it awesome, as well as parks and rec, i love himym and tbbt but it can be really repetitive obvious and formulaic and there aren’t many stand out episodes

• Amy says:

well why are you here then? go back to watching HIMYM and TBBT..leave our show alone

• remmez says:

Excuse me? Talking about depressing posting.
        I did not know this was the al hail and pray section of TV-Line. Please people. If you can’t stand an other opinions than the uplifting and praising ones.. stay out of the comment sections. People are allowed to spill their opinion good OR bad. So don’t go all fanboy/girl on me. It only shows that the kitchen is to hot. ;-)

• remmez says:

..’all hail and praise section’…

• steph says:

and i am also imparting my opinion
            i love community and parks and rec and I am from europe, so i don’t get that specific generalisation
            *pop pop*

• Madh says:

The point simply is, why bother clicking on the link that clearly mentions its Community related news, just so that you can comment on how much you dont like it? Dont like, dont read, my friend. But atleast dont spoil the comments section for all the like minded people who love this show, and reply to each other’s comments to discuss how awesome this show is. A Community hater in Community related news is as welcomed as the feeling of being hungover after a day of drinking.

• John says:

I think that YOU “suck” and are “just stupid”. Doesn’t mean I have to proclaim it as fact. Notice the lack of the usage of the phrase “I think that Community is…”, which you haven’t included and makes your argument all the more laughable.

Plus I’m “European” (French) and I love Community and Parks and Rec. Critics and fans both agree that they’re better than the CBS comedies, so I find your comment highly unusual. Plus the fact that you’re willing to generalize the viewing tastes of the whole European continent shows how you’re just grasping at straws to give your point.

• Dryden says:

I can stand other opinions, I just think yours is stupid and shows a lack of taste.

• Amanda says:

It’s not about you having your opinion. You just don’t need to express it here. If I don’t like a show, I just don’t read the articles about it. I don’t intentionally try to bring others down with my negative views.

• doktahhoo says:

well here’s a perfect example of someone who’s not streets ahead.

• stitchcastle says:

funny because recent HIMYM and BBT are both shows that are from the narrative perspective of douchebags. Plus Modern Family is the new beige, the only reason it’s so widely loved is because it panders to everybody as opposed to being genuinely intellectually rewarding. Meanwhile you have shows like Community and Parks and Recreation where you’re required to think in order to get the laughs. Shows which demographic you are.

• Mike says:

What demographic am I?

I love Community, Parks and Rec, HIMYM, BBT, Modern Family, Happy Endings, Always Sunny, Wilfred, Curb Your Enthusiasm and appreciate them all for their various types of humor. You going to try and pinpoint my demographic?

I’ve loved Friends, Seinfeld, Cheers, Frasier, Arrested Development, Scrubs etc…and appreciated them for their various types of humor as well.

I can’t stand 2.5 Men.

People, don’t be fooled by all of the commenters. It IS possible to love more than one type of sitcom! You’re not going crazy!

That all being said (like my Curb/Seinfeld reference?), Community is a pretty awesome show that is daring to take chances that might alienate some audiences. I respect them for it and enjoy it even more because of it. I just hope NBC struggles long enough that they have to keep it on the air!

• anon anon says:

Cheers, Mike. Of course it’s easy to get defensive when the shows certain subsections particularly enjoy aren’t doing as well as one would hope. Community can be classified as a cult comedy, similar to Arrested Development. And I also sincerely hope that it doesn’t reach the same fate.

But at the same time, there’s no reason for something as innocuous as sitcom taste to be so divisive, especially when it’s very possible to enjoy vastly different ones. And thanks to Hulu and DVR, there’s no reason to even pit the ones in the same time slot against each other!

It should/could be win-win for everyone.

• heather says:

Ladies and gentlemen, he thinks Big Bang Theory and Modern Family are better….LMAO. I mean I really did chuckle at that. Silly boy.

• FEv says:

You seem like a very depressed person. Your spelling and grammar also needs improvement. Good luck with those challenges!!! In the meantime I will be enjoying the brilliantly written, and acted Community. More Chevy please!!!

6. Eliza says:

Community, I love you :)

7. Tammy says:

I LOVE THIS SHOW SO FRICKIN MUCH!! it’s so disappointing that not many people watch it..

8. rut says:

community is the most awesome tv-show ever,
    as my friend says, “there is no need in other shows now”, it’s witty, it’s smart, it’s unpredictable. everyone is so talented and so cool there.
    those who don’t understand it probably need to watch it in original, and if they already do, they probably need to learn more about cultural references and stuff like that.
    after a full community musical episode glee is gonna suck.

9. Tom says:

I really hope they get Troy (Danny Glover OR.. Childish Gambino, as he is known in some music circles) to do one of his songs. It would help with his exposure.. plus, with his first official album out in November, it would be good publicity for both the show and for his music..

