Revenge's Gabriel Mann Teases an 'Explosive' Takedown: 'It Really Ups the Ante!'

We’ve adored Emily VanCamp since she went by Amy Abbott in the tiny town of Everwood. But Revenge‘s Gabriel Mann only recently popped up on our radar in a big way (though he has been in everything from The Bourne Identity films to Mad Men).

What’s the deal with Mann’s endearing yet slimy Nolan? Can we really trust him? We spoke with the Revenge scene-stealer about all of that and more. Come conversation’s end, we were more excited than ever for the addictive ABC series’ all-new installment (airing Wednesday at 10/9c).

TVLINE | What’s next for the deliciously scheming Nolan?
Episode 5 is totally explosive! It really ups the ante to a completely different level. It’s no longer Emily locking people in storage containers and taking their money; it’s now a much more dangerous place. We’ll also see the return of [adulterous socialite] Lydia Davis, who is played by the amazing Amber Valletta. And Nolan, who is usually peeking in from the sidelines, gets stuck right in the middle of all of it.

Revenge Scoop: Emily’s Worst Nightmare Realized

TVLINE | So, more Nolan — that’s a good thing!
Yes, more Nolan. Episode 7 will then involve the start of Nolan’s own take-down — and that’s as much as I can say about that. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Can we trust Nolan? As a fan of the character, I want to say yes, but he’s still a bit of a question mark.
You can trust that he will do something trustworthy, and then follow that up with something untrustworthy. [Laughs] The writers only give us half an inch — we’re as hungry for any information as you guys are. I’m just trying to leave enough room in his portrayal that it could go in any number of directions, and I’m happy to go there. Likely though, we’ll go in all directions with it.

TVLINE | Are we going to learn more about Nolan’s motivations for pushing Jack and Emily together? It seems counterproductive, given his desire to earn Emily’s trust….
This is what happens when you have too much money — he gets bored and just wants to stir the pot. There are definitely deeper motivations for him because there is a genuine backstory with Nolan and Amanda’s father, David (played by James Tupper). Nolan is this weird dichotomy; he’s a study in ambiguity, which is why he’s a brilliant character to get to play. He has all this money and power and yet he’s very insecure and weak — that’s his fatal flaw. He’ll do anything to have a connection with other people, and yet he doesn’t need it because he’s in a glass tower already. That said, he’s fascinated with Emily because she’s the person who understands him most. No one else wants to give him the time of day and her mind works like his. Nolan is seeing how far he can push before she chokes him out again. Coming up there’s definitely going to be something deserving of a choking out, to say the least. I had to pick my jaw up off the table when they told me.

Revenge‘s Nick Wechsler Previews the Show’s Hot Triangle and Talks Life Post-Roswell

TVLINE | Were you at all aware of the scope of Nolan’s involvement in the world of Revenge when you took the role? He seemed much more surface-level in the pilot.
I had no idea. All I knew was that I had this audition for a great series…and I wanted to take a risk and go full-throttle. All that [the producers] had said in the casting byline for the character was that Nolan “dresses for sh–t,” so I took that in the opposite direction: I wore a red plastic windbreaker, a dirty shirt and shoes and ugly flannel pants hanging off my butt…. And then after I got the part, I went in for my first wardrobe fitting and there were all these fancy suits. They then told me I got the role in spite of what I wore to the audition. [Laughs] Initially, my take on Nolan was different, but we’ve melded those two worlds into one now.

TVLINE | Well, congratulations on Revenge‘s much-deserved success — and the full-season pickup!
We’re all so happy, just here supporting each other. It’s like the bottomless cup of coffee — the gift that keeps on giving.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Previews, Spoilers

1. Sarah I says:

Definitely my favourite new show.
    Judging by this interview there is some exciting times coming up.
    Can’t wait!!

2. Snapy says:

There’s something nerdy-cute about Nolan.

3. Cyn says:

I love Nolan. He’s my character.

4. torontogirl98 says:

I love Nolan he is my favorite character and is a total mystery, I am starting to love this series more and more

5. Margit says:

I love this show so freaking much. Every time an episode ends, I can’t wait until the next. Love Nolan and Emily, wish they would team up for super revenge plots but it seems like Emily has it all under control.

6. lee says:

SPOILER ALERT: i had already suspected it from last week’s episode, but tyler, daniels friend from college, is gay. hes listed as a lgbt tv character on glaad’s site. im thinking he has a crush on daniel which is why hes getting in between him and emily?

• Kathy says:

I was thinking the same thing when I was watching it last week that Tyler’s hot for Daniel. Love Nolan- especially how he seems scared of Emily a bit but he also like to push her buttons- it’s like playing with fire….

7. caro brazil says:

look, i really really love Nolan, gabriel mann too =)…but i think in season finale…or season two…emily will find that he is the responsible for everything what hapenned to her father, look, he is rich because the trust that her father had in him, but i think that trust doesn´t exist, he made it playing with all the others that emily think is the enemys. sorry for the english, brazilian girl, and i don´t wanna this could happenned, but if the show is about Revenge, the revenge need to keep going….and his carather is the best player enemy for emily, soooo habilities

• shaun says:

That’s the most ridiculous theory ever!!He’d expose her if he wasn’t on her side.He should be much older than her though,since her father financed him(Even as a genius he’d have to be at least 5-10 years older than her)

• brutony says:

Shes half Nigerian, half Brit, in case youre wondering about Ashley. And you need Nolan, cause hes the assistant who helped The Count so much, like Nolans doing for Emily-a duh-hasnt anyone seen the movie or read the book?

8. Trace says:

I like the Nolan character. He kinda gels the whole community together in his slimy rich vindictive way. Revenge is getting oh so good.

9. fernando says:

I am liking that now many other people are going to get revenge on each other because now the show will be about different things and not just on Emily taking down people which would not last forever so I like how the show is going, I love this show, it’s my favorite.

10. lacey says:

I like Nolan and think he’s a great supporting character. I would love to see him team up with Emily on a few of the revenge schemes, b/c they make a good team.

11. Abby says:

I think Tyler is the one who shot Daniel.

12. Lupe says:

Thanks for the interview. Really like Nolan’s character. Looks like tonight’s episode is going to be really good. Can’t wait!

13. mika says:

Gabriel Mann plays sleazy but radiates warmth himself.

14. Magically Suspicious says:

He’s on my list of future husbands. Right next to Dr. Spencer Reid. I have a thing for lanky nerdy boys.

Love Love Love this show. It’s the only show that I religiously record so I can skim commercials, but I have to force myself to wait even 20 minutes to start watching. All my other favorites get watched….sometimes after a few hours, sometimes in a few days, sometimes I watch a saved season of something on one rainy weekend. But I can’t wait half an hour to watch Revenge.

15. Pamela says:

I’m really liking the character of Nolan too. Looking forward to learning his back story.

Revenge is by far my favorite new show. A well written soap with a great story and all kinds of secrets and mysteries is a wonderful, rare thing. :-)