Exclusive: Justified Adds Carla Gugino as a Blast from Raylan's Past

Things just got even hotter in Harlan County.

Carla Gugino, whose resume includes the big screen’s Sin City and Watchmen and TV’s Entourage and Californication, is saddling up for a recurring run on FX’s Justified, TVLine has learned exclusively.

In Season 3 of the acclaimed drama, Gugino will play Karen Goodall, a Washington, D.C.-based assistant director of the U.S. Marshals Service who used to work with Raylan back in Miami — and as such shares a history with our favorite trigger-happy lawman.

Matt’s Inside Line: Who’s Behind Bars When Justified Season 3 Starts?

Goodall, who is twice-divorced and described as “tough, smart and funny,” comes to Kentucky to help safeguard hidden witnesses who have become vulnerable after the murder of a U.S. Marshal.

Gugino’s TV credits also include the short-lived Karen Sisco – which like Justified was based on an Elmore Leonard character – Spin City and Chicago Hope.

Emmys 2011: What Justified‘s Margo Martindale and Other Winners Said Backstage

Gugino’s casting comes on the heels of Boomtown alumni Neal McDonough and Mykelti Williamson boarding Justified as new villains. The FX drama will kick off its third season in early 2012, likely in February or March.

Comments (47)

• I love Carla Gugino, but she better not come between Winona and my Raylan. Then again, maybe some jealously would do Winona a little good…

Comment by Marsha – October 18, 2011 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It just might. LOL. At any rate, it will make it interesting.

Comment by jbkr73 – October 18, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you, I like Raylan and Winona together (specially if they’re having a baby) but maybe some competition from a smart woman might make Winona appreciate Raylan and his job better.
      Anyway, I’m really looking forward to this new season.

Comment by MJ – October 18, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Please kill Winona! Let the baby live, but please kill that manipulative, conniving b-girl from hades!

Comment by Ann Connor – December 21, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NOOOO I hate Winona.

Comment by OLYGINO – October 18, 2011 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How could you forget her role in Troop Beverly Hills?! Maybe one of the best movies ever :o)

Comment by Catherine – October 18, 2011 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yea can’t forget about that award winning Troop Beverly Hills! 

Comment by Sunny – October 18, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve loved her since she appeared in the Bon Jovi video for “Always” way back in ’94, and for The Son-in-Law with Pauley Shore.

Comment by Templar – October 18, 2011 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow….That is her from Son In Law!!! Loved her in Entourage. Never would’ve thought that she was “Rebecca From Sunny Brook Farm” though. (what Crotch-Crap-Crawl called her!! Remember Dad at the dinner table?? HaHa)

Good Actress added to GREAT show…..Can’t Wait!!

Comment by Texan – October 19, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since these are both Elmore Leonard properties, any chance her character is named Karen Sisco??

Comment by Malcolm Johnson – October 18, 2011 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Close! I just added her name to the story — Karen GOODALL.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 18, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG, I love that idea :)

Comment by Regi – October 18, 2011 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh gosh, that was my first thought when I saw the headline. Now I wonder, why ISN’T she playing Karen Sisco? It would have been a good in-joke for those of us who know Elmore Leonard stories.

Comment by Amber – October 18, 2011 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • In the article it’s says her character has been married twice. So in a way it wink to Carla Gugino playing the role in the short-lived ABC series Karen Sisco.

Comment by George – October 19, 2011 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t she just do a movie with Timothy…they had nice chemistry and I like the idea of competition for Winona…that Raylan may be of interest to a smart woman and Winona’s need to see him turn over his badge may change.

Comment by ripetebook – October 18, 2011 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, they did Elektra Luxx together, and yes, they had very nice chemistry in that movie.

Comment by Roxie – October 18, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • During the wait for season two, I listened to all the Elmore Leonard Raylan stories on audiobook. I’m pretty sure Karen Sisco even worked out of the same office as Raylan in the books. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is Sisco with her name partially filed off, perhaps to preserve that character’s licensing opportunities.

Comment by Beau – October 18, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So do they have history or HISTORY?? That’s my question.

Comment by Michele – October 18, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yuck

Comment by Lisa – October 18, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Outstanding! I’ve been a Gugino ‘shipper since Spin City. And Raylan & Winona as a couple aren’t really working for me, so a potential rival is good news!

Comment by Myke25 – October 18, 2011 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope she does come between Raylan and Winnona. I can’t stand her.

Comment by Ashley – October 18, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously, Winona is fine as a character but I do not like her with Raylan. I can’t wait for next season to start!

Comment by Holeigh – October 18, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I only see myself with Raylan :)

Comment by Lisa – October 18, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL! I hear ya. :)

Comment by Teresa – October 18, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Carla Gugino is one of the most underrated actresses on the planet. She is talented,smart, hot, funny, and has a wonderful screen presence. Also, Carla , is one of the few well-known actors that can actually act on the NY stage . I can’t wait to see her sure-to – be wonderful contribution to my favorite drama , Justified ( hopefully she will get the award recognition she deserves ) .