10. Louie says:

Happy Endings is the best sitcom comedy on network television currently. Plus all the chick on it are hot! Haha. Community is a close second tho.

11. alec says:

6 seasons and a movie!

12. Ashley says:

Sounds like it’s going to be a classic from a wonderful comedy that’s already given us so many classics…

13. Deesha says:

omg Community going Glee !! i gotta see this!! This season has been wonderful this year. It is the only comedy that i can watch a hundred times over and find myself laughing even harder each time! :)

14. Mal says:

I hope they then sell the Christmas music on iTunes! They had a season 1 soundtrack that I love and listen to weekly, but nothing from season 2 despite the Christmas episode music! :(

15. Annabelle says:

Why aren’t more people watching “Community” it’s one of the most under-rated shows ever!!! It needs millions for viewers to see what their missing…once this year is over they can start showing in syndication and so many more people will be exposed to it :)

WATCH COMMUNITY – PASS IT ON!!!

• Amy says:

i ask everybody and i mean everybody, my friends and people on the internet to watch Community because i can’t handle it’s cancellation..i love it so much

16. Clinton says:

Go Human Beings! FOR GREENDALE!

17. Raksha says:

I have eeen super worried about Community too. But i havent lost all faith in humanity yet…so I am hoping that my belief is affirmed, and Community is picked up for a fourth season. And yeah, it is, atleast for me, THE BEST SHOW ON TELEVISION.

18. Dexter says:

If this show does not get 6 seasons and a movie…

Though yeah, even with that reference and all… Damnit, at least 4 years. I’d love to have 4 years of Community at least. I’ll be very sad otherwise… :<

19. danny says:

Oh, this show. Its going to make me an addict.

20. Renee says:

YES!!!!! More original music?!!! I think I died and felt alive simultaneously at the news!! COMMUNITY FTW!!

21. Timm says:

Awesome news! I love it when Community goes all music-y!!

22. Esha says:

Dan Harmon’s a genius. And Community is awesome. And musical Community is going to kill it. This was me stating the obvious!!

23. Eric von Ahlefeldt says:

If Community doesn’t get at least 4 seasons, or gets axed without some closure, I will literally cry my eyes out for weeks. It will seriously be one of the most unjust acts in human history. If I had the money to fly over to the states and contribute to the ratings, I would. THIS SHOW NEEDS SOME PROMOTION PEOPLE!!! SPREAD IT!!!

24. eric garder says:

Community sucks, really badly! The best comedy on TV is MODERN FAMILY. Get that straight. It’s the best since Friends. Community doesn’t get enough ratings because it airs with Big Bang Theory. Even if Community were good (which I doubt), NBC will spoil everything by airing it at the wrong time. That’s what happened with Parks and Rec. It’s by far NBC’s best comedy, but not so great because of NBC. It needs to be on ABC or CBS, like Modern Family.
    Modern Family is going to win every award this year once again (like last year, and the year before) because it is funny. It grabs the EMMYS, SAGS, Writers Guild, Directors Guild, Critics Choice, everything!

• Raksha says:

I think Community is AWESOME. And please, as some of the people pointed out, say ‘I THINK’ before stating an opinion, since what you are saying is not a FACT, just what you think. Also, try not to bash a show just because it is on a certain network or because it didnt win awards. I like to believe the whole process of awards shows is a farce. And I also think that Community is too, way too smart and good for petty awards. And I love Modern Family too, but I dont think it is anywhere as good as Community. But Community’s meta humor can only be understood by smart, intelligent people, who unfortunately make for a niche audience, so I dont blame you or other Community haters for not liking it.

• Chuck says:

I think Community is a bit of a mess, and always has been.
        First, the cast is too large. Having to write something for each member of that bloated cast to do has to be a big pain in the writer’s ass. Why would you cast so many people in an environment where many different people can come and go?
        The show runner hogtied himself at the beginning.
        Then we have the quality of some of the actors. The black lady seems like she’s never had an acting lesson in her life, and Chevy… I’ve seen him act well before, but in this series, it’s like he doesn’t give a rat’s behind, and neither do the writers who write for him. He’s always this dangling plot point that they close up with some spent gum almost every episode.
        And finally, the relationships of the characters are shallow at best. Who really cares what happens to anyone or anything aside from Annie’s boobs? And Annie’s boobs have been missing for quite a few episodes, and that’s my bet on why the ratings are sagging. If that can’t fix any of the other problems, they’d better get Annies Boobs, and Britta’s for that matter, front and center, or they won’t be here next year.
        Also, they should keep Annie in pants. It’s not distracting to have Annie’s Boobs hanging over Annies Bow Legs.