P.S. I also loved her in the Karen Sisco tv series.

Comment by Gugino Fan – October 18, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This friggin shows still on? WTF?

Comment by brutony – October 18, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @brutony – Where have *you* been? Not only has it already had two seasons, but Margo Martindale just won an Emmy for season two. Try to keep up, dear. ;-)

Comment by Simon Jester – October 18, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • + reviews of 2nd season are very positive and ratings are solid for FX standards.

Comment by msmaka – October 18, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see Carla’s character come between Raylan and Winona. They just don’t have that special chemistry they should have. Plus, Winona has become quite the whinner! With any luck “Karen” will put a kink in their relationship……

Comment by Kat – October 18, 2011 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What show are you watching? Raylan and Winona have chemistry that is smoking hot. However, a little jealousy is not necessarily a bad thing.

Comment by jbkr73 – October 18, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, they are smoking hot together. Plus he loves her. She’s the only one he wanted around him in The Reckoning after Helen was shot, and check out how he acts in S2 finale when she says she can’t promise she’ll be there when he gets back from Harlan. I hope they don’t mess that up. I love them together and want them to have a baby.

Comment by Ray-Ray's girl – October 20, 2011 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSSSSSS! I’ve been posting this casting suggestion for two years on every message board I could find. Of course, I wanted Gugino to cameo as Karen Sisco — given that both she and Raylan were marshalls in Miami, it would have been super-easy to justify — but this is the next best thing.

Comment by Simon Jester – October 18, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad Rebecca Creskoff had another show, her three episode run last year was too short. She was fantastic and had amazing chemistry with Timothy Olyphant last season. Love Carla Gugino, anxiously waiting for the new season. With the exception of religious weirdo Neal McDonough, the season is getting great new faces.

Comment by bhm1304 – October 18, 2011 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another great addition. I can’t wait to see what Goodall will reveal from Raylans past! Hopefully the season starts in January, March is to far away! Haha.

Comment by s. – October 18, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Loved them together in Elektra Luxx. I love Raylan/Winona, but some drama is always nice.

Comment by J – October 18, 2011 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the addition to the cast – she’s always fun to watch.

Comment by Dijea – October 18, 2011 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love her. That is all.

Comment by Tracy – October 18, 2011 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree I absolutely love Raylan and Winona but this could be really good drama for them (if in fact she was a former lover of Raylan’s). Cause for all we know Karen and Raylan may completely loathe one another.

Any spoilers about the premier any time soon Matt? Specifically Raylan and Winona.

Comment by Dee – October 18, 2011 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is no way this isn’t REALLY Karen Sisco, no matter what name they give her!

Comment by W – October 18, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is such a teaser! I love this show. It’s the best TV show I’ve seen in a very, very long time. Can’t wait for season 3. I love Winona with Raylan so this is going to be very interesting!

Comment by Barb – October 18, 2011 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it possible she really will be playing Karen Sisco but with a new married last name? I can’t believe they would be having Carla play a totally different character with the same first name. The thought makes my head explode.

Comment by Amber – October 18, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot give any credibility to Tim Olyphant after I heard all the Olyphantastic stories from Kevin Smith in An Evening With Kevin Smith 3 xD

Comment by Polly – October 19, 2011 02:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TO gets all the credibility he needs from his acting…he is fantastic in this show…born to play this role. Others in Hollywood seem to like TO just fine and the only one I’ve ever heard say anything at all derogatory about him is Kevin Smith…sounds like sour grapes to me. Better looking guy…better actor…successful television show…heck, I’d be jealous, too.

Comment by jbkr73 – October 19, 2011 03:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • a.Kevin Smith is not an actor, and he’s the first to admit it!
        b.Kevin Smith spans all media and is not confined in tv/movies. His podcasts are hilarious, the comics he wrote are awesome, the books he wrote were a laughfest.
        c.I wasn’t taking credibility away from Tim, I was just stating my personal opinion on the guy. I liked him, a lot, on deadwood.

Comment by Polly – October 19, 2011 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking 3some. Loves me some Carla Gugino.

Comment by Sizuper – October 20, 2011 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just found out about the three new additions to season 3 and I am already impressed. I’ve been a fan of Williamson since his portrayal of ‘Bubba’ in Forrest Gump, I could easily see the very talented McDonough pulling off a desperado type of role, and sexy Carla Gugino should definitely add another twist to Raylan’s lovelife. Last season could be hard to top but with these new cast members the potential is there. Can’t wait !

Comment by John B – October 23, 2011 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I HOPE Winona is killed off this season!!! :O)

Comment by LYNN – November 30, 2011 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post