PS “the meta-humor” can only be understood by smart intelligent people”??
        What you call “meta,” I call “hack writing.” Referencing old tv shows and trying to be clever to cover for the fact that your ideas are hack, instead of developing character relationships, MIGHT be why the show is tanking. Going to the musical format is the new “jumping the shark.” It’s easy, and it’s hack as hell. You get points for being clever than developing character relationships, which Community writers are positively allergic to.

Again, Community better milk Annie’s Boobs for all they’re worth, or they’ll bear the inevitable consequences.

• Rose says:

I disagree with everything you just said and the way you said it.
          I think, no KNOW, your points are all complete rubbish made with bitter hatred and they’re just a nasty, unwanted opinion.

Also, I would like to support my argument logically by saying that critics (yeah that’s people who know what they’re talking about) everywhere say the exact opposite to what you said.

Your “strongest” point is what makes Community so popular! TBBT is funny but the characters never change which makes it much easier to watch. Community is different in that if you watch it you can connect to the characters and see their growth, they have sooo many episodes about character growth and development that you can’t have seen very many episodes at all to have not found one easily labelled “character episode”.

And Yvette is one of the nicest actors I’ve seen in interviews and behind the scenes and insulting her makes you look so so so bad. She is an amazing actress and well deserving of her role and would never write something so horrible about someone else. It sounded slightly racist as well, even if you weren’t intending it too.

Chevy Chase’s character did get super annoying but it was on purpose. It was a plot arc which involved him getting kicked out and eventually finding his way back in. It then led onto to an episode explaining a lot of his personality and why he is who he is and he’s been much more understandable lately. He’s still got a lot of his characteristics but he’s a better person and much more understandable.

And I care about the characters so “who cares?” I do. And so do heaps of other people.

Also “Annie’s Boobs” was only in a few episodes… And I can’t understand whether you’re insulting or complimenting Britta… Either way I think she’s cool. If you’re calling her a cheap gimmick then I really don’t respect you at all.

As for shallow relationships… You obviously don’t get the characters or the show… at all. And everyone making the show pointed out early on that they weren’t going to make relationships as in a normal sitcom where X happens then Y happens then character A looks at character B etc. They wanted them to be real, messed up people who find each other in different ways to the stereotypical sitcom and aren’t perfect. It isn’t always blatant but if you look very carefully everyone character has deep relationships with the other characters.

I don’t know if you saw the most recent documentary episode but at the end after the Dean had gone insane and ruined everything he went back to the study group for forgiveness and they did forgive him, admitting that they’ve all acted in ways they’ve regretted, and bringing together the group to celebrate the strength in their friendship. Also the latest episode at the end. After the fake jolliness they’d been hiding behind got destroyed in the pageant Abed went home to spend Christmas alone and with the overall feeling of disappointment. The group came singing carols and talked about how the bad times also bring the good in life and that these are what ultimately make them understand each other better and again to show the strength and family feeling of the group. I don’t know how more obvious I could make it but the fact that it makes me feel warm inside in these scenes and I saw from the first clip that these characters cared about each other has to say something.

I DID like Modern Family and had thought it was quite good but I love Community more now and you just made me want to hate the show in spitefulness of the fan purposely trolling on an article for a show they don’t like just to tell them that “Modern Family” is better when the fans are trying to save the show. Nice move. Now I don’t like Modern Family and luckily for you I don’t want to upset or anger other perfectly nice and justified fans by trolling on one of their articles to get back at you.

I would’ve been much more polite or probably said “It’s fine for you to think that,” if you hadn’t been completely rude and pointlessly unaccepting of other views.

And don’t say I’m not accepting because if you’d said something like, “I don’t like this show because I think… but understand that other people love this show and that is perfectly fine for them to think that.” I would’ve shrugged and moved on but going into tiny fine details about everything you hate like you’re an expert and you’re perfectly right is too annoying.

Also… I went onto this article because I like the show, why are you on it? Did you seriously just come to complain? I don’t like two and a half men but I have never gone onto an article for the fans at all, let alone made a horrible comment on it. I don’t think it’s right and it brings down everyone else who enjoys the show. And gets you raged at.

25. GUS says:

Well, Community got better ratings because it was a on a different timeslot, Nbc´s decision to put it in competition with tbbt was pretty ill-fated. The thing is that any show that NBC puts against tbbt will come out losing, the sad thing is that it is Community that is taking the blows. Anyway I don´t think they are cancelling it because given the competition it has, at least it has stable ratings and a fateful fan-base, so I think Community has a very good chance of getting an early renewal. If they change it to another show they will risk betraying a very loyal and consistent fanbase and not getting even the somewhat mediocre but stable ratings they have now.

26. Chet says:

Community definitely is one of the most under-rated shows out there. Its witty and entertaining. Every few episodes they totally deviate from the norm and its just hilarious and unpredictable. Bring me a show that can make an entire 2 epic episodes over a paintball fight or one in stop motion. HIMYM and BBT get repetitive after a while. Go watch and support a great show